Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Death also kills pop over time and there is no natural pop growth so taking Death scales means you will steadily lose income and if you end up stuck for awhile and unable to expand for some reason then you can end up with no goddamn gold.
Sure but if you're stuck it's time to declare war on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1 point in death scales is worth if it you're a luck 3 magic 3 build, the events unlocked by death 1 are amazing compared to those unlocked by growth, and the saved design points can be spent on other cool stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As someone who gets hosed over by bad luck with disturbing regularity, I tend to avoid luck-based builds like the plague. There's nothing against taking a solid order/growth build to buy a lot of mages, then do a lot of site-searching, then summon even more mages with the gems you have collected while doing all of this.

It's slower then relying on good luck, but you will still have a strong position if the luck stays away.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The Gentleman posted:

• A nation that plans agressive, constant expansion from day 1. Like Mictlan!

Isn't death a liability for that even? Less population hurts your capacity to blood hunt by quite a bit.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Apparently a lot of attack events and "province lost" events aren't tied to luck at all. Most of them trigger at Misfortune 2 though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Isn't death a liability for that even? Less population hurts your capacity to blood hunt by quite a bit.
Other people's land usually contained Growth. It's like the reverse of the problem that Chaos Power nations have.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mictlan can control its domspread a bit more effectively than other nations, too.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you're not taking Dom10/Order3/Productivity3/Growth3/Misfortune3/Magic3 you can get the gently caress out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is there a list of all the events and event chains somewhere?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Is there a list of all the events and event chains somewhere?
Yeah, here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IGmBe9vPavaW9lLUxReWpYdm8/edit

e: note I have not read it so it may be a pack of lies, but it's been kept updated since 3.99b so I guess there might be some truth to it?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Right click, save to-> 'dominionsDiplomacy.jpg'

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Greetings

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
Seriously though how do you fight ponyman raiders? Normal guys can't hit glamoured troops because whatever the formula for determining a hit actually is, glamour seems to be better than ethereal. Oh and magic weapons don't get special treatment either as far as I can tell. Evocations work but most people don't have a handful of mages handy in every backwater province.

how do I stopped elfs :downfrog:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Remote assassinations mostly: Seeking Arrow, Mind Hunt, Earth Attack, Skelespamming Assassins etc. Or poo poo-tons of crossbows.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

Seriously though how do you fight ponyman raiders? Normal guys can't hit glamoured troops because whatever the formula for determining a hit actually is, glamour seems to be better than ethereal.
Glamour's as good as a single mirror image in melee, the main problem is just their massive defence score.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Earth meld and similar spells that negates their dodgetank will really screw with their day, and unless they have an Air bless, so will archers, especially flaming arrows.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

immolationsex posted:

Seriously though how do you fight ponyman raiders? Normal guys can't hit glamoured troops because whatever the formula for determining a hit actually is, glamour seems to be better than ethereal. Oh and magic weapons don't get special treatment either as far as I can tell. Evocations work but most people don't have a handful of mages handy in every backwater province.

how do I stopped elfs :downfrog:

A single N1 casting vine arrow/tangle vines behind PD

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Apparently 820 gold worth of PD (40 PD) is also more than capable of killing over 2000 gold worth of elves.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Gentleman posted:

Never take death unless you are

[*]A nation that plans agressive, constant expansion from day 1. Like Mictlan! [/list]

"It's better to burn and out then go AI" - Neil Young

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

Apparently 820 gold worth of PD (40 PD) is also more than capable of killing over 2000 gold worth of elves.

Well, it obviously depends on the nation you are playing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Torrannor posted:

Well, it obviously depends on the nation you are playing.

I'll note in the game that's occurred in Neruz was turbohitler and abusing the thing where you simply can't interdict flying raiders for whatever reason, and murdered my capital down to less than a thousand pop using Implementor Axe flying raiders. :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Game needs AA battery.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 20, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

I'll note in the game that's occurred in Neruz was turbohitler and abusing the thing where you simply can't interdict flying raiders for whatever reason, and murdered my capital down to less than a thousand pop using Implementor Axe flying raiders. :shrug:
What a cool dude.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I can't find any Sceleria guides anywhere on the net (were they the equivalent of MA Ermor before?). I love the flavour of the nation but not really sure what to do with them apart from rush skeletons with Thaumaturg communions and hire a load of indie priests to reanimate in your forts.

Pretender design has me stumped. Are Shadow Vestals worth a bless? They seem really cool and good, I tried a W9 pretender and they did really well at expanding forever and being a mainstay in fights. But I can also see the argument for D9 (which like W9 also makes them more tanky and hit harder), which lets your god cast horrible lategame things like Burden of Time and Utterdark and so on. And I've also heard people recommending... S9?? I think I get how Twist Fate works and I guess the bonus MR is useful against banishment spam but I don't know if it's better than the other two.

I know Pretenders are supposed to fill a hole in your nation's magic diversity, so a thematically appropriate death god for a death nation isn't actually that good. But I'd be at a loss as to what to do with a W9 or S9 pretender for Sceleria. Could use some advice!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

I can't find any Sceleria guides anywhere on the net (were they the equivalent of MA Ermor before?).
They were!

EA Ermor is the same-but-different because of foreign recruitment changes.
MA Scelaria was MA Ermor in Dominions 3.
MA Ermor was LA Ermor.
LA Lemuria was some version of Ermor from Dominions 2, I think?

I wouldn't cast Burden of Time as Scelaria, your expensive and quite old mages will die off pretty quickly.

One alternative to W9 or S9 (both of which are good, since Shadow Vestals really are excellent) would be to get at least E4D4 on a pretender so you can cast just about everything in Earth or summon someone who can, plus get a few hammers together for 3-gem resurrection gear (because the difference between 1+ skeleton cav per turn on your H2 priests and 3+ is pretty significant, and is really the difference between it being worth doing at all or not).

The problem with "filling a hole" in Scelaria is that it's going to be pretty much just your god filling holes, with maybe a tiny contribution from your cap-only, ancient, StR mages who might get a point outside of S/D now and then. Your non-national gem income probably isn't going to be very usable for about 3 years, and there isn't all that much for Scelaria to go after early on in Conjuration relative to Alteration/Thaum/Enchantment/Evocation, so you're kind of missing out if you decide to go that way.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

There's that death ritual that your mages can cast that lets them come back as undead. Twiceborn I think? Is that worth casting if I'm relying a lot on undead and want to go into full gently caress-the-world mode? I don't know how Lichcraft works but is that similar too?

Magic items are one of those things I haven't internalised yet, I hadn't even thought of getting something to boost priest reanimation. Will give that a try! E4 is more of a mage bless isn't it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

There's that death ritual that your mages can cast that lets them come back as undead. Twiceborn I think? Is that worth casting if I'm relying a lot on undead and want to go into full gently caress-the-world mode? I don't know how Lichcraft works but is that similar too?
Twiceborn gives your mages another shot, but it's so heavy on death gems that you're only going to rely on it for special cases, especially when you have other things to spend them on.

Lichcraft is actually a summoning spell, it just has a counterintuitive description; it makes an immortal D4 mage.

quote:

Magic items are one of those things I haven't internalised yet, I hadn't even thought of getting something to boost priest reanimation. Will give that a try!
Yep, the Amulet of the Dead is really, really good for Sceleria. All of your mages can make them, they're only 5 gems, and they give you +2 of whatever you're resurrecting as a priest.

quote:

E4 is more of a mage bless isn't it?
Sure, but the E4 isn't so much for the bless as the access to pretty much everything with a pair of boots on.

For a mage bless, you can't really do better than N9 for Sceleria, since they rely so heavily on their communions, and it gives their slaves an effective +40 reinvigoration (although it's not quite that simple) as well as a ton more survivability once things like Rain of Stones start cropping up more often.

I guess a Titan of Death and Rebirth would be a decent PG chassis for the nation, thinking about it. Maybe something like a Dormant, Dom 8 ToDaR, E4D4N9 T1S3C3G3L3M0? If you were going to drop anything I guess it would be Luck, but I wouldn't go into Drain on the nation, just because your mages don't ever have any cost-efficient way to improve their research outside of Air Quills that 25% of your Grand Thaumaturgs can get.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Could you explain what your in-game strategy would be with that choice of scales and that pretender? All the basic troops except Vestals are resource-heavy, so going Sloth 3 makes it seem like you're relying exclusively on Vestals in the early game. But then you're blessing them with E4 D4 N9 which doesn't seem to do much at all for them. Is Cold3 just a dump scale or is there some synergy to it (Don't your human troops tire out more easily, which means your thaumaturgs are summoning less skeletons)? Sceleria seem like they want a lot of money for all those temples and indie priests. What are the research targets? I know the pretender E4 is for forging dwarven hammers but what else is there in Earth to tech toward?

I was actually looking at a Titan of Rivers because of the native water gem income she gets, which is useful for bootstrapping into water summons and water sitesearching and so on (but again, I wouldn't know what to actually do with it).

Sorry if I'm being dense, choice of strategy still doesn't come very easily to me with a new nation. I appreciate the help!

e: Aren't Skull Mentors what death nations are meant to use for research boosts? +18 RP sounds like a lot!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Could you explain what your in-game strategy would be with that choice of scales and that pretender?
Sure.

Get as many Vestals together as possible, with as little leadership as you can survive, because you do need to save money, and fort/temple/lab the first province you come across with either 7r crossbows or an interesting mage/priest to recruit (Onyx Amazons are particularly choice because they're H2 and can forge Amulets of the Dead themselves, but they're rarer than hens' teeth when you need them). If you don't find anything special by month 5, just fort any old province, because you don't rely on your resource income for your troop recruitment.

When it comes to expansion, you can pretty much form a tiny box at the back of the deployment zone with a Cultist or Thaumaturg and a turn's worth of Shadow Vestals, a couple of casts of Blessing (Undead Blessing is completely unnecessary and worse, don't cast it) and then whatever your mage fancies afterwards, and you'll do fine for expansion against 99% of provinces (Lamia Queens will cast Howl and wreck your mages, but then that kind of province is a nightmare for most factions).

You want to start forming communions of Thaumaturgs ASAP, to start bringing together all of your battlefield-wide Undead Protection/Power buffs and Divine Blessing, and then try to snatch up whatever indie and enemy sacreds you can get your hands on with Apostasy, as a kind of alternative but pretty unreliable source of magic and troop diversity. Whenever it's possible, get as much skeletal chaff as you can manage so you can keep things going, but don't forget about your Vestals. They're pretty much the lynchpin of the faction's early game.

Later on, you go for Enchantment for things like Antimagic against banish-heavy opponents, and in-battle skelespam, Alteration for a couple of neat early buffs like Skeletal Body and Personal Luck which mean archers that wing your Thaumaturg communions somehow probably won't kill any members in one blow, and Evocation for Nether Darts whenever you have some time free, because Nether Darts is kind of amazing and completely devastating against factions which have low numbers of elite troops and mages.

Longdead Horsemen are hopefully going to be most of your chaff later on, and they hit very hard on a first strike (which is all you're likely to care about anyway if they survive). That plus skelespam plus Nether Darts is probably going to see off most factions if you've had a good expansion phase, and if you haven't then you're hosed, but that's kind of true of all MA factions.

quote:

All the basic troops except Vestals are resource-heavy, so going Sloth 3 makes it seem like you're relying exclusively on Vestals in the early game. But then you're blessing them with E4 D4 N9 which doesn't seem to do much at all for them.
Vestals are very good even unblessed, giving them about 150% more health, much less chance of taking afflictions with Regen, and more sustainability in battle against things like massive missile fire or really heavy banish spam is not a bad thing. The bless is also for your mages more than your Vestals, it just happens to be useful for both.

quote:

Is Cold3 just a dump scale or is there some synergy to it (Don't your human troops tire out more easily, which means your thaumaturgs are summoning less skeletons)?
It's a bunch of things, it's a dump scale to some extent, it means you can make year one attacks across rivers while there might still be some indies or underprotected enemy provinces still knocking about, and many undead summons later on have an aura that benefits from cold scales.

It also punishes some of your more dangerous opponents like Marignon, Ctis, and Mictlan, who have pretty much the same priestly gimmick as you do but also rely on Fire magic for Marignon, or Heat scales to keep their cold-blooded mages happy for the others, both of which are worse in Cold.

quote:

Sceleria seem like they want a lot of money for all those temples and indie priests. What are the research targets? I know the pretender E4 is for forging dwarven hammers but what else is there in Earth to tech toward?
They do need a lot money, but Growth has much better long-term economic effects than Order in any case, and a lot of your mages are old or soon to become old, and any protection you have against that is a good thing.

I dunno, maybe you're right and you could go into Misfortune and swap it for Order, since they effectively have massive undead PD everywhere past a certain point, but Luck mostly prevents you from getting shafted by a series of successive bad events early on, which is important if your faction is as momentum-based as Sceleria.

quote:

I was actually looking at a Titan of Rivers because of the native water gem income she gets, which is useful for bootstrapping into water summons and water sitesearching and so on (but again, I wouldn't know what to actually do with it).
Is your plan to go underwater, I guess?

quote:

Sorry if I'm being dense, choice of strategy still doesn't come very easily to me with a new nation. I appreciate the help!
Don't worry about it, and I'm sure other people will give you some Sceleria Tips too, probably with more experience than I have.

quote:

e: Aren't Skull Mentors what death nations are meant to use for research boosts? +18 RP sounds like a lot!
Yeah but they cost a ton of gems, and you only get them at Constr-6, when your 'natural limit' is really Construction 4 for Amulets of the Dead, Eyes of the Void, Spell Foci, Shrouds, Frost Brands and Amulets of Antimagic, all of which you have a decent shot at being able to forge whenever you like so long as you have a few cap-only mages with W.

If you want an earlier research boost, you might as well use the gems you'd use on Skull Mentors to summon as many Revenants as possible, which also give you a useful transport platform for undead chaff, since they have MM3 and a ton of undead leadership.

Sceleria has some of the weakest and most expensive research of any faction, and it's really hard to fix because the paths with the best early items like Air and Blood are nearly impossible to break into significantly until really late on (and even then, it's dicey), so you kind of need to plan around that from the get-go.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks, that really helps. I'll start a new game and try it all out!

Unrelated:

Yeah you better run :smug:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One of the other things about Sceleria is that early on you want top-heavy communions, because your divine magic basically doesn't cost any fatigue, but after you get to Enchantment 5, your mages will become retarded at the end of battles and happily spam Horde of Skeletons to the point where your slaves die all the time, so watch out for that and add more slaves to compensate.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

If Hitler had put Elves in concentration camps instead of Jews nobody would have cared.

jBrereton posted:

LA Lemuria was some version of Ermor from Dominions 2, I think?

Dom2 apparently had a kind of global spell certain nations could cast that would significantly change things, Lemuria was a thing that LA Ermor could do which would change them from spawning skeletons to spawning spooky goasts. Asphodel was a thing that Pangea could do which gave them the manikin dom.

I think there were a couple of others too, though I dunno if they're in the game.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I thing Soul Gate and Carrion Woods were the only 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And they were in Dom3 but hardly anyone used them because they were super high research and expensive. Not sure how the Dom2 version worked.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

And they were in Dom3 but hardly anyone used them because they were super high research and expensive. Not sure how the Dom2 version worked.

The same. Carrion woods was actually usable with CBM in dom3 but outside of that neither it nor Soul Gates were usually a thing that you saw. Soul Gate doubly so because it was LA Ermor (dom4 MA Ermor) and most games banned them as is correct.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sorry, but I have evidence that proves otherwise:

Unless by "hitler retard betrayer" he means that Tir Na Nog is going to betray me, Retard Hitler :spooky:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sorry, but I have evidence that proves otherwise:

Unless by "hitler retard betrayer" he means that Tir Na Nog is going to betray me, Retard Hitler :spooky:

Like he says, one day I will invade your 5 militia provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fool_of_sound posted:

Like he says, one day I will invade your 5 militia provinces.

haha, jokes on you I only 10 militia provinces!!!

• Locked thread