Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Pandas
Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pick them: Pandas and Doom.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Preseason Pick 'em!

Who Will Win the Memento Mori Division?

Burns Zephyrs

Who Will Win the Vae Victis Division?

Towa City Demon Hunters

Who Will Win the Sic Transit Vir Division?

Raleigh Red Pandas

Who Will Win the Dynamo League Wildcards? (PICK TWO!)

SanSan Outlaws
World Warriors

Who Will Win the Dynamo League?
Burns Zephyrs

Who Will Win the Mark Bellhorn Division?

Khartoum Doom

Who Will Win the Senor Goodtimes Division?

Kobe Crows

Who Will Win the Norris-Smythe Division?

Walney Rakers

Who Will Win the Smasher League Wildcards? (PICK TWO!)

Portland Panderers
Mexico City Machine Elves

Who Will Win the Smasher League?

Kobe Crows

Who Will Win Super-League XXXI?

Kobe Crows

Who Will Win the Rock HopperDivision?

Krakow Dragons

Who Will Win the Adelie Division?

Oklahoma City Bombers

Who Will Win the Snares Division?

Milan Mosquitoes

Who Will Win the Chinstrap Division

Glass Spiders

Which of the Above Teams Will Win the Sub-Par Bowl?

Oklahoma City Bombers

Week 1 Pick 'Em
Pandas
Doom

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Sub-Par League XIX, Week 1 Injury Report

Horny Goats
George Grantham (1B) (Granted death instead of ham) - 211 days

Onigiri Hedgehogs
Mariano Rivera (RP) (Mariana refuses to play for a team named after any type of food that isn't Italian) - 81 days

South Dakota Marmosets
Mickey Cochrane (C) (Dying alone) - 36 days

Winnipeg Baseball Club
Dick Rudolph (P) (Who?) - 26 days
Steve Cishek (RP) (Unfortunate ultimate frisbee related accident) - 142 days

If anyone would like to do some sub-par writing, please send me a DM on Discord.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXXI, Week 1: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY READ THE WRITING STUFF AND THEN VOTE!

Pungry's Big Adventure, Part 1 posted:

As had become routine these days, Pungry woke up to the performatively outraged tones of habeasdorkus, once more breathlessly exhorted his listeners to "stand up" to the tyranny of Smasher Dynamo. At one point, not too long ago, Pungry recalled, habeasdorkus had taken more care to disguise his real ambitions, but times had changed, and the need for subtlety had been discarded as useless surplusage.

"What the Super-League needs." habeasdorkus said, and Pungry could almost picture the exact sneer the Bidens' owner had on his face as he said it, "is a commissar who will treat teams fairly, who will work faithfully on the league, and who will not treat the Super-League as some burden that he is eager to get rid of. I don't know about you, but I don't think that describes Smasher Dynamo all that well, does it?"

Pungry turned off his alarm. He had other things to worry about than habeasdorkus' endless attempts to subvert the Super-League. After all, today was the first day of Super-League XXXII, and that meant, among other things, that the next day was the first day of the latest Sub-Par League, and he was the new Sub-Par League Sub-Commissar.

Granted, most people thought he was a fool to take on that position. The previous Sub-Commissars, almost to a man, had seen the pressures of the Sub-Par League manifest themselves in grotesque physical ailments, as though the Sub-Par League itself were so toxic that it was capable of reaching into the viscera of those who sought to control it, and twist and rend the entrails of any foolish enough to pretend they could be its master. The Sub-Par League was a monstrous beast, the line of thinking went, created by Smasher Dynamo to offload his suffering unto others, a creature of malicious intent that was so corrupt at its outset that all it could offer was sorrow and pain.

But Pungry did not believe that. He would not believe that. It was true that Smasher Dynamo tended to paint the Super-League in the darkest of terms, and so too the Sub-Par League, but that was a reflection of Smasher Dynamo's own nature, and not necessarily the inherent nature of the Super-League or the Sub-Par League. Pungry knew enough about literature to understand the "Death of the Author" theory.

Checking his phone, Pungry saw a new email from Smasher, and decided to check it out quickly,

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pungry,

Time is at a premium, so I will be as brief as possible. Many years ago, I discovered that the internal structure of the Super-League was not as resilient as I had once hoped. Ultimately, there were certain interconnected portions of the Super-League that relied on mutual support in order to survive.

To explain this concept in another way, I would ask that you consider the concept of the geodesic dome. The popular conception is that a geodesic dome grows stronger as it gets larger, as each section reinforces the other sections. That is, from a technical perspective, not true, as although it gets proportionally stronger as it gets larger, it is not as though a geodesic dome is capable of resisting fundamental forces such as gravity. Regardless, the idea that each section supports the other sections, and those other sections also support each other is similar to the workings of the Super-League.

I would explain the analogy further, but, as I said, I am pressed for time.

As I said, the structure of the Super-League is made of these interconnected sections, and to remove one is to potentially cause a great deal of damage as a result. As you have probably surmised by now, the section of the Super-League that has been removed is the South Bolton Eazy W's.

Though I am, as stated previously, pressed for time, I do think it is important to briefly restate my rationale for removing the South Bolton Eazy W's from the Super-League. As it stood, there simply was no good end for the team other than retirement. To have them face the Macho Men as they were was pointless, as the entire premise of the Macho Men is present the sternest challenge I can muster, and having a team controlled by myself face of against them is little more than the world's least interesting thought experiment. Although, to be fair, even calling it a thought experiment overstates its meaning, as pitting my own wits against my own wits proves nothing, says nothing, accomplishes nothing.

I could have, I suppose, given them to another owner, but the thought giving that storied of a team to an unknown quantity, and very likely to then have to see said unknown quantity run the Eazy W's into the ground was not a particularly palatable idea. After all, haven't we all seen that story enough in real life as it is? I am sure you, as a fan of Seattle sports, such as they are, know all too well that a poor owner can lead to misery, and I do not see the point in proving that people in the Super-League can be as foolhardy as a franchise owner.

Again, I am pressed for time, so I will leave my explanation for the decision I made at that for now, although, it may be necessary to discuss in greater detail, at some point in the future, why exactly I chose the moment in time I did to remove the W's, as, after all, it would have been just as appropriate the year before.

Indeed, as I am pressed for time, I must now pivot back to the crucial matter at hand, and that is about the stability of the Super-League as a whole. As you have noticed, the update in Week One does not contain any of the Pokemon LP that I had been using to fill space, and there is, in fact, a good reason for that decision as well.

Indeed, while my belief is that the Pokemon LP has generally been well-received and, even if that were not the case, is so much easier to create that any ire it generates is vastly outweighed by labor it saves, we stand at a moment where there is simply no time for such frivolity, as the very future of the Super-League hangs in the balance, and I am running out of time to give you an absolutely critical instruction that you will either follow, and thus have a chance to save the Super-League, or not, and therefore drat my creation to utter ruin.

This imperative, which I am about to relate to you even though, as I type these words, I see that I am only seconds away from being unable to communicate with you, is essential. Everything that ever can be from this league is dependent on you heeding these next words:

Pungry, you must not

The message cut out there, and Pungry guessed that whatever pressing contingency Smasher had referred to repeatedly had occurred at that point.

Pungry pondered the directive. It was obviously incomplete. The rest of the message offered vague clues, that it likely related to some critical part of the Super-League that had been connected to the W's, but beyond that, he had no real idea what he was going to do.

What will Pungry do?

A. Eat a complete breakfast!

B. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder

C. Acquire a pet kitten

D. Attack and dethrone God

Games of the Week

THE DOOM ARE HOLDING GOLD AGAIN!

Also, it's a rare instance of the AI probably the right move in terms of pitcher use, even if it ended poorly, since John Ward hadn't thrown that many pitches, and had been doing well against the Doom heading into the 8th. Granted, the Doom ended up scoring the winning run, but that sort of thing happens.

Now, in this game, you can make the case that the AI should have sent in the closer for the Deck Chairs in the bottom of the ninth. Except, except, except, except...

...the Deck Chairs' closer is The Elusive Closer. So, letting Rube Waddell blow the game on his own is getting to the same result, just saving us all some time. And we should all be grateful for that.

It is just one series, but the Demon Hunters losing two or three at home against the Misanthropes, an admittedly prety good team, but one that the Demon Hunters are literally engineered to beat, especially at home, is not the best omen in the world.

If we ended the season right now, the Tugboats would make the playoffs!

Can we? Can we end the season after one week?

We can't, huh? That's a shame.

Team Statistics

Standings

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pungry must not undertake his journey without the aid of a cute sidekick kitten.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I already have a pet kitten. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have another, so C.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

D. Attack and dethrone God.

Also, now that I'm actually following the season, I'm already feeling the impulse to make roster changes. Gotta remember it's only been three days.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
86.7 KKIX The Thunder is a good station. B

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can spell kitten without C, but in this case you should.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

You can't do B through D without a good A

Eat some drat breakfast.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
B. Good tunes for the morning will set the mood, which will pay dividends later.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Gotta get the kitten, C

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Obviously pungry is getting a kitten(C) and nothing will go wrong

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Gotta vote A, breakfast is extremely important.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Pungry should turn on, tune in, and drop out. B

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

D! god must pay for what he hath wrought

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
B: 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
D.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Kittens are essential adventuring gear! Pungry gets a kitten (C).

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
It is time for Cat.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i am 3-0.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Acquire a kitten.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

C is for cat so get a kitten

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Fools! The Kitten is obviously a trap!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
they does B.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
We can't end the season after three games? :(

Pungry just woke up, so breakfast is the natural thing to do next.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Subpar Season XIX, Week 1, Pungry's Small Adventure

Games of the Week

quote:

RAY HERBERT MELTS LIKE SHERBERT AS CHANCERS LOSE 3-2 ON OPENING NIGHT

The Seventh Sea Chancers were… how you say… “bad” in the Expansion Cup. Beating a division contender after losing 128 games in the expansion cup would’ve been a huge victory for Ablative’s new-look Chancers. So, going into the ninth, up 2 to 1 with the bottom of Winnipeg’s lineup due up, Ablative turned to solid-but-forgotten Ray Herbert to shut the door. Herbert rolled a 1.

Roberto Clemente hit a one-out single to start the rally off, and scored on a Robinson Cano triple, which you know is a bad sign. Wade Boggs hit a ground ball to shortstop Lou Boudreau, who decided that Cano’s speed was too much, and Boudreau threw to first instead of home, letting Cano score the winning run. Tom Daly hit a two-out single in the bottom of the ninth to give the Chancers some life, but Pete Rose immediately grounded out to end the game.

“Yeehaw! It’s time for y’all to fly that Canadian W, pardners!” said Winnipeg Baseball Team’s owner, Edward Mass. “Now, I know what most folks are thinkin’. What’s this Texan doing with a Canadian team? Well, I’ll tell ya one thing, cowboy: we ain’t movin’. This ain’t the Expos, son! All the cattle I need are already here in Winnipeg giving the finest Canadian bacon in the Americas! Just don’t you pay no mind to the low-effort redesign of the team’s logo and name—the Nordiques made a big show of a new logo and proved to be all hat. Not like us Winnipeg Baseball Teamers… we’re sticking in the True North just like the stars.”

Chancer owner Ablative was nonplussed by the loss. “What is but one more loss on this journey we call life other than another stepping stone to its conclusion? As we roll through our lives, one D20 roll after the other, there will be times we roll twenties, and there will be times we roll ones, but is it not the best course of action to roll with the punches instead? I expect my team’s luck to turn around sometime. Ideally before it loses another 128 games.”

quote:

MARMOSETS CANNOT COMPLETE COMEBACK AFTER SNEKI SNEKS 10-RUN THIRD, LOSE 12-11

American hero CBX’s new team exploded for ten runs on nine hits in the third, and sent fifteen men to the plate in the process. But Sneki Sneks’ starter Pedro Martinez almost single-handedly gave the game back to the South Dakota Marmosets over the course of the next three innings, exiting the game with a 12-10 lead. Willie Hernandez gave up another run, but John Wetteland shut the door with a four-out save, giving the Sneki Sneks a big win over a Twin Cities Triad titan.

“What a heckin chonker of a won!” said CBX. “Pedro was doin me a frighten as he borked the Marmos right into mlem range of my Sneki Sneks, but Wetty booped the Marmo’s snoot for teh win!” When asked why he kept Martinez in the game through six innings despite giving up ten runs (six earned) in that timeframe, CBX responded “Martinez is a longboi. How could you look into that floofer’s face and tell him ‘no’? He just wants to be fren.”

Marmosets’ owner Zodiac5000 expressed sadness in his post-game interview. “It’s times like these that prove that we’re all just going to die alone in the end. Nothing really matters. Pash will never pick me up from the bar that is life. I am doomed to die alone, and I don’t even have Chelsea Baker to kill me anymore.” A reporter pointed out that Zodiac could always ask for The Final Donslaught to do the honors. “Donslaught? Pah. Do you know why he’s The Final Donslaught? It’s not because he’s strong. It’s because he’s too weak to survive. He is the last man in the noble Donslaught lineage. He should have oodles of women throwing themselves at him. Instead, Kelsie Whitmore is throwing softballs at him. Pathetic man.”

quote:

STICK CLUB APPELATION HITHER NOTCHES FIRST WIN BEFORE NOTCHING NAME BY OUTLASTING MOSQUITOES 4-3 IN TEN INNINGS

Albert Pujols made up for ending the Stick Club’s eighth-inning rally by driving home Dan Brouthers in the bottom of the tenth to beat the Milan Mosquitoes 4-3. Mosquito reliever Stan Covelski took the loss after throwing 44 pitches in 2 innings of work while real baseballer that everyone loves, Tom Burgmeier, got the win for his scoreless inning of work in the tenth.

Mosquitoes’ owner GVOLTT was not amused by the loss. “How can this team be allowed to play without a name? Winnipeg Baseball Team is already stretching the idea of a team name, and you expect me to believe something called ‘Stick Club Appellation Hither’ can fly? That name can’t even fit inside of Mogul’s character limits! They’re ‘Stick Club Appellation Hith’! I’ll refer to this band of losers as the ‘Hiths’ from now on.” said GVOLTT. “And for those of you doubting whether there are mosquitoes in Milan or not, I’ll have you know there’s over 500,000 results for ‘milan mosquitoes’ on Google. Not that I’d ever go to godless Italy to check.”

Hiths owner TheoSqua reportedly showed up for his post-game interview, but all that was in the press conference chair was a baseball bat with a face drawn on it. Press were instructed that all questions be directed to “El Shaddai” who kept the same look of slight self-satisfaction in silence as reporters asked question after question about Stick Club’s logo, origins, lineups, and connection to God. The press conference ended as reporters walked out in frustration while Shaddai kept his all-knowing look.

Small sample size theatre, but perhaps try getting more Bs in the bullpen instead of Cs as they lead to Ls.

Splitting a series with the Bombers has to feel good, even if it may not feel great that Rheal Deal Cornier couldn’t close one of those one-run losses out.

Unsurprisingly, this team’s offense does not appear to be what’ll hold them back. Stolen base leader Babe Ruth might.

The Hype Machine off to a strong start.

Pegasus Knight Eddie Plank keeps getting sniped by arrows because you refuse to move him out of range of the ballista. Why? Why do you do this to one-thirds the
Golden Deer triangle attack?

Trashcan functionality has finally been added to mogul, it appears.

Grantham sacrificed himself to counteract the usual blood magik from the Dragons. It led to a 4 game sweep, so it wasn’t in vain.

Small sample size but it feels comforting to see anyone with a worse slashline than Jarred Kelenic, 2021 Mariner.

Mickey Mantle and Rod Carew sure have some wacky-rear end slashlines this early for completely opposite reasons.

George Sisler’s plague has found its way onto half your starting lineup. Unfortunate, but what else do you expect to happen to a team called the Mosquitoes?

Four out of seven games decided by one run. This team will give its fans heart attacks.

Everyone in the Super League agrees: it’s time to put Ichiro in at 2B for Lou Whitaker.

No, seriously, what is a bokonononononist? Is there a Gwen Stefani song that’ll help me learn how to spell it?

At least Gehringer is killing the hell out of the baseball?

Solid start. Gonna be fun to see how the Adelie division separates itself out.

It will be very hard to win games scoring 1.5 runs per game. But, hey, pitching and defense looks good!

I’m very glad it’s Kelsie Whitmore and not Chelsea Baker on this team these days. She would absolutely kill everyone with this level of pitching.

Hither and thither this team comes and goes. Stan Musial off to a great start.

This team got a little unlucky this week. Low-event baseball can be effective if your events are stronger than your opponents, so I recommend hitting more homeruns.

Raise the W!

Standings

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pungry should GET A KITTEN

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XXXI, Week 2 Injury Report

Bidens
Ryne Sandberg (2B) (FILIBUSTERED!) - 7 days
Cy Young (SP) (Imagine I posted a .gif of Sinema giving that thumb's down!) - 30 days

SanSan Outlaws
Dizzy Dean (SP) (We had some fun with injuries last update...AND THE FUN DON'T STOP!) - 13 days

The Hague Honkbalers
Volk Hammer (1B/OF) (Now the time is here, for mks5000 to know fear!) - 110 days

Pick 'em: KITTENS NEVER FAIL!

Omni-Titles
Khartoum Doom (c) @ The Hague Honkbalers

Grand Slam Championships
Raleigh Red Pandas (c) @ Los Angeles Misanthropes

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Champs retain.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Then, now and forever, Champs retain.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

As for Pungry, he needs another kitten friend. (C)

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
That's a Champs Retain and boy it sure would suck if somebody picked Honkbal to win the Bellhorn before that Volk Hammer injury

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Champs retain

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Champs retain

Also I still refuse to make lineup changes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Champs retain.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheMcD posted:

Pick'Em: Champs retain.