Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i tried to play hey! pikmin but it really is dreadfully boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Looper posted:

pikmin 1 is the best numbered pikmin. begone troll
This was my tongue-in-cheek point :)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pikmin 4 is better than Pikmin 1

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
4 is comfortably second place but 1 is just so tightly put together in every regard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pikmin 4 would be better if the day timer was more strict and if creatures respawned eventually

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I think pikmin 1 was the first time a game made me feel sad. Both for the dying pikmin and for the little monsters. My buddy had a GameCube which I had written off originally but when I saw pikmin I was like whoa, this is impressive. Bought my own cube the next payday. I still have it. And like 9 other GameCubes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
that is many cubes

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I just got home and counted. it's 11.
I refurbish and sell them in SA Mart. I make basically no money doing it but it gets then to people who will love them instead of sitting in someone's basement.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
thats pretty awesome. thank you for your service 🫡

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Psycho Society posted:

thats pretty awesome. thank you for your service 🫡

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Japan gets that frog for whom the bell tolls game too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4czuDKwgc8

I know there are unofficial translations available, but it still hurts that we don't get it too :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Snackmar posted:

I know there are unofficial translations available, but it still hurts that we don't get it too :(

Still waiting on their English release of Mother 3...

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
are translations something a translator/programmer could independently work on during off hours? Sounds like a good way to brown nose at Nintendo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

are translations something a translator/programmer could independently work on during off hours? Sounds like a good way to brown nose at Nintendo

Most translators are external contractors these days and translations take a lot longer than most people think. Also you then need to plug it into the actual game which would require corporate approval and testing at a company like Nintendo. I’m reminded of Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy telling a story once about someone who basically made a patch for the Xbox Live Arcade version of Street Fighter 3 in their own time. He said that’s great that you fixed this issue, but if we release it we’re then on the hook for certification and testing costs because our contract with Capcom has expired so we don’t have their money to use any more.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Translation on early consoles is further complicated because English words require far more storage space than kanji

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

otter posted:

I just got home and counted. it's 11.
I refurbish and sell them in SA Mart. I make basically no money doing it but it gets then to people who will love them instead of sitting in someone's basement.

Can you link there thread? I gave away my og cube to my littlest brother like afool when we both went away to college and I got a Wii. before I knew the GameCube roof be the coolest system I owned.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah I’m curious as well, I have an old GameCube that I rediscovered in a recent move and wouldn’t mind getting rid of (I have a Wii for all my GC-related needs)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Here is his thread, you lazy goons :haw:

e: can we work something out being as I just gave you 2 new customers :v:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 18, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

that is many cubes

it isn't a cube

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

symbolic posted:

it isn't a cube

:goonsay:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWMiy4RysI

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Nintendo wouldn't have called it the Gamecube if it wasn't a cube. That's obviously just some wikipedia vandal, or AI written nonsense, or something.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That’s all well and fine, but if we’re going to be semantic dickwads here, I didn’t get a boy with my Game Boy, nor did I get you with my Wii U, where were you? :(

The Switch Lite isn’t all that light.

I didn’t get boobs with my D’s.

What are you harking in here Geometric Ph.D Symbolic?

(Which is ironic)

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 18, 2024

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Loved my Nintendo Gamebox

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

eightysixed posted:

That’s all well and fine, but if we’re going to be semantic dickwads here, I didn’t get a boy with my Game Boy, nor did I get you with my Wii U, where were you? :(

The Switch Lite isn’t all that light.

I didn’t get boobs with my D’s.

What are you harking in here Geometric Ph.D Symbolic?

(Which is ironic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97qLNXeAMQ

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I have a Switch, but there are only buttons, there is no switch.
Why Nintendo? WHHHYYY?

e: oh no he’s mad. Let’s just play games.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

eightysixed posted:

I have a Switch, but there are only buttons, there is no switch.
Why Nintendo? WHHHYYY?

e: oh no he’s mad. Let’s just play games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFfp_f8koo

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ugh, I posted a smilie with someone that has a Rap Sheet a mile long talking about dumb poo poo. Far enough.

Let’s move along. Jesus.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nintendo switch this thread off for a while until you dweebs cool down so I can play Balatro

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eightysixed posted:

Ugh, I posted a smilie with someone that has a Rap Sheet a mile long talking about dumb poo poo. Far enough.

Let’s move along. Jesus.

it's not a loving cube

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Augus posted:

it's not a loving cube

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Who fucks a cube? :catstare:

e: I’d hate to be one of your “clam” handhelds.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 18, 2024

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Depends on how otter mods 'em

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Depends on how otter mods 'em

Oh, I’m sure one of us are going to get probed, I just thought it was a pedantic thing to argue about and bring up. Good thing they didn’t come out with GameTriangle that came with a free Triforce emoji and we can all be mad that it’s an isosceles triangle as opposed to a right angled one.

(which sucks because I have purchases going on in SA-Mart and likely need to communicate :v: )

It'd probably be better to talk about the Switch and associated Switch games in the Switch thread and take the GameShape talk to whatever the nostalgia gaming systems thread is.

e: oh holy poo poo. I just got the joke. Yes, otter mods in a fleshcube or whatever. Well this took a turn :golfclap:

Can we just talk about games now, and the Nintendo Switch 3 that will come out before the Switch 2?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

nintendo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:worship: :pray:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Can we just talk about games now
Back to breakout games! My favorite is Gunbarich. It is available on Switch, even if it is a kinda funky emulated port looking thing.

Non breakout games, I hear Animal Well is swell.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ugh, I have the biggest backlog, so a 2 year old game is going to be a breakout game for me :negative:

I have noticed a lot of my friends have been playing Animal Well, but between Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley, I'm going to wait.

Plus I think I'm like 5% short of finishing Doom 3 - I don't understand what I'm missing. Oh well.
Also, I'm still on the TotK train and even though I could probably beat it right now, I still want to finish/find more quests :suicide:

e: I guess that smilie doesn't work anymore

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 18, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

japtor posted:

Back to breakout games! My favorite is Gunbarich. It is available on Switch, even if it is a kinda funky emulated port looking thing.

Non breakout games, I hear Animal Well is swell.

Breakout clones peaked at Arkanoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQmInWa_-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

:thumbsdown: