Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

red19fire posted:

Lump charcoal and hardwood chunks.

8 hours in, still holding steady at 225. Internal temp has been 155 for 2 hours so it's solidly in the plateau period. Debating if I should pull it now or let it ride.

Do you guys wrap it in foil ever? I keep it fat-side up, and it's always incredibly juicy.

Crutching doesn't change the moisture of the meat itself but it does soften the bark and reduce the smoke flavor (both are subtle differences.) If you want to push through the stall quickly then wrap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'll do that next time then, don't want to put the grill away at 3 am. I am completely shocked that this was so painless after all the problems I've had. I think the key is to keep the exhaust vent open 1-2mm with the party-Q.

Next time I'll start at 6 am.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Veritek83 posted:

Steven Raichlen has a tea smoked duck recipe that I'm hoping to try soon. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tea-smoked-duck-with-hoisin-barbecue-sauce/

I'd recommend it. Anything by Raichlen is a solid bet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Those of you that start smoking (i.e. put meat on grill) at 6 am, what time are you getting up and getting the meat out? Or do you throw it on cold without letting it come up to room temp?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Those of you that start smoking (i.e. put meat on grill) at 6 am, what time are you getting up and getting the meat out? Or do you throw it on cold without letting it come up to room temp?

I usually give myself 90 minutes to get everything going before I plan on putting the meat on. But if the smoker is ready, I figure the meat is better off in there than it is out here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For cooks that are over 8 hours, I'd rather start it at midnight, go to bed, and finish it and hold it for a few hours than starting in morning.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Any decent sized piece of meat is going to take hours to get to room temperature so there's no point doing that.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

sellouts posted:

For cooks that are over 8 hours, I'd rather start it at midnight, go to bed, and finish it and hold it for a few hours than starting in morning.

This is my approach as well, especially since I have a Masterbuilt Electric and it'll hold temps like a champ with zero oversight on my part.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tivac posted:

This is my approach as well, especially since I have a Masterbuilt Electric and it'll hold temps like a champ with zero oversight on my part.

Same here.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I love my MES, but the heating element gave out. Anyone have any experience with replacing one themselves?

Edit: NM, after spending 8 seconds googling it, found a full Youtube video tutorial.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sellouts posted:

This x1000.

I found a full packer brisket at Costco (kind of rare in these parts) and it took all my restraint to not buy it. It's just me here this week so no way I can eat 13 pounds of meat alone.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Doom Rooster posted:

I love my MES, but the heating element gave out. Anyone have any experience with replacing one themselves?

Edit: NM, after spending 8 seconds googling it, found a full Youtube video tutorial.

Mind sharing the link? I like being lazy and that seems useful to have around.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You probably spent more time asking for the link, then it would have taken you. First video result for "replace heating element on masterbuilt smoker".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTeSlAtzmc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Larrymer posted:

This x1000.

I found a full packer brisket at Costco (kind of rare in these parts) and it took all my restraint to not buy it. It's just me here this week so no way I can eat 13 pounds of meat alone.

I'd say give it to your friends but we post on a message board.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

You probably spent more time asking for the link, then it would have taken you. First video result for "replace heating element on masterbuilt smoker".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTeSlAtzmc

:ironicat:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MB has good costumer service. They know what you are asking for right off the bat and will ask how long you had it.

The kit costs around $30 and is pretty easy to install.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What's weird is I have unburned applewood chunks like an inch from the coals that burned. Is there some kind of trick to getting the wood to light? I don't want to put them directly on burning coals, right? I guess I could take the grates off and shuffle the coals around, maybe that will work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm trying to work up the nerve to just go through with it

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

red19fire posted:

What's weird is I have unburned applewood chunks like an inch from the coals that burned. Is there some kind of trick to getting the wood to light? I don't want to put them directly on burning coals, right? I guess I could take the grates off and shuffle the coals around, maybe that will work.

Uhhh I just throw my wood chunks on the coals? They need to burn to smoke so I'm not sure what else you'd do?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

You would think so, but all the videos I've seen they put the wood chunks at the edge of the coal bowl. gently caress it, I'll try it next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dick Nipples posted:

Uhhh I just throw my wood chunks on the coals? They need to burn to smoke so I'm not sure what else you'd do?

Same. When the smoke thins a bit I put the meat on. That's p much it afaik.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has anyone smoked a tri tip before? I've grilled a million of them but want to try smoking one. Mostly trying to decide whether to marinate or dry rub and also curious how long it'll take at 225 or so to get to medium rare. I'm guessing 2-3 hours. I'm also guessing I'll need to sear it after smoking or the surface texture won't be great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

You would think so, but all the videos I've seen they put the wood chunks at the edge of the coal bowl. gently caress it, I'll try it next time.

I've never seen nor heard of this. With an egg I'm not even sure how you'd do it (keep the wood from touching the charcoal). I pour in some lump and then scatter a liberal amount of chunks around, then more lump, then more wood.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

scrubs season six posted:

Has anyone smoked a tri tip before? I've grilled a million of them but want to try smoking one. Mostly trying to decide whether to marinate or dry rub and also curious how long it'll take at 225 or so to get to medium rare. I'm guessing 2-3 hours. I'm also guessing I'll need to sear it after smoking or the surface texture won't be great.

Your guesses are spot on. I do 225 until it hits 130, rest for 15 while I add coals/crank the heat. Quick search on both sides gets the middle perfectly med rare. I use red oak I found at a local socal store as that's what's most smoking sites suggest for Santa Maria style tri tip.

I do a dry rub of salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, chipotle powder. Super thin slices for sandwiches or half inch slices for the table and people can grab as much as they want.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

El Jebus posted:

Your guesses are spot on. I do 225 until it hits 130, rest for 15 while I add coals/crank the heat. Quick search on both sides gets the middle perfectly med rare. I use red oak I found at a local socal store as that's what's most smoking sites suggest for Santa Maria style tri tip.

I do a dry rub of salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, chipotle powder. Super thin slices for sandwiches or half inch slices for the table and people can grab as much as they want.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Either going to do it tonight for late dinner or tomorrow for lunch. Probably tomorrow.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Either going to do it tonight for late dinner or tomorrow for lunch. Probably tomorrow.

It goes faster than the 2-3 hours you posted. Closer to two for total cook time.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/santa_maria_tri-tip_steaks.html

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

El Jebus posted:

I did something similar earlier this year, turned out better than expected.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Coffee and brown sugar is also a real good base for beef and produces a sick crust

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What kind of coffee and how much works well for brisket? Ive experimented with coffee as part of a rub with salt and pepper on brisket a few times but the taste of the coffee never really came through. Ive been using a medium roast coffee at about half a teaspoon per pound of brisket. Adding more seems risky so Ive been hesitant to do that, but I have been thinking about coffee with chicory since I love that stuff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My only other concern is about resting and temp rise. When I'm grilling a tri tip I think I started pulling them at around 118-120 because they rise such a massive amount while resting (which isn't a surprise because the exterior has been exposed to 500+ degrees while the interior is still ~120). The exterior being not any hotter than 225 makes me think I can basically treat continued cooking as a non issue. Like maybe pull it 3 degrees early rather than 15+.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CoffeeBooze posted:

What kind of coffee and how much works well for brisket? Ive experimented with coffee as part of a rub with salt and pepper on brisket a few times but the taste of the coffee never really came through. Ive been using a medium roast coffee at about half a teaspoon per pound of brisket. Adding more seems risky so Ive been hesitant to do that, but I have been thinking about coffee with chicory since I love that stuff.

I've used coffee a few times for brisket. My opinion is that if you could really taste the coffee it probably wouldn't be good and you're more just adding flavor profiles or umami or whatever the hell. Like if I ate a brisket and the dominant flavor was coffee, or beef and then coffee, I'd probably throw it in the trash. And I love coffee.

1/2 a tsp isn't much though from the rubs I generally use which probably start at 3 Tbsp of granulated garlic and then go from there.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Coffee works better in sauce than in rub imo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Completely agreed

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

CoffeeBooze posted:

Like others have said, the type of coffee doesn't really matter and you probably don't want the flavor to stand out. Personally I use coffee because I've had luck with it producing a nice bark on tri-tip (although that's probably due to the brown sugar more than anything else).

Gorman Thomas posted:

Prime tri-tip at 210-225 for 3 hours

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

I usually just use Montreal steak seasoning as a rub because I'm lazy. It takes a little over 2 hours to smoke to get them to around medium. I don't bother searing them after. Just pull them off and let them rest before carving and they always turn out great. So you don't need to sear but I'm sure that would come out great too.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Larrymer posted:

This x1000.

Get a vacuum sealer and a sous vide circulator. Smoke your brisket/pork butt/whatever, eat what you want, as soon as the rest cools off enough to handle, vacuum seal it (preferably in thin packages, like brisket slices or a flat layer of pulled pork) and freeze. Then straight into the bath to thaw & heat at ~165 for an hour and a half (if it's thin). I was absolutely amazed at the flavor and texture.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Seconding that. Smoked meat (especially pork) freezes exceptionally well and when reheated gently the texture and taste is almost indistinguishable from fresh out of the smoker. My wife and I do this with pork shoulder when it's on sale and it makes for really quick weeknight meals when paired with whatever else you are whipping up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rescue Toaster posted:

Get a vacuum sealer and a sous vide circulator. Smoke your brisket/pork butt/whatever, eat what you want, as soon as the rest cools off enough to handle, vacuum seal it (preferably in thin packages, like brisket slices or a flat layer of pulled pork) and freeze. Then straight into the bath to thaw & heat at ~165 for an hour and a half (if it's thin). I was absolutely amazed at the flavor and texture.

Do you have recommendations for these?

(I bought a brisket today anyway before seeing this post :getin:)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Do you have recommendations for these?

(I bought a brisket today anyway before seeing this post :getin:)

I just use a food saver sealer and the basic (non-wifi) anova circulator. There's a whole Sous Vide thread here in the Something Offal forum with recommendations on equipment and all kinds of fun things to do with them. But probably the ability to perfectly reheat bbq is my favorite trick.

Costco had prime grade packer brisket for $3/lb yesterday, but I was seduced by the prime grade whole NY strip, probably keep a ~3.5 pound roast off the 'bad' end to smoke and slice up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rescue Toaster posted:

I just use a food saver sealer and the basic (non-wifi) anova circulator. There's a whole Sous Vide thread here in the Something Offal forum with recommendations on equipment and all kinds of fun things to do with them. But probably the ability to perfectly reheat bbq is my favorite trick.

Costco had prime grade packer brisket for $3/lb yesterday, but I was seduced by the prime grade whole NY strip, probably keep a ~3.5 pound roast off the 'bad' end to smoke and slice up.

Haven't been to Costco lately...do you recall what steaks were running per pound?