Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Welp, looks like Perian (http://perian.org/) is being discontinued:

quote:

A notice to all of our users and supporters

We began the Perian project over 6 years ago. We wanted to simplify viewing your content. Our team has attained that goal and with that in mind, Perian will be retired soon. Our stewardship has been a blast but it's time for all of us to move on.

From the beginning we kept Perian simple. Our preferences were minimal, updating was easy, and we gradually grew the product to add in extras like subtitles and different formats. We've contributed a lot. Today, Perian stands as complete as it ever will be under our stewardship.

There are some projects that we never got to. As an example, we would have liked an official, flexible, and well-documented import API to speed up MKV. We hit a brick wall there. Still, we reached a great stopping point and Perian's installed userbase proves how valuable this tool became to so many people.

Starting 90 days after the final Perian release, we will no longer provide support. We'll wrap up our loose ends, pack up our bags, and move on to new and exciting projects.

Here's what our roadmap looks like:

We will soon release the final version of Perian, including all the fixes we've worked on since the last release. It may -- or may not -- work on 10.8.
We will post the source code to either Google Code or Github.
Here's what we're looking for from you, our users

Download Niceplayer , it's pretty great -- and those folks are doing a fantastic job.
Support each other on our Google Group list . We mean this. Just because we aren't helping anymore on a regular basis, that doesn't mean that you can't.
Are you a developer? Pick up where we left off. Join us on #perian on irc.freenode.net. Yeah, we're all pretty busy -- so stick around after asking your question. You may have to wait a bit for an answer. Chalk it up to asynchronous tech support.
Want to donate? We appreciate the thought. It's hard times these days and your money will make a bigger impact elsewhere. Consider Child's Play , Ronald McDonald House , or the EFF . We no longer accept donations.
A final word: If and when Perian stops working, try looking into VLC or MPlayer OS X. Sure, they're not Perian, but they offer great software still under development.

Thanks for all of your support over the years. It has meant a lot to all of us.

Chris Forsythe
Graham Booker
Alexander Strange
Augie Fackler

PS We would like to thank Erica Sadun for helping us write this letter, and for general guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. I hope someone picks up the torch.

The thought of relying on VLC or MPlayer just makes me want to.. Ehh.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've been doing just fine without Perian for a few years now anyway.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I remember using perian a long time ago but honestly mplayer has been fine for a while now. The one in the app store (MplayerX) is actually pretty good and been getting updated regularly. Sad to see an option go though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have no doubt that mplayerx is a good app, I just don't like the idea of not having full support for all those file formats within OSX itself.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I don't really get how MplayerX is allowed to exist, it clearly relies on binaries from mplayer/ffmpeg, I thought GPL stuff was no-go on the app store?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

I don't really get how MplayerX is allowed to exist, it clearly relies on binaries from mplayer/ffmpeg, I thought GPL stuff was no-go on the app store?
It's not nearly that black and white.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wait, what is wrong with VLC? It plays everything I need it to, and the new interface is actually kind of nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NOTinuyasha posted:

Apple doesn't care about GPL or not. The only time they take stuff down is when a copyright holder complains.

Anyway, I liked perian but QuickTime player is lovely enough that I just ended up using VLC for everything anyway so I admit I haven't had it installed for a long time either.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's not nearly that black and white.

The GPL/App store license incompatibility seems clear:

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement
http://createdigitalmotion.com/2011/01/as-apple-pulls-gpl-licensed-vlc-the-developers-version-of-events-what-it-means-for-free-video/

Blatant disregard for licensing seems like a red flag to me, what else does the author not care about?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So file a complaint on their behalf.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I was gonna submit it to the ffmpeg hall of shame, but they took that part of the site down for some reason. Between googling that and complaining here I'm totally spent.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I have no doubt that mplayerx is a good app, I just don't like the idea of not having full support for all those file formats within OSX itself.
Yeah it's useful for various apps that take in QT/plugin compatible formats and don't have their own codecs built in.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

The week I've had a lot of problems with the audio balance - it looks like the balance is getting thrown to the left in the Sound preference pane. I googled around a bit and saw that this has been a regular and ongoing problem, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has a fix or workaround. It's really odd that it just started this week!

This occasionally happens to me on my iMac (I think as far back as Leopard). I've heard that it's a bug that can occur when pressing the volume up/down keys too quickly but, speaking as someone who is pretty untechnical, that could be complete nonsense and I wouldn't know.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Have they tracked down the reason as to why OS X sometimes logs out when viewing video or audio files? It sometimes happens when I open something in Quicktime or the folder video previews load up. The screen goes gray and the spinning loading icon appears for a moment and I'm thrown back to the login screen. I remember this being an issue in SL but apparently it carried over to Lion and I'm wondering if it's because of a certain software or codec or something.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Stare-Out posted:

Have they tracked down the reason as to why OS X sometimes logs out when viewing video or audio files? It sometimes happens when I open something in Quicktime or the folder video previews load up. The screen goes gray and the spinning loading icon appears for a moment and I'm thrown back to the login screen. I remember this being an issue in SL but apparently it carried over to Lion and I'm wondering if it's because of a certain software or codec or something.

It's highly likely that is Core Graphics crashing..but to be sure..

You should create a test user account to see if you can recreate the same symptoms.

and

Have you ran disk repair lately? I'd recommend doing that. (From the Recovery Partition)

To be really sure what's causing it, you'll have to open Console and look into the System Diagnostic Reports.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

decypher posted:

It's highly likely that is Core Graphics crashing..but to be sure..

You should create a test user account to see if you can recreate the same symptoms.

and

Have you ran disk repair lately? I'd recommend doing that. (From the Recovery Partition)

To be really sure what's causing it, you'll have to open Console and look into the System Diagnostic Reports.
The disk is fine and everything else works as it should, but this happens for no apparent reason. Usually quicktime and the like work just great, but suddenly I might get logged out if I start watching a video on youtube or in Quicktime. I'll be sure to check the crash report next time it happens. Unless 10.7.4 fixes it as I'm just about to update.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, don't just rely on crash reports. Check all your system logs in Console.app, open terminal and run "sudo dmesg" if you have to. There's a lot of information available if you know where to look and how to parse the useful information from regular diagnostic information :)

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
My MacBook pro was stuck at the apple logo screen with the spinning thing for an hour and wouldn't boot. Safe boot works. When I turned on verbose boot, it's stuck at the following line:

Ham kernel extension version 20090913 <mattias.nissler@gmx.de>

I have no idea what that means or where to go from here. Any ideas?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Modern Pragmatist posted:

My MacBook pro was stuck at the apple logo screen with the spinning thing for an hour and wouldn't boot. Safe boot works. When I turned on verbose boot, it's stuck at the following line:

Ham kernel extension version 20090913 <mattias.nissler@gmx.de>

I have no idea what that means or where to go from here. Any ideas?

Check /System/Library/Extensions/ for something called TunTap. Either delete it or move it out of that folder to somewhere else and try restarting again.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

1997 posted:

Check /System/Library/Extensions/ for something called TunTap. Either delete it or move it out of that folder to somewhere else and try restarting again.

I don't have that particular kernel extension, so no luck.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

That's interesting because Googling the e-mail address listed for that kernel extensions shows that's the only application made by that developer.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

1997 posted:

That's interesting because Googling the e-mail address listed for that kernel extensions shows that's the only application made by that developer.

Well I did have a ham.kext that I moved and then that message disappeared but still no boot. I think that it's printing information about the kernel extensions after they are loaded and for some reason whatever is loaded after ham is the culprit. It's almost like I need an extra verbose mode.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I'm guessing no, but did you look for tap.kext and tun.kext? (rather than "tuntap.kext") Looks like there's stuff in /Library/StartupItems too going by this:
http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/faq.xhtml

Looked up ham.kext and that guy's name and it looks like that's Hamachi:
http://www.networkshamachi.com/default.asp?page=hamachi-download
http://files.hamachi.cc/osx/README

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Since I've groused about its absence a few times before, I might as well mention that native Lion fullscreen support has been available in the Firefox nightly builds for a few weeks now, and is targeted for mainstream rollout with FF14.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just updated Safari via Software Update, and it claims my Flash is out of date. Fair enough I thought, and downloaded the installer, but as I was about to install it, I remembered the recent virus that masked itself as a Flash install. Could this be it? :ohdear:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I just updated Safari via Software Update, and it claims my Flash is out of date. Fair enough I thought, and downloaded the installer, but as I was about to install it, I remembered the recent virus that masked itself as a Flash install. Could this be it? :ohdear:

The latest update to Safari it supposed to disable old out of date versions of flash and prompt you to upgrade.

But if you aren't sure, just go download the latest flash from adobe's website and install it yourself.

Edit: If you weren't visiting a suspicious website when that popped up, then it's probably just Safari doing it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

echobucket posted:

The latest update to Safari it supposed to disable old out of date versions of flash and prompt you to upgrade.

But if you aren't sure, just go download the latest flash from adobe's website and install it yourself.

Edit: If you weren't visiting a suspicious website when that popped up, then it's probably just Safari doing it.
I use Chrome exclusively, and it's supposed to keep Flash updated automatically. But it did look like Safari was prompting me to install the latest version and directed me to Adobe's website. Better safe than sorry though. Thanks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I use Chrome exclusively, and it's supposed to keep Flash updated automatically. But it did look like Safari was prompting me to install the latest version and directed me to Adobe's website. Better safe than sorry though. Thanks.

If you only use Chrome anyway, the safest thing would be to just uninstall Flash all together.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

japtor posted:

I'm guessing no, but did you look for tap.kext and tun.kext? (rather than "tuntap.kext") Looks like there's stuff in /Library/StartupItems too going by this:
http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/faq.xhtml

Looked up ham.kext and that guy's name and it looks like that's Hamachi:
http://www.networkshamachi.com/default.asp?page=hamachi-download
http://files.hamachi.cc/osx/README

Yeah I didn't have either of those. I basically just went into /System/Library/Extensions and started moving things to a temp folder and it turns out that I was able to get it to boot after removing all Parallels kernel extensions. I'll google around and see if people have been having problems with that. Thanks for the help.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Yeah I didn't have either of those. I basically just went into /System/Library/Extensions and started moving things to a temp folder and it turns out that I was able to get it to boot after removing all Parallels kernel extensions. I'll google around and see if people have been having problems with that. Thanks for the help.

I'll go ahead and tell you now that yes, people have lots of problems with Parallels kexts preventing boot up. I never found the solution to fix it since I just uninstalled it from my machine.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

1997 posted:

I'll go ahead and tell you now that yes, people have lots of problems with Parallels kexts preventing boot up. I never found the solution to fix it since I just uninstalled it from my machine.

Weird, I've been using it for years and never experienced anything like that. I use it heavily as well. Guess I should consider myself lucky.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I've been noticing lately that when I come back from suspend or lock timeout in my Fall 2010 MacBook Air the backlight won't turn on. I can see the screen is on if I look at it in the light. If I hard restart it the light works fine again.

Any ideas?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zapped the PRAM, reset the SMC, had a Fruit Stand check your AC adapter?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Stare-Out posted:

Chrome keeps its own internal version of Flash up to date. It won't update the systemwide version of Flash you apparently have redundantly installed.

explosivo posted:

Wait, what is wrong with VLC? It plays everything I need it to, and the new interface is actually kind of nice.

Same problems as all other cross-platform apps where OS X is treated as a secondary or even tertiary priority: hamfisted design and feature implementation. Just look at how VLC handles full screen mode: it's using its own implementation rather than the systemwide implementation found in, say, Safari. So you wind up full screening on that desktop rather than having VLC full screen on its own desktop.

The one thing I like about VLC is how it downmixes surround sound to stereo/2.1. I consistently hear more detail and depth through VLC than I do through, say, MPlayerX.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 19, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Is Synergy still the best app for OS X and Windows KM sharing, and if so are there any prefpanes or menu items that make it easier to set up?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

timb posted:

I've been noticing lately that when I come back from suspend or lock timeout in my Fall 2010 MacBook Air the backlight won't turn on. I can see the screen is on if I look at it in the light. If I hard restart it the light works fine again.

Any ideas?

Have you tried changing the brightness? The screen stays dark when I open up my 2010 MBP until I change the brightness, for some dumb reason.

Terpfen posted:

Just look at how VLC handles full screen mode: it's using its own implementation rather than the systemwide implementation found in, say, Safari. So you wind up full screening on that desktop rather than having VLC full screen on its own desktop.

There's an option to use Lion's fullscreen as of version 2.

Personally, I'm glad they don't do that, because I enjoy being able to see things on my other monitor if I'm fullscreening something.

VLC isn't the prettiest, but I still prefer having a separate playlist window.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zenostein posted:

Personally, I'm glad they don't do that, because I enjoy being able to see things on my other monitor if I'm fullscreening something.

drat straight!

I'm glad that apps like VLC and VMWare implement their own non-retarded fullscreen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will never fathom why Apple implemented fullscreen the way they did.

"Let's make the other monitor useless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I kinda figure that fullscreen is meant more for laptops, especially the airs, with smaller screens. On those, it almost makes sense to say, fullscreen safari or mail or whatever. On anything with a decent resolution, at least the way I use a computer, the only thing I'll fullscreen is some sort of video player. (And iCal, but that's just because I may as well, not because it's particularly helpful).

When you have multiple monitors, you have the real estate where full-screening isn't all that useful, I guess.

Honestly, it's just another of many stupid things that appeared in Lion and won't gently caress off, in my view.