Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

Just your friendly every day reminder that times turns are godlike and amazing and death clocks are for losers

Fun fact: They're making Deathclock the standard in SR2017! No word on if timed turns will still exist in the packet at all, since they're adding a semi-random turn length to the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

CaptCommy posted:

Fun fact: They're making Deathclock the standard in SR2017! No word on if timed turns will still exist in the packet at all, since they're adding a semi-random turn length to the games.

I still hope they realize that adding 'semi-random' turns is a terrible idea. Shortening deathclock is a better way to control the length of games, and the fact that 'semi-random turns rarely matter' is actually a good argument against the idea.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CaptCommy posted:

no wonder this game is turning into poo poo

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
William Hungerford, everybody. People said I was irrational for hating on the fucker after the Mk3 drop.

Now you see.

Now you see.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

the random thing i give considerably less of a poo poo about than the possibility of them dropping timed turns

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm really glad I'm a total scrub and play casually with friends so that turn length doesn't matter. Sometimes it is nice to have ridiculous games in which 30 pirates and 30 winterguard slowly grind each other down until only the warcasters and two trashed, barely functional warkjacks remain, and not have the game end somewhere in the middle because we took too many sprays, models, and blasts. Having said that, I'm sure deathclock is very sensible for event organizers to actually try and get things to run on time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Just your friendly every day reminder that timed turns are godlike and amazing and death clocks are for losers

Is this "say things that are dumb and wrong" day?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Captainicus posted:

I'm really glad I'm a total scrub and play casually with friends so that turn length doesn't matter. Sometimes it is nice to have ridiculous games in which 30 pirates and 30 winterguard slowly grind each other down until only the warcasters and two trashed, barely functional warkjacks remain, and not have the game end somewhere in the middle because we took too many sprays, models, and blasts. Having said that, I'm sure deathclock is very sensible for event organizers to actually try and get things to run on time.

It is. The worst thing they've done in the last few years was to go from a game that acknowledged that there were casual players *and* hardcore players with rules that fairly supported both to a laser-focused Journeyman-to-Iron-Gauntlet regime that "encourages" everyone to tourney-prep, else make up your own houserules, because we here at Privateer Fuckin' Press ain't got time for dat not-hardcore poo poo, son!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

koreban posted:

It is. The worst thing they've done in the last few years was to go from a game that acknowledged that there were casual players *and* hardcore players with rules that fairly supported both to a laser-focused Journeyman-to-Iron-Gauntlet regime that "encourages" everyone to tourney-prep, else make up your own houserules, because we here at Privateer Fuckin' Press ain't got time for dat not-hardcore poo poo, son!

Nobody says you have to use the Steamroller packet, fucko. Get whatever's up your rear end out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

What the gently caress? there are more casual events now than I've ever seen before. spell drafts, scrambles, and who's the boss all fuckin own

also they just remade grind and they're coming out with a huge-based WWE wrestling themed rules set, and they still put casual story scenario poo poo in their magazine and they still do leagues which are super god damned casual with neat prizes

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

S.J. posted:

Just your friendly every day reminder that timed turns are godlike and amazing and death clocks are for losers

Death clocks are much more fun to actually play, but clocking your opponent should not count as a win in a scored tournament.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Death clocks are much more fun to actually play, but clocking your opponent should not count as a win in a scored tournament.

disagree, clock pressure is cool and good, timed turns is just a better version of this

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

disagree, clock pressure is cool and good, timed turns is just a better version of this

You're literally the only player I've ever met that prefers timed turns to deathclock. Like, isn't it better if the clock doesn't end the game? Because deathclock is easier for a player to self manage than timed turn nonsense.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

You're literally the only player I've ever met that prefers timed turns to deathclock. Like, isn't it better if the clock doesn't end the game? Because deathclock is easier for a player to self manage than timed turn nonsense.

I enjoy risk and time management and the ability to put pressure on people to react quickly. I also like fighting games. I also think that timed turns and death clock are both good kinds of tournaments to have because they have the potential to promote different kinds of lists.

Also, the game isn't over if you clock yourself on timed turns, you just miss out on the rest of your activations. Plus you get an extension for important turns. It takes barely any practice to get your turns down to less than 10 or 15 minutes with a list in my experience.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Take a drink for rerolls or something. You gain benifits for drinking, which leads to bad calls and the need for those benifits in a death spiral

This, and cans/bottles/cups you empty during the game can be placed as obstructions on the board as long as they don't cover a model or piece of terrain.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

I enjoy risk and time management and the ability to put pressure on people to react quickly. I also like fighting games. I also think that timed turns and death clock are both good kinds of tournaments to have because they have the potential to promote different kinds of lists.

Also, the game isn't over if you clock yourself on timed turns, you just miss out on the rest of your activations. Plus you get an extension for important turns. It takes barely any practice to get your turns down to less than 10 or 15 minutes with a list in my experience.

Yeah, but it also prevents you from taking the best turns. The coolest poo poo I've ever done in WMH was a 30 minute Rahn turn bottom of 2 to set up and execute a perfect plan to isolate and kill a caster from behind a colossal and a house, with very precise measurements to make sure the opponent didn't feel cheated. In timed turns, I either have to rush through it and mark it all sloppier, or go for the boring attrition plays.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

koreban posted:

I uh...I wasn't aware that everyone had to follow SR2017 on penalty of death. Well then.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
They're not going to outlaw timed turns because of the expense of getting 50 chess clocks for events. Timed turns is always going to be an option.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I really like deathclock because I only have limited game time and I don't want to watch someone jerk off their models for 45 minutes a turn while waiting to move. I still clock myself in casual games and just concede or let the other player know if I time out. Only one or maybe two days a week to get games in and I want to lose as many as I can in that time.

S.J. posted:

they're coming out with a huge-based WWE wrestling themed rules set

GO ON

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, but it also prevents you from taking the best turns. The coolest poo poo I've ever done in WMH was a 30 minute Rahn turn bottom of 2 to set up and execute a perfect plan to isolate and kill a caster from behind a colossal and a house, with very precise measurements to make sure the opponent didn't feel cheated. In timed turns, I either have to rush through it and mark it all sloppier, or go for the boring attrition plays.

The inability to make perfect turns is entirely the point I just made. It's okay for the game to devolve into a chaotic mess of quick decisions and risk taking. It's one of the reasons why, despite the fact that I understand the change, I really also hate pre-measuring everything all the time - I really enjoyed that aspect of risk management and I wish it hadn't gone away.

I was being serious when I said I think both types of clock rules are good to have events for, though. They promote different styles of play. Frantically playing your turns trying not to gently caress up while throwing risks onto the table to see if your opponent can match them on the fly is a lot of fun.

lokipunk posted:

I really like deathclock because I only have limited game time and I don't want to watch someone jerk off their models for 45 minutes a turn while waiting to move. I still clock myself in casual games and just concede or let the other player know if I time out. Only one or maybe two days a week to get games in and I want to lose as many as I can in that time.

play timed turns in your casual games and they'll go faster :getin:

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 23, 2017

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

The inability to make perfect turns is entirely the point I just made. It's okay for the game to devolve into a chaotic mess of quick decisions and risk taking. It's one of the reasons why, despite the fact that I understand the change, I really also hate pre-measuring everything all the time - I really enjoyed that aspect of risk management and I wish it hadn't gone away.

The problem with wanting imperfect turns is that you'll get more imperfections in measurements than you will in tactical mistakes. I like that I can use a ton of widgets to accurately show distances AND get my opponent to agree to everything as I go along a crazy assassination run. In timed turns, I'm forced to play much faster which leads to more feel bads where my opponent feels like I cheated them on angles/distance.

As a fellow fan of fighting games, I enjoy similar experiences to you. Just not in a tabletop scenario; it's not nearly as good a fit.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

koreban posted:

Sounds like SOMEONE needs to play like they got a pair :page5:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. You can always allow people to pause the clock in order to precisely measure something, or to wait for a judge. It's not that big of a deal. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of pre-measuring because it even allows precise measuring during timed turns and it's overall healthy for the game, but imperfect turns doesn't translate to mis-measurement any more often than someone would have been already likely to make those mistakes in my experience. People who actually care are going to police themselves and people who want to push it will get judges called on them regardless. They weren't playing timed turns when that dude tried to inch deathjack forward on the sly... while on camera.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Extreme Colossal Wrestling. Comes out in NQ next month. Uses some kind of action point system for making special attacks, such as Macho Mammoth's Flying Errata Elbow Drop.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Timed turns is bad because Dice Down is bad.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Timed turns are good because classic hardcore is the best format. Fight me.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

stabbington posted:

Timed turns are good because classic hardcore is the best format. Fight me.

The first version of Hardcore was where I learned to play with timed turns. Everything else feels like forever.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

GoodBee posted:

The first version of Hardcore was where I learned to play with timed turns. Everything else feels like forever.

Hardcore right before MK2 was the first I ever saw of the game. Gencon 2009 I watched and talked to an Everblight player during the hardcore tournament, then immediately went and bought a Menoth starter from the pp booth

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Sounds like SOMEONE needs to play like they got a pair :page5:

They took page 5 out of the book

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

I want page 5 to read "This page intentionally left blank."

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 23, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rydiafan posted:

Nobody says you have to use the Steamroller packet, fucko. Get whatever's up your rear end out.

I dunno. I think he's wrong on basic point of "competitive or GTFO", but the new Journeyman stuff seems less good out of the box than it was in MKII. The weird buy-in points for stuff and the very bad scenarios out of the box leave a lot to be desired. The scoring on a per-week basis now makes a little more sense, but oddly enough painting got incredibly de-demphasized to the point that it makes almost no difference in the early weeks. It was probably worth too much before but it at least got people to paint their drat models early on, which was sort of a point of a Journeyman League.

I don't think these are things that happened because Hungerford is some sort of devil, but the decisions he made to change this stuff we bad ones. Luckily, they are also dirt easy ones to change. It would just be nice if the defaults didn't always lead newer press gangers or communities down the primrose path.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, the journeyman changes were pretty bleh. I think the changes to the awards were good, as I was sick of all three awards going to the same person who could dedicate the most time to the journeyman, but the rest was either a push or worse.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

rydiafan posted:

Timed turns is bad because Dice Down is bad.

Timed turns is like having 8 dice down in every game.

Jimmy Hats posted:

:thejoke:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Timed turns is like having 8 dice down in every game.

maybe you should

get better

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Timed turns sucks because I spend 2 minutes running on turn one and then don't get that time rolled over when it matters

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

first they came for page 5, and i said nothing
then they came for timed turns, and still i said nothing

they never came for me because everyone agreed "good riddance"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

mp5 posted:

Timed turns sucks because I spend 2 minutes running on turn one and then don't get that time rolled over when it matters

i think you will find that it is you who suck, sir :smug:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

i think you will find that it is you who suck, sir :smug:

You seem really upset about timed turns, the worst format.

The only people who like timed turns are circle players who only ever have like 10 models on the board and people who run double colossal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

You seem really upset about timed turns, the worst format.

The only people who like timed turns are circle players who only ever have like 10 models on the board and people who run double colossal.

Timed turns are fun and cool, not really sure why you'd think I'm actually upset. :(

Running a ton of infantry in timed turns is really fun btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

S.J. posted:

Timed turns are fun and cool, not really sure why you'd think I'm actually upset. :(

Running a ton of infantry in timed turns is really fun btw

Okay mostly you just seem really hostile about timed turns, which are bad and not good.

I mean I actually kinda like the idea of them but I also like no pre-measuring and playing Mohsar so I have to assume that timed turns are still bad. I tried them once or twice and it wasn't much fun.