Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So of the 20 guys that made the semis, we've got 15 Brazilians, 4 US, and 1 Russian, and only 2 trialists left (Geo and Ramos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm frankly kind of surprised Ramos had to go through the trials, that dude is severely deserving of an invite (then again, so were Tonon and Cummings)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Budovideos put up the whole match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGzM8OJDrU

Is Geo the first Eddie Bravo guy to make the semis since, uh, Eddie Bravo?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
If anyone else is watching live, what'd Yuri just get warned for?

e: "I'm frankly kind of surprised Ramos had to go through the trials, that dude is severely deserving of an invite " --- man he looked good in his first match today
E2 Davi fuckin Ramos

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 30, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
To give context to my second edit above, and because this really needs its own post:

This happened, in an ADCC finals match, vs Lucas mothofockin' Lepri:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That is insanely sick.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
that reminds me of the time i hurt my elbow getting full extension armbarred by some spaz

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Kekekela posted:

To give context to my second edit above, and because this really needs its own post:

hachi machi

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kekekela posted:

I can't even wrap my head around this, let around it happening in a top-flight elite context

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Here is my question I asked about a few pages ago for people who train more than Jiu Jitsu that has bugged me forever.

Most of you know I'm not likely to get back in to Muay Thai/MMA/BJJ sparring ever again because of health things. But when I did I desperately wanted to do things southpaw even though I'm right handed because I actually had a lot of fencing experience where your dominant hand is your lead hand/leg. But my coach at the time (2008/2009) was super against this and flipped his poo poo when I sparred and tried to switch stances. Was this a weird bug he had up his rear end or is it really a cardinal sin to have someone train a different stance from their dominant hand? I never really knew why that was such a big deal and thought you guys who have actual experience might be able to illuminate me.

I appreciate your input. Also, someone posted finally getting a purple belt or a brown belt a few months ago. How is everyone progressing? I started following this thread almost a year ago and would be curious to know how the people that started around then are moving forward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Here is my question I asked about a few pages ago for people who train more than Jiu Jitsu that has bugged me forever.

Most of you know I'm not likely to get back in to Muay Thai/MMA/BJJ sparring ever again because of health things. But when I did I desperately wanted to do things southpaw even though I'm right handed because I actually had a lot of fencing experience where your dominant hand is your lead hand/leg. But my coach at the time (2008/2009) was super against this and flipped his poo poo when I sparred and tried to switch stances. Was this a weird bug he had up his rear end or is it really a cardinal sin to have someone train a different stance from their dominant hand? I never really knew why that was such a big deal and thought you guys who have actual experience might be able to illuminate me.

I appreciate your input. Also, someone posted finally getting a purple belt or a brown belt a few months ago. How is everyone progressing? I started following this thread almost a year ago and would be curious to know how the people that started around then are moving forward.

Weird bug up his rear end imho. I've seen several coaches just ask novices "how do you swing a baseball bat/golf club/hockey stick/shovel." Why should he care if you're using the stance that you find comfortable, if you're using that stance correctly?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

Was this in BJJ? I don't see why he'd care. There's some merit, in boxing or kickboxing, to the thought that a beginner trying to learn everything from a reversed stance is perhaps hampering their development for dubious reasons, but which side you lead with in grappling shouldn't have that big an effect on you unless you're Kurt Pellegrino. In wrestling you lead with your dominant side to get more juice on your shot.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Any competent wrestling coach will teach you to wrestle from either side, but generally in striking coaches don't want beginners to switch; pick one or the other and learn it, and once you're competent from one stance then you can think about learning the other.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanhallbjj/status/637743879261917184

ryan hall posted:

@tanquinhojj 's base and passing are a scathing indictment of the idea that leglocks are some kind of secret to beating elite grapplers.

:wow:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I get that he probably had that one locked and loaded since Eddie's interview last week, and was just waiting for the opponents name to fill in...but goddamn. Eddie won his first match via heel hook in like 3 seconds, then lost to Tanquinho in ot on a negative guard pull point, its not like he was just getting his guard blown by or w/e.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This is just Hall looking for an excuse to be snide, since Cummings never said "leglocks are some kind of secret to beating elite grapplers" or really anything of the kind - and is particularly amusing in light of the fact that Ryan made it to his only ADCC performance by heel-hooking his opponents in the West Coast trials, and the only time he fought Tanquinho himself he did worse than Eddie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think leg locks are popular in high level competition because they're not well known compared to other parts of grappling, so they work better for the attacker than the most likely less informed defender. My old instructor said back in the day it was spider guard that held that spot, and before him I bet the triangle choke was some crazy aberration. As leg attacks get more known, I bet their usage levels off and people explore a new avenue to get an advantage. And all thats good, because as a part timer I can learn the basic "productionized" version of this poo poo and be better for it just like how now I am starting to understand rolling back takes after a few years where that was black magic.

I also am beginning to think they're a great weapon for smaller people vs larger guys for various reasons, can anyone confirm if they really are or its just because people don't know them as well so are more hesistant to get involved in a leg-fest.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

I think leg locks are popular in high level competition because they're not well known compared to other parts of grappling, so they work better for the attacker than the most likely less informed defender. My old instructor said back in the day it was spider guard that held that spot, and before him I bet the triangle choke was some crazy aberration. As leg attacks get more known, I bet their usage levels off and people explore a new avenue to get an advantage. And all thats good, because as a part timer I can learn the basic "productionized" version of this poo poo and be better for it just like how now I am starting to understand rolling back takes after a few years where that was black magic.

I also am beginning to think they're a great weapon for smaller people vs larger guys for various reasons, can anyone confirm if they really are or its just because people don't know them as well so are more hesistant to get involved in a leg-fest.

Nah, having really long legs relative to your opponent is actually a big advantage when it comes to defending leglocks and making their leg control less effective. Think about trying to control your opponent's foot or heel when it's sticking out behind you, past your armpit -- you're basically chicken winging yourself to get your wrist into their achilles. Heel hooks and especially inverted heel hooks mitigate this a bit but not entirely. On top of longer limbs -> more leverage, you have to prevent them from extending that much more in order to have the foot in a good position, and quads are real fuckin strong muscles. Knee bars same problem, the bigger the leg the more leverage disadvantage you have trying to control it.

Toe holds ignore length pretty well, though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 31, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nah, having really long legs relative to your opponent is actually a big advantage when it comes to defending leglocks and making their leg control less effective. Think about trying to control your opponent's foot or heel when it's sticking out behind you, past your armpit -- you're basically chicken winging yourself to get your wrist into their achilles. Heel hooks and especially inverted heel hooks mitigate this a bit but not entirely. On top of longer limbs -> more leverage, you have to prevent them from extending that much more in order to have the foot in a good position, and quads are real fuckin strong muscles. Knee bars same problem, the bigger the leg the more leverage disadvantage you have trying to control it.

Toe holds ignore length pretty well, though.

Yes. I have good look with defending leglocks purely by virtue of my shin being as long as most folks shin+half their thigh. Guys do their usual setup to get control of the leg and their hips are still below my knee. I can sit up, get control of the waist, bend my knees, sprawl, and get to the back from there if I'm fast enough. I'm usually not though because I'm fat.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Rolling backtakes are black magic. I understand them, I use them, but I still feel like I'm breaking some kind of wizard law

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Rolling backtakes are black magic. I understand them, I use them, but I still feel like I'm breaking some kind of wizard law

Yeah. Every time I pull it off and I wonder if I just cheated and muscled it, but I don't think it's really possible to just hulk a back take from that position.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Coincidentally it looks like Ryan Hall is on the next season of TUF with Conor and Faber

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-ultimate-fighter/story/ufc-ultimate-fighter-conor-mcgregor-urijah-faber-full-cast-tuf-22-announced-083115

I thought I heard a rumor about that before but wasn't sure it was ever confirmed. I know he's been working his wrestling so hopefully he can style on a few guys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

Coincidentally it looks like Ryan Hall is on the next season of TUF with Conor and Faber

http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-ultimate-fighter/story/ufc-ultimate-fighter-conor-mcgregor-urijah-faber-full-cast-tuf-22-announced-083115

I thought I heard a rumor about that before but wasn't sure it was ever confirmed. I know he's been working his wrestling so hopefully he can style on a few guys.

I just came here to ask if it was the grapply Ryan Hall

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I am familiar with the new school leg lock game and think it is still quite effective against tall and big opponents. Shin length isn't all that relevant to my finish rate. There is a pretty intricate control transition and finish game there and just because someone has a long shin or extends their leg doesn't mean you have to abandon a leg attack series. Old school heel hooks were pretty dependent on knee bend. The new heel hooks are not nearly as dependent. Even if I am below the knee, there are a number of attacks such as the short ankle lock that will still work. The leg lock game isn't a Konami cheat code but it should be understood and respected. In training, I mostly go for leg locks as counters or when someone repummels a leg loosely. I prefer transitioning back and forth between lower and upper body attacks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

I am familiar with the new school leg lock game and think it is still quite effective against tall and big opponents. Shin length isn't all that relevant to my finish rate. There is a pretty intricate control transition and finish game there and just because someone has a long shin or extends their leg doesn't mean you have to abandon a leg attack series. Old school heel hooks were pretty dependent on knee bend. The new heel hooks are not nearly as dependent. Even if I am below the knee, there are a number of attacks such as the short ankle lock that will still work. The leg lock game isn't a Konami cheat code but it should be understood and respected. In training, I mostly go for leg locks as counters or when someone repummels a leg loosely. I prefer transitioning back and forth between lower and upper body attacks.

Yeah, it's not a leglock game can't be effective against longer opponents, just that it's not an exception to advantage length presents in most areas of grappling. Having long arms can also help a lot with defending leg locks (especially gi), and tends to go along with having long legs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Polaris 2 is looking sweet. September 12.

Polaris posted:

Pedro Bessa vs Luca Anacoreta - GI

Eddie Cummings vs Reilly Bodycomb - NO GI

Robson Moura vs Baret Yoshida - GI

Tom Barlow vs Gianni Grippo - NO GI

Michelle Nicolini vs Gezary Matuda - GI

AJ Agazarm vs Daniel Strauss - NO GI

Vitor Ribeiro vs Nakamura Daisuke - GI

Garry Tonon vs Masakazu Imanari - NO GI

Tonon vs Imanari and Cummings vs Bodycomb are going to be really interesting with regards to all the evolution-of-leglocks stuff that Yuns has been talking about. I hope Reilly doesn't get wrecked, he is a precious angel

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha Ben Henderson competed in the Absolute division at ADCC and got matched up with Rodolfo Vieira. It went about as well as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkz9lpa6Zk

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Polaris 2 is looking sweet. September 12.

Tonon vs Imanari and Cummings vs Bodycomb are going to be really interesting with regards to all the evolution-of-leglocks stuff that Yuns has been talking about. I hope Reilly doesn't get wrecked, he is a precious angel

Reilly's great but I'm also a little concerned that he's not going to be able to keep up from a pure athleticism standpoint.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Reilly's great but I'm also a little concerned that he's not going to be able to keep up from a pure athleticism standpoint.

I don't think there's any real significant advantage in athleticism for either guy; I think if there's any real advantage on either side it's that Cummings has a lot of really top-level training partners and in Louisiana Reilly probably doesn't.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

fatherdog posted:

I don't think there's any real significant advantage in athleticism for either guy; I think if there's any real advantage on either side it's that Cummings has a lot of really top-level training partners and in Louisiana Reilly probably doesn't.

How's his no kurtka dvd? I got the SL4NG one but didn't really understand how the no kurtka one supplements his first foray in instructionals.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AJ Agzagarm can be a huge star if he keeps his chin up and his nose clean, unlike that lout AJ Agazarm.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Odddzy posted:

How's his no kurtka dvd?

I haven't seen his no kurtka DVD specifically, but I've seen his seminars and on that basis I'd recommend it. He's a good, clear instructor who explains things in a very easy manner.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

From what I can tell so far, No Kurtka is mostly the same information as his earlier DVDs, but more concise, filmed with better production quality, and broken down into more easily navigable chapters. Vol. 1 covers a lot of the stuff from Dynamic Entry (in greater detail), Vol. 2 covers a lot of the stuff from that leglock seminar series. I'm finding it more useful as a quick reference. And it's very cheap.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
imanari is gonna get crushed

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
E: nm

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 5, 2015

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Anyone know if Kevin Casey has legit got his bjj black belt? or was there some big falling out with rickson when he left there?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Anyone know if Kevin Casey has legit got his bjj black belt? or was there some big falling out with rickson when he left there?

I was curious so I started googling. I didn't find any info about the black belt but I did uncover Casey's groundbreaking cover of g-in-a-gi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

He basically gave himself his black belt, whereupon he got kicked out of Rickson's gym (because nobody there had actually promoted him) and eventually got accepted back because he voluntarily went back to brown. I believe he's "officially" gotten his black belt from there now, but whether or not he "deserves" it is an open question, because if Kron was good enough friends with him to accept him back after awarding himself a black belt he's also good enough friends to award him a black belt whether he deserves it or not, so there'll always be questions about whether his black belt is truly "legit"

Kron is a very good grappler but he's a young guy and doesn't seem to have very good judgement in the people he gets close to.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ah I see. Kron might learn the hard way this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Check out this article about youth wrestling in Bulgaria Makes me feel like the biggest shithead ever cause I get annoyed about driving 20-30 minutes for affiliate open mat poo poo on the weekends