Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

It doesn't mention de-dup, but maybe that's implied in merging. I was actually hoping for an offline tool, with these being financial records, but thanks, maybe I'll roll the dice since they're pretty old.

And yeah, I only really know AutoIt, which isn't really up to that in 5 lines.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/find-and-remove-duplicates-00e35bea-b46a-4d5d-b28e-66a552dc138d

1-Select the range of cells that has duplicate values you want to remove.
2-Click Data > Remove Duplicates.

Does this not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Moo the cow posted:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/find-and-remove-duplicates-00e35bea-b46a-4d5d-b28e-66a552dc138d

1-Select the range of cells that has duplicate values you want to remove.
2-Click Data > Remove Duplicates.

Does this not work?
It's possible. I ruled out Excel because it handles opening non-standard csv files terribly and because I don't have it. And I would still have to open all the files and copy paste them together manually.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's possible. I ruled out Excel because it handles opening non-standard csv files terribly and because I don't have it. And I would still have to open all the files and copy paste them together manually.

1) Windows Start Button | Run
2) Type cmd and hit enter
3) Go to the folder with the CSV files
4) Type copy *.csv all.csv and hit enter to copy all data in the files into all.csv.
5) Type exit and hit enter to close the DOS window

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

If I use a scanner to scan an image from a book, could it be high enough quality to print on a shirt?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Depends on the artist really

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

me your dad posted:

If I use a scanner to scan an image from a book, could it be high enough quality to print on a shirt?

I'd say 'yes' - depending on the quality/size of the image you are scanning.

As long as you can get a flat scan.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Generally yes. You'll want to scan at 300 dpi minimum to get good detail in the scan. A higher scan resolution and larger output image will give you more freedom to scale the image as needed

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. It's a pretty crude (style) drawing so it won't require a super high quality print. I'll give it a shot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xenoborg posted:

How do absentee ballots work with moving? I am moving from OK to MO and start working in MO Oct 5th. Just today I got my absentee ballot for OK. Technically MO registration can be done up to Oct 7th, but I’m not confident it would get processed in time.

Legally, you’re supposed to vote in Missouri, but beyond the registration time crunch, some states straight‐up won’t let newcomers vote, ostensibly because they may not be familiar with the options on the ballot. I don’t know if that’s the case in Missouri.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

me your dad posted:

Thanks. It's a pretty crude (style) drawing so it won't require a super high quality print. I'll give it a shot.

There are lots of guides on cleaning up the scan: 'Cleaning up your line art scan in <photoshop/similar software>' would yield helpful results.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dog nougat posted:

Have a question involving nursing homes/elderly care in countries with single payer health care. So, my gf's mom has pretty severe dementia and she and her sister are paying a small fortune every month to keep her in an assisted living situation. I was wondering what the situation looks like in non-shithole developed countries. Are there state run assisted living institutions, or is it similar to the US where you're basically paying exorbitant sums out of pocket for the care of the old people.

Medically Assisted Suicide is a whole other thing that should exist with the US, but from what I understand dementia patients are oftentimes not eligible on account of them not being able to act "in sound mind". Sadly, while her mom was still verbal she wished for death and could've possibly been eligible if the US wasn't so awful in basically every regard.

You need to consult a medicare lawyer. My grandma had dementia before she was old enough to be eligible, and they were still able to get her in. Should not be difficult if she's already non-verbal.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
What is this weird antenna for? I suspect it might be for municipal/county radio systems, as it's on county property. Not as tall as a cell tower, no wires leading to it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
5g antenna broadcasting COVID into your brain

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't get phone chargers anymore. I have a Nokia 7.2, which helpfully included a charger. Now I want another one, but I want to make sure it uses the fast charge thing. The Samsung whatever charger for my work phone only charges the work phone fast, and not the Nokia. What am I supposed to look for? Preferably the cheapest option...

Also I'm in Denmark, so links to American shops are not helpful :(

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

5g antenna broadcasting COVID into your brain

Woo, safe then! I see it out my window at work, so pretty sure my brainmeats are as cooked as they will get.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BonHair posted:

I don't get phone chargers anymore. I have a Nokia 7.2, which helpfully included a charger. Now I want another one, but I want to make sure it uses the fast charge thing. The Samsung whatever charger for my work phone only charges the work phone fast, and not the Nokia. What am I supposed to look for? Preferably the cheapest option...

Fast charging is vendor-specific because it requires that the battery control circuit gives the charger permission to operate at voltages or currents outside USB spec. So you need another official Nokia charger.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have a Kindle Fire 8 and last night it updated itself and now my books look like this:

The books are there and the covers are visible if I choose the "Books" tab and choose "show all books". The unseen books are there and I can open them with no probelm. Also, when I start it up, it tells me the SD card is missing even though I've never removed it. After a few seconds, I can see all the contents of the card. I did remove and reinsert the card to no avail. Everything was fine before the update.

Any clues?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

BonHair posted:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Fast charging is vendor-specific because it requires that the battery control circuit gives the charger permission to operate at voltages or currents outside USB spec. So you need another official Nokia charger.

Hmmm.. wikipedia says it doesn't have fast charge (9V/2A = 18W) but does have rapid charge (5V/2A = 10W), but that might be a lie or it might have been added as a fw upgrade, but on the other hand the rest of the first 2 google pages are from people trying to sell chargers or phones so ??

I'd look for something with 18W and/or QuickCharge (usually abbreviated QC) 3.0 or at a pinch QC 2.0. Based on US experience, it'll be 1.5x to 2x the price of a non-quickcharge by the same brand.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

NotNut posted:

is it safe to take silk protein hydrolysate (cognium), ginkgo biloba, and lion's mane together?

which lion

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

BonHair posted:

Based on a little research and my experience with a Nokia 6.1 you're looking for chargers with either USB Power Delivery or Quick Charge(probably QC3).

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey so like if you're billionaire or something and wanted to own a vehicle that doesn't loving suck, obviously the first thing that comes to mind is the 1988 Toyota Hilux. The problem is of course that lots of them are right hand drive and they're all 32 years old. How much would it cost to have a new one made for you? Just the same as one of the old ones.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Hey so like if you're billionaire or something and wanted to own a vehicle that doesn't loving suck, obviously the first thing that comes to mind is the 1988 Toyota Hilux. The problem is of course that lots of them are right hand drive and they're all 32 years old. How much would it cost to have a new one made for you? Just the same as one of the old ones.

Does it have to be made from completely new parts, or are you allowed to refurbish stuff?

I.e. Would the billionaire let you buy a 32 year old body shell, strip it to the bare metal, respray that to new condition and build a car based on that?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
If I was a billionaire I'd say make it all new parts. You can do anything with enough money. Being a lot more work is someone else's problem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Your premise is incredibly intriguing.

Probably on the order of a couple of hundred thousands of dollars, but it depends on how far you want to go. Bespoke fabrication of the chassis and body, use of off-the-shelf running gear from more modern vehicles adapted to your specs, same with interior trim. If you wanted to make literally everything new to the exact specs of the original, you'd be looking at high six to low seven figures.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

My understanding is that it would be extremely expensive. Any attempt to recreate a mass produced item whose fabrication processes are now non existent will cost greatly more because every component will need to be custom built. The good news though is that to make a left hand drive version in the same fashion would probably not be appreciably more difficult assuming that such things ever existed in the first place and therefore the plans for them are available.

Edit: Also I’m not sure what legal status your new vehicle would have. A manufacturing process that produces tens of thousands or more iterations of a given automobile component has QC assurance to ensure that these items are safe enough to use in a vehicle, whereas it may well be that you cannot obtain such assurances for an entirely newly created replica. Obviously this is potentially very different in different jurisdictions and some places just wouldn’t give a poo poo.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 1, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ineptmule posted:

Edit: Also I’m not sure what legal status your new vehicle would have. A manufacturing process that produces tens of thousands or more iterations of a given automobile component has QC assurance to ensure that these items are safe enough to use in a vehicle, whereas it may well be that you cannot obtain such assurances for an entirely newly created replica. Obviously this is potentially very different in different jurisdictions and some places just wouldn’t give a poo poo.
There are a number of low-volume British manufacturers that only make a couple cars per year, such as Noble Automotive which only manufactures a few dozen sports cars every year. They're allowed to bypass some regulations by virtue of being so small.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just be a billionaire from a right hand drive country like the UK or Australia, and then you don't have to have it rebuilt at all, just restored.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For UK wall sockets like this, how dangerous is it if the earth isn't wired up? I'm spotting a few janky electrical connections that just have the earth wire chilling in the open not connected to anything and I don't know whether it needs to be addressed or if it's safe. It's not my house and so I don't wanna call it out unnecessarily. Appliances like the kettle / toaster oven / George foreman grill are connected to this particular socket.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Qubee posted:

For UK wall sockets like this, how dangerous is it if the earth isn't wired up? I'm spotting a few janky electrical connections that just have the earth wire chilling in the open not connected to anything and I don't know whether it needs to be addressed or if it's safe. It's not my house and so I don't wanna call it out unnecessarily. Appliances like the kettle / toaster oven / George foreman grill are connected to this particular socket.

Look for this:

quote:

A Class II or double insulated electrical appliance is one which has been designed in such a way that it does not require a safety connection to electrical earth (ground).

The basic requirement is that no single failure can result in dangerous voltage becoming exposed so that it might cause an electric shock and that this is achieved without relying on an earthed metal casing. This is usually achieved at least in part by having at least two layers of insulating material between live parts and the user, or by using reinforced insulation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^

That will tell you if the current situation is dangerous. However the danger still exists that in the future anyone could plug anything else into those outlets, so it's something that ought to be fixed in the long run.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

alnilam posted:

That will tell you if the current situation is dangerous. However the danger still exists that in the future anyone could plug anything else into those outlets, so it's something that ought to be fixed in the long run.

This.

Plus, the property will fail an electrical safety test that is legally required:

quote:

Electrical installations must be inspected and tested prior to the start of a new tenancy from 1st July 2020
Checks must be carried out on any existing tenancies by 1st April 2021
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...#the-inspection

I bet your smoke alarms are busted, too.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

alnilam posted:

^^^

heh, current situation

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

El_Elegante posted:

heh, current situation

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In the U.S. how does tax deduction through charitable contributions work? If you owe $10,000 in taxes and donate $3,000 to a charity/church, do you now owe $7,000 to the government?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In the U.S. how does tax deduction through charitable contributions work? If you owe $10,000 in taxes and donate $3,000 to a charity/church, do you now owe $7,000 to the government?

someone else prolly knows this better, but i *think* you can just say you made that much less

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's not nearly that good. That would be called a "credit." Charitable contributions are a "deduction." That means, like owlhawk said, you deduct it from how much you say you make, which is then used to calculate how much tax you owe. So if your marginal tax rate is 33%, then in your example you would owe $1k less to the government for making a $3k contribution.

Here is a very oversimplified example of what a credit is vs a deduction in the US:

Tax credit:
You make $50k. You would have owed 20% $10k to the government. You qualify for a $2k tax credit, so you only owe 10k - 2k = 8k.

Tax deduction:
You make $50k. You have $2k worth of stuff that is deductible. So for tax purposes you treat your income as 50k - 2k = $48k. So now you owe the government 20% of 48k, which is $9.6k.

The deduction is much less powerful. This example is way oversimplified because it ignores the standard deduction, and assumes a flat tax rate. But introducing those things would muddy the basic idea of what a credit vs a deduction is.

In reality it's even more complicated because a charitable contribution only matters if you use itemized deductions (rare), rather than the standard deduction (common).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How do they decide what congressional district gets what number? Is it different by state?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

How do they decide what congressional district gets what number? Is it different by state?

Obviously #1 goes to the best one, and so on

ty manifisto

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Moo the cow posted:

Look for this:

So that's a quick fix for the appliances, the wall socket itself however should definitely be earthed, right? And we're in the Middle-East, safety standards are hardly followed, and the house is owned not rented. For some reason, my extended family uses a back alley handyman for these things and all the jobs are super wonky but it's cheap so they stick with it instead of getting professionals. Just baffles me when I see wires exposed, and I've noticed some light switches are very warm to the touch which makes me wonder if a bunch of wires aren't fit for purpose and pose electrical fire hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the point of silicone wedding rings? I get that they're safer to wear in various situations where the ring might get damaged or be a danger to your finger. But why not just take your wedding ring off during those activities?