Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What silly procedures? KMS works with DNS SRV records, it should all just happen seamlessly unless someone's manually set KMS information on the machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is anybody in the MS Teams Direct Routing preview?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Direct-Routing-enables-new-enterprise-voice-options-in-Microsoft/ba-p/170450

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

KMS is super-fun when your Helpdesk lead has DA permissions and loads the KMS server key in to the workstation image so every time he images a new system it hijacks the DNS SRV records

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, but if it’s as cool as it sounds I am seriously pushing for this when it hits GA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I have a compatible SBC and a group of people who know how to use it ready to fulfil my requests to have Teams deployed using our existing trunks and in a way that keeps extension dialling working.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like we've been over this.

They already have 2FA, but they want to make sure the person is actually in the building (really that the person actually is the person who is logging in). This is what biometrics is for. They already have biometrics to get into the building, but integrating that is a clustrerfuck and putting biometric locks on the workstations themselves is the proper solution. But that won't make you money, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The customer explicitly told us they don't want biometrics on the workstations because they don't want to manage additional hardware. They already have our software and want to leverage that. This is being driven by their security guys and that's the solution they want.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

The customer explicitly told us they don't want biometrics on the workstations because they don't want to manage additional hardware. They already have our software and want to leverage that. This is being driven by their security guys and that's the solution they want.

anthonypants posted:

Better change your name to BillHour because you're gonna be busy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

skipdogg posted:

What silly procedures? KMS works with DNS SRV records, it should all just happen seamlessly unless someone's manually set KMS information on the machines.

The silly procedures are the things I have to write to show the exact sequence of steps I am taking in setting up and testing the KMS service itself. Paperwork for the clients to show "yes we did things the right way", basically. Checking the status of activation before and after by using slmgr/ospp, etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh hell yes, the result of project Honolulu is out. Playing with this thing 5 minutes in and I already love it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/understand/windows-admin-center

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

devmd01 posted:

Oh hell yes, the result of project Honolulu is out. Playing with this thing 5 minutes in and I already love it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/understand/windows-admin-center

Unsupported Server Version
Server connections are only supported for Windows Server 2012 and above

Boo!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Also WMF 5.1, ugh. Time to get that deployed to all the 2012R2 servers!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Also WMF 5.1, ugh. Time to get that deployed to all the 2012R2 servers!

I like how the error message is that the OS is unsupported and not that WMF 5.1 needs to be installed. By all means don't give me an accurate error message and god forbid direct me to the download or *gasp* download and install it for me. That's Microsoft!

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

I like how the error message is that the OS is unsupported and not that WMF 5.1 needs to be installed. By all means don't give me an accurate error message and god forbid direct me to the download or *gasp* download and install it for me. That's Microsoft!

The Honolulu Team probably couldn't get a license from the WMF team to redistribute or auto-install the dependency.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Good thing they all now have Microsoft TEAMS to COLLABORATE!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Unsupported Server Version
Server connections are only supported for Windows Server 2012 and above

Boo!
Could be worse, you could be this guy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It doesn't work with my Netware servers?!?!?!?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The display connected to my 2010 Mac mini is broken, will this let me manage my Open Directory?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm trying to set up PXE booting for both UEFI and legacy clients. I have WDS running on one server, and DHCP running on a separate server. Both servers are running Windows 2008r2, are on the same subnet and VLAN, and are even connected to the same switch.
Through researching, I know that this is possible when using server 2012 DHCP server and policies, but DHCP policies don't seem to be available with 2008r2. I know that I could switch option 67 on my DHCP server to point to the appropriate bootfile, but since I regularly image both UEFI and legacy clients, that sounds like it's going to be a pain in the rear end switching back and forth all the time.
So, is it possible to do this using server 2008r2? If yes, how? Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you need to do it with IP helpers rather than DHCP options

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can do it with DHCP options. We have a DHCP server based on ISC DHCP so I don't know exactly how to do it in Windows, but this should get you going: https://2pintsoftware.com/whitepaper-using-dhcp-uefi-bios-pxe-booting/

Basically you scope the different boot files to different architectures so that the DHCP server only offers the UEFI boot info to UEFI clients and vice versa.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

You can do it with DHCP options. We have a DHCP server based on ISC DHCP so I don't know exactly how to do it in Windows, but this should get you going: https://2pintsoftware.com/whitepaper-using-dhcp-uefi-bios-pxe-booting/

Basically you scope the different boot files to different architectures so that the DHCP server only offers the UEFI boot info to UEFI clients and vice versa.

That's what DHCP policies do in Server 2012+, which is not available in server 2008R2

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh see there you go, works fine in Linux!

Also 2008 is EOL in less than 2 years, time to migrate!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Thanks, I saw that link a couple days ago and was all hyped to try it and then found out that it's not possible with server 2008.
Set up IP helpers pointing to my WDS server and gave it another shot. Legacy clients will PXE boot without any problems. UEFI clients contact the server and look like they start to boot up, but then they just hang at a light blue screen. It's not a BSOD blue screen, it's just colored light blue, no text. Client sits there for about a minute then shuts down. This happens with 3 different models of Dell laptops.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm trying to set up PXE booting for both UEFI and legacy clients. I have WDS running on one server, and DHCP running on a separate server. Both servers are running Windows 2008r2, are on the same subnet and VLAN, and are even connected to the same switch.
Through researching, I know that this is possible when using server 2012 DHCP server and policies, but DHCP policies don't seem to be available with 2008r2. I know that I could switch option 67 on my DHCP server to point to the appropriate bootfile, but since I regularly image both UEFI and legacy clients, that sounds like it's going to be a pain in the rear end switching back and forth all the time.
So, is it possible to do this using server 2008r2? If yes, how? Thanks.

Serious answer, use dhcpd. It's way better than the MS provided dhcp implementation.

You can serve different responses based on the vendor-class-identifier that is passed. Or chainload iPXE and do more intelligent decision making off of what iPXE finds. I do this for flashing the firmware of some specialty hardware. Obviously I don't want to even try to flash the bios of something that isn't this speciality hardware, so it gets flagged off with a class match first.

#class "bios-intel-thing" {
# match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" and option arch = 00:00 and not known;
# filename "/pxelinux.0";

# vendor-option-space pxelinux;
# option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
# option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/bios-intel-thing";
# option pxelinux.reboottime 5;
#}

https://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PXELINUX

This has basically all information you need to learn how to pxe boot things with Linux

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My guess is UEFI booting isn't working properly on your WDS server. Try to PXE boot a UEFI client connected to the same network as the WDS server, that way you can know for sure it's receiving the broadcasts properly and responses are making it through. If that doesn't work then you've got a WDS problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Serious answer, use dhcpd. It's way better than the MS provided dhcp implementation.

You can serve different responses based on the vendor-class-identifier that is passed. Or chainload iPXE and do more intelligent decision making off of what iPXE finds. I do this for flashing the firmware of some specialty hardware. Obviously I don't want to even try to flash the bios of something that isn't this speciality hardware, so it gets flagged off with a class match first.

#class "bios-intel-thing" {
# match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" and option arch = 00:00 and not known;
# filename "/pxelinux.0";

# vendor-option-space pxelinux;
# option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
# option pxelinux.configfile "pxelinux.cfg/bios-intel-thing";
# option pxelinux.reboottime 5;
#}

https://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PXELINUX

This has basically all information you need to learn how to pxe boot things with Linux

You can do vendor-class-identifier stuff with Windows DHCP and I'm pretty sure (I mostly deal with VDIs, been a while) you can use WDS/MDT to get more granular, similar to how you described iPXE.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wireshark it as well to see where it's breaking

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Wireshark it as well to see where it's breaking

Get your loving voodoo out of here!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

You can do vendor-class-identifier stuff with Windows DHCP and I'm pretty sure (I mostly deal with VDIs, been a while) you can use WDS/MDT to get more granular, similar to how you described iPXE.

This is correct. The only rub with Windows DHCP is that PXE still isn't supported by MS for whatever reason even though they provide information on how to do it. They still try to steer you towards using IP helpers.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I've got 10 new machines that I need to get imaged ASAP so I set option 66 on the DHCP server to point to the WDS server and set option 67 to point to Boot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi thinking that this would force the machines to load the UEFI NBP. Tested and...same light blue screen, then nothing. Booted up an older BIOS machine and figured that it would fail since it would be getting the wrong NBP...and it PXE booted without problem.
So, I've got something misconfigured somewhere but I'm not really sure where to look at this point. WDS, DHCP and clients are all on the same subnet/VLAN. Legacy clients will PXE boot all day, the problem is only with UEFI clients.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I've got 10 new machines that I need to get imaged ASAP so I set option 66 on the DHCP server to point to the WDS server and set option 67 to point to Boot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi thinking that this would force the machines to load the UEFI NBP. Tested and...same light blue screen, then nothing. Booted up an older BIOS machine and figured that it would fail since it would be getting the wrong NBP...and it PXE booted without problem.
So, I've got something misconfigured somewhere but I'm not really sure where to look at this point. WDS, DHCP and clients are all on the same subnet/VLAN. Legacy clients will PXE boot all day, the problem is only with UEFI clients.

UEFI is poo poo is the problem.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Methanar posted:

UEFI is poo poo is the problem.

It's really not; making DHCP do the dirty work of forwarding PXE broadcast traffic (poorly) is.

IP helpers are the way to do this. DHCP options can and are made to work, but it will never work as well, or as hands off, as a simple helper pointing towards the WDS box. It's literally a single line in a config.

If you can get that setup your problem will vanish instantly.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's really not; making DHCP do the dirty work of forwarding PXE broadcast traffic (poorly) is.

IP helpers are the way to do this. DHCP options can and are made to work, but it will never work as well, or as hands off, as a simple helper pointing towards the WDS box. It's literally a single line in a config.

If you can get that setup your problem will vanish instantly.

My understanding-and I could be completely wrong here-is that IP helpers are only necessary if the client is on a different subnet or VLAN than the WDS server. In my environment, WDS, DHCP and the client are all on the same subnet and VLAN.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Mr. Clark2 posted:

My understanding-and I could be completely wrong here-is that IP helpers are only necessary if the client is on a different subnet or VLAN than the WDS server. In my environment, WDS, DHCP and the client are all on the same subnet and VLAN.

If that's the case you don't need options at all; having them enabled is likely what is loving your setup up.

If client, DHCP, and WDS are all on the subnet then broadcast traffic (PXE/DHCP) will reach those servers without additional configuration. If that isn't working and you don't have some wacky WDS setup I'd uninstall and reinstall the role. I know for a fact you can setup a 2012 R2 server with the WDS role at default settings and as long as you have both an x64 and x86 boot image associated with it it will boot UEFI and BIOS without a hitch.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MS are really upping their documentation game (I guess until they decide to move things around again). I like the project management oriented stuff they have now for deploying their stuff, like https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/1-envision-define-my-success-phone-system

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If that's the case you don't need options at all; having them enabled is likely what is loving your setup up.

If client, DHCP, and WDS are all on the subnet then broadcast traffic (PXE/DHCP) will reach those servers without additional configuration.

It wasn't working even before I enabled the options. I only enabled the 66 and 67 options today, I'm going to disable them again. WDS and MDT are up to date and I installed the 1709 ADK and updated my deployment share and generated new boot images before embarking on this project.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It's been a while since I've messed with WDS. Do you have bootfiles defined for the various architectures in WDS itself? From memory, there are a bunch of fields where you define what bootfile to use for x86, x64, x86_x64, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have one I can look at right now to be more clear.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

MS are really upping their documentation game (I guess until they decide to move things around again). I like the project management oriented stuff they have now for deploying their stuff, like https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/1-envision-define-my-success-phone-system
docs.microsoft.com is really good, and if you have problems or see errors you can address them on GitHub.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't checked their Server 2016 documentation in a while, how's that now? Last time I looked, they had plenty of documentation on Storage Spaces for Server 2012 R2 but zero for 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ok a few notes in no particular order

1) As others have said, don't mix DHCP options and IP Helpers. Either use one or the other, you can't mix them
2) Are you doing pure WDS or trying to boot SCCM boot images?
3) You say you're using the x86 filename, are you booting 32 bit UEFI devices? (you're probably not).