Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

"virtue signaling" is an invented alt-right term designed to minimize empathy for others, friend
Its a real thing and conspicious displays of ones own smug self righteousness has nothing to do with either the process or results of empathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

rudatron posted:

Its a real thing and conspicious displays of ones own smug self righteousness has nothing to do with either the process or results of empathy

Legitimizing alt-right nomenclature is not what Bernie would want, friend

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You legitimize alt-right rhetoric when you refuse to acknowledge the legitimate grievances it maliciously twists and exploits for its own gain

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

zegermans posted:

Legitimizing alt-right nomenclature is not what Bernie would want, friend

Using alt-right legitimizes the alt-right haha lmao

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

rudatron posted:

You legitimize alt-right rhetoric when you refuse to acknowledge the legitimate grievances it maliciously twists and exploits for its own gain

Fascists have no legitimate grievances, friend

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

"virtue signaling" is an invented alt-right term designed to minimize empathy for others, friend

yeah its actually really bad rhetoric and should be avoided at all cost

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

Using alt-right legitimizes the alt-right haha lmao

noted, I should use fascist instead.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
They're called nazis

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

complaining about virtue signaling and SJWs are legitimate grievances, i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a Zyklon B pellet

Zerg Mans has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Apr 23, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

Fascists have no legitimate grievances, friend
The people they're talking to and asking to support them do, and the term 'virtue signalling' describes the phenomenon they see. It is real, it's not made up, by denying its real you're only making fascist look subversive instead of insane.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In particular, it happened in this very thread when a poster tried to use his vote for clinton as proof of his racial awareness & sensitivity, when that's not what it actually showed.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

So you guys think publicly funded universities should be able to ban speakers that they don't like?

why should they be obligated to grant speaking space to any fucklord who asks?

if ann coulter wants to set up on the walkway outside the student union, fine, whatever. she can stand next to the guy who shows up twice a week to shout about how everyone in earshot is going to hell if they don't embrace Jesus, and just down the way from the anti-abortion activists who wave signs covered with gruesome dead baby pictures

but the college isn't obligated to grant her an auditorium of her own, and they're certainly within their rights to kick her out if her activities cause a disruption

rudatron posted:

The people they're talking to and asking to support them do, and the term 'virtue signalling' describes the phenomenon they see. It is real, it's not made up, by denying its real you're only making fascist look subversive instead of insane.

you're getting zegermanned

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

rudatron posted:

In particular, it happened in this very thread when a poster tried to use his vote for clinton as proof of his racial awareness & sensitivity, when that's not what it actually showed.

I believe you'll find voting Clinton was actually better for black people than Attorney General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

you're getting zegermanned

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the term 'virtue signalling' was coined by some brittish moron decades ago, it's a stupid and meaningless phrase but the nazis didn't invent it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

the term 'virtue signalling' was coined by some brittish moron decades ago, it's a stupid and meaningless phrase but the nazis didn't invent it

they didn't invent the swastika either but here we are

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I remember first hearing about the term 'virtue signalling' when the Atheism+ subculture broke away from the main Atheism movement and they kept on playing musical chairs by going further and further extreme, kicking out people who weren't progressive enough until the only people left over were otherkins and people who self diagnose mental disorders.

I kinda like the term because there really are a lot of shitheads who feign piety to gain some social currency.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the "voted with minorities" was always the most solid troll hillers could pull off imo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The entire world has been zegermanned, this is the climax of The Age Of The Zeger Mans, before the fall.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
zerg rush

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

zegermans posted:

maybe you should form your own opinions on where you fit on the political spectrum instead of awkwardly getting your cues from a 95 year old senator

I really don't get where you got this idea from my posts. I like Bernie because I'm a left-liberal; I'm not a left-liberal because I like Bernie.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

I'm proud to be living in this time, when we can finally film nuclear explosions in 4K

Nuclear Winter is just a scam invented by the Chinese.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

sexpig by night posted:

that moron's name was albert einstein

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
When they zag we zerg.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rand alPaul posted:

Nuclear Winter is just a scam invented by the Chinese.

it feels like nuclear summer initially but then you just stop feeling, it's a very interesting experience

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I really don't get where you got this idea from my posts. I like Bernie because I'm a left-liberal; I'm not a left-liberal because I like Bernie.

Bern is everything. Bern is the light.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
LOL it was global warming then it was global climate change now its nuclear winter? get it together libtards!!!!!!!!!!!!11

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zegermans posted:

My wife bought our future daughter a "still she persisted" onesie.

:sever:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
by the time the pain signals get to your brain you don't have a brain anymore. science is amazing

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

logikv9 posted:

by the time the pain signals get to your brain you don't have a brain anymore. science is amazing

That reminds me one of my reddit accounts that was site-wide banned for encouraging fash bashing was named max_f_robespierre

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

if your dying ideology can't muster something at least as good as trump but legal weed, you're the one who should really be worried

my ideology is the immortal science, thanks very much

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Homeless Friend posted:

the "voted with minorities" was always the most solid troll hillers could pull off imo

tyvm

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah and "virtual signalling" is a stupid term because it's the linguistic version of when every fictional villain tries to get the hero to falter by saying "you're only doing what's right to look good"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i farted really loud just now

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
linguistic killshots only

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
once when I was a kid I farted the Nickelodeon theme, true story

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kefka would accuse the party of virtue signalling before the final boss fight if FFVI were released today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The idea behind "virtue signaling" wasn't a bad one, except that it was a terrible term to describe what Phil Ochs talked about like 40 years ago; someone who says they're for left wing causes and all that but turns hard reactionary when those causes ask for actual change.

• Locked thread