Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus, i mean i dont like kasich at all, but trump is just,,, plain mean. its stupid and obvious i know, but its just the pointless spite and malice of these tweets seems to be hitting me today, its the tone and the wording, he reminds me of school yard bully who gets off insulting weaker kids who cant defend themselves then he will talk about how great and wonderful he is because he called the mentality disabled girl "a stupid oval office" I feel like if he were my age, he would be pushing people to suicide through epic ween trolling efforts, so he could feel big. i mean cruz and huckabee are ideologically monstrous and cruz is defiantly a smug bully. but trump blows him out of the water. It sickins me that i know so many people who think trump is the greatest.

otoh heh that scrubs getting pwned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus, i mean i dont like kasich at all, but trump is just,,, plain mean. its stupid and obvious i know, but its just the pointless spite and malice of these tweets seems to be hitting me today, its the tone and the wording, he reminds me of school yard bully who gets off insulting weaker kids who cant defend themselves then he will talk about how great and wonderful he is because he called the mentality disabled girl "a stupid oval office" I feel like if he were my age, he would be pushing people to suicide through epic ween trolling efforts, so he could feel big. i mean cruz and huckabee are ideologically monstrous and cruz is defiantly a smug bully. but trump blows him out of the water. It sickins me that i know so many people who think trump is the greatest.

The hero America deserves

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Kasich is a complete piece of poo poo and deserves every bit of it, though. I hope Trump goes the extra mile and permanently destroys his political career.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Reminder that Kasich is a lovely person and would be a bad president, despite attending a gay wedding

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Joementum posted:

I think I should mention that image was posted by the Kasich campaign to their Instagram account.

Without a filter?! Rubio could pull that off maybe, but not you Kasich!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Kasich is an awful awful person though

He's only very marginally less terrible than Scott Walker

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If anyone can find a video of the trump forum in des moine iowa today please post it.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

fishmech posted:

I question the usefulness of trying to beat up on Kasich when most people have no idea who he is, rather than knowing who he is disliking him (the bush situation).

This is a total flyer hypothetical, but I could imagine Trump trying to use his celebrity tweeter status to raise awareness of Kasich since he is (on paper) a highly qualified establishment candidate. With Jeb on the downswing and Rubio on the rise, introducing the public to a new alternate to Jeb could keep that wing of the party split between candidates, blunting Rubio's attempt to take over the "reasonable, electable conservative" slot that Jeb has failed to capture.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 22, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im the plastic salt shaker

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is there a good photo gallery of candidates eating food somewhere? Unquestionably the best part of campaign season.

Fairly positive Joementum posted this a couple months ago and it still gets me ~

oystertoadfish posted:

im the plastic salt shaker

So that's why the campaign published such a dumb picture - proof that someone is behind Kasich.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Which would lead to the worst republican lost election?

Hillary vs Trump
Hillary vs Cruz
Hillary vs Carson

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i want to say hillary vs cruz, because he thinks hes a masterful showman but he really, really isnt

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Kasich is a complete piece of poo poo and deserves every bit of it, though. I hope Trump goes the extra mile and permanently destroys his political career.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PDP-1 posted:

This is a total flyer hypothetical, but I could imagine Trump trying to use his celebrity tweeter status to raise awareness of Kasich since he is (on paper) a highly qualified establishment candidate. With Jeb on the downswing and Rubio on the rise, introducing the public to a new alternate to Jeb could keep that wing of the party split between candidates, blunting Rubio's attempt to take over the "reasonable, electable conservative" slot that Jeb has failed to capture.

The other side of this coin is that Kasich IS actually a decent candidate who, apart from the Lehman Brothers thing, could conceivably appeal to moderate Democrats and win a general election. And he's been directly attacking Trump, clearly gunning to be the Not-Trump establishment candidate. He's a more direct threat right now than Rubio, who's still mostly trying to fly under the radar.

edit: not saying Kasich is a decent person, just a decent candidate for a Republican. He's positioned well for the "sane man in the room" vote.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other side of this coin is that Kasich IS actually a decent candidate who, apart from the Lehman Brothers thing, could conceivably appeal to moderate Democrats and win a general election.

lol

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Other than being part of Lehman Brothers why is Kasich lovely

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Chamale posted:

This looks like a man who's going through a tough divorce, not someone running for president.

Why can't it be both? Or one followed by the other.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other side of this coin is that Kasich IS actually a decent candidate who, apart from the Lehman Brothers thing, could conceivably appeal to moderate Democrats and win a general election. And he's been directly attacking Trump, clearly gunning to be the Not-Trump establishment candidate. He's a more direct threat right now than Rubio, who's still mostly trying to fly under the radar.

edit: not saying Kasich is a decent person, just a decent candidate for a Republican. He's positioned well for the "sane man in the room" vote.

Earlier in this cycle I thought Kasich was going to be a lot stronger candidate than he's been so far. He has legit high profile Washington experience, can claim fiscal conservative experience on the "balanced the budget" front, and rode the Tea Party wave to an executive position in a swing state. Once there he did his share of union busting and got re-elected. His Lehman Brothers time should have given him "job creator" status to the Republican base as well as giving him tons of fund raising connections for a super PAC. Overall he seemed to me to be a good compromise candidate between the business and Tea Party factions while not having anything notable for the evangelicals to object to.

On the other hand his debate performances have been pretty lackluster and he might be a bit too much of an establishment man for the current Republican base's zeitgeist. If he gets into a twitter war with The Donald I could see him getting a bit of a Trump Bump from people who used to follow Jeb but aren't satisfied with Rubio due to his previous immigration statements. That bump might now be mitigated after today's pandering over exporting Judeo-Christian values followed by a near immediate back-off that left both sides of that issue feeling dissatisfied.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Rocks posted:

Other than being part of Lehman Brothers why is Kasich lovely

He talks a moderate talk and walks a far right walk.

Examples:
Abortion: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/wolf-sheeps-clothing-gov-kasichs-reproductive-rights-record
Unions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Senate_Bill_5_Voter_Referendum,_Issue_2

I'm a former state employee and everyone I know who still works in state government has told me the way he and his appointees have steadily undermined agencies whose causes he pretends to support but really doesn't (Ohio EPA, Dept. of Education, etc.).

He's also a lovely politician so it's really nothing to worry about in this race. Ohio is solid red for gubernatorial elections, so winning twice here isn't the "moderate" indicator that it might seem. The only reason the last Dem governor (Strickland) won was that 1) it was 2006, and 2) his opponent was Ken Blackwell, the former Ohio Secretary of State who got mocked by Jon Stewart for requiring a certain paper weight for absentee ballots, and also a black man, and Ohio mid-term voters are more reliably racist than they are reliably Republican.

My only concern with Kasich is that in Ohio there's a pretty common Republican career path of Governor -> Senator. I think that's the reason he's actually running, like a reverse Rubio. He would be up against Sherrod Brown in 2018, so I really want Trump to destroy him.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kasich's Twitter account has been attacking Trump for being soft on Putin and for hating Ukraine today.

Edit: ^ I hadn't even considered that Senate angle VC. That seems extremely likely to me.

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 20, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Internet Muslim Database?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-says-he-would-certainly-implement-muslim-database-n466716

quote:

Donald Trump "would certainly implement" a database system tracking Muslims in the United States, the Republican front-runner told NBC News on Thursday night.

"I would certainly implement that. Absolutely," Trump said in Newton, Iowa, in between campaign town halls.

"There should be a lot of systems, beyond databases," he added. "We should have a lot of systems."

When asked whether Muslims would be legally obligated to sign into the database, Trump responded, "They have to be — they have to be."

Ibrahim Hooper, national spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, sounded incredulous when he was asked about Trump's comments, telling NBC News: "We're kind of at a loss for words."

"What else can you compare this to except to prewar Nazi Germany?" Hooper asked. "There's no other comparison, and [Trump] seems to think that's perfectly OK."

Rabbi Jack Moline, executive director of the nonprofit Interfaith Alliance, drew the same comparison Thursday night.

"My father was in World War II, and he fought to preserve America against what the Nazis were doing," Moline told NBC News.

"This is exactly why there is an America, to not be like that," he said.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

America is ready for fascism, whether they know it or not, Trump 2016!

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Put me in there and murder me, Trump.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

This.

Also Kasich has no chance in hell. The man always seems nervous and has the charisma of Gil from the Simpsons.

Added to this his lame super pac just spend millions on ads made by this idiot hack:
The right video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

Remember this ad? He's going to try and stump the Trump with this hot garbage.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 20, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm beggining to wonder if the Kasich super PAC is just a proxy for GOP establishment money and it's not about getting Kasich elected president (why would anyone spend money on that?)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
systems beyond databases is the name of my techno-futurist kraut-pop band.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

This.

Also Kasich has no chance in hell. The man always seems nervous and has the charisma of Gil from the Simpsons.

Added to this his lame super pac just spend millions on ads made by this idiot hack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBvcR_UJVs

Um...that's a Democratic parody of the Demon Sheep ad.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm beggining to wonder if the Kasich super PAC is just a proxy for GOP establishment money and it's not about getting Kasich elected president (why would anyone spend money on that?)

Of course. Kasich knows he has no chance, this is Rubio's game and they don't want to expose Rubes so Kasich and his pac got the hatched assignment on Trump.

Others have been given the assignment to Stump the Trump: First they sent out Perry, then Walker, then Fiorina, now it's Kasich. Its a fairly transparent move and so far has done nothing to take the mad-man out.

Also hitting Trump on foreign policy is a LOSER. How can you hit the man saying he's soft on Putin when Putin is bombing the poo poo out of ISIS, something the entire base adores? Trump can just say he was right about 9/11, right about the Iraq War, right about ISIS, right about the Syrian refugees, drink two cold beers off the top of his podium and flip everyone the bird and the nomination is his.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Montasque posted:

Of course. Kasich knows he has no chance, this is Rubio's game and they don't want to expose Rubes so Kasich and his pac got the hatched assignment on Trump.

Others have been given the assignment to Stump the Trump: First they sent out Perry, then Walker, then Fiorina, now it's Kasich. Its a fairly transparent move and so far has done nothing to take the mad-man out.

Also hitting Trump on foreign policy is a LOSER. How can you hit the man saying he's soft on Putin when Putin is bombing the poo poo out of ISIS, something the entire base adores? Trump can just say he was right about 9/11, right about the Iraq War, right about ISIS, right about the Syrian refugees, drink two cold beers off the top of his podium and flip everyone the bird and the nomination is his.

Don't forget Jindal! He went crazy on Trump for a few days out of the blue to no effect.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Um...that's a Democratic parody of the Demon Sheep ad.

Good catch, I edited my post, but the point remains... horrible hack makes horrible ads for horrible candidates.

Mitt Romney posted:

Don't forget Jindal! He went crazy on Trump for a few days out of the blue to no effect.

Oh yeah him! Not sure if Jindal's freak out was GOPe directed or came from within his campaign. Either way it was a failure.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Joementum posted:

Yes, that's a Donald Trump 2016 yarmulke.

I know a fair amount of conservative Jews and holy poo poo does this make my blood boil.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Here's the really exciting anti-Trump/Carson ad that John Kasich super pac put out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2fl0tsgCg

This is part of a 6.5 million dollar ad buy that is about to blow up NH!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Montasque posted:

This.

The right video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

This is the greatest political ad, and I show it to my American Govt classes every single time I teach it. It just perfectly builds up from standard buzz-word conservative checklist and gets increasingly insane. I always like to ask the class what on earth the ad is trying to do, and the students always struggle to even identify what the gently caress it was about.

I wonder if Fiorina's primary spotlight might make it a bit more obvious who "carly" is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Montasque posted:

Here's the really exciting anti-Trump/Carson ad that John Kasich super pac put out:

He really reminds me of the Cartoon dog Droopy.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Montasque posted:

Kasich really used footage of himself speaking while looking down at his notes. :lol:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Which would lead to the worst republican lost election?

Hillary vs Trump
Hillary vs Cruz
Hillary vs Carson
My gut says Cruz. Trump's bloviating does seem to have an unknowable appeal and he could smirk past a lot of stuff. Carson is a nice guy so Hillary's "killing intent" would be hampered. Against Cruz she's up against a shithead with a loatheable raisin face, so I imagine she'd just stab her fingers into his throat and suck out all his blood.

With prayer Metaphorically.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Immortan posted:

Kasich really used footage of himself speaking while looking down at his notes. :lol:

Did you see how decisively he moved his head left and right again to punctuate his sentences? That right there is a born leader, sir!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Montasque posted:

You know...

You can't delay as president.

It's...
important.
[FLASHES TALKING POINTS IN .3 OF A SECOND]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hello, I'm John Kasich. You might remember me as the guy that's running for President.

• Locked thread