Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RA Rx posted:

PS. Does Amaris have a chance​? How will things end??
Hopefully the Demon Hawks show up!

Unfortunately for the Clans the Demon Hawks weren't the only mercenary group to be employed by Amaris.
He's also hired Ex-Solaris jockeys who, when down on their luck were forced to clean the blood, oil and broken dreams from the Arenas they once fought in.

Undine Armored Strike Division meets... THE RESERVOIR DOGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gwaihir posted:

Not even the infamous bouncy APCs bug??

E: Oh drat, everything really​is covered. That owns!

(I never played pirate's Moon, either)

That one was too hard for me but the multiplayer was great. Elemental versus whatever boss fights forever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chronojam posted:

MW3 with some sensible loadout restrictions would be the best but things sort of went in a weird direction after that one

I feel like the problem with all these games is that the guns all shoot where you point them. It's too easy to core things, like everyone's got a super rad TC all the time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like the problem with all these games is that the guns all shoot where you point them. It's too easy to core things, like everyone's got a super rad TC all the time.

I liked Mechwarrior 2's solution to that. If you didn't hit very specific bounding spheres but just hit the big 'general sphere' that made up most of the `Mech, it'd randomly determine your damage location.

Of course, that didn't help the Jenner in MW2:M since its head sphere poked a good ways out of the general sphere so it was practically impossible to miss, but eh.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I liked Mechwarrior 2's solution to that. If you didn't hit very specific bounding spheres but just hit the big 'general sphere' that made up most of the `Mech, it'd randomly determine your damage location.

Of course, that didn't help the Jenner in MW2:M since its head sphere poked a good ways out of the general sphere so it was practically impossible to miss, but eh.

MW3 was by far the worst offender because you could unlock the weapon tracking from the torso - I think caps lock did it - and just aim with the mouse cursor directly. It's easy enough to control legs and torso independently with the keyboard, and it was more or less impossible to miss. Click mech body part, deal damage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Olesh posted:

MW3 was by far the worst offender because you could unlock the weapon tracking from the torso - I think caps lock did it - and just aim with the mouse cursor directly. It's easy enough to control legs and torso independently with the keyboard, and it was more or less impossible to miss. Click mech body part, deal damage.

If you build a Devastator you can one-shot any mech in the game just by aiming at a leg.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Poor Warhammer.

Also - Scarabus - isn't his melee damage 3, or did he inexplicably shoot?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Olesh posted:

The intro video has a Vulture headcapping a Summoner with LRMs through a ruined skyscraper by doing this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Olesh posted:

Yeah but this was also awesome since you could be a badass and point one arm behind yourself.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . in anticipation of the BattleTech Backer Beta tomorrow.

Gwaihir posted:

I was talking about the Battletech beta tomorrow with some other friends . . .

Would be very interested in your take on the Backer Beta.

I'm a backer as well, and, due to my current schedule, I won't be able to play it for a few weeks, by which time the beta will must likely be over, multiplayer delay or otherwise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CourValant posted:

I'm a backer as well, and, due to my current schedule, I won't be able to play it for a few weeks, by which time the beta will must likely be over, multiplayer delay or otherwise.

Good news, it likely won't. The manual states their intention (note, not an ironclad promise) that they want to leave it up for at least a month after releasing multiplayer. So you're probably okay.

I imagine we should keep most of that to the main thread in Games but sweet DFA gifs might show up here, you never know!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
You did well, Scarabus!

Fellow goons, and Poptarts. I've got a question. I can put my Watchman on the Jinggau's six, will it be able to retaliate in the physical phase? I'd like to give it a free kick in the butt on my way to intercepy the Galleon.

Warhammerbuddy, can you fire some shots while you withdraw?

I can do a suicide run on the Galleon with the Hunchback, I'll hit on 4+2+2+1=9 I think. The other course of action is bumrushing the Jinggau and hope to kill it in one turn. One way or the other the Hunchie is done. Thoughts?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh, I'm definitely shooting on my way out, for all the good it will do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Would be very interested in your take on the Backer Beta.

I'm streaming it now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sparq posted:

You did well, Scarabus!

Fellow goons, and Poptarts. I've got a question. I can put my Watchman on the Jinggau's six, will it be able to retaliate in the physical phase? I'd like to give it a free kick in the butt on my way to intercepy the Galleon.

Warhammerbuddy, can you fire some shots while you withdraw?

I can do a suicide run on the Galleon with the Hunchback, I'll hit on 4+2+2+1=9 I think. The other course of action is bumrushing the Jinggau and hope to kill it in one turn. One way or the other the Hunchie is done. Thoughts?

It won't be able to melee you if you're directly behind it.

For the Hunchback, there's a couple options, I think, you could go to 1718 and take shots at the last scout tank, I think with 8s. Between your re-roll ability, and the Spider, you should have a decent chance of clinching you all's primary objective. I think with you alone shooting you have about a 65% chance to kill the tank thanks to that re-roll. If the spider goes for it with a point blank jump n shoot, then the chance of a kill rises to about 80%.

Another option is the Spider could join your Watchman in shooting the Jinggau directly in the back, via jumping to 1514. With the bonus damage thanks to backshots, you'd have a quite good chance of making something happen there- Your shots would strip the armor, and then melee would force the Jinggau to withdraw. Then, if the Hunchback doesn't hit on this turn, that still leaves the Spider able to jump point blank in to the Galleon on the following turn to try and secure the kill.

The Hunchback is definitely a goner unless it gets fabulously lucky though.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Thanks; will VOD it later.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My thoughts so far:

Gameplay seems pretty solid. It's got this weird stability mechanic I don't care for, and heat is way more unforgiving than it should be.

Heat seems a little too punishing, it doesn't go down quickly enough. My ON1-V was stuck with using its SRMs most of the fight because that's all it could afford to use heatwise. If my griffin tried to fire its PPCs and LRMs twice in a row it would start taking internal damage from heat.

The camera is a little clunky, it doesn't scroll well.

I like how there's different types of autocannon. My Orion's AC-10 fires one big projectile, while the Hunchback and Centurion fired a stream of projectiles.

I legged a hunchback and it just fell over but was able to get back up next turn without a problem and limp along at half speed. Not sure how I feel about that.

You can only melee + shoot if you have small lasers and machineguns and stuff, making melee mostly a thing to do if you're overheating badly or out of guns for a lot of mechs.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 1, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

My thoughts so far:

Gameplay seems pretty solid. It's got this weird stability mechanic I don't care for, and heat is way more unforgiving than it should be.

Heat seems a little too punishing, it doesn't go down quickly enough. My ON1-V was stuck with using its SRMs most of the fight because that's all it could afford to use heatwise. If my griffin tried to fire its PPCs and LRMs twice in a row it would start taking internal damage from heat.

I like how there's different types of autocannon. My Orion's AC-10 fires one big projectile, while the Hunchback and Centurion fired a stream of projectiles.

I legged a hunchback and it just fell over but was able to get back up next turn without a problem and limp along at half speed. Not sure how I feel about that.

You can only melee + shoot if you have small lasers and machineguns and stuff, making melee mostly a thing to do if you're overheating badly or out of guns for a lot of mechs.
How many times have you been headshot?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Skoll posted:

Wrong thread.

I seem to see people discussing the backer beta a few posts up?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

chutche2 posted:

I seem to see people discussing the backer beta a few posts up?

Is it acceptable to discuss the Backer Beta here? I don't want to mess in PTN's yard if he rather we not detail?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CourValant posted:

Is it acceptable to discuss the Backer Beta here? I don't want to mess in PTN's yard if he rather we not detail?

he's literally streaming it a few posts up so I think he doesn't mind too much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As someone who didn't back it but might well buy it, I don't care about mechanics chat but would rather avoid any story spoilers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In other BT news, BattleTech finally got a new Line Director.

The art direction has been pretty good so I think this is a positive move.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

SIGSEGV posted:

he's literally streaming it a few posts up so I think he doesn't mind too much.

Yeah, all the same, I'd like PTN's approval before I spurge on a mechanics discussion.

goatface posted:

As someone who didn't back it but might well buy it, I don't care about mechanics chat but would rather avoid any story spoilers.

There's literally no story to spoil; the beta is a single player skirmish mode with no mods and a few maps. Multi-player will be added 'shortly'.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

goatface posted:

Spoilers:
We shoot robot.

Also, there is an HBS Battletech thread as well, if we don't want to clutter up PTN's thread too much with game chat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

chutche2 posted:

My thoughts so far:

Heat does seem quite harsh, but it might be an attempt to enforce a slower pace to the game. The default max heat is 100, which is hard shutdown level, but I can't find anything to tell if heat sinks increase that. This game's PPCs generate 25 heat, for reference on that 100 heat cap.

The "Guts" skill increases the overheat % though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

It's a good thing. There's already a way to one-shot a `Mech via headcap, we don't need two. Letting `Mechs limp along until they lose both legs is a good thing.

chutche2 posted:

I used Melee constantly, it's rarely a bad choice but it seems to do even more if the pilot is inspired first (so, later in the match).

My big "beefs" (all of which were passed on in various surveys I took while playing) are:
- Light `Mechs aren't really in a good place. They're fast but much too fragile, and the good ones aren't significantly faster than mediums. Lights can't melee for poo poo so my dreams of a Locust kick circle are DOA (four Locusts can't even knock down another Locust in one turn). You can use a light well as bait, but only with a very specific pilot ability (the one that grants evasion when you move. Just dance back in forth in cover popping guard so you wind up with cover, evasive, guard, and entrenched simultaneously). Even then, don't do this in a Locust, a Commando or Jenner is better because they're somewhat tougher. Edit: They're also still much too small. A Locust feels less than 1/10th the size of an Atlas.

- Headshots and pilot injuries happen too often. The level they're at now would be fine for skirmish or multiplayer, but if it's like this in the campaign we're going to be losing pilots constantly and good luck getting a player character through the campaign without "retiring" due to crippling injury. Especially if we have to bring light `Mechs. Even Mediums can be a bit fragile, I can't imagine ever making real use of the Shadow Hawk when the Centurion is tougher, the Hunchback and Kintaro are more dangerous, and the Griffin--no, I'd take a Shadow Hawk over a Griffin.

- LRMs and PPCs feel a little weak for their heat. As a support weapon LRMs are great, but in one of the matches I had (an LRM Awesome, 2 Catapults, and a bait Commando) we killed an enemy Victor by knocking him down so often we killed the pilot without ever really breaching his armor--and then ran out of ammo shortly after. LRMs are really good at driving up the stability bar and scoring random headshots but they're also really, really bad at actually killing things. PPCs likewise: they do 1/3rd less damage than the AC/10 but have a minimum range that makes them tricky to use. As they are now I probably won't be going out of my way to use PPCs, the long range just isn't worth the heat.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I actually felt like LRMs felt really useful, to the point I was using them over my lasers in a fair amount of situations.

But I did use them primarily in a support and knockdown role. And for harassing lights and mediums.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a good thing. There's already a way to one-shot a `Mech via headcap, we don't need two. Letting `Mechs limp along until they lose both legs is a good thing.

I used Melee constantly, it's rarely a bad choice but it seems to do even more if the pilot is inspired first (so, later in the match).

My big "beefs" (all of which were passed on in various surveys I took while playing) are:
- Light `Mechs aren't really in a good place. They're fast but much too fragile, and the good ones aren't significantly faster than mediums. Lights can't melee for poo poo so my dreams of a Locust kick circle are DOA (four Locusts can't even knock down another Locust in one turn). You can use a light well as bait, but only with a very specific pilot ability (the one that grants evasion when you move. Just dance back in forth in cover popping guard so you wind up with cover, evasive, guard, and entrenched simultaneously). Even then, don't do this in a Locust, a Commando or Jenner is better because they're somewhat tougher. Edit: They're also still much too small. A Locust feels less than 1/10th the size of an Atlas.

- Headshots and pilot injuries happen too often. The level they're at now would be fine for skirmish or multiplayer, but if it's like this in the campaign we're going to be losing pilots constantly and good luck getting a player character through the campaign without "retiring" due to crippling injury. Especially if we have to bring light `Mechs. Even Mediums can be a bit fragile, I can't imagine ever making real use of the Shadow Hawk when the Centurion is tougher, the Hunchback and Kintaro are more dangerous, and the Griffin--no, I'd take a Shadow Hawk over a Griffin.

- LRMs and PPCs feel a little weak for their heat. As a support weapon LRMs are great, but in one of the matches I had (an LRM Awesome, 2 Catapults, and a bait Commando) we killed an enemy Victor by knocking him down so often we killed the pilot without ever really breaching his armor--and then ran out of ammo shortly after. LRMs are really good at driving up the stability bar and scoring random headshots but they're also really, really bad at actually killing things. PPCs likewise: they do 1/3rd less damage than the AC/10 but have a minimum range that makes them tricky to use. As they are now I probably won't be going out of my way to use PPCs, the long range just isn't worth the heat.

Got to agree, the griffin 1N has seemed so anemic. Its ppc and LRM 10 do basically nothing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I actually felt like LRMs felt really useful, to the point I was using them over my lasers in a fair amount of situations.

But I did use them primarily in a support and knockdown role. And for harassing lights and mediums.

They're not bad, but yeah. They do knockdowns, not damage. At least, not directly. Turns out you need six pilot hits to kill someone, same as tabletop.

The LRM Awesome is legitimately better than the PPC Awesome if enemies have to advance towards you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're not bad, but yeah. They do knockdowns, not damage. At least, not directly. Turns out you need six pilot hits to kill someone, same as tabletop.

The LRM Awesome is legitimately better than the PPC Awesome if enemies have to advance towards you.

I got the LRM Awesome by mistake (because I assumed the Heavy Support lance came with the PPC awesome) and was like "Aww, the lovely one!", and it ended up doing pretty well. I couldn't fire the Large Lasers most of the time because of heat, but I just popped it up on top a hill and let it rain death along with the two catapults and the baby commando which was mostly only useful for Sensor Lock, which apparently has no cooldown so I could use it every turn to make the LRM spam even more dumb. I feel like a couple LRM boats would benefit from having some kind of big hole puncher to cripple limbs and stuff, but they weren't terrible on their own. They just took awhile.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

PPCs likewise: they do 1/3rd less damage than the AC/10 but have a minimum range that makes them tricky to use.

What sort of balance is this game running where the PPC does 1/3 it's normal damage? Is this the MechCommander problem, where the fights are long enough that Ammo becomes a concern? And this game simply nerfed energy weapons in general?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

berryjon posted:

What sort of balance is this game running where the PPC does 1/3 it's normal damage? Is this the MechCommander problem, where the fights are long enough that Ammo becomes a concern? And this game simply nerfed energy weapons in general?

Most of my fights are lasting 10-15 rounds. I've never had any weapon run out of ammo, even if you had an ac-10 with 10 shots you won't be using it every round because ACs get progressively less accurate the more turns in a row you fire them and the heat system is much less forgiving of ballistics and missiles than in tabletop.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I nearly ran out of ammo for my LRMs, but thats because you can sustain fire your LRMs without overheating but not your lasers. :saddowns:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

berryjon posted:

PTN said 1/3 LESS than an AC10, so it's doing 2/3 the damage. So worse, especially considering the heat, but not total garbage tier.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I had some fun parking a Panther with the Precision Shot ability up in a sniping position, but yeah, in general LRMs are better at the long-distance game and Autocannons are better at holepunching.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

PTN said 1/3 LESS than an AC10, so it's doing 2/3 the damage. So worse, especially considering the heat, but not total garbage tier.

Also it's not really PPCs nerfed as much as the notoriously loving awful autocannon line buffed (except for the AC20).
I also don't think the PPC's better range really comes in to play on smaller skirmish maps, nor is ammo a worry (again, thanks to game mode). I don't really want running out of ammo mid-game in campaign missions to be a huge thing, but it might be enough of a factor that I should definitely want to take maybe an extra ton or half ton.

The thing I still don't really know about is how heat is scaling/working in this game, because I'm pretty sure you can't sustain the Awesome's typical 3- 3- 2 and never overhead PPC shooting pattern that makes it, so, well, awesome in TT play.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 2, 2017

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Is it worth it to buy into the beta? $60 for beta access vs $35 for the game eventually?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's good but I wouldn't buy just to play the beta. It's actually just a limited beta, not "early access but actually the game" beta. If you aren't inclined to experiment with the systems or modding or something you'd probably end up playing a couple days or so and then getting bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Is it worth it to buy into the beta? $60 for beta access vs $35 for the game eventually?

It's just skirmish play right now. It's solid and matches feel quick even when they take 40 minutes or more, but I'd never buy into something just for beta access. If you're going to drop $60+ it'd be more a statement of belief that the guys at HBS are going to make a good product that you'll get $60 of fun out of.

• Locked thread