Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Like others have said, go watch ExistenZ right now.

ExistenZ also feels more like a sort of sequel to Videodrome than any of the other Cronenberg stuff I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone seen [REC] 3? How about this Philipino I think horror film The Road? Any anticipation of films coming up nothing I've seen recently has even remotely peaked my interest. There doesn't even seem to be many French Films that are coming out that may be interesting in their depravity.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I watched The Road pretty recently and didn't think it was all that. It wasn't bad as such, I just found it kinda boring. Plus the framing device wasn't really interesting beyond a couple of cool visuals. Its on VOD I think (?) so I'd say give it a watch anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zwabu posted:

ExistenZ also feels more like a sort of sequel to Videodrome than any of the other Cronenberg stuff I've seen.

drat, now I really want to watch it. Netflix has it as DVD only right now so that's out. I'll have to see if its on a demand service or something.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So if you're planning on watching Megan is Missing, be ready to take in a pretty blatant display of a writer/director putting together something he can masturbate to later.

It was effective, I guess, in that it managed to be disturbing toward the end (more so than the Poughkeepsie Tapes, anyway, and that seems to be the nearest comparison) ... but other than that and thirty seconds or so toward the middle (literally, thirty seconds — there's one shot in particular that struck me as creepy) it really serves no purpose other than being something the writer/director very, very obviously put together as a monument to his own sexual itch.

That's the part that disturbs me more than anything else, actually. Alarm bells started going off when one of the main characters — a 14-year-old girl — spends about three minutes of screen time (it feels like it drags far longer) discussing, in vivid detail and directly to the camera, how when she was 10 she was essentially forced into giving a 17-year-old camp counselor a blowjob. I don't really care about the idea of young teens talking frankly about sex, but I also don't see why it was important to dedicate a significant chunk of time to it in the middle of the movie's opening act. It wasn't expository dialogue, it didn't serve a purpose in the overall narrative. It didn't do anything.

It only goes downhill from there, and while I guess it's fair to call it a case study in why you don't let your kids gently caress around on the Internet unsupervised, it's also far, far too hosed to actually show any of the children who could use the message the most, so again - the hell was the point?

Gah.

And I mean, here I am talking about it, so I guess he wins. Fucker.

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
Speaking of Cronenberg, I just watched Nightbreed and can't believe somebody thought it would be a good idea to give him a starring role in a movie. Not that I should expect anything great from that movie but good lord that was the flattest performance I've ever seen.

Has anybody here watched The Pact? I thought it was pretty good for a low budget ghost story.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

faustcf posted:

Has anybody here watched The Pact? I thought it was pretty good for a low budget ghost story.

I thought it was OK, the first hour was a little dull but it picked up towards the end. I thought the ghost was a bit of an rear end in a top hat though why didn't it help anyone else? It seemed to be able to pick people up and throw them around so why didn't it help the first two victims? Why didn't it just kill the killer itself?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Reading about the Naked Lunch in this thread is really weird for me, because I was convinced I hadn't seen it, but now I'm sort of half-remembering a couple of things about it. So maybe I have seen it? Like a couple of scenes are sticking with me in a sort of nightmarish way, but I have no memory of ever actually watching it. Can someone confirm or deny for me whether the insecticide is sort of a powder and whether at one point a large beetle is squished somehow and gushes some yellow goop?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Shanty posted:

Reading about the Naked Lunch in this thread is really weird for me, because I was convinced I hadn't seen it, but now I'm sort of half-remembering a couple of things about it. So maybe I have seen it? Like a couple of scenes are sticking with me in a sort of nightmarish way, but I have no memory of ever actually watching it. Can someone confirm or deny for me whether the insecticide is sort of a powder and whether at one point a large beetle is squished somehow and gushes some yellow goop?

I don't remember the goop, but I'm pretty sure that the insecticide was powder. Do you remember talking typewriters?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I don't remember the goop, but I'm pretty sure that the insecticide was powder. Do you remember talking typewriters?

Nope. I've been looking a few things up on youtube and some of it really rings a bell, but most of it I swear I've never seen before. I'm starting to think maybe I caught a couple of scenes in a review on TV or something.
I guess I should just watch it, I usually dig Cronenberg anyway :shobon:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
All of this Naked Lunch talk reminds me of how much I love hearing Peter Weller talk about films. Well, I guess it really applies to this and Robocop, mainly. The clip below is short, and doesn't give away any plot details, but really makes me want to revisit the film for the first time in at least 8 or 9 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBz7erIrwyA

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Shanty posted:

Nope. I've been looking a few things up on youtube and some of it really rings a bell, but most of it I swear I've never seen before. I'm starting to think maybe I caught a couple of scenes in a review on TV or something.
I guess I should just watch it, I usually dig Cronenberg anyway :shobon:

There is insecticide powder that Weller's wife uses like a drug and she gets him hooked on it too. And there is a scene early in the film where he kills a giant talking beetle with his shoe, reducing it to pieces and yellow goo before he escapes the police station.

I loving love Naked Lunch. Everyone in it is great, especially Roy Scheider.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Aww Piranha 3DD sucks even more than Piranha 3D did :(

But the review I read reminded me that the guy who did it also directed the Feast movies which I seem to remember being not totally irredeemably bad. I was going to see if any of them were on netflix and of course they aren't so it'll probably just be a mystery forever.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

But the review I read reminded me that the guy who did it also directed the Feast movies which I seem to remember being not totally irredeemably bad. I was going to see if any of them were on netflix and of course they aren't so it'll probably just be a mystery forever.
A lot of people like Feast; I can't stand it. This does not bode well for my appreciation of Piranha 3DD, which is sad considering how much I loved Aja's take on it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

So if you're planning on watching Megan is Missing, be ready to take in a pretty blatant display of a writer/director putting together something he can masturbate to later.

It was effective, I guess, in that it managed to be disturbing toward the end (more so than the Poughkeepsie Tapes, anyway, and that seems to be the nearest comparison) ... but other than that and thirty seconds or so toward the middle (literally, thirty seconds — there's one shot in particular that struck me as creepy) it really serves no purpose other than being something the writer/director very, very obviously put together as a monument to his own sexual itch.

That's the part that disturbs me more than anything else, actually. Alarm bells started going off when one of the main characters — a 14-year-old girl — spends about three minutes of screen time (it feels like it drags far longer) discussing, in vivid detail and directly to the camera, how when she was 10 she was essentially forced into giving a 17-year-old camp counselor a blowjob. I don't really care about the idea of young teens talking frankly about sex, but I also don't see why it was important to dedicate a significant chunk of time to it in the middle of the movie's opening act. It wasn't expository dialogue, it didn't serve a purpose in the overall narrative. It didn't do anything.

It only goes downhill from there, and while I guess it's fair to call it a case study in why you don't let your kids gently caress around on the Internet unsupervised, it's also far, far too hosed to actually show any of the children who could use the message the most, so again - the hell was the point?

Gah.

And I mean, here I am talking about it, so I guess he wins. Fucker.

I associate Megan is Missing and the Poughkeepsie Tapes in my mind. Neither was a very good movie, neither was fun to watch, but both kind of stick with you, probably because you know people like that are actually out there. I guess that makes it successful? I dunno, still wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The first Feast was fun and something different from the norm. Unfortunately like Tremors, they made some terrible sequels to it that sullied the franchise.

EDIT: It makes me happy that there was never a sequel to Splinter and I hope there never will be.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 3, 2012

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Parachute posted:

All of this Naked Lunch talk reminds me of how much I love hearing Peter Weller talk about films. Well, I guess it really applies to this and Robocop, mainly. The clip below is short, and doesn't give away any plot details, but really makes me want to revisit the film for the first time in at least 8 or 9 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBz7erIrwyA
If you have Netflix disc rentals it's worth getting the DVD of Naked Lunch, particularly if you find the movie confusing. Weller and Cronenberg explain a lot of the references and the idea behind the film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

jeremy oval office posted:

A lot of people like Feast; I can't stand it. This does not bode well for my appreciation of Piranha 3DD, which is sad considering how much I loved Aja's take on it.

I love Feast, but I'd be interested in hearing why you dislike it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd be interested on hearing why he loved Aja's take on Piranha. For me it suffers from 'Snakes on a Plane' syndrome, in which at some point during filming they decided the film would be a different thing from what it started out as. So while you have Adam Scott - action man, or Christopher Lloyd hamming it up, you get the all too serious attack. It strikes me as a film made by someone who doesn't quite know how to strike the right tone. It's either goofy or serious, which usually wouldn't be a problem. But so much of that attack is handled with such a straight face (And looks almost TOO good) that it creates this strange disconnect.

That doesn't make the sequel better of course. That just goes too far off into the goofy direction and still can't make it work. Joe Dante had the right tone, as he always does.

As for 'Megan is missing' I don't think that it's anyone's masturbatory fantasy, but it does suffer from someone trying to make a serious film about a serious subject by injecting shock value into it.

For a much much better take on the dangers of meeting people from the Internet see David Schwimmer's (Yes Ross from Friends) 'Trust'.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Megan is Missing is pretty disturbing. Ugh just the type of thing that is bothersome because it's feasible.

I'm watching this movie called Darkness it's Czech I think and weird as hell. About an artist who goes back to stay in his childhood home.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
the Thing, the musical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

It is an amazing thing!

eckoelab fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 4, 2012

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It was retarded?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

trip9 posted:

I associate Megan is Missing and the Poughkeepsie Tapes in my mind. Neither was a very good movie, neither was fun to watch, but both kind of stick with you, probably because you know people like that are actually out there. I guess that makes it successful? I dunno, still wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I associate them too, because both have equal parts good and bad (though more bad than good), are pretty amateurishly filmed, and feature some atrocious acting. I watched both on a found footage binge, and I feel pretty much the exact same way about both, because they suffered from the same issues: The media-related stuff comes off as too cheesy to be taken seriously, and the disturbing stuff comes off as too exploitative to be cautionary, but there are one or two genuinely creepy moments in each (the interview with the slave victim in TPT, and the rape/barrel sequence in MIM. The latter mainly because the idea of being enclosed in a tiny confined space with a corpse has always been a creep-out concept for me, let alone how long it would take until you also die. But neither is a particularly good film.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because it tries so hard to be From Dusk Till Dawn on speed, and it's not even in the same league. I'll tell you this much though: I watched it three or four years ago and I don't remember a single thing about it except for vague recollections of irritating characters, a bar and violence. On the other hand, I love Piranha for so many reasons: Jerry O'Connell's manic, hypersexual performance is inspired; the sheer scale of mayhem is admirable for a non-zombie flick; I like the leads and want to see them succeed; and they brought back Richard Dreyfuss and Christopher Lloyd, to whom Gary Busey and David Hasselhoff can't possibly compare.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Because it tries so hard to be From Dusk Till Dawn on speed, and it's not even in the same league. I'll tell you this much though: I watched it three or four years ago and I don't remember a single thing about it except for vague recollections of irritating characters, a bar and violence.

I don't really think this comparison fits, though. From Dusk Till Dawn's takes a bunch of screwed up people who thrive on violence and puts them in a stereotypical horror scenario, and the joke is they're perfectly at home in it even while they're dropping like flies.

Then at the end it has a moment of sort of Pulp Fiction-esque redemption where the lead realizes what a terrible person he is and tries to stop Kate from ending up like him. He survived because he's the toughest criminal (and the biggest star -- it's not a coincidence he's played by George Clooney) but being a criminal is what put him in the horror scenario in the first place.

Feast rejects the idea of using a horror story as a morality tale; almost every kill in the movie is a referential gag designed to support this. Feast says "you're not safe if you're a hunk, you're not safe if you're a kid, you're not doomed if you're a slut, you're not doomed if you're a jerk."

EDIT: And the characters that don't instantly die outgrow their labels, though maybe not as completely as they should.

It even avoids a nihilistic moral by having two groups of survivors, the blond woman who uses everyone else as bait, and the group that bands together around the handicapped little brother. Feast says that bad things happen for no particular reason, and that while how you act under pressure can make you a good or a bad person, it doesn't really change what happens to you.

My only problem with Feast is that it's not subtle, to the point where it's almost didactic about everything I've said. But then again FDTD has George Clooney walk into the bar where everyone he knows is about to die and exclaim "Now THIS is my kind of place!" so it's in good company.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 4, 2012

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really think this comparison fits, though. From Dusk Till Dawn's takes a bunch of screwed up people who thrive on violence and puts them in a stereotypical horror scenario, and the joke is they're perfectly at home in it even while they're dropping like flies.

Then at the end it has a moment of sort of Pulp Fiction-esque redemption where the lead realizes what a terrible person he is and tries to stop Kate from ending up like him. He survived because he's the toughest criminal (and the biggest star -- it's not a coincidence he's played by George Clooney) but being a criminal is what put him in the horror scenario in the first place.

Feast rejects the idea of using a horror story as a morality tale; almost every kill in the movie is a referential gag designed to support this. Feast says "you're not safe if you're a hunk, you're not safe if you're a kid, you're not doomed if you're a slut, you're not doomed if you're a jerk."

EDIT: And the characters that don't instantly die outgrow their labels, though maybe not as completely as they should.

It even avoids a nihilistic moral by having two groups of survivors, the blond woman who uses everyone else as bait, and the group that bands together around the handicapped little brother. Feast says that bad things happen for no particular reason, and that while how you act under pressure can make you a good or a bad person, it doesn't really change what happens to you.

My only problem with Feast is that it's not subtle, to the point where it's almost didactic about everything I've said. But then again FDTD has George Clooney walk into the bar where everyone he knows is about to die and exclaim "Now THIS is my kind of place!" so it's in good company.
I think you're applying a lot more reverence to From Dusk Till Dawn than what's actually there. FDTD features a sympathetic sex offender, an amoral retelling of Vietnam apocrypha and a guy who takes gun-as-phallus to The Next Level. Oh, and it has the all-time greatest Dangerfield-esque marriage joke.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, Feast just repulsed me. It seemed like a very weak excuse to gross out the audience at every turn.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best gross out B movie in the last couple of years is probably Cabin Fever 2.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The best gross out B movie in the last couple of years is probably Cabin Fever 2.

Slither would totally like a word with you. I laughed so hard I cried watching Slither.

That bitch is hard core!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah there's plenty of stuff, Pirahna 3D, Slither, Human Centipede 2. But nobody ever mentions Cabin Fever 2!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slither was a great movie. I could watch that every day. It's gross out but it's done in such a slapstick way. If you haven't seen it go check it out.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Volume posted:

Slither was a great movie. I could watch that every day. It's gross out but it's done in such a slapstick way. If you haven't seen it go check it out.

I know the internet hates Firefly now, but Nathan Fillion was the main reason that movie was so great. He's got really good timing and a strong everyman appeal. I know he moved on to some crime TV show that's probably dumb, but I really wish he'd stick with horror comedies. Maybe a team up with other Firefly guy and fat Reaper guy in Tucker and Dale and Randy vs Evil.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The internet hated Firefly then, too. It's always had a very specific following.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The internet hated Firefly then, too. It's always had a very specific following.

Browncoats ruined Firefly for the rest of us.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Oh. I've never been into Sci-Fi, so maybe that's why I liked it so much. I must be one of those.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is a unusual request, but does anyone have some recommendations for Russian horror films? I just realized I've never seen one and I've seen horror films from most countries.

I did some searching on Russian Horror but there really doesn't seem to be much out there. Was just wondering if people had any they could recommend. No, do not recommend Serbian film seriously, it's not even russian.

I've seen this show up on a couple of lists

Viy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_%28film%29

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 5, 2012

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Hollis posted:

This is a unusual request, but does anyone have some recommendations for Russian horror films? I just realized I've never seen one and I've seen horror films from most countries.

I did some searching on Russian Horror but there really doesn't seem to be much out there. Was just wondering if people had any they could recommend. No, do not recommend Serbian film seriously, it's not even russian.

I've seen this show up on a couple of lists

Viy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_%28film%29

I'd be interested in this, too. My knowledge of Russian cinema begins and ends with Daywatch/Nightwatch, a flying car movie, and some lesbian vampire movie.:blush:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think you're applying a lot more reverence to From Dusk Till Dawn than what's actually there. FDTD features a sympathetic sex offender, an amoral retelling of Vietnam apocrypha and a guy who takes gun-as-phallus to The Next Level. Oh, and it has the all-time greatest Dangerfield-esque marriage joke.

And Tom Savini's character dying in another film.

But it's another film that has a really bizarre change in tone going from a thriller type film to crazy horror film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we talk about horror tv series in this thread? I've been trying to track down any episodes of Monsters and Tales from the Dark Side but I've totally struck out. I have some really fond memories of watching those shows and I'd love to revisit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah there's plenty of stuff, Pirahna 3D, Slither, Human Centipede 2. But nobody ever mentions Cabin Fever 2!
Cabin Fever 2 is so terrible, it's not even fun to watch. Human Centipede 2 is just irredeemable trash, and this is coming from a fan of the original.