Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't have any idea what to adjust but I will defend the bread nerd being a bread nerd in the bread thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I am also an insane person trying to bake two batches of dinner rolls, a batard and a Pullman for the two gatherings I have to go to this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving.

I have chosen chaos

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dacap posted:

I have chosen chaos

:hai:

I’m just saying that I’ve paid near enough :10bux: for craft bakery loaves that don’t look that good. You’re doing good bread things, Goon.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

MrYenko posted:

:hai:

I’m just saying that I’ve paid near enough :10bux: for craft bakery loaves that don’t look that good. You’re doing good bread things, Goon.

Appreciate it! It’s been a long journey opicking this up as a pandemic hobby. The first loaves I was making a year and a half ago were like this:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Appreciate it! It’s been a long journey opicking this up as a pandemic hobby. The first loaves I was making a year and a half ago were like this:

That’s an incredible progression.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Big things that helped were moving to a new apartment with a better oven, switching to a rye starter, and following lots of advice from YouTube videos from The Bread Code, FoodGeek, and Full Proof Baking.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

I am also an insane person trying to bake two batches of dinner rolls, a batard and a Pullman for the two gatherings I have to go to this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving.

I have chosen chaos

First batch of chaos baking, dinner rolls and a 50% whole Wheat Pullman.

Rolls definitely under proofed and don’t rise much, so they were pretty dense. Pretty sure the cause was killing some of the yeast with heat and I know what to change with the next batch.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 9, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As a commercial baker, that whole wheat is on point.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

As a commercial baker, that whole wheat is on point.

USA Pans are basically magic

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hi bread thread, I kept seeing videos of ppl making pidesi on Instagram, so I had to try it myself.

It was incredibly satisfying shaping this.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hi bread thread, I kept seeing videos of ppl making pidesi on Instagram, so I had to try it myself.

I don’t know what this is but I am very interested. Tell me more! Looks delicious

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Casu Marzu posted:

This looks extremely good!!!

Reminds me of Challah, just, sans yeast.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Casu Marzu posted:

Beautiful bread. Absolutely would.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I am totally down for pretzelpizza.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrYenko posted:

I am totally down for pretzelpizza.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Remade the sour cream and chive dinner rolls and they came out much better

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

so is there anything i can do with an enriched yeasted dough that completely failed to rise at all? i'd feel awful about throwing it out because i hosed up somewhere

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think you could get another packet of yeast from the store and knead it in. Give it another shot at rising if you are committed to keeping the rest of the work

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe try getting your oven up to about 100F and then turn it off and let the dough sit for an hour and see if it starts to rise. Maybe your yeast is just mostly dead?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dacap posted:

I don’t know what this is but I am very interested. Tell me more! Looks delicious

I kept seeing videos like this one on Instagram and absolutely needed to figure out what it was cuz it looks super satisfying.

It's apparently a type of Turkish bread that is traditionally eaten during Ramadan. The recipe I tried was pretty much a lower hydration focaccia dough. I think next time I try to make it, I'm gonna up the hydration. I think this bread would benefit from a lot more open crumb.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Remade the sour cream and chive dinner rolls and they came out much better

Those look amazing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

- 300g ap flour
- 150g corn meal
- 250g water
- 10g sugar
- 7g kosher salt
- 1.25 tsp yeast
- 0.5 tbsp granulated onion powder
- 0.5g tbsp granulated garlic powder
- 2 tbsp butter

- 90 minute proof
- punch down, shaping, plus 40 minute rise
- 40 minutes at 400

Is good.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i tried kneading in some instant yeast and putting it in the proving drawer for an hour and got nothing. uggggh this sucks, i'm never gonna figure out pumpkin spice babka at this rate

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you need to add yeast to an already mixed dough it works better to add some water to it to get it to dissolve. Otherwise you end up with little flecks of years throughout the dough that won't do anything. Not that i've ever had to do it on large batches of dough or anything:ninja:

Maybe too late for your dough now but keep it in mind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Not that i've ever had to do it on large batches of dough or anything:ninja:

You haven't lived until you've mixed 80 kilos at work and almost finished panning rolls and buns before realizing there's no yeast in the mix.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Dacap posted:

I be been noticing that the scores part of my bread next to the ear has been tearing more than normal recently. Any idea what could be causing this?

Oh my god, how are you getting such an amazing ear? I must know what your secret is :gonk:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Another use for discard! King Arthur's Sourdough Discard Banana Bread

Made a loaf with some toasted walnuts and mini chocolate chips that needed using up, too.

This recipe is nice in that it actually has spices - I think I'll add a touch of ginger next time though. I halved the sugar and honey and it was plenty sweet enough.

I definitely left that full stick of butter in, though. :btroll:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

effika posted:

Another use for discard! King Arthur's Sourdough Discard Banana Bread

Made a loaf with some toasted walnuts and mini chocolate chips that needed using up, too.

This recipe is nice in that it actually has spices - I think I'll add a touch of ginger next time though. I halved the sugar and honey and it was plenty sweet enough.

I definitely left that full stick of butter in, though. :btroll:

We have found that a lot of US baking recipes (usually for things like cakes, cookies etc) are WAY too sweet, and we can often halve the sugar and it’s plenty sweet enough. This is coming from someone who has two spoons of sugar in his tea, so I have a sweet tooth.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I like a lot of King Arthur's recipes but I don't think there's a single one where I don't cut the sugar in half.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Welp, sometimes I can hit the right hydration levels (and bulk ferment times [*and* final proofing]) for my Pain de Campagne in order to get something resembling oven spring:

If you squint, you can see a microscopic ear curling up:

This was dropping the hydration levels to 71-72ish percent. As written, the recipe calls for 76.5%, but I can absolutely see a massive difference between full hydration and my cut-back version. There's a point in the stand mixing bowl where the dough goes from tacky and moist but workable to a liquidy, gooey mass. It always ends up spreading out like a frisbee on the peel, as soon as I ease it out of the confines of the banneton; it never rises in the oven, no matter how much I spritz it or cover it. The crumb is moist and incredibly flavorful, but I'm not out here to make flatbreads, man.

Now that I actually have a loaf that I'm happy with, I'm going to try a full hydration attempt, tomorrow. My plan is to turn-and-fold the everliving *gently caress* out of it, in the hopes that the dough will develop some strength and keep its form. Another thing I'm considering is to do a final shaping *on the peel* and then cover it with the banneton for it to do it's final rise. Man, I dunno, but now that I feel I've got a decent shot at a good loaf at 71ish percent, I'd like to try see if I can start getting closer to bread like dacap's
:smith:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

null_pointer posted:

Welp, sometimes I can hit the right hydration levels (and bulk ferment times [*and* final proofing]) for my Pain de Campagne in order to get something resembling oven spring:

If you squint, you can see a microscopic ear curling up:

This was dropping the hydration levels to 71-72ish percent. As written, the recipe calls for 76.5%, but I can absolutely see a massive difference between full hydration and my cut-back version. There's a point in the stand mixing bowl where the dough goes from tacky and moist but workable to a liquidy, gooey mass. It always ends up spreading out like a frisbee on the peel, as soon as I ease it out of the confines of the banneton; it never rises in the oven, no matter how much I spritz it or cover it. The crumb is moist and incredibly flavorful, but I'm not out here to make flatbreads, man.

Now that I actually have a loaf that I'm happy with, I'm going to try a full hydration attempt, tomorrow. My plan is to turn-and-fold the everliving *gently caress* out of it, in the hopes that the dough will develop some strength and keep its form. Another thing I'm considering is to do a final shaping *on the peel* and then cover it with the banneton for it to do it's final rise. Man, I dunno, but now that I feel I've got a decent shot at a good loaf at 71ish percent, I'd like to try see if I can start getting closer to bread like dacap's
:smith:

In most cases I'm doing about 70% hydration if it's an all white loaf, and about 74 if it's got some whole grain. I haven't found much gain from additional water myself, other than spritzing the dough before baking.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, now tell me about your baking setup, please. Temperature (s), stone / steel, dutch oven, etc. Pretty please?

In other news I chickened out and only went to 73% hydration, today. I let the bulk ferment go a bit too long, but did my final shaping and rest on the parchment I slid onto the stone. Definitely a bit rounder and taller than yesterday's, but no ear at all. Have yet to cut into it.

Probably gonna pause on the experiments, as my wife and daughter want me to make a pain de mie. Iced tried both the bread illustrated one a well as the king Arthur flour one. The king Arthur recipe was actually better in a loaf pan, as in a Pullman pan it was a bit too flimsy, for some reason.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

null_pointer posted:

Okay, now tell me about your baking setup, please. Temperature (s), stone / steel, dutch oven, etc. Pretty please?

In other news I chickened out and only went to 73% hydration, today. I let the bulk ferment go a bit too long, but did my final shaping and rest on the parchment I slid onto the stone. Definitely a bit rounder and taller than yesterday's, but no ear at all. Have yet to cut into it.

Probably gonna pause on the experiments, as my wife and daughter want me to make a pain de mie. Iced tried both the bread illustrated one a well as the king Arthur flour one. The king Arthur recipe was actually better in a loaf pan, as in a Pullman pan it was a bit too flimsy, for some reason.

I use a Lodge enamelled Dutch Oven. I'll preheat it in the oven for about 45 mins at 500, usually bake lid on for about 30 mins then drop to 450 with the lid off for another 15-20.

I don't use a stone or steel, but I'll put a sheet pan on the rack underneath to prevent the bottom from scorching.

Before I drop the parchment with the dough into the Dutch oven, I put in an ice cube and spritz or brush the dough with water.

Also if you’re looking for a Pullman loaf recipe, I highly recommend this one:

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe/

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Cool, thank you. I have a decent dutch oven, so I think I'll try to use that, next time.

Thank you for the recipe, as well, but I'm trying to avoid sourdough for now, as I already have two kids.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Denver now and want some tips before I start baking again. Any higher-altitude bread tips? I was at sea level before.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

redreader posted:

I'm in Denver now and want some tips before I start baking again. Any higher-altitude bread tips? I was at sea level before.

First thing, do you have the special pants?

You'll need the special high altitude pants.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't even know what they are!!!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

redreader posted:

More or less just google stuff up like this. I lived up in CO at 9000’ for a while. In my experience it’ll never be the same but you can still manage with some corrections. But just don’t take tips like that to be gospel, definitely start there but experiment a bit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

First thing, do you have the special pants?

You'll need the special high altitude pants.

Oh yeah. The high-altitude pants are essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I made a matcha/black sesame milk bread. Doesn't look the best but it smells/tastes amazing