Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/02/business/taylor-swift-100000-life-changing-bonus-truck-crew/index.html

Taylor otoh is an unproblematic fave

quote:

On the eve of wrapping up the US leg of her wildly successful Eras Tour, Swift on Monday thanked a slew of crew members who have done serious heavy lifting on the road with her — among them, the tour’s truck drivers — with a hefty bonus.

Swift stunned the tour’s trucking staff by giving each trucker a check in the amount of $100,000, Michael Scherkenbach, founder and CEO of Denver, Colorado-based Shomotion trucking company, told CNN.

While Scherkenbach declined to disclose how many of his staff received the six-figure bonus, he said it was a total of nearly 50 members of the combined trucking crews.

[...]

In addition to his staff, Scherkenbach said other tour crew members, including those in catering, video, audio and lighting, also received bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Taylor's whole thing is being seen to be a good person and while I have a cynical view of that because of my world view I will not argue with that manifesting as giving fat stacks directly to the support crew.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it too obvious now to say I always thought there was something kinda off about Lizzo's whole vibe?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/lizzo/status/1687061460550316032?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Good news

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1687102339931574272?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

3 shows here and I'm not gonna be able to go to any of them because I'm not a trucker that just received a $100,000 check from her lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh goddamnit NOW that I don't live near New Orleans she comes there.

edit: Going through registration anyway. Lord this system can't even handle *fan registration*.

Took an hour to wait in line just for it to pop up. Only to be told "UH OH! Something's gone wrong!"

Refreshed page and now it seems like it's trying to do... something.... but I've been stuck on the three spinning circles waiting on a confirmation code.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m listening to the EP Tori Kelly put out last week (it’s great, missin u is still one of my favorite songs of the year and everything else on there fits with it) and oh man the lyrics to “alive if I die” hit different after her health scare

quote:

Feeling like I could die today
I'm leaving my body, fly away
It's alright if I die in your arms tonight
Need to be by you night and day
I'm dreaming about it wide awake
(Don't let go)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
If you've got Hulu, you can watch some of Lollapalooza streaming this weekend. Most of it is stuff that wouldn't fit this thread, but there is:

Carly Rae Jepsen - tonight 8pm ET
Billie Eilish - tonight 9:45pm ET
Rina Sawayama - Sunday 11pm ET

most of the big sets aren't streaming (no Kendrick, no Lana, no RHCP) so it's probably not worth spending money on it, but if you have Hulu already, might be some fun stuff to watch: https://www.hulu.com/lollapalooza

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

If you've got Hulu, you can watch some of Lollapalooza streaming this weekend. Most of it is stuff that wouldn't fit this thread, but there is:

Carly Rae Jepsen - tonight 8pm ET
Billie Eilish - tonight 9:45pm ET
Rina Sawayama - Sunday 11pm ET

most of the big sets aren't streaming (no Kendrick, no Lana, no RHCP) so it's probably not worth spending money on it, but if you have Hulu already, might be some fun stuff to watch: https://www.hulu.com/lollapalooza

NewJeans is on at 6:05 ET, they’re definitely in this thread’s purview since they’ve put out some perfect pop over the last year and just got their first #1 billboard album this week

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Is it too obvious now to say I always thought there was something kinda off about Lizzo's whole vibe?

Nah but it does mean you’re copying me!!!!!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m listening to the EP Tori Kelly put out last week (it’s great, missin u is still one of my favorite songs of the year and everything else on there fits with it) and oh man the lyrics to “alive if I die” hit different after her health scare

I was also struck by the similarity to "Only Daedalus" by US Girls, most likely a coincidence as they're both obviously going for a late '70s / early '80s vibe. I don't think it's an issue, they're very different overall, if anything it feels like they complement each other.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ooooooofff

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1687118222611697664?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:yikes:

Did she do her research at all before she chose him lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rageaholic posted:

:yikes:

Did she do her research at all before she chose him lol

I think the person facing sexual harassment allegations probably knew who she was hiring when she hired the guy who defends famous people facing sexual harassment/misconduct/etc allegations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the person facing sexual harassment allegations probably knew who she was hiring when she hired the guy who defends famous people facing sexual harassment/misconduct/etc allegations.
True. It sure as hell doesn't make her look innocent, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

None of those other dudes look innocent either but most of them avoided the worst punishment. If you’re accused of poo poo it’s better to look guilty and be found not guilty than to look innocent and be found guilty

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

I do not think she's innocent, but I understand why she would hire the Hollywood Fixer to make the problem go away.

Apparently he also represented Ricky Martin during All That a couple years ago, here's a Forbes article that talks about different folks he represented and touches on some of the cases.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryro...sh=481576d4cd1b

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Based on the evidence I don’t think she’s innocent in most of these allegations but to be fair on the lawyer choice he also represents people like Oprah, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Zooey Deschanel, Bruce Willis etc - he’s just a giant Hollywood lawyer in general.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arnold sexually harassed women all the time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Gaius Marius posted:

Arnold sexually harassed women all the time.

Oh? I didn't know that- I'm just keeping it general- lawyers in general are scummy and represent both decent and terrible people. But anyway, don't wanna derail.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The quality of the CRJ stream is a+++

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Turned it on just in time for Psychedelic Switch, v cool. i actually don’t like the live instrumentation as much as the recording

Confirms my decision to go to the “after” show, this crowd looks way too big and hot and also not hype enough about non-CMM songs

edit: probsbly best of both worlds for her, she gets to have one classic that will never die that everyone who was alive in 2012 will remember until their dying days but also sell out good sized venues for as long as she wants to keep performing full of people who know every word of her albums

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 4, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1687259401416237057?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Every time I see Billie Eilish in front of crowds of tens of thousands of completely captivated people looking like all the weird girls I knew in high school it makes me really happy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I listened to the new CRJ album and it's probably my favourite Robyn album.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And I thought I could be harsh on music, Jesus.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
More singers should make Robyn albums, she ruled

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Body Talk was probably the single most influential pop album of the previous decade. Robyn got there first.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dancing On My Own is legitimately one of my favorite songs of all time.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Junpei posted:

Dancing On My Own is legitimately one of my favorite songs of all time.

I prefer Tell Your Girlfriend and Hang With Me. Both are incredible.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

All these people are currently walking free

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/oliviarodrigo/status/1688581265023463424?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Yes more please

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sign me up

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1688503164255744000?s=20

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1688507663972171776?s=20

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I was at the Carly Rae Jepsen show last night until lightning forced the show to cancel. She posted to her Instagram story announcing a show at a tiny club for the first 150 people with tickets to the cancelled show. The line, unsurprisingly, was huge. She ended up doing three sets of six songs each to allow as many people as possible to see her perform.

The show cancelled by lightning was rescheduled for 3 pm today as a matinee performance. Long live the queen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Theory is we are getting 1989 TV release date tonight because

1. Date is 8/9
2. Final night of US tour

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

1. Date is 8/9

Screaming, crying over this perfect storm, she really made all the tables turn.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

1. Date is 8/9

I mean technically it’s no longer the end of the US tour since they’ve scheduled more but I’d be ok with this even though I’d be worried about it stepping over Cruel Summer and Speak Now TV

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress YES

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1689502292867960832?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

1. Date is 8/9

Taylor's website currently only links to the store, where there's an animated clip of seagulls flying in the sky.

The announcement is coming any minute now.

EDIT:
October 27th.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 10, 2023