Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Istari posted:

Noé is a relatively common boys' name in Spain and Portugal. It's also a common girls' nickname in France, for the name Noémie. Not sure about Spanish or Portuguese, but in French it's pronounced a bit like No-A.

Ah yes, this makes much more sense. Although it was marketed as a girls name. Better than I thought!

Some more from the baby blog--this article listed a number of unusual names bestowed on some truly unfortunate children in 2016.

Boys:
Blex, Brexton, Cache, Choco, Crypton, Czar, Draven, Gizmo, Jexsin, Jeyphen, Joearth, Klinch, Link, Neon, Man, Number, Rook, Rune

Girls:
Journey, Miss, Ozzlynn, Panda, Proverbs, Psegs, Quinlynn, Rocket, Rocklyn, Rogue, Royal, September, Shine, Sirenitee, Soda, Stormee, Turqo, Winslow, Woodlynn, Yale, Zen

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mr. Belpit posted:

I've seen a lot of weird misuses of the term "cognitive dissonance" in my time, but this might be the first time that I can't suss out what's meant by it.

just pop out the cognitive, antivehicular just got excited with the adjectives

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Chesley

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

genetic_knockout posted:

Some more from the baby blog--this article listed a number of unusual names bestowed on some truly unfortunate children in 2016.

Boys:
Blex, Brexton, Cache, Choco, Crypton, Czar, Draven, Gizmo, Jexsin, Jeyphen, Joearth, Klinch, Link, Neon, Man, Number, Rook, Rune

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Blex is worse.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

naming your kid "man" like naming your pet "dog"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blex is a Wayne Gretzky special. I can only assume that's Shtoney's kid.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Sneepa.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Alvin Morningstar.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Naming your daughter "Miss" feels like it would be cursing her never to be married.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Blex is worse.

The South African rulers certainly thought so for a long period.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

The South African rulers certainly thought so for a long period.

:vince:

Psegs has to be from some other language, there's no way it's pronounced the way it looks.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The guy that changed my oil a couple weeks ago was named "Mister".

As for the toddler named August Harold, they'll probably call him Auggie or Harry or something.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

As for the toddler named August Harold, they'll probably call him Auggie or Harry or something.

Gus seems like a good option as well.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

m2pt5 posted:

Gus seems like a good option as well.

Yeah, I knew an August who went by Gus.

From the strange news headlines thread, Ivanka Trump's ex Bingo Gubelmann has been busted for coke.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

genetic_knockout posted:

Girls:
Journey, Miss, Ozzlynn, Panda, Proverbs, Psegs, Quinlynn, Rocket, Rocklyn, Rogue, Royal, September, Shine, Sirenitee, Soda, Stormee, Turqo, Winslow, Woodlynn, Yale, Zen

I'm calling Journey as one of the hot new girls' names in 2017. I already know at least one couple planning to name their daughter that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Istari posted:

Noé is a relatively common boys' name in Spain and Portugal. It's also a common girls' nickname in France, for the name Noémie. Not sure about Spanish or Portuguese, but in French it's pronounced a bit like No-A.

I knew a Noélia once when I was living in Spain and she let guys gently caress her in the rear end because she was saving her virginity for marriage.

That has nothing to do with anything.

e: No-EH-lia. So I assume it's the same for men.

My husband once dated a girl called Dixie Kump. She is now married, making her Dixie Yelvington. I wish she'd met a lad called Normous, but oh well.

Male Tears posted:

I'm calling Journey as one of the hot new girls' names in 2017. I already know at least one couple planning to name their daughter that.

Is she

a small-town girl

living in a lonely world?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Male Tears posted:

Noooooooooo

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

genetic_knockout posted:

Boys:

Girls:

The UK government do something like this every year (though Scotland's list is handled seperately) and I swear the only thing that stops the laughter towards the bottom of the list is seeing asterisked names (which means that at least one child with that name died before their first birthday)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I knew a Noélia once when I was living in Spain and she let guys gently caress her in the rear end because she was saving her virginity for marriage.

That has nothing to do with anything.

e: No-EH-lia. So I assume it's the same for men.

Yep, pretty sure you're right; as far as I know, an E in Spanish is always an eh sound. The accent just makes it no-EH rather than NO-eh.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Jan 3, 2017

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crystal Kuntz

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Harry Koontz

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

:3: :3:

This makes me happy!

e: I miss those Telus ads with the animals floating around tied to balloons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That guy's boss keeps having to tell him he's not allowed to answer his work phone with "I am Groot."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Last name Goodykoontz

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
First name of Gardiner. Google tells me it's an old French surname.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
A lawyer on an episode of American Justice with the last name Nicewander

He looked pretty pleasant so it was a :shobon: name

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just realized that one of my students' real name is Wang Cheng, which is pronounced like Wang Chung. https://youtu.be/BoXu6QmxpJE

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

At Canadian Tire "Toootis" :stonk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I just realized that one of my students' real name is Wang Cheng, which is pronounced like Wang Chung. https://youtu.be/BoXu6QmxpJE

I think you meant to post this :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-xpJRwIA-Q

EDIT: For content, the lead singer's original name is Jeremy Ryder, but:

"Ryder's stage name, "Jack Hues", is a play on the French phrase, j'accuse, which means "I accuse" in English"

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Ryder's stage name, "Jack Hues", is a play on the French phrase, j'accuse, which means "I accuse" in English"

oh my god

I want there to be sweaters and violins everywhere I go now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It looks like a Hale & Pace parody music video of itself.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

My cousin is a middle school principal. She told me there's a kid in her school named Alucard. He has brothers named Remington and Cannabis.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I met a guy in a gun store who named his son Maximus

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I met a lady the other day named Alanna, but it's pronounced Elena.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There was a girl in my school named Mercedes Benza. At least after her parents got divorced she started using her Mom's maiden name.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Thnergo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Follow me to a place I know where there's only pain and much sorrow, where your skin will burn to a crispy brown; I'm talking 'bout T̆͗ͯ̉̅ͥ̓̎ͫͯͬ͏̱̼͓̭̹͉͕̤̲͈͈̯͉̘͉͘̕͟H̴͓̣̭̼͖̤͓̟̭͈̙̙͎̤̹͐̽̎̅͗̍͑̋͆͂̾͒ͥ̿̍͐͋ͥ̚̕ͅN̹͙͈͍̔̾ͧ͛ͪ̀̿ͬ̏̒ͫ̋́̒͛͢͝Ę̸̡̹͕̭͔͕̖̲̟͔̯̳̞͆͐͆̓ͣͪͥ͗ͨ̒̇́ͦͫ̎̕R̵̢̧͍̼̜̘͇̖͙̰̭̗͖̩̱͍̘̳̝͉͒̈ͭ͂ͤͫ͛̿ͤ̊͆̔́ͦ̕͞G̸̼̟͔̼̗̭͖̖̲̀ͯͦͣ́ͯͣ̈́͑͆̈́ͨ̃ͮ̕͘͟Ỏ̓̓̏͒̈́ͣͩ̊̾͊͐҉̡̡̛͈̖̗̗͜T̹̹͔̬͈̟̮̪̤̲̠͉̆ͪͮ̇͂ͦͭ̀̓͛ͩ̾̔̀̌͢ͅǪ̹̲̪̰̼͎͇̯̦̫͔̰͙̬̤̤̩̳̀ͨ̋ͫͯ̊̍͋́̀͢͠W̥̬̜̬͉̦̬͚̭͙͓̼̳̲̬͊̃̓͗ͮ̉́͡N̪̩̭̖̣̱̙̳͇̜͇͈͉͈̠͔͆͗̒̐͘͝ͅ