Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Does this crokus and krumpe plot go anywhere
Yes, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is a karsa spoiler because I can't remember which book but I think its house of chains when they find cartheron/urko crust and he's excavating a skeleton is it an actual dinosaur or a k'chain?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jose posted:

This is a karsa spoiler because I can't remember which book but I think its house of chains when they find cartheron/urko crust and he's excavating a skeleton is it an actual dinosaur or a k'chain?

I think it's an actual dinosaur, because BH spoiler when Apsalar goes there, her dragon ghost friends possess smaller skeletons, and I don't thiiiink there are tiny K'chain . Though I could be wrong, I'm still not done with the whole series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It could also be the skeleton of a dragon or matron. But yeah, there definitely are dinosaur skeletons around.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
Just finished Fall of Light, and after the last few chapters were pretty bleak, with the pointless battle, betrayal of the nobles, deaths of Ivis and Galar Balas, slaughter of the Hust legion, the second to last page brought a smile to my face. There will be justice indeed. Never mind the fact that more chaos will ensue from the death of Urusander, but his ending was totally deserved. What a useless "hero". Now I have to re-read the book to find all the foreshadowing leading to Renarr's decision.

Overall, I liked the book, although the pace was slower than what I would have expected and the beginning had IMHO too many characters contemplating the deeper meaning of existence. Since Erikson wants to finish everything in just one more book I am resigned to the fact that many things will be left hanging.

Random thoughts that will read like a CIA document:
- I thoroughly enjoyed how helpless most characters felt against the unleashed magic. I expect a great deal of dragon blood being spilled in the next book to compensate for that as most of the main characters that survive up to the Malazan series are soletaken.
- The Thel Akai traveling circus was more or less pointless, except for showing the effects of drinking dragon's blood. Maybe there will be more payoff in the next book, but otherwise I would have gladly not read pages upon pages of Lasa Rook's husbands complaining about her cooking and so on.
- After being one of the main characters last book, Arathan did a whole bunch of nothing this book. Again, I hope for this to change in the next one.
- Caladan Brood is awesome, casually offering to destroy Urusander's legion to Anomander and educating Envy and Spite in the nature of magic.
- All the Liosan captains except for Hunn Raal seem pointless characters, as eventually they either die or become mindless cannibals (what's up with Sharenas anyway?). I think only Tathe Lorat survives the final battle?
- And speaking of the previous, the Liosan are mostly assholes with no redeeming qualities, unlike how the Andii are presented. Maybe this comes from the biased narrator (is the story supposed to be told by Gallan or by Fisher?), but I see no reason why Anomander would not unleash Caladan Brood on them. We are talking about a legion of rapists and child murderers led by a guy who merrily poisoned the Hust, slaughtered the Wardens and dreams himself the ruler of Kurald Galain.
- The armies seem small. Urusander's legion is 3000 strong, the Hust about as big. How do we go from here to Midnight Tides, where there were hundreds of thousands of Andii and Edur fighting the K'Chain? Or do they arm all the civilians after the civil war?
- Prazek and Dathenar are funny. What seems strange is that Dathenar was a woman in The Crippled God. At least K'rul's sex change in Esslemont's books is somehow retconned here, but still...
- Skillen Droe is a cool character.
- The Shake assassin is another character that seems to go nowhere. Since the last book is about shadow, I expect him to do something more significant than just lose to Draconus.
- The badass Shake monks all die in a fire. Fits into Erikson's themes (personal skill will not save you from a cusser to the face and so on), but I would have liked to see them crush the Legion company that attacked them.
- The way the last chapters do not show the big fight except indirectly is a nice literary device. Hust Henarald showing the results by basically playing Warhammer seemed interesting.

Anomandaris fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 2, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also just finished Fall of Light. I gotta say this was one of my favorite books of Erikson's, not necessarily for the plot as for the writing, which I thought was fantastic throughout. It was a book that frequently had me reflecting on my own life.

I'll gather some of my thoughts on the plot events in a later post, personally I was fine with the slower pace of events since they gave time for a lot of the characters to get some development. Eagerly awaiting the third book now, in the meantime I'll be rereading this one pretty soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait to read what made you question your love for tim bradley

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is kruppe eel?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yup.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Finally properly starting Toll The Hounds. Couple of chapters in now, just want to double check. Torvald Nom is the guy who was friends with Karsa and was with him in the Nascent, right?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Finished book one. That ending seemed Sanderson esq. Very avalanchey

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

cptn_dr posted:

Finally properly starting Toll The Hounds. Couple of chapters in now, just want to double check. Torvald Nom is the guy who was friends with Karsa and was with him in the Nascent, right?

This is correct.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Continuing through TtH. Getting into the swing of things now. Traveller meeting up with Shadowthrone and Cotillion was wonderful. "We will give you skins of water, dried fruit and the like - the myriad irritating needs of mortality, I seem to recall. Vaguely. Whatever". I don't think I've ever not enjoyed Shadowthrone showing up, though I'm glad he's used sparingly.

Also, my new theory is that a Bridgeburner, or all Bridgeburners, will end up God of death if Dassem, or whoever else, kills Hood. Or they'll all fill up High House Death.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 8, 2016

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

RC Cola posted:

Finished book one. That ending seemed Sanderson esq. Very avalanchey

It'd be the other way around , but, yes, it's one of Erikson's trademarks. Convergences are a massive theme underlying all of the Malazan books, and I like to think the way he weaves plotlines over the last third or so of every book together is a microcosm of that. Except instead of just artificially force-feeding the reader all of the necessary information like Sanderson, Erikson develops it organically.

e: and the books get immensely better from here on out

cptn_dr posted:

Also, my new theory is that a Bridgeburner, or all Bridgeburners, will end up God of death if Dassem, or whoever else, kills Hood. Or they'll all fill up High House Death.

That's a real interestin' theory ya got there....

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

cptn_dr posted:

So what about Fiddler? Is he a Bridgeburner or a Bonehunter?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I need to read fall of light, I'm not used to the CIA document stuff any more. Still torn on re reading forge of darkness first though.

I think we can all agree that jokes aside, the real star of the malazan universe has to be Kyle. I mean his name, it makes him so relatable!

honestly though, how is it even up for debate, unless by best you mean second best behind Karsa.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The way Toll The Hounds is going (and, really, the rest of the series so far), I'm going to be surprised if Anomander is still alive by the end of the book, and gobsmacked if he's still standing by the end of TCG.

That said, Erikson has surprised me before and will certainly do it again.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Masonity posted:

I need to read fall of light, I'm not used to the CIA document stuff any more. Still torn on re reading forge of darkness first though

I didn't reread FoD and it has a taken a bit to remember exactly where all the characters were at the end of it, and there are many references to what happened in that book to jog your memory if you L vaguely remember who was who.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sorry to keep posting low content responses, but I just can't not comment on how much I love Jaghut humour. Especially from Gothos and Raest

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Fiddler is the rarest of creatures...he is the DM's boyfriend

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I finished Midnight Tides over the weekend. gently caress it was good - incredibly well paced, and some fantastic characters too. I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoyed it so much, but it's really stood out. Tehol and Bugg are the best, and Bugg/Mael showing up at the end to punch the Crippled God is up there as one of my favourite moments of the series so far.

Almost a quarter of the way through Night of Knives as of this morning and it's pretty meh. Hopefully I'll be starting The Bonehunters before too long.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I'm reading fall of light and I half remember a name but not really and I think they turn up in the main book under another name and if someone couldrefresh my memory without going on a wiki that would be good. its kagamandra tulas which i assume is tulas shorn but i can't remember anything about him

also who they were in forge of darkness because i've really forgotten

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jose posted:

So I'm reading fall of light and I half remember a name but not really and I think they turn up in the main book under another name and if someone couldrefresh my memory without going on a wiki that would be good. its kagamandra tulas which i assume is tulas shorn but i can't remember anything about him

(TtH spoilers)
-Soletaken Eleint, Anomander Rake's cousin
-Killed during the Jaghut War On Death
-Apparently the "first master" of the Hounds of Shadow. Also "did not dream of peace" according to Endest Silann
-Escapes Death through the rent created by the Trygalle Trade Guild during the events of TtH

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Is anyone aware of a decent Forge of Darkness recap? I honestly do need a quick refresher before nabbing Fall of Light but I can't find my physical copy so a reread if off the table.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Man, I'm about 8000 pages into this series, and I've yet to have the greatest mystery of all revealed - what the gently caress is up with Iskaral Pust's Mule?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

Man, I'm about 8000 pages into this series, and I've yet to have the greatest mystery of all revealed - what the gently caress is up with Iskaral Pust's Mule?

I think I've found my new favorite post in this thread.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

cptn_dr posted:

Of all the posts we've delighted in reading from you as you've gone through, this is the one that should be immortalised in the OP as :allears:.

Hell, that should be a Malazan thread tradition, starting right. loving. now. Every new reader gets one post like this, and we put them all in the OP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't really know if anyone here can answer this but how well have erikson's books sold?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I've decided as I'm bad at organizing my thoughts and opinions on all topics I'd start to do so with the Malazan universe starting immediately. Unfortunately I did just finish TCG and already started Forge of Darkness so I'm just going to start there with chapter summaries/opinions.

Starting of course with Chapter 3 as that is the once I've most recently finished. I may go back and fill in the previous chapters.

Forge of Darkness - Chapter 3:

Korya and the Jaghut Scenes: The first image we get of Korya is her casting herself as a Goddess over her dolls and then the scope of the surrouding environment and how little control she has over it. The dolls are her domain and she realizes it is chilidsh but it is the only element she can control. The Jheleck are as expected. Beastial and pack oriented. I cannot guess what Korya is being prepared for but if I'm remembering correctly I believe Haut is indeed the Captain of the Jaghut Army featured in TCG. Clearly a capable man who holds contempt for warriors. Leads me to wonder what changes that he proceeds to war against Death.

Drukorlat Scenes: This starts to shed light on what happened to create the Sandalath we encounter in the MBotF series. We see the dimissive and harsh mother intent on restoring their estate. The innocence that is abused due to what we can presume is a lack of father figure. We also see what appears to be the final goodbye between Sandalath and Orfantal. Sandalath is then sent off to become hostage once again this time to the Purake Estate. All in all a rather harsh intro for Sandalath who is someone we already know comes to a tragic end. The next part is truly killer as we find out that she still pines for her soldier and more importantly he pines for her. The strongbox full of exchanged stones implies that much is lost in the denial from her mother. We also get a hint of the strength of her mothers teachings and the implications of their high status. Sandalath being unable to ask a commoner for help because it might circulate back to the village and suffering heat stroke as a result must be the combination of the politics of these houses as well as the teachings of her mother but as of yet I am unable to get a feeling for just how strict the societal rules are vs that of her mother.

The Galdan scenes leads me to believe he will show up later. I wonder what sort of impact he will have. I definitely curious and excited to learn more about what caused the Sandalath we discover much much later. I am also deathly curious about Korlat and her origins. I can guess a bit but I'd rather have the full story.

Galar and Kellaras: I have to say these 2 gentlemen are not particularly interesting at this moment. The key item of interest to me is learning more about Draconus, Usander and Mother Dark herself. Here we learn that Mother Dark is expected to marry Ussander and at least from the Purake camp there is a lot of mystery around what Draconus will do. Draconus is seen as a man of honour but his raising an army as well his quick rise to status seems to be what is causing all this mystery around his intentions. As the book clearly states, with a husband what need of a consort?

I will mention that I did enjoy the small moments between the two when Kellaras realzlies he has misjudged Galar, through what appears to be more issues of politics, and Galar finds himself pleased that he will continue on the journey only to realize he no longer has an excuse to deny himself the pleasure/terror of seeing the woman he appears to love.
Also Anonmander being the man I remember is always good. Great way to end the chapter with Erikson revealing just a little bit about the request for a custom Hust sword.

Any feedback on my writing is worthwhile. I may not do this again but it will not be your fault so don't hold back, if I don't do it again it'll be from distracting and a short attention span. I already know its not very good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Felisin makes me sad

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Felisin makes me sad

Does she become The Shi'ak?
Also a Wicken dog just ate a lapdog and now I'm sad

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The saddest thing to happen to her has yet to come. The scene with the 2 dogs isn't what it seems.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mustang posted:

The saddest thing to happen to her has yet to come. The scene with the 2 dogs isn't what it seems.

Please no. My heart can't take it. I have my lapdog in my lap as I'm reading right now

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Please no. My heart can't take it. I have my lapdog in my lap as I'm reading right now

:allears:

The Wickans are still the most impressive storyline to me in the whole series. One of the few books to really emotionally impact me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What is the difference between D'ivers and soletaken?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh no, Mallet and Bluepearl :smith:

RC Cola posted:

What is the difference between D'ivers and soletaken?

A Soletaken is one individual who turns into a single other thing - An Andii into a dragon, etc.
D'ivers is one individual into multiple things - a human into a plague of rats, etc.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

You might start being more careful around it by the time you're finished with the series.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I'm still struggling through those Karsa chapters at the start of House of Chains and they still suck rear end. It's still a lot of him being an awesome warrior killing six people with one blow and catching harpoons with a single hands. He was chained and broken for a while which was cool and good but now he is on a ship and clearly has superpowers as he is completely recovered from being chained down for literally weeks within like a day or so. I'm sure him having those superpowers will be an important plot point five books from now but for now he is still the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm still struggling through those Karsa chapters at the start of House of Chains and they still suck rear end. It's still a lot of him being an awesome warrior killing six people with one blow and catching harpoons with a single hands. He was chained and broken for a while which was cool and good but now he is on a ship and clearly has superpowers as he is completely recovered from being chained down for literally weeks within like a day or so. I'm sure him having those superpowers will be an important plot point five books from now but for now he is still the worst.

Well, he's not human so healing quickly isn't too far fetched right? His buddies got absolutely smoked earlier in the book and it shows how tough they are. Remember when the mage was trying to pin him down? A minute later and Karsa is no longer feeling the pain and planning his escape. The mage said "If it was you down there, sarge, you'd be burnt to a crisp." or something like that.

Also: "Karsa is the worst" Hah!

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 11, 2016