Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khorne posted:

I know the GPU could be upgraded and GPUs keep advancing. The truth is the 670 still performs great because I am on 1920x1080 and don't use particularly high settings ever. I prefer a steady 100-140 fps with no dips which means even on a 970 I'd be turning things down a bit. The 670 actually runs most modern games on medium-high settings at those frame rates. And for single player stuff you can turn things up a bit more and get 60+ fps still.

But GPU and my Samsung 830 256gb from the original build are the two things that might get upgraded before I actually build a new pc. Mostly because 256gb isn't enough for a primary hard drive and juggling applications onto other hard drives is obnoxious. If I hadn't installed an aftermarket cooler on the 670 I'd want to get rid of it just because of how obscenely loud it was.
Some of the reasoning for upgrading from sandy/ivy bridge is "those motherboards only have 2 SATA 3 ports the rest are SATA 2" and "USB 3 ports aren't native/are generally a bit more scarce" and "the PCI-E pipeline is poo poo so you can't run PCI-E ssds without cannibalizing GPU bandwidth!" Those were the three arguments I saw on a few review sites.

I don't know what other people are doing, but PCI-E ssds seem pointless at this moment. And I'm not going to have more than 2 ssds so why would I want more than 2 sata 3.0 ports. And USB 3 being native or not is irrelevant because it performs the same. On top of all that, if I actually needed any of these things I could build a current gen system when I need them instead of now when I don't need them. And let's not forget that even though modern ssds can saturate sata 3, the pci-e ssds perform pretty much identical for most real world applications.

I feel like a luddite making this post. If I were building a desktop today I'd go with Skylake, but because I have a decent ivy bridge system there's still no compelling reason to upgrade. Laptops have came a long way since 2012 at least.

You aren't a luddite. It's virtually assured that any I/O interface these days outside of bog standard SATA3/USB3 delivers next to no real-world gains other than a tiny niche of users. Ever-faster I/O interfaces are solving a problem that doesn't really exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
From the annandtech article

"Skylake could be a really nice overclocker. It also brings up the question of whether Intel is limiting the overclocking potential with sub-standard paste between the die and the heatspreader. We’ve been told (not by Intel) that removing the heatspreader is relatively easy, but from reports it seems that the heatspreader seems to be thinner than before and the paste is only slightly better than what Haswell came with."

Awesome let's go back to Haswell with paste instead of solder like devils canyon :jerkbag:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Michymech posted:

From the annandtech article

"Skylake could be a really nice overclocker. It also brings up the question of whether Intel is limiting the overclocking potential with sub-standard paste between the die and the heatspreader. We’ve been told (not by Intel) that removing the heatspreader is relatively easy, but from reports it seems that the heatspreader seems to be thinner than before and the paste is only slightly better than what Haswell came with."

Awesome let's go back to Haswell with paste instead of solder like devils canyon :jerkbag:

Wait, was Devil's Canyon soldered? I thought they hadn't soldered any mainstream CPUs since Sandy Bridge.

Edit: Plenty of videos out there of people delidding 4790Ks without tearing apart the die, so it's not soldered.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 6, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Wait, was Devil's Canyon soldered? I thought they hadn't soldered any mainstream CPUs since Sandy Bridge.

Edit: Plenty of videos out there of people delidding 4790Ks without tearing apart the die, so it's not soldered.

Huh well how about that, i thought they were soldered, I delided my 4770k and got good temp drops, maybe i should look at making it directly contact my waterblock

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Gwaihir posted:

"God damnit I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars every two years because my stuff lasts for 5 this loving sucks :saddowns:"

-Nerds everywhere.

its a weird feeling and i dont know how to deal with it ok

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Gwaihir posted:

"God damnit I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars every two years because my stuff lasts for 5 this loving sucks :saddowns:"

-Nerds everywhere.

OTOH I don't get 25% more CPU powers every two years either

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Soooo...how does one connect an NVMe SSD directly to a Haswell-E's PCIe lanes? (Without chipset acting as middleman)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Soooo...how does one connect an NVMe SSD directly to a Haswell-E's PCIe lanes? (Without chipset acting as middleman)

Isn't it just a matter of using whichever PCIe slot(s) are run to those lanes?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

What audio enhancements are you going to see with Skylake?

None explicitly, but OEM's didn't give a poo poo about onboard audio 4-5 years ago, so newer boards have better chipsets and design to minimize distortion. My ASUS P8Z68-V Gen3 has AWFUL onboard sound that gives me noise even through the SPDIF out. I had to buy an ASUS Xonar DG that works pretty well, but Windows 10 is having some challenges with it. It is also PCI and I would just like to have a newer board with better onboard audio and be done with it.

Also, onboard audio works better for Hackintoshes. Right now I have a TurtleBeach MICRO II USB DAC that I use for Mac OS X and that is kind of annoying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mayodreams posted:

None explicitly, but OEM's didn't give a poo poo about onboard audio 4-5 years ago, so newer boards have better chipsets and design to minimize distortion.

No, onboard audio's been a decent thing for longer than that. At least back in 2008 it was enough of a justification to not buy a dedicated sound card.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

computer parts posted:

No, onboard audio's been a decent thing for longer than that. At least back in 2008 it was enough of a justification to not buy a dedicated sound card.

Decent sure, but not good. My speakers are a pair of professional studio monitors that cost more than pretty much any consumer sound card. Since they are digital in, all I really need is a good isolated sound circuit which, in my experience, has only recently been a priority for motherboard manufacturers.

If you are connecting $15 computer speakers from Best Buy, sure you won't see the issue. I worked in pro audio/video for 6 years so unfortunately I know and can hear the difference.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

computer parts posted:

Depends what you're doing. I bought a cheapo Xonar sound card for my P67 motherboard because the onboard mic input was noisy as hell and I prefer small, simple 3.5mm jack mics for VOIP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Overall, I can't see reason to leave Sandy Bridge. Sure, there's a big IPC increase but it doesn't translate into substantial real-world results.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

computer parts posted:

The ALC892 on my P8P67PRO board was still quite bad compared to the Xonar DG card i bought for 30$. The newer ALC1150 that have EMI shielding on good boards are really good though, more than enough for most people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LooKMaN posted:

The ALC892 on my P8P67PRO board was still quite bad compared to the Xonar DG card i bought for 30$. The newer ALC1150 that have EMI shielding on good boards are really good though, more than enough for most people.

All I know is whole bunches of people were saying that it was great and they didn't need a $100 sound card anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

Really you wouldn't see much issues with onboard audio until you hooked up a good pair of headphones. Like with the cheapo ones I had before my onboard audio from this old rear end z68 sounded fine. Hooked up my AD 700s and they sounded like rear end. Very muted and a headphone known for low bass turned into almost non existent bass. Got a sound card and hooked up to it and they sounded great. Haven't even tried to hook my m50s to it because I know its going to sound like rear end anyways.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mayodreams posted:

None explicitly, but OEM's didn't give a poo poo about onboard audio 4-5 years ago, so newer boards have better chipsets and design to minimize distortion. My ASUS P8Z68-V Gen3 has AWFUL onboard sound that gives me noise even through the SPDIF out. I had to buy an ASUS Xonar DG that works pretty well, but Windows 10 is having some challenges with it. It is also PCI and I would just like to have a newer board with better onboard audio and be done with it.

Also, onboard audio works better for Hackintoshes. Right now I have a TurtleBeach MICRO II USB DAC that I use for Mac OS X and that is kind of annoying.

Wait, how are you getting noise from SPDIF? Shouldn't that be all digital until it hits your reciever?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BobHoward posted:

This is not true. Intel publishes tables that show maximum frequency versus active core count. None of them can hit max boost with all cores active. One interesting thing from that table: with more than 1 core active the i7-6700K cannot turbo at all.

As Krailor said, a lot of motherboards provide an option to override this behavior and force the cpu to run at max turbo frequency at all times no matter how many cores are active, but it's a form of overclocking.

Boy I feel dumb. I guess I've had this option enabled since day 1 on my 2500K and didn't notice. If all that I wanted was to run all 4 cores at turbo speeds when conditions allow, would I need to buy a 6600K / Z170? Or could I get away waiting for 6600 non-K and H170?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You have 2 options:

1. Get a NVMe SSD with a PCIe connector
2. Get an adapter that converts a M.2 slot to SFF-8643

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Krailor posted:

You have 2 options:

1. Get a NVMe SSD with a PCIe connector
2. Get an adapter that converts a M.2 slot to SFF-8643

M.2 is going to go through the chipset isn't it?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rastor posted:

M.2 is going to go through the chipset isn't it?

Depends on the motherboard.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lowen SoDium posted:

Depends on the motherboard.

That was what probably had me confused.

I too would also like to join in with the rest of the thread in feeling depressed about how Skylake-S didn't have the rumored 20 lanes straight to CPU and also how it's another incremental improvement not worth the premium for a completely new socket motherboard/RAM/everything$$$$

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I've been thinking of building a tiny mini-itx system or buying a nuc/Brix. Is there anything that Skylake might offer that Haswell doesn't offer? I guess incrementally improved igp? I'm mostly interested in network media streaming, Netflix/HBO GO and Steam Streaming. I don't think igp affects any of those, but I guess there could be an odd scenario when I play something on the mini PC itself. My guess is, it's not worth the price of admission for the DDR4 RAM itself.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've been thinking of building a tiny mini-itx system or buying a nuc/Brix. Is there anything that Skylake might offer that Haswell doesn't offer? I guess incrementally improved igp? I'm mostly interested in network media streaming, Netflix/HBO GO and Steam Streaming. I don't think igp affects any of those, but I guess there could be an odd scenario when I play something on the mini PC itself. My guess is, it's not worth the price of admission for the DDR4 RAM itself.

I was waiting for a Skylake i5 NUC, and now I"m reconsidering that and thinking about getting one with an i5-5250u. It all depends on timing, especially because we don't know what sort of premium DDR4 SODIMMS will have when this stuff becomes available. DDR4 full size desktop sticks are already down to a very small price premium.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Skylake NUCs might be one thing where you will see DDR3L happen, as currents already use them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does Skylake output 4k@60hz? If so, a Skylake NUC would make a nice HTPC.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Does Skylake output 4k@60hz? If so, a Skylake NUC would make a nice HTPC.

The leaked roadmap has HDMI 1.4a, not 2.0, so not over HDMI at least.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bleh.

Guess we're waiting for Kaby Lake.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If it's anything like DDR2 or DDR3, DDR4 will probably get alot faster pretty soon. I'd be wary of dropping a bunch of cash on sticks and end up like the people who bought DD2 533 or DDR3 1066 day one.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, how are you getting noise from SPDIF? Shouldn't that be all digital until it hits your reciever?

For analog audio, if the audio circuit is not shielded well (most weren't), not grounded properly, shared a ground with a noisy signal, etc. Also, even with digital signal, lovely asics can and will give you poor output. Look at key specs such as signal to noise ratio (SNR). Good systems will have a higher measured SNR figure.

For my current board, Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3, which uses a Realtek ALC892:
95dB

Asus Xonar DG (C-Media CMI8786) - $30 PCI card
105dB

Asus Z170 PRO GAMING (SupremeFX)
115dB

Remember that dB is a logarithmic scale, so a difference of 20dB between the two onboard audio systems is a 20 times decrease in noise from old to new.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cisco privilege posted:

If it's anything like DDR2 or DDR3, DDR4 will probably get alot faster pretty soon. I'd be wary of dropping a bunch of cash on sticks and end up like the people who bought DD2 533 or DDR3 1066 day one.

1) Hasn't DDR4 been around for a while already? Haswell-E has been using it since last year at least.
2) Will higher speed DDR4 make a real difference for gaming? I'm guessing the answer is "No." In other types of work it might make a difference so if you do more than gaming it might pay to wait.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

I'm very wary of this, but it looks like DDR4 up to 2800 is already a very small price premium in general.

Edit: I just realized I have no idea what DDR4's long term prospects look like. For all I know that DDR4 2800 is the equivalent of DDR3-1333.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
So there's still no real general release date, is there? I keep reading some elusive "available Aug 5" bullshit, but I wouldn't call it available until I can buy from Newegg. Is it still a mystery?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

So there's still no real general release date, is there? I keep reading some elusive "available Aug 5" bullshit, but I wouldn't call it available until I can buy from Newegg. Is it still a mystery?

All the retailers in the EU, both brick and mortar and online had them in stock on shelves. Australia even had them before the release date!

It's just a supply chain issue here in the US. It's probably a good idea to wait for most motherboard reviews to hit anyway.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My local computer store in the US says 14th of August for the 6600K and sometime in the next 2-4 weeks after that for the 6700K, but that supply on 6700K parts is going to be severely limited at first.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I already ordered a 6600K, Asus Z170-A (with a positive review here) and 8GB of DDR4 from Germany on the release day to replace my dying SB board. I'll see in a week if I made a huge mistake.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm hoping to see a nice lineup of motherboard overclocking reviews coming soon. I found a great set of them for Broadwell mobos that had a full suite of stability, max OC, and raw performance benchmarks using the same physical CPU. I know chipsets can be binned as well, but it's still neat to see the large differences between some vendors and models.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Richard M Nixon posted:

Newegg list the 14th for the combos they have with the 6600k. Nothing listed for the 6700k yet.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1) Hasn't DDR4 been around for a while already? Haswell-E has been using it since last year at least.
2) Will higher speed DDR4 make a real difference for gaming? I'm guessing the answer is "No." In other types of work it might make a difference so if you do more than gaming it might pay to wait.

1) Yes, DDR4 launched in servers last summer with Haswell Xeon (and then Haswell-E).
2) Gaming is mostly GPU-bound these days, so this is mostly true (as much as it's true that the CPU doesn't matter that much, which is also mostly true). That said, if you're doing memory-intensive workloads (like CAD/CAE), then it will help.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for a big jump in DDR4 performance. The increments are getting smaller (in terms of relative %, 2400 vs 2133 is not as much of a jump as 1333 vs 1066), and the technologies are close enough to DDR3 that there's not a lot of surprises (at least not good ones).

Turns out that process scaling for DRAM is almost as much of a clusterfuck as scaling logic (CPU) processes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pollyzoid posted:

I already ordered a 6600K, Asus Z170-A (with a positive review here) and 8GB of DDR4 from Germany on the release day to replace my dying SB board. I'll see in a week if I made a huge mistake.

Well, I think you should have waited for the H/B chipsets to save money on the mobo to spend it on the 6700K instead.