Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

How are people handling vswap files on their environments? We started fairly small and grew, so I let them sit right along side the vmx and C: disk files on an OS vols datastore that dedupes on the netapp. I assume they are thick provisioned and full of zeroes since we only have ~2gb of swap memory usage on the cluster, so the dedupe pass should collapse them down to nothing and add no real overhead to the snapmirror jobs. But I could put them in a dedicated vswap datastore that we don't bother snapmirror or deduping. Not really sure if there is an advantage to changing how we're currently doing things or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
They aren't even written to until a VM needs to swap into them. I generally just leave them alongside the .vmx file to keep things simple unless I'm replicating that datastore with an array based replicator. If your workloads are critical you can actually get rid of the swap file by making the memory reservation equal the allocated RAM.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

cheese-cube posted:

Virtualized Environment Neglected Operations Manipulation

jfc blow it out your rear end crowdstrike

God dammit:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just be glad it isn't some forced acronym.
V.E.N.O.M.
Virtualization Escape in Native QEMU Onboard Microdisk

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

1000101 posted:

They aren't even written to until a VM needs to swap into them. I generally just leave them alongside the .vmx file to keep things simple unless I'm replicating that datastore with an array based replicator. If your workloads are critical you can actually get rid of the swap file by making the memory reservation equal the allocated RAM.

Yeah, as a general rule of thumb, you don't really need to mess with VM file locations unless you're doing some really specialized stuff (or your have really bad storage constraints.)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DevNull posted:

They did a hell of a job exploiting the exploit as a marketing campaign.

Exactly what good does marketing the exploit do...?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Brings attention to whatever company discovered the vulnerability, so people realize how awesome they are and hire them for further security work.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evol262 posted:

Brings attention to whatever company discovered the vulnerability, so people realize how awesome they are and hire them for further security work.

Exactly, it benefits them to blow this thing out of proportions. Don't get me wrong, this is a bag vulnerability, but they are clearly trying to capitalize on it. The same thing was actually true with things like heart bleed. OpenSSL has more critical bugs fairly often that don't get much attention at all. The reason it got so much press is because it had a cool logo and name.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Tab8715 posted:

It sounds like a really scary exploit what with the fancy name and all. This draws attention to their website where people might click to learn more about CrowdStrike and buy their products.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Heavens, not our QEMU servers with virtual floppy drives attached

Was originally my thought. But assuming Red Hat knows what they're talking about, it's worse than that.. "It needs to be noted that even if a guest does not explicitly have a virtual floppy disk configured and attached, this issue is exploitable. "

The naming and hyping of every single exploit is the most :jerkbag: thing ever. This is actually pretty bad, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

Was originally my thought. But assuming Red Hat knows what they're talking about, it's worse than that.. "It needs to be noted that even if a guest does not explicitly have a virtual floppy disk configured and attached, this issue is exploitable. "

The naming and hyping of every single exploit is the most :jerkbag: thing ever. This is actually pretty bad, though.
Oof, yeah, that's a lot worse. I knew SoftLayer got bitten and now I know why.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm just going to start referring to every vulnerability as YAFBO (Yet Another loving Buffer Overflow). I really hope Rust slowly takes over a lot of this, so we can at least discover a new kind of security problem.

Also, Windows needs to get its poo poo together so we can disable legacy controllers.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That's why you probably should be using stubdomains with Xen.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

omeg posted:

That's why you probably should be using stubdomains with Xen.

Notably, SELinux+svirt almost completely neuters this vulnerability, like so many other vulnerabilities, but everyone will disable it anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lmao

@kwestin posted:

Seems like every new heavy impact vulnerability has a "metal" sounding name...so I made a poster.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Should have used the actual Venom band logo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vulture Culture posted:

Nope

http://blog.softlayer.com/2015/update-venom-vulnerability

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This is priceless.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Who the gently caress name a vulnerability poodle? I can't think of a more pathetic, less intimidating name.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Looks like I am going to work with VMware or Nimble soon.

Fun fun fun!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Looks like I am going to work with VMware or Nimble soon.

Fun fun fun!

With or for?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

With or for?

for;

I mean losing 80 lbs and getting fit is cool and watching anime/cos-playing with coworkers is fun, but vendors have offered me some pretty heafty price tags at some pretty good poo poo. Just hope I can show up between 9-10:30

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

for;

I mean losing 80 lbs and getting fit is cool and watching anime/cos-playing with coworkers is fun, but vendors have offered me some pretty heafty price tags at some pretty good poo poo. Just hope I can show up between 9-10:30

What the hell are you talking about?

I assume you are looking at pre-sales "engineer" positions? Something tells me working on "your clock" isn't part of their business strategy.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Moey posted:

I assume you are looking at pre-sales "engineer" positions? Something tells me working on "your clock" isn't part of their business strategy.

God I hope he is. I have a lot of friends in VMware sales engineering. I can't wait to hear stories about him direct from them.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I'm salary+(extra) and am justified of showing up between 9-10ish, because I don't want to. Like I am one of one Storage/vmware engineers in my company, and backup SQL/network.... I just don't choose to show up till I do and no one has told me otherwise.

No I am talking about actual implementation engineer.

loving latest patches have some bugs in the software iscsi blades anyone else having iscis timeouts on M1's with 5.1 U3?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

for;

VMware is a good place, if you land in the right org. And only stay for two years. If you want a raise, just leave and come back.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

for;

How fat were you to lose 80 lbs in 6 months?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

How fat were you to lose 80 lbs in 6 months?

I was 260 Jan 1st 2014, then I started to cut back on booze and work out a gently caress load. Dipped to 180 but for some reason I work out and drink milk and now am 6@190 and stuff. Just work out Sun-Thurs 35lbs dumbells and 3 miles of cardio!

poo poo owns at 6 and 32 waist, being fat sucks dick: get girls, get smart, make money!

also anime owns IT is cool but anime is p cool as well

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I was 260 Jan 1st 2014, then I started to cut back on booze and work out a gently caress load. Dipped to 180 but for some reason I work out and drink milk and now am 6@190 and stuff.

poo poo owns at 6 and 32 waist, being fat sucks dick: get girls, get smart, make money!

also anime owns IT is cool but anime is p cool as well

How did you work out so much when you work 80 hour weeks?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

How did you work out so much when you work 80 hour weeks?

Caffeine but eh mostly since i changed jobs I work ~50-60ish tops

Run 1.5 miles to work and back ~3 miles @ 280 cals, cut soda and cut to 1600 cals a day, buy 3lbs hand weights. Turn on the TV to some VMware videos and lift some 25 or 35lbs dumbells while listening to some Vmware videos, and if I didn't have poo poo to listen to then just work out watching anime!

That and I loving loving hitting the treadmill at Planetfitness watching anime, gently caress yeah love me some anime

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I'm salary+(extra) and am justified of showing up between 9-10ish, because I don't want to. Like I am one of one Storage/vmware engineers in my company, and backup SQL/network.... I just don't choose to show up till I do and no one has told me otherwise.

Work hours are pretty flexible at many orgs, but VMware may have morning standups or something.

Also, you may get a lot less leeway when if you end up at a company where almost every VMware person and storage person are also good, with a lot more experience, and "VMware/storage" guys are dime a dozen (which they are already)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Work hours are pretty flexible at many orgs, but VMware may have morning standups or something.

Also, you may get a lot less leeway when if you end up at a company where almost every VMware person and storage person are also good, with a lot more experience, and "VMware/storage" guys are dime a dozen (which they are already)

If I have to show up on time I might stick where I am for another year till I can get a 30 minute buffer.

The way I was mentioned was "Look he is one of two people in the area we can get... we aren't letting him leave". But man UCS/Nexus/EMC is getting boring.... Anime/cosplay can only hold my out for so long....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress off.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

gently caress off.

K. The problems in this IT forum are really boring anyways.

This subforum is getting super boring aside from anime anyways.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If I have to show up on time I might stick where I am for another year till I can get a 30 minute buffer.

The way I was mentioned was "Look he is one of two people in the area we can get... we aren't letting him leave". But man UCS/Nexus/EMC is getting boring.... Anime/cosplay can only hold my out for so long....

You realize when you're an adult you have to show up to work on time?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

You realize when you're an adult you have to show up to work on time?

I realize I am an adult, I realize I can make my own rules.

Also why the gently caress am I responding AND WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH VMWARE????

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 15, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I realize I am an adult, I realize I can make my own rules.

Also why the gently caress am I responding AND WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH VMWARE????

Because you're swole as gently caress and make more money than us.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
not anime

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evol262 posted:

I guess this morning standup poo poo is agile or some other crap from what I hear. Half the company may like you for that, if they do, run... fast. The other half will laugh and ask if you are a certified scrum-bag. Those numbers may be more like 90-10 depending on how many lovely startups we have bought this week.

You won't have to show up on time. Even if you do, you won't. VMware doesn't fire people unless you burn the building down or kill someone. They will just be passive aggressive and not give you a raise for 3 years. Although if you are a rock star, you will only get a 3% raise each year. So really not that different.

If you really want an honest opinion where I don't hold back about life at VMware, PM me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DevNull posted:

You won't have to show up on time. Even if you do, you won't. VMware doesn't fire people unless you burn the building down or kill someone. They will just be passive aggressive and not give you a raise for 3 years. Although if you are a rock star, you will only get a 3% raise each year. So really not that different.

If you really want an honest opinion where I don't hold back about life at VMware, PM me.

Based on my personal experience working for a vendor, and talking with others who have worked for vendors, you have to be grossly incompetent to get fired, generally, and even that takes a while. But if you have a terrible personality they will find a way to run you off pretty quickly.

That said, if you're in a customer facing position being on time basically the cardinal requirement, actual competence coming in a distant second. If you're schedule to meet the customer at 9 and you show up in 1030 you won't last long. Customers often don't know enough to know if their engineer is bad, and worth complaining about, but they can at least read a clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

I might, the guy who put me in contact worked at vmware long enough to help make the VCDX program(and is helping me out a lot as well is #128). He was kind of impressed with my knowledge and I presented at a VMUG with him.

I'll hit you up if I need to.

E: actually Japan is really hiring hard for "cloud" people IDK what that means but drat I will take free housing n poo poo

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 15, 2015