Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Why would you want to clean the spilled gas out of your gear? I love that smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I was reading MMM and they had this review. Seems a little steep for a cruise/lock, but it looks like it's well constructed, and if you get on the brake it stops.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/May/may2011-ultimate-trackday-bike-kalex-moto2-honda-cbr-for-sale/

Let's all go in on this bike. We can take turns riding it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nice try, Z3n. When your turn comes you'll part the drat thing. I know you will.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Nice try, Z3n. When your turn comes you'll part the drat thing. I know you will.

Yeah but with the money I made from parting it we could buy like 40-60 supermotos. It's a net gain.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Lately (due to 2 near misses caused by riding over my head, and locking up the front during hard braking once) haven't been feeling very confident on the bike.

Went to an empty carpark and practiced some tight low speed stuff and quick stops, and went for the ride again. It was like night and day and the past few days I've been feeling much better on the bike.

That stuff really helps.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I just took my touring-built WR250R for its first real shakedown ride and good god is it a beautiful bike to ride. The suspension is a dream, the power is electric and undemanding, with a nice high-RPM peak to keep things interesting. I miss the thump of the KLR or my old KLX300R but this bike is completely civilized and head and shoulders above every other Japanese dual sport on the market today.

Also, the sidewall flex on my dual sport/trials Pirelli MT43 rear tire is hilarious when really railing the bike through the turns.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I registered on this: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/olamarvin/gsx750es A 2.0 site where you input your fuelling and it does the stats.

It's fun to get some reliable stats on consumption, but I suddenly find myself very skeptical to all web 2.0 poo poo. Everything wants to sync with everything else and because our governments are too feeble to monitor us all they're making us do it ourselves like Folding@home for Big Brother.

Regardless of enabling the fascist hypercorporation takeover, it's fun to get some good fuel data and it's fun to browse other vehicles. It really makes you understand why "your mileage may vary", but if you apply some mental noise filtering and data smoothing it makes good sense.

The F800GS for instance seems quite frugal to me, while the Tiger 800 is getting a reputation as a slight guzzler on advrider although it does not have enough data on fuelly.

Anyway, if you're also part sperg, part willing victim of the Dark Revolution, we can be computer friends on there. :angel:

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 21, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I just do it manually in excel but I think im gonna get in on this fuelly thing

edit: ola i added you http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tengai

niethan fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 21, 2011

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ola posted:

I registered on this: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/olamarvin/gsx750es A 2.0 site where you input your fuelling and it does the stats.

Just imported all my excel data to that website. Yay!

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/suzunzl/vl250

I'll still be using my excel sheet though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Added both, boosted friend count!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
Browsing the SV650S page on fuelly.com makes me feel better about getting just over 40mpg on my last tank with spirited "It's finally not raining!" riding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Some time I regret not holding out for an XJ900 in these colours.

Lookit that lighthouse!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I just replaced all the oil. What a dirty, dirty job.

Ola posted:

Some time I regret not holding out for an XJ900 in these colours.

Needs more orange reflectors imho.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Been trying to get the gf interested in motorcycles the last few days while looking at MSF courses, and the best I can do is 'I'd ride a Vespa'. I've got a strange question thats come up while looking at different kinds of motorcycles and scooters. Why are different types of helmets cool/normal to wear for different 2 wheeled, motor powered vehicles? The cruiser/harley people wear the skullcaps, sport/dual sport people wear full helmets, and scooter people always seem to have those half helmet/visor deals on. Whats with that?

She thinks me wanting a motorcycle is some kind of early midlife crisis and that its dangerous, but doesn't seem to think doing 40mph on a city street in a vespa is risky at all.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
She's right it is dangerous.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Why is a black leather jacket cool and dangerous and corduroy pants frumpy and unappealing? A helmet is a hat, not safety equipment.

Things are dangerous because it feels like they should be, not because of cold hard facts.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Anyway, if you're also part sperg, part willing victim of the Dark Revolution, we can be computer friends on there. :angel:

Ugh ok, i'll join your gay hivemind gas thing. :rolleyes: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/olamarvin/gsx750es

I'm going to log oil consumption, because that's probably the prudent thing to do.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Signed up for Fuelly too. Now to put a few hundred miles on it to get a baseline. :)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gnaghi/zx6r

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hurray fuel friends!

cheese posted:

The cruiser/harley people wear the skullcaps, sport/dual sport people wear full helmets, and scooter people always seem to have those half helmet/visor deals on. Whats with that?

Each style of bike has its fashion accessories I suppose. Some of it is based on practical matters, but mostly it's the genres uniform. (Apart from my choices which are all rational and cold)

Riding is more dangerous than driving, but it's only fair as it is so much more fun. If you want to help her along the way, start reading ride reports. Nothing like the allure of a romantic adventure to unknown destinations to help bring a track prepped R6 into the family.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Looky what I found! http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/
No mpg conversion, but there's more, detailed, information. Also uglier. Also no friends.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been following this bike for a while. Glad the seller got someone to buy it as is instead of parting it out.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/sale/63924-2006-honda-cbr1000rr-naked.html

I can't think of a better way to spend $7,000. That bike must be nuts.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kylej posted:

Been following this bike for a while. Glad the seller got someone to buy it as is instead of parting it out.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/sale/63924-2006-honda-cbr1000rr-naked.html

I can't think of a better way to spend $7,000. That bike must be nuts.

loving.

Awesome.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Help. I can't stop speeding 20 miles over down empty back roads, down empty main roads, and habitually lead groups of speeding cars down the highway.

Am I destined for a motorcycle or can I save myself before it's too late?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Are you asking if you should get a motorcycle because you speed all the time? Yeah, no, that's a great idea. You should follow your heart on that one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Apple2o posted:

Help. I can't stop speeding 20 miles over down empty back roads, down empty main roads, and habitually lead groups of speeding cars down the highway.

If you don't learn when and where to speed, then you're destined for a lot of grief/tickets/accidents. It's about knowing when and where to speed.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Z3n posted:

If you don't learn when and where to speed, then you're destined for a lot of grief/tickets/accidents. It's about knowing when and where to speed.

Well I have been doing it frequently over the past few months, I only go crazy when it's a road I know think is empty or I am in a pack of speeding cars.

I figure I am pretty safe in a nice pile of 3-4 cars going 15-20 over, it's just when I am moving from car pack to car pack that I slow down. I got to thinking about motorcycles the nights where I am cruising at maybe 70 in the 45 and some crazy gently caress flies past me probably going 90 on a bike. That must be quite the rush.

I have a couple grand saved up and was trying to decide what to do with it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Apple2o posted:

Well I have been doing it frequently over the past few months, I only go crazy when it's a road I know think is empty or I am in a pack of speeding cars.

I figure I am pretty safe in a nice pile of 3-4 cars going 15-20 over, it's just when I am moving from car pack to car pack that I slow down. I got to thinking about motorcycles the nights where I am cruising at maybe 70 in the 45 and some crazy gently caress flies past me probably going 90 on a bike. That must be quite the rush.

step 1: buy a hayabusa

step 2: skip the msf, it's for chumps

step 3: buy the highest paying life insurance available and name me as the beneficiary

step 4: follow your dreams

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Apple2o posted:

The backroads part is normal among bike riders, the speeding on main roads will get you dead.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Apple2o posted:

Just get a Ninja 250 or a Can Am Spyder

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Gnaghi posted:

or a Can Am Spyder

Saw a dude on one of these today, had his kid sitting on the tank. Hate those bikes but it was totally :3:

ninja edit they are not bikes

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
added you guys :)
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/raven457/

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Apple2o posted:

You're talking about top speed, the one aspect of riding that's easiest to brag about and the dullest to experience (when it comes to riding on the street). The street's about corners, acceleration from a stop, sniffing the air around you, the feeling of 'freedom', the bike becoming an extension of yourself and being one with nature and all that crap. If you only drive a car around, you have no frame of reference to compare it to bikes.

You have no idea what it takes to ride fast on a bike. None. Nothing. Nada. It takes a long rear end time before you can honestly say you control the bike instead of the bike controlling you, but the bike will never seem unsafe until you are in way over your head. That's why so many people die on the things. A false sense of security. Everyone can hang off the gas and do a fast quarter mile, it's doing this in a series of corners where a bike's performance really shines. Also, incidentally, the hardest thing to do safely and comfortably.

If you are serious about exploring the performance potential of bikes, do so on a track. The difference between the street and track is unimaginable, two completely different worlds. That's after you learn how to ride, obviously.

The BEST thing you can do is buy a beater of a tiny bike after doing the MSF, and go wild on the thing. Wide open throttle, treat every stoplight as a dragstrip, etc. The small weight and displacement means that oops-moments are (easily?) recoverable, and the bike's weight and balance make it just so much fun. After a year of making grave mistakes and not dieing, you can honestly say you control a bike and not the other way around.

Ok, end rant.

Godspeed, my friend. :)

Also please don't do a backpanther. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That addresses it all pretty much perfectly. :) And small displacement bikes (or low HP sumos) are super fun to ride on the street. The fast bikes eventually just become a deathwish because to have fun you're doing 100+ everywhere, just to get the bike's suspension working right.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ola posted:

Hurray fuel friends!

Each style of bike has its fashion accessories I suppose. Some of it is based on practical matters, but mostly it's the genres uniform. (Apart from my choices which are all rational and cold)

Riding is more dangerous than driving, but it's only fair as it is so much more fun. If you want to help her along the way, start reading ride reports. Nothing like the allure of a romantic adventure to unknown destinations to help bring a track prepped R6 into the family.
Ya its just interesting. If I got a scooter, I would wear a full sport bike type helmet for safety and just look weird I guess heh.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cheese posted:

Been trying to get the gf interested in motorcycles the last few days while looking at MSF courses, and the best I can do is 'I'd ride a Vespa'. I've got a strange question thats come up while looking at different kinds of motorcycles and scooters. Why are different types of helmets cool/normal to wear for different 2 wheeled, motor powered vehicles? The cruiser/harley people wear the skullcaps, sport/dual sport people wear full helmets, and scooter people always seem to have those half helmet/visor deals on. Whats with that?

She thinks me wanting a motorcycle is some kind of early midlife crisis and that its dangerous, but doesn't seem to think doing 40mph on a city street in a vespa is risky at all.

generally, scooter riders are urban, commuter types. Short trips, lots of on sitting still at lights, low speeds, etc. For that environment half helmets and flip ups are a lot more comfortable and convenient. Full leathers aren't really necessary or practical compared to armor and weatherproofness. People who are on a scooter for convenience also might not be particularly educated to the risks of riding so aside from helmet laws, they might only wear what they're going to be wearing once they get off the bike, plus maybe a jacket if it goes with their shoes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Apple2o posted:

If you like driving cars I suggest not riding motorcycles. I got to ride around in my bosses G37, 300 and some odd horsepower. It felt like a I was in a RV.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I just went outside for a smoke... saw a guy on an R1 going down the street. He had a grocery bag hanging off his right arm, which was supporting a tray with 2 coffee's on the tank, with his left hand on the throttle.

That was mildly interesting to say the least. Too bad my phone was inside, or else I'd have a picture of it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

KARMA! posted:

Also please don't do a backpanther. :(

I'm curious. What does 'backpanther' refer to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Carbonate posted:

I just went outside for a smoke... saw a guy on an R1 going down the street. He had a grocery bag hanging off his right arm, which was supporting a tray with 2 coffee's on the tank, with his left hand on the throttle.

That was mildly interesting to say the least. Too bad my phone was inside, or else I'd have a picture of it.

That is pretty skillful. Wonder how he shifted? The closest thing I've ever seen like that was an out of focus pic a friend showed me of a guy leaving White Castle with a bag and drink. He followed him and told me was constantly shedding fries and dropped his soda when he went to make a turn.

I have yet to try my idea of wedging a burger in my helmet and holding it in place by closing the visor on it, though.