Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hooray for one-man operations.

In other news, my copy of the Sebadoh Secret EP came today. Awesommmmmme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The news of Fomer DEVO drummer Alan Myers passing away due to cancer makes me want my Hardcore Devo even more. :(

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
The first vinyl LP I've bought in years...

:swoon:

I'm creepin' some eBay bids for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey by The Beach Boys. I want original mono pressings since I love those albums (Friends too though it was never released in mono) but they get pretty expensive for whatever reason. They weren't even popular albums when released. :(

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Did That on Television posted:

they get pretty expensive for whatever reason. They weren't even popular albums when released. :(

That's precisely why they get pretty expensive. Less to go around.

Sweet Yoko record.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Gotten a lot of stuff in the mail recently (including this amazing Numero Group compilation of new-age gospel music; if those last four words appeal to you in any way then I IMPLORE you to check this out), but the standout has to be Disclosure's Settle; it motherfucking BOOMS. I'm sure my neighbors will hate it within a matter of weeks but it just sounds so loving crisp and detailed that the only response I can formulate ahead of time is YOU'RE WELCOME.

Still not the best-mastered album of the year (there's no way that won't be Random Access Memories) but seriously, this album sounds loving great.

EDIT: I accidentally a link.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
So this story/question is going to reveal how much of a novice I still am but here goes. A couple years ago my wife got me one of those Crosley Archiver "all-in-one" record players right around the time I started picking up records. I've been thinking about upgrading so today I started doing some casual research and came across a bunch of "Crosley products will destroy your records and kill your dog" blog posts etc. I know from looking over the information on hardware in this thread that Crosley is a don't buy, but how accurate is the "Crosley destroys all vinyl" thing? Basically, can I coast on what I have while I pick out something more legit or should I stop playing records on the thing immediately?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

deadking posted:

So this story/question is going to reveal how much of a novice I still am but here goes. A couple years ago my wife got me one of those Crosley Archiver "all-in-one" record players right around the time I started picking up records. I've been thinking about upgrading so today I started doing some casual research and came across a bunch of "Crosley products will destroy your records and kill your dog" blog posts etc. I know from looking over the information on hardware in this thread that Crosley is a don't buy, but how accurate is the "Crosley destroys all vinyl" thing? Basically, can I coast on what I have while I pick out something more legit or should I stop playing records on the thing immediately?

I'll quote this.

Cemetry Gator posted:

You should be fine. One play shouldn't do too much damage. But you could get to four or five plays and you could really do start doing some damage to the record there.

They're bad turntables and you shouldn't use them. They mess up records.

You could look through the last few pages for solid, inexpensive TT suggestions but the current favorites are the Audiotechnica ATLP120 (not the LP60) $250-$300, the ProJect Debut Carbon $399, and almost anything old that doesn't seem cheap/proprietary as poo poo and has a good cartridge $0-whatever, not more than $250. Follow those leads and you'll have a table that you could use for years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there some way to measure how warped a record is? I've finally been buying some new from Amazon, but the new records they're shipping me are warped as all hell straight out of the packaging. I got one today that is playing OK, but I'm sitting here watching the tonearm visibly bouncing up and down. It's a shame that new records from Amazon would be in worse shape than most garage sale finds.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Any current Insound coupons out right now?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tigren posted:

There's a bunch of websites that always track stuff like that. I just Google "(website) coupon code" before I buy poo poo. It's worked for me a few times already.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Tigren posted:

https://twitter.com/Insound/status/350325329543430145

quote:

TWITTER SALE! Just for our followers - save 10% on your order with coupon code: hashtag10 (good through 6/28)

That's a current coupon code thats good through Friday.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Good news everyone! Nomeansno's wonderful albums Mama and Wrong are both being re-released. http://www.manicpogo.com/Vinyl_c48.htm
Can't wait, Mama is one of my absolute favorite albums.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This is from a ways back, but I got my copies of In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun today. I was pretty impressed that the packaging managed to keep everything tight enough that there is no damage to the jackets or sleeves at all. Also impressive was the amount of stamps that were on it (70!), even though they're all crossed out with marker and there is some other kind of postage thing on the other side. I've never seen so many stamps on something before.

Lightbulb Sun sounds amazing. Maybe my favorite PT album, though there are still a few that I haven't heard.

My copy of In Absentia arrived recently as well :) The jacket is in perfect condition. The records are very slightly warped, but there's no effect to the sound, so I am very happy. Absolutely beautiful records (and beautiful music).

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is there a way to get rid of ring wear? I just have some light imprinting on my Oblivion Soundtrack. Will putting the records on top of the sleeve help flatten it, or will trying to fix it just make it worse?

Also, I went to see A Great Big Pile Of Leaves tonight in Chicago, got their new LP a few days before its release date... and got it signed by the band! The drummer got some sweat on it too, so I guess that's cool.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 28, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dr. Lenin posted:

Is there a way to get rid of ring wear?

I seriously doubt it, but why would you? Light ring wear is hot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, an update on my situation (remember, I'm the one who got the lovely USB suitcase turntable as a birthday present):

My girlfriend's mom is selling her house and gave me her turntable today, but not just the turntable! Also a stereo receiver and two tall speakers. I'm not sure the model numbers on everything, but the turntable and receiver are both Marantz and the speakers are Kenwood. I literally just finished positioning everything in my room. Now I've got these two massive speakers on either side of my bed, my receiver sitting on the right speaker, and to the right of the right speaker is my chest of drawers on top of which my turntable is sitting.

I'm currently playing my Random Access Memories vinyl real loving loud and it's not skipping or anything. Sounds tight :D

Literally the only problem with this setup is the right speaker seems to have a buzz to it that only gets louder when I up the volume. It's only noticeable when the music is low, or when I have the receiver on but no record playing. When the music really gets going, it's not as noticeable but it's definitely still there. Any ideas? Like I said, I just finished setting all this stuff up, so I haven't had time to test anything on that yet.

Also, my girlfriend's mom is also getting rid of her old vinyl collection and I got copies of The Beatles' White Album and Abbey Road (both of which she had bought secondhand decades ago, so neither of those are in great condition packaging-wise, but the records still play alright) and Rush's Moving Pictures :cool:

I'll post pictures later if anyone wants to see.

Thanks again for your help in convincing me to grab this setup and ditch my suitcase thing entirely, you guys!

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Oh, Marantz. That's a terrible brand, man. I'll give you $50 for the whole set.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Smekerman posted:

Oh, Marantz. That's a terrible brand, man. I'll give you $50 for the whole set.

Careful, dude. It might be from the late '90s, in which case you'd be paying what it's worth.

Rageaholic Monkey, post those pics. STAT.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't even tell if you guys are joking :negative:

Judging by the look of it, this stuff doesn't look like it's from the 90s. Well, maybe the speakers are. They look newer than the turntable/receiver. The turntable/receiver look like they're from...I don't know, the late 70s or early 80s? They look really retro. I honestly have no idea, though.

The cartridge/stylus looks like it was recently replaced, though. Like maybe within the last few years? It looks newer than the rest of the parts on it, at least. It's an Audio Technica 30E/U.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow (well, later today actually). I feel like I've been fooling with this stuff way too much today, since I went to my girlfriend's mom's house like half an hour out of town, tested some records on it, then unhooked everything and loaded it into my car, then unloaded it into my house, then positioned everything multiple different ways until I found one that worked. I need to take a break from it already :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will literally give you $50 for the set as I don't have a set right now. (assuming you don't live very far away from Newcastle/Sydney)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My Hardcore DEVO arrived today. Very little corner damage due to shipping but overall it's amazing. Dunno where I'm gonna hang the poster, it's huge.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't even tell if you guys are joking :negative:

Judging by the look of it, this stuff doesn't look like it's from the 90s. Well, maybe the speakers are. They look newer than the turntable/receiver. The turntable/receiver look like they're from...I don't know, the late 70s or early 80s? They look really retro. I honestly have no idea, though.

The cartridge/stylus looks like it was recently replaced, though. Like maybe within the last few years? It looks newer than the rest of the parts on it, at least. It's an Audio Technica 30E/U.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow (well, later today actually). I feel like I've been fooling with this stuff way too much today, since I went to my girlfriend's mom's house like half an hour out of town, tested some records on it, then unhooked everything and loaded it into my car, then unloaded it into my house, then positioned everything multiple different ways until I found one that worked. I need to take a break from it already :v:

You made out like a bandit. Marantz is very high quality stuff. Try looking up your model numbers on ebay.

Also post some pics!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I went saw David Byrne and Saint Vincent perform last night and after the show I got their autographs.

This is a promotional poster for the show:

And my copy of Fear of Music also signed by David Byrne:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So I went saw David Byrne and Saint Vincent perform last night and after the show I got their autographs.

Aw word! My best friend saw them last week and got his copy of Actor signed by Annie Clark. You made out way better, tho.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aw word! My best friend saw them last week and got his copy of Actor signed by Annie Clark. You made out way better, tho.

She's super nice in person and was genuinely excited to be there. She talked about how working with David Byrne is literally a dream come true for her. I kind of want to be friends with her now.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

wa27 posted:

You made out like a bandit. Marantz is very high quality stuff. Try looking up your model numbers on ebay.

Also post some pics!

They made some absolute tat after the were sold to a Philips in the late 70s. It's a shame as they were both once companies with products of high quality.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wa27 posted:

Also post some pics!

Phew! That's refreshing to hear :) I'd never heard of Marantz before, so it's good to know they're reputable and not some junk brand.

Here are some resized, cropped iPhone pics of the whole setup, but you get the idea:

Receiver: Marantz SR225

Speaker: Kenwood KSH52
(this one shows you how big the thing is next to my bed:)

Turntable: Marantz TT1060

Also, I think I left this one out in one of my posts last night, but I also scored a vinyl copy of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in this haul :D

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

They made some absolute tat after the were sold to a Philips in the late 70s. It's a shame as they were both once companies with products of high quality.

Yeah, they really did go downhill after that. The Japanese Superscope stuff was pretty nice, though. I used one of these for 5-6 years:

It sounded really nice and looked really pretty; only some seriously top-level vintage stuff was worth replacing it with.

e:

Phew! That's refreshing to hear :) I'd never heard of Marantz before, so it's good to know they're reputable and not some junk brand.

Here are some resized, cropped iPhone pics of the whole setup, but you get the idea:

Nice score man! That does look like an 80s Marantz*, but gently caress it, that's not bad at all for a free score. I don't know much about Marantz tt's; are they good?

*Why the gently caress did they stop using the blue tuner lamps in the 80s? That was their goddamn trademark!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I had a turntable almost exactly like that when I first started collecting, the TT2000. It did the job until I bought my SL-1200. Can't really say much bad about my particular unit, I got it second hand from Cashies for like $20 so it was pretty rough. I think it's still in the shed somewhere.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Ah, I didn't know that. Either way, it's still a big step up from the suitcase player he had. :)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

I kind of want to be friends with her now.

I'd settle for having her write XOXO on anything. She's awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Haul shots

Very nice score! It's not the legendary hyper-powered stuff that goes for thousands on ebay, but it's a great receiver with more than enough power (25 WPC) for a :krad: bedroom setup. I'd be very pleased with it (though the speakers are admittedly massive).

The first thing I'd recommend is to get your equipment off of the speakers. It's not a good place to be for either of them. Get the receiver and turntable on their own flat tabletop. Unlike bookshelf speakers, those Kenwoods are going to vibrate a lot with their 12" woofers, so you'll want to have a little distance between them and the equipment. If you need speaker wire, it's dirt cheap on monoprice.com or cheap enough at your local hardware store or Home Depot.

As for the right speaker buzzing, it could be any number of things. First thing is to remove the receiver from its current perch and see if that helps (could be EM interference). Next, switch the speakers (so the right speaker's connected to the 'Left' input and vice-versa) to see if the problem's in that speaker or in the equipment.

If it's not a speaker issue, try changing the speakers to the 'B' outputs if your receiver has them- see if that helps. I assume your receiver's got an Aux input. Get a digital music source of some kind [CD player/minijack-to-RCA Y-splitter (dirt cheap at Monoprice/Home Depot if you don't already have one) connected to an iPod or laptop] and try that poo poo out. Let us know how those tests go.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it- Does your Turntable have a ground wire, and if so, is it attached to the GND screw on the back of the receiver? That's the first thing I'd check, after getting your receiver off that speaker.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

I saw them last Sunday, hella jealous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lots of advice

Thanks for all the tips! :)

I tried moving the receiver off the top of the speaker and onto a flat surface (the turntable is already on a flat surface). Then I turned on the receiver and nothing changed. I then disconnected just the right speaker and turned on the receiver and was still getting the buzz. Then I disconnected the left speaker and only plugged the right one in and the buzz was still there. So I guess it's coming out of both speakers.

I don't see B inputs anywhere. There's only 4 ports for speakers: 2 red and 2 black, which are all taken up by my Kenwoods.

Playing through the radio sounds fine, as does playing through my iPhone. No buzz at all that I can hear. Also, I'm really glad you suggested that I try that because I wasn't even thinking I could hook up my iPod/iPhone to this thing through the AUX port. I have an RCA splitter and an extra 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and I hooked it up to this thing and it plays just fine. I don't know why, but the thought to do that with this system hadn't even crossed my mind. So awesome! Currently playing NIN's Came Back Haunted through my phone and it sounds dope on these speakers. :neckbeard:

So yeah, the buzzing....I'm guessing it's related to the turntable then. It does have a ground wire, but that isn't attached to anything. Would that be why? I have no idea where to attach it. Here's what the back of the receiver looks like:

Where would I plug that wire in? Where it says TTTT GND? Because the other one's for the radio, right? And how would I go about plugging it in there? It doesn't look like there's another end to feed the wire into anywhere.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 28, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You would wrap the ground wire around that terminal. Receiver should have had a nut or cap on that terminal to tighten. I think that's how it works.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Yes, it should go to where it says ground. Screw the wire in under the nut on the ground post.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Might Be Adam posted:

You would wrap the ground wire around that terminal. Receiver should have had a nut or cap on that terminal to tighten. I think that's how it works.

eggsovereasy posted:

Yes, it should go to where it says ground. Screw the wire in under the nut on the ground post.

Huh, well what do you know. That seemed to fix the buzz!

e: Nevermind, I got it on there securely. Thanks guys!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 28, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Huh, well what do you know. That seemed to fix the buzz!

Yes, well that's what the ground wire is supposed to do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes, well that's what the ground wire is supposed to do.

I didn't know :downs: When I was disconnecting the system at my girlfriend's mom's house yesterday to take home, I was making note of where everything was plugged in so I could set it up the same way when I got home, and I don't remember the ground wire being on there. Maybe it was just sitting loosely on top the post and came off as soon as I moved the receiver a bit so I never saw it on there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Do those paper inner sleeves with the rounded corners piss anyone else off or am I just a clumsy gently caress.