Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

monkeytek posted:

No kink shaming here, friend.

Being gay is a kink now? Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Why Are You In Such A Hurry? posted:

I'd like to know why people are so anxious for the game to 'release'. Does this community have a higher than normal number of people close to end-of-life? Lots of terminal illnesses or something? I'm genuinely curious!

It seems a lot of people joined the program all because of Squadron 42. Do you realize if Squadron 42 had launched in 2014/2015, you would've been done with it by 2016? And then you'd have nothing to do or look forward to, SQ42 people.

Lots of games, in fact almost all large-scale/AAA/Open World games, take 10+ years to develop. The fact that CIG/RSI started from absolutely nothing, and has allowed the people to be a part of the process and even play the early game; is pretty amazing TBH. No other studio does this. They take their 10+ years and keep you in the dark, then they generally release a shoddy, half-assed product that everyone complains about, anyway.

Sure CIG made some 'promises' early on, but you have to realize the evolving process. In order to create an eternal universe that people will likely spend their entire lives in, in the future... You gotta have a solid, detailed and enduring base to build upon. Just relax... They got this!

quote:

Here's the thing...

The other AAA titles that take 10+ years aren't in open development. We couldn't play RDR2 when it was just out of white-box or still in alpha. We get a sneak peak frame or video once every couple of years if we're lucky. With SC we get to play it as it's being created which tends to make people a little antsy. They see the cool ships with no gameplay behind them or that one thing they really want to do or buy isn't on the roadmap yet because there are 385 other things that need to get done first.

People want everything now. GImme gimme.
Shut up and take my money, but now you have to listen to me whine and complain because I'm not a software engineer or Dev and I have no clue how to make online pew pew games, but here's my money now gimme my game.
Everybody wants to become an armchair Dev that thinks they have some sorta stake in CIG so their opinion now matters. It doesn't. We're here for the ride and experience to see how the sausage is made.

I was 35 or so when I pledged. I'm now 45. I hope to play by the time I hit 50.
So yeah, I'm sure that some out there may be hoping they play this before they die.
I know there are more crusty dudes around here than me.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Star Citizen: It feels like a lot of money, and out of context, it is a lot of money.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mirificus posted:

I'd like to know why people are so anxious for the game to 'release'. Does this community have a higher than normal number of people close to end-of-life? Lots of terminal illnesses or something? I'm genuinely curious!

Actually, it would not surprise me one bit if this was the case. Without a doubt Star Citizen fans trend older. And I can't prove it but I'm gonna say they trend fatter too

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bar Citizen photos back up your thesis.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They're going to drive the whales extinct again, except instead of hunting them for their oil they will do it purely through failing to release an actual game

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Some Idiot posted:

Why Are You In Such A Hurry?

Cause you can easily die before the game is "finished"

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

All games take 10+ years of development.

All games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DaysBefore posted:

T also stands for Titanic, maybe they're trying to send you a message

The message being, of course, buy an Idris

Message received. I bought 42 of them because that's my favorite number. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think I don't really want games to come out anymore.

I just want a yearly hype video, and every three months or so some blurb about how they're introducing caves into the game or something.

Actually having stuff come out is really dating you as a person. Only boomers "expect results".

Don't be a near-dead FUD-dy Duddy.

Live forever, like me, and enjoy nothing coming out forever like some kind of sick twilight zone episode.

Hell, I've been waiting to see New York for at least 109 years, but I'm waiting for it to be the best New York ever. I don't want a half-built poo poo tier New York like EA built.

:grin:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good for the backers to have patience (they need it) but they are asking the wrong questions. The big one is not how long do you have left but how long does Chris have?. If you kick the bucket then that's a drat shame, the game has lost a revenue stream but if Chris checks out then his vision is kaput.

What I'm trying to say is that they should start some sort of fund to ensure the well-being of Chris. A few millions a year ensuring that he's in good shape will go a long way over the decades to come.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

.random posted:

Being gay is a kink now? Wow

Any thing but male and women missionary is kink!

Stop bringing your impure thought here!!

Go stand in the corner with lust on your mind!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

trucutru posted:

Good for the backers to have patience (they need it) but they are asking the wrong questions. The big one is not how long do you have left but how long does Chris have?. If you kick the bucket then that's a drat shame, the game has lost a revenue stream but if Chris checks out then his vision is kaput.

What I'm trying to say is that they should start some sort of fund to ensure the well-being of Chris. A few millions a year ensuring that he's in good shape will go a long way over the decades to come.

I AM WILLING to sell Chris the vitamins he needs in these troubled times. Or better yet, the backers can pay me for them and I'll definitely make sure they find their way to Chris

Hit me up on Telegram

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1471620399997886472

At least something... for now.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I too self-identify as a “stalker”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

trucutru posted:

to be morbid, him kicking it might be the biggest thing they ever did to take a step forward to release. he's the golden goat to pull in the cash, but he is also a curse, absolutely detrimental to every step of the actual developmental process. if he's gone, the money waterfall turns off so they either abandon ship/release as-is to acclaim from the most invested, or they get a real person in charge who takes what they have, makes em polish and pump it out something they can actually make.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Play posted:

They're going to drive the whales extinct again, except instead of hunting them for their oil they will do it purely through failing to release an actual game

That's the part where you're wrong. CI¿G? is practically Greenpeace when it comes to whale conservation.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I've dipped a toe in the cesspit that is Spectrum and you're not wrong but as we know, Citizens are nothing if not resilient and as with all things CIG-related, they'll soon calm down and start spending pledging again once the next great ship appears on the shopping list to punch above its weight.

Indeed, and I'm pinning all my hopes on a Star Citizen NFT coming in the New Year (once someone explains in baby talk to Chris what they are).

Reckon I could pre order a star citizen NFT? I know the pre order won't be in the block chain but I trust CIG completely with my digital receipts

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

trucutru posted:

How old is CR ... Retirement can't be that far off

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Mr Fronts posted:

Star Citizen: It feels like a lot of money, and out of context, it is a lot of money.

Context pipeline is under development.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalPenny posted:

How old is CR ... Retirement can't be that far off

53 with some heavy vitamin usage~

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

to be morbid, him kicking it might be the biggest thing they ever did to take a step forward to release. he's the golden goat to pull in the cash, but he is also a curse, absolutely detrimental to every step of the actual developmental process. if he's gone, the money waterfall turns off so they either abandon ship/release as-is to acclaim from the most invested, or they get a real person in charge who takes what they have, makes em polish and pump it out something they can actually make.

Chris has, is, and will continue to deliver exactly what the backers want: their dream game, with an emphasis on the "dream" part. As long as they can continue to pay-to-dream they'll continue to do so. If you see it that way then Chris has undeniably being a blessing, not a curse.

Delivering the game is the worst thing that could happen to everybody involved.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bullying works!!!!

BTW, the now-deleted reasoning they gave for why they wanted to have NFTs in the game is very illuminating: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/16/22840383/stalker-2-developer-explain-nfts-gsc-game-world-deleted-tweet

Mostly it begs the question... If you need funding, and you want to do it through selling NPC likenesses in the game, then why wouldn't you just use Kickstarter????

Or wait not Kickstarter because they're moving onto the blockchain. For... Some reason. But like any other funding site. Or just sell the slots directly. Whatever!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

commando in tophat posted:

Is the blockchain just the new "cloud"? I mean, except more stupid

The technology itself is pretty interesting, but extremely inefficient at scale. The real money is in the buzzwords that come out of it - NFT, cryptocurrency, Web 3.0, etc. It sounds a lot like the chat in the dotbomb era when you could say "website" and people would throw money at you. Any game dev that has an earnings call this year is definitely going to be asked about what it is doing with NFTs by investors who have no idea what they're talking about, and the dev will have to at least pretend they have a strategy despite also not knowing what they're talking about.

Though NFTs did give us the "right-clicker" pejorative, which always makes me giggle, so at least that's on positive.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WholeWearyImago-mobile.mp4

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Ladies and Gentlemen...

We have received confirmation...

That Star Citizen runs Epic Games software.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen...

:gary:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I would personally wait - CIG just decided to force Tencent-epic Malware onto peoples computer.

Best to wait and see if CIG is deciding to be subservient to Tencent-epic or they're going to rethink using malware or not.

quote:

Nope not at all - quite confident I won't be installing that malware on my PC even if that means thanks to CIG being beholden to Tencent-epic I wont be able to play anymore.

You do you though.

quote:

Considering CIG have opted to force Tencent-epic malware into their game, how do you think the people who are refusing to install it feel?

Seriously I finally finished my new PC build a day or two before they sold their backers PCs out to Tencent-epic for data harvesting, so now when I could finally play the drat thing I'm back to not being able to.

quote:

The game is in alpha I don't give a flying toss about cheaters, the game has way more pressing issues than forcing malware onto backers.

Which is why I would like to reduce invasive malware as much as possible when given the option. Tencent-epic's software is not something I want on my PC for sensible reasons obviously.

Stop making assumptions on people you know nothing about - I genuinely have my reasons and I sincerely encourage everyone to avoid SC until they remove EAC and explore other options or inhouse it.

I've said it before I've stuck with CIG through thick and thin, and defended CIG many times - but them getting cozy with Tencent-epic and it's malware is not something I can in any good conscious support or encourage.

quote:

EAC Malware is still in the patch?

Well I can skip this patch too it seems.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen...

As I'm sure this will be a hilarious source of comedy from CIG once again.... can someone explain what's going on?

Isn't the Epic Games store just a steam clone? Why would they need to use it at all with their own in-house lovely as gently caress launcher?

How is it mal-ware and what's the big deal, aside from them obviously making a back-door deal with Epic Games and not telling the backers about it

Surprise of surprise just before Christmas!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

EOS means Epic Online Services. The overlay thing doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself, but you can indeed implement Easy Anti Cheat with EOS. From context, presumably that is what CIG is doing. A lot of games on Steam have EOS in them, even single-player games.

Idk if EOS is used to harvest data but it's kind of silly for commandos to worry about it. CIG doesn't seem like it'd be shy about harvesting your data directly.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 17, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blue On Blue posted:

How is it mal-ware and what's the big deal, aside from them obviously making a back-door deal with Epic Games and not telling the backers about it

They've got dealings with Tencent, and thus are Chinese. For more info on these concerns see here.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

They've got dealings with Tencent, and thus are Chinese. For more info on these concerns see here.

See also this post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760415&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post493109514

The EAC/Tencent scare mongering also probably has a healthy dose of racism.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen...

SQ42 prelude to chapter 1... an epic Games store exclusive !

Please please please come true. It would just be too funny.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
If C1G is using Unreal they might somehow cobble together an actual game, holy poo poo.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Molineux: Let me preface this by saying this is not pyramid selling. It' more of a circle of trust.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I feel like Sweeney is an absolute slimeball, am happy to be comfortable enough to be able afford buying my games from anyone else, and would thus be likely described by reddit as an "EGS hater". Yet even I can't help rolling my eyes at the Epic/Tencent chinese spyware conspiracy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Khanstant posted:

Actually Chris’s health is irrelevant. If SC comes out and is amazing, it will be his monument and a testament to his greatness: if it’s terrible (hard to contemplate) he was the one vital irreplaceable ingredient which is a testament to his greatness.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I agree, buy an Idris.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Torquemada posted:

Actually Chris’s health is irrelevant. If SC comes out and is amazing, it will be his monument and a testament to his greatness: if it’s terrible (hard to contemplate) he was the one vital irreplaceable ingredient which is a testament to his greatness.
It doesn't matter whether it comes out, hardcore whale will praise it for its 'ambition' and 'potential' regardless of the result and facts. For every whale that has epiphany and goes 'maybe Chris and his perfectionism and mismanagement are to blame' and quietly stops spending, there will be another whale unaware of this game's past that will replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dwesa posted:

It doesn't matter whether it comes out, hardcore whale will praise it for its 'ambition' and 'potential' regardless of the result and facts.

They're one step ahead of that. The true believers started hedging their bets like 3-4 years ago with talk about how they were "just happy to be part of this ambitious project". Yes, that's exactly how I'd feel about a guy in an LA mansion purchased with my money when I'm 20k in the hole. A totally reasonable conclusion.

FishMcCool posted:

Yet even I can't help rolling my eyes at the Epic/Tencent chinese spyware conspiracy.

"If you buy anything from China, you're asking for it" I type into my phone made in China, but sold by a wholesome American name like Apple or Google.