Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s mute because the silent protagonist is cool for story telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NoMas posted:

where do you guys get all this lore anyway?

NPC dialogue & lore tablets mostly.

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s mute because the silent protagonist is cool for story telling.

That's obviously the out-of-universe explanation but it doesn't mean there isn't an in-universe one we can speculate about!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NoMas posted:

it's like 99% exhausting dialogue options with every NPC (and whacking them with the dream nail) and then another 1% dev statements and entomology

most of it isn't secret or exclusive in any real sense but there are one or two places where knowing a little bit about e.g. the life cycle of parasitic wasps makes you go "oh gently caress"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

NoMas posted:

Mossbag

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There are a few out of the way lore sources like handing over a lot of currency exchange items to Relic Seeker Lemm or killing Herrah after doing Hornet 2 but yeah mostly it's just talking to all the NPCs every chance you get, and making sure to talk to them multiple times until they repeat themselves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Is muteness a requirement for being a vessel (or former vessel), though?

no voice to cry suffering, so yes

the hollow knights and the other failed candidates are spawn of WL and PK that the king cast off into the abyss and rigged up so that voidstuff would infuse their stillborn husks, creating mute and mindless automatons that were attracted to and grasped their way towards his light high above. he grabbed the first one that actually made it and then trained it to withstand the radiance, but he was too much of a sentimental dope to resist treating it like his actual child while he did so, which resulted in the "idea instilled" that caused the seal to fail. the hollow knight's "voice" during its boss fight is basically the radiance screaming out of its husk as she tries to break free

hornet's nothing like that, she's a normally born and raised child who just happens to be a demigoddess thanks to the pale king's heritage, and was trained to be exceptionally good at stabbing things to death. or double-death, however the infection works

e: added spoilers since this was just released on ps+ last month

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 23, 2020

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Lmao, I love this game so much.

Reading the blog-style updates from first-time players is my favorite thing.

I'm nearing the end of my 2nd play through. I have two bosses left on my map that I know about Traitor Lord and the Collector. Once those are beaten I'm going full in on spoilers to find out what's left. I'm not interested in any of the boss rush modes, so I think I'm relatively close to being done with everything else. I think Godhome has some area to explore? And I know there's a few sidequests like the flower thing or whatever. Also planning to give the white palace at least a try, though I may give up on it if I'm not having fun. But I don't know where any of those things are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The White Palace is possible by mere mortals, by the time you get there the game has taught/forced you to learn all the moves needed to do it. Put the Hiveblood charm on from the bees and it will regenerate your health after each fail as well. Sprint master helps with better movement. QuickSlash paired with Mark of Pride is extremely useful for pogo jumping. Try it yourself first but don’t be afraid to google up a tutorial of how to do it either. The respawn points are extremely fair when you make a mistake.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
hiveblood is really bad and slow compared to grubsong + grubberfly's elegy + deep focus

i swear half the reason people hate white palace is because they think the charm combo that requires a 12-second wait between every attempt is mandatory. i'd hate it too if i spent half the dungeon sitting on my hands and screwing up my muscle memory

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 23, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yes but it frees up more charm notches for other things he may need instead. I suck at pogoing with the base nail, just can’t do it effectively without Mark of pride and quickslash.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oh yeah that's the other thing. I only have like 2/3 of the charms, so I'll look into how to get the remaining ones, and probably spoil their interactions just for fun.

I'm not too worried about the palace. I enjoy hard platformers (Celeste, Meat Boy, etc) so I'm expecting to have fun with it. But we'll see.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Oh yeah that's the other thing. I only have like 2/3 of the charms, so I'll look into how to get the remaining ones, and probably spoil their interactions just for fun.

I'm not too worried about the palace. I enjoy hard platformers (Celeste, Meat Boy, etc) so I'm expecting to have fun with it. But we'll see.

Oh you’ll do fine. Once you complete it, google up where the “Path of Pain” is located, that’s your real challenge...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All but one of them (and maybe not even then depending on how you interpret the endings) failed to live up to that standard. The original Hollow Knight possessed a will despite being made from the Void and was accordingly corrupted.

There's plenty of evidence that suggests that Hornet and the player share a common origin. There is none that rules being made of Void out, and the original point that started all of this -- that speech means you can't possibly be a sibling -- requires that.

She also describes the PC Hollow Knight as her "spawn." For what you're saying here to mean anything, she'd have to be speaking metaphorically in one case and literally in the other.

The Knight and all the Siblings, including the Hollow Knight, are the result of the biological union of the White Lady and Pale King, two Higher Beings. The eggs produced were cast into the Abyss and their bodies hollowed out by and filled with void. Hornet and the Knight share a father in the Pale King.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Outside of the Black Egg Temple, Hornet says: I won't be joining you in this. That space is built to sustain your likes. Its bindings would drain me were I to join.

So I was wrong!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so why does our guy come from outside the Kingdom if he's from the Abyss?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so why does our guy come from outside the Kingdom if he's from the Abyss?

there were a bunch of vessels who were locked into the abyss when the king shut the door but somehow slipped out through other means. some got eaten by nosks or other predators, some were killed by hornet, and the PC meandered around the wastelands for an unknown amount of time before the hollow knight's seal broke, which pinged its programming and compelled it to return to Hallownest to carry out its duty

one of the bigger unspoken mysteries of the game is what the hell the PC was doing out there all this time, we get maybe one line that hints its adventures in the wastes helped make it such a ferocious fighter in the first place but that's about it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hornet is the Gendered Child, which implies that she is the only member of some category that possesses a gender. I say she's part void.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Hornet is the Gendered Child, which implies that she is the only member of some category that possesses a gender. I say she's part void.

she's the gendered child because she's the half-sibling of the hordes of genderless, mindless kids the pale king spawned to establish the seal. by her own admission she is not void and isn't able to harness its power (not in the least because its power seems to be horribly incompatible with creatures that are conventionally "alive"). if she could then the radiance probably would have gotten snuffed out ages ago!

e: it's worth noting that her siblings were also not "part void" by any dint of their birth, they only became that way due to the pale king plunging them into the abyss and infusing their husks with the darkness there. the mere fact that hornet is fully sapient shows that he didn't tinker with her in any such way (and also it's pretty unlikely that Herrah would have struck that bargain with him just to give him another meat puppet)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hornet is a powerful girl. why was she killing Vessels?

sorry if I'm asking too many questions, some of it just flew past me I think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hornet is a powerful girl. why was she killing Vessels?

sorry if I'm asking too many questions, some of it just flew past me I think

vessels are born of the king, which means that they're eligible to receive the Kingsbrand housed in the Wyrm's corpse. that's a one-time only deal and not something you want some bumbling zombie to inherit, so hornet killed any who weren't able to fend her off before they could find their way to the Wyrm and take the brand. the PC successfully beat her, twice, and also successfully infused itself with the abyss' power, which is why her inner thoughts over the course of the game have her coming around to the idea that this creepy little thing might have enough mojo to kill off the Radiance for good instead of just prolonging the failed seal

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 23, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I hope we never get an answer as to why the PC was out in the wastes, it’s better left as a mystery.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Enjoying the loretalk here.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NoMas posted:

They make most of it up as they go along.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

NoMas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDiWYFGGqY

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The best part about the Lore is that you can completely ignore 98% of it all and the game still works and is amazing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a lore video like this that's not by someone who is dreadfully unfunny

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Youtube is a plague, people will make a 20 minute video that needed hours of editing for what could have just been a few paragraphs of text.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

is there a lore video like this that's not by someone who is dreadfully unfunny

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

no voice to cry suffering, so yes

the hollow knights and the other failed candidates are spawn of WL and PK that the king cast off into the abyss and rigged up so that voidstuff would infuse their stillborn husks, creating mute and mindless automatons that were attracted to and grasped their way towards his light high above. he grabbed the first one that actually made it and then trained it to withstand the radiance, but he was too much of a sentimental dope to resist treating it like his actual child while he did so, which resulted in the "idea instilled" that caused the seal to fail. the hollow knight's "voice" during its boss fight is basically the radiance screaming out of its husk as she tries to break free

hornet's nothing like that, she's a normally born and raised child who just happens to be a demigoddess thanks to the pale king's heritage, and was trained to be exceptionally good at stabbing things to death. or double-death, however the infection works

e: added spoilers since this was just released on ps+ last month

But doesn't that still mean that Zote could be a former vessel? He talks now, but that doesn't mean that he always did.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is no examples in the entire game of vessels gaining the ability to talk.

edit: The only time any of them even makes a sound is when the Radiance screams through them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: The only time any of them even makes a sound is when the Radiance screams through them.

Well there's also the shadelord who also roars through them in Godhome but that's....a weird thing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 24, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'Radiance screams through them' really does fail Occam's Razor. The figure poising itself in a howl, with a loud howl coming from it? It's probably howling.

'But all the other ones don't talk!' Yes well, the other ones also don't have heroic statues made of them showing how tall and dashing they are (before being sealed away forever). This one's different. If it's yelling at me in pain/whatever, then I'm willing to believe that it's yelling at me.

edit: Oh ffs really? I have to get to the top of pantheon 4 before getting that salacious piece of lore? gently caress you, game. Next DLC will have you going through the path of pain while Zote keeps bouncing around you, in order to find the backstory of Dirtmouth. Fuckers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 24, 2020

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Serephina posted:

'Radiance screams through them' really does fail Occam's Razor. The figure poising itself in a howl, with a loud howl coming from it? It's probably howling.

nope. check out Pure Vessel. silent howl.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Serephina posted:

'But all the other ones don't talk!' Yes well, the other ones also don't have heroic statues made of them showing how tall and dashing they are (before being sealed away forever). This one's different. If it's yelling at me in pain/whatever, then I'm willing to believe that it's yelling at me.

Yeah, and it's just a coincidence that it sounds exaclty like the Radiance screaming (if I recall correctly) and when you fight Pure Vessel it howls silently.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

The only vessels we encounter are A) perfect, B) dead, or C) corrupted by the Radiance. We never see an imperfect vessel (perhaps we see a perfect vessel becoming imperfect at the end of the path of pain, but that vessel is otherwise perfect).

Zote meets most of the other characteristics of a vessel: stature, outfit, and most importantly he appears to leave no corpse, his body dissolving on death. These create the possibility that he was one of the many imperfect vessels, one who could not become the Hollow Knight, but like so many others managed to escape into the wastelands.

Zote being a flawed vessel is not confirmable by the game, but there is evidence to support the theory, and no evidence that precludes it

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 24, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

he has a visible mouth

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

most importantly he appears to leave no corpse, his body dissolving on death

he gets eaten!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

b_d posted:

he gets eaten!

Every other bug leaves a corpse, even the ones that probably get eaten (like in various locations in and around deepnest)

The only creatures in the game that don't leave a corpse, leaving behind only a mask (if they have one), are made of void

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

he has a visible mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
funnier theory I’ve seen is that zote was a nosk with dreams of grandeur