Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

2 hours from the end of thread_title.pnr and IFE just died and everyone's personal lights and attendant call buttons are blinking erratically. It would probably be rude to snap a picture of the clearly freaked out dude right?

You sure that isn't the Ambien kicking in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Arzakon posted:

2 hours from the end of thread_title.pnr and IFE just died and everyone's personal lights and attendant call buttons are blinking erratically. It would probably be rude to snap a picture of the clearly freaked out dude right?

the plane is gonna crash!!! may day may day!!!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a 10 hour flight to Germany direct. Vacay.

Is it a baaaaaad idea to eat a weed brownie....

Also does anyone have any experience with Tallahassee airport? I have a client in bumfuck nowhere between jax and tally. 1.5 hrs from tally, 2 from jax trying to decide which is better

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So in response to the United kerfuffle, Delta has upped the maximum amount of compensation their employees are authorized to give to bumped customers to $9,950. :aaaaa:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Noctone posted:

So in response to the United kerfuffle, Delta has upped the maximum amount of compensation their employees are authorized to give to bumped customers to $9,950. :aaaaa:

Solid PR move since it's unlikely to ever go much beyond $2k.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In typical circumstances that is true, but I can see everyone refusing $2k if there are several days of flight cancelling weather in the forecast, or if there is a major event at the destination city.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Konstantin posted:

In typical circumstances that is true, but I can see everyone refusing $2k if there are several days of flight cancelling weather in the forecast, or if there is a major event at the destination city.

Even if it's a flight to the Super Bowl city the morning of the game or something some percentage of the people on the flight are just going home, or to a business meeting, or whatever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Saw this today

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/04/13/sec-filing-shows-aadvantage-devaluation-hurting-american-airlines-profits/

Airlines are getting to the point where they have begun killing the golden goose with their attempts to make miles worth a smaller and more quantifiable amount.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
United's response to this has been super slow and lackluster. There are several changes that could be implemented immediately which would go a long way to addressing the situation and it's not enough in today's media to say that you will study it and release a report at the end of April. You open yourself up to being dunked on by other airlines. Any American airline could offer a United status match and raise their VDB and IDB compensation and make United look terrible in comparison.

Edit: Also, the response from United so far has done nothing to address the chance of getting pulled off the plane by police. They say that they won't call police for IDB situations but in practice, people will get pulled off for "not following instructions" instead of IDB. They've made no changes that ensure that people in their seats won't get IDB when they've already sat down.

Lote fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 15, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lote posted:

United's response to this has been super slow and lackluster. There are several changes that could be implemented immediately which would go a long way to addressing the situation and it's not enough in today's media to say that you will study it and release a report at the end of April. You open yourself up to being dunked on by other airlines. Any American airline could offer a United status match and raise their VDB and IDB compensation and make United look terrible in comparison.

BORN TO FLY
UNITED IS A gently caress
Deplane Em All 2017
I am doctor
410,757,864,530 DEAD CABIN CREW

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

BORN TO FLY
Deplane Em All 2017
I am doctor

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Midjack posted:

BORN TO FLY
Deplane Em All 2017
I am doctor

I feel like quoting this will revoke my global entry and tsa precheck but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

creationist believer posted:

I feel like quoting this will revoke my global entry and tsa precheck but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TAKBIR!!!!

Revoke my APEC card and gently caress US immigration and foreign policy and carriers!!!!!!!!!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

When I start my own airline
All guns and explosives will be allowed
The liquor cabinet flows
Sex will be freely had
Leggings will be worn
or not

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

When I start my own airline
All guns and explosives will be allowed
The liquor cabinet flows
Sex will be freely had
Leggings will be worn
or not

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/750161972256137216

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Soul Plane was a documentary in the future

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Okay I didn't die but I'm probably not going to do a trip like that again but...

lol mqms

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Okay I didn't die but I'm probably not going to do a trip like that again but...

lol mqms

Congratulations!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Arzakon posted:

lol mqms

8 months left for diamond!!!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

This time a year ago I was flying business class once a month on Qatar Airways and racking up miles.

Now every two weeks I make trips to Midland in Southwest Boarding Group B.

:sigh:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

This time a year ago I was flying business class once a month on Qatar Airways and racking up miles.

why didn't you status match into Southwest's program?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Arzakon posted:

lol mqms

Awesome to watch this. Platinum and the thread title, goongratulations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
It wont be quite as impressive as yours, but I'll hit my first spending threshold on my Delta Amex card this billing period, and those bonus MQMs should hit at right about the same time as my trip to Bangalore and back. If Delta's MQM calculator is correct, I should only be a few thousand from Platinum again which means I have the rest of the year to push and get Diamond back.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ch3cooh posted:

I've spent more time in Midland than anyone should and the only things I can really recommend are Grub Burger Bar and Midland RockHounds games. Stay at one of the hotels within walking distance and go to a Thirsty Thursday game. People (and truck) watching there is AMAZING.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
There's a really awesome pay-by-the-pound BBQ place somewhere on the SE side of Midland, iirc. But otherwise yeah total shithole of a city.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Arzakon posted:

lol mqms

You say that now, but next year you're going to need that fix again and the next thing you know you'll be refreshing flyertalk every thirty minutes.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Christ. Delta's Basic Economy fares are everywhere now. LAX-DEN, SFO-LAX, SEA-LAX, SEA-SFO, JFK-MIA, JFK-ORD. Did they just expand it to the entire US market on every route? Even fares from Canada are now all E.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

Christ. Delta's Basic Economy fares are everywhere now. LAX-DEN, SFO-LAX, SEA-LAX, SEA-SFO, JFK-MIA, JFK-ORD. Did they just expand it to the entire US market on every route? Even fares from Canada are now all E.

AA started rolling out their basic economy seats so I'm assuming that Delta is responding by expanding their basic economy routes. People want the cheapest ticket possible while booking through Orbitz / Expedia / whatever so I'm sure they are selling like hotcakes.

Also it probably wasn't hard to expand it to every route, it's just the booking code on the ticket that's changed. It's not like they are changing cabin configurations to support it.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 17, 2017

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Took a bump this morning when I didn't have to actually go in to work this afternoon anyway, so made some money to hang out at the airport instead of a hotel. Then just got an elusive on board upgrade when somebody didn't show up and the GA actually remembered to come pull me up.

Solid day so far. I assume my luggage will be missing when I land.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i fly airplanes posted:

Prediction: a not insignificant portion of the infrequent flyers I see on Twitter/Facebook loudly proclaiming "I'll never fly United again!" after last week's incident are going to post the same thing about AA/DL the next time they fly because they're going to select a Basic Economy fare and hate it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Prediction: a not insignificant portion of the infrequent flyers I see on Twitter/Facebook loudly proclaiming "I'll never fly United again!" after last week's incident are going to post the same thing about AA/DL the next time they fly because they're going to select a Basic Economy fare and hate it.

I am fine with these people never flying again. Totally okay with it.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

To be fair, not all Basic Economy is equal.

Choosing BE on delta comes with this warning:

quote:

BASIC ECONOMY COMES WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS:
No seat assignment is available until after check-in
Refunds and any ticket changes, including same-day changes, are not permitted
No paid or complimentary access or upgrades to premium seats or products, including Delta Comfort+™ or Preferred Seats, and no paid access to Priority Boarding
Terms apply to all customers including but not limited to Medallion® members and SkyTeam® elites

Which for 99% of infrequent fliers, is perfectly fine. You can still bring your carry-on, and you still have to pay for a checked bag.

AA and UA, on the other hand...

Misery comes at a price, otherwise Spirit and Allegient Airlines would not be consistently one of the most profitable airlines in the US.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

As soon as it's 1 dollar cheaper they'll book united again.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

As soon as it's 1 dollar cheaper they'll book united again.
What's hilarious is that Expedia and all the other travel agencies will undercut the airline operator by $1, people book through them over $1, and then earn a commission from the airline for like $5-10. You see this in effect very often when clicking through meta-search engines like Google Flights, Kayak, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i fly airplanes posted:

it's clearly marked and you don't have to buy it so i'm in favor

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's clearly marked and you don't have to buy it so i'm in favor

And our Concur setup blocks those are classes, so if it keeps other people from flying, even better.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm kind of confused. I have gold status on AA. I have a flight tomorrow where the boarding pass says I'm in:

Group 4
Priority/Gold

Never seen that before and it seems kind of hosed. I wouldn't worry about it but this is one of the few times I want to carry-on a roller and I'm not keen on doing so in group 4 and getting hassled.

I imagine I can board with gold just fine but has anyone seen this before?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
AA changed their boarding process last month, there are like 9 or 10 groups now, you should be good.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah cool. Shows you how frequent a flyer I am... (It's been a slow year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Ah cool. Shows you how frequent a flyer I am... (It's been a slow year)

Yeah, you'll be good, don't worry about it.

I got 2 early flights home tonight. I'm only platinum on AA, but I got the top spot on the standby list walking in at the last minute. Status is a good thing and I may just squeeze into exec plat on AA this year by going over 120 EQSs.

Also, had my first 'go around' last night on approach into CLT. I read about it after and it's apparently no big deal, but I was scared for a second there when we pitched up and hit the throttle.