Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

aejix posted:

I got curious and was considering gambling on this (and be very clear that I am not looking at this as anything remotely approaching a properly informed investor, I'm straight up gambling on trends/volatility with what would be considered play money for this thread, which I can afford to lose). Is the relatively small trade volume an issue for buying and then selling these later? Would be in the volume range of ~2400 shares. Was hoping to hop in around 0.6 and ride it up to 0.7-0.8. I figured Christopher Pyne landing a board job will guarantee at least some government kickbacks will go to them or at least open the sort of doors for them where merit/product becomes largely irrelevant, it's just jobs for the boys at that point.

Not looking at any long term position, just hoping to scrape a few bucks off some short term volatility

I dunno, whats the average daily volume, and what are the bid/ask spreads? You have an ADR ticker to look up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Oscar Wild posted:

I dunno, whats the average daily volume, and what are the bid/ask spreads? You have an ADR ticker to look up?

This is all a bit new to me so I think the total volume of shares for ASX:3DA is 1.325m - or at least that's what I'm reading off Tradingview in the "Watchlist and Details" pane? Bid/ask spread seems quite narrow (currently says 0.585 and 0.595, again this is me thinking I'm reading the right bits off Tradingview but could easily be wrong)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

aejix posted:

This is all a bit new to me so I think the total volume of shares for ASX:3DA is 1.325m - or at least that's what I'm reading off Tradingview in the "Watchlist and Details" pane? Bid/ask spread seems quite narrow (currently says 0.585 and 0.595, again this is me thinking I'm reading the right bits off Tradingview but could easily be wrong)

Make sure you us a limit order. You might not get all the shares you want but at least you'll get the price you want. 1.35 million and you want get 2.4k you'll probably be fine. Limit orders gaurantee price but not the number of shares and market orders guarantee price but no fill.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

Gotcha. And I'm on my PC now so I can read a bit more. I am definitely diversified -- 40% in international index funds at the moment, and not radically changing that anytime soon.

What are your current etf choices again? I'm definitely overdue for a rebalancing, I need to sit down and think it out before end of year and see what I can shift.

I need more international stock and this article has given me a kick in the rear end, but it's hard to think of a country that has a well regulated/fair market and isn't a tire fire or non competitive right now. Taiwan?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Oscar Wild posted:

Make sure you us a limit order. You might not get all the shares you want but at least you'll get the price you want. 1.35 million and you want get 2.4k you'll probably be fine. Limit orders gaurantee price but not the number of shares and market orders guarantee price but no fill.

Thank you, I normally just fatfinger in the volume I need using 'at market' prices until it equates to roughly the value of the order I wanted to place originally, but this was first time I'd been looking at buying anything other than index funds or blue chips back when they tanked hard in March/April so wasn't sure if the comparatively tiny volume would make it hard to sell in the future.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

aejix posted:

Thank you, I normally just fatfinger in the volume I need using 'at market' prices until it equates to roughly the value of the order I wanted to place originally, but this was first time I'd been looking at buying anything other than index funds or blue chips back when they tanked hard in March/April so wasn't sure if the comparatively tiny volume would make it hard to sell in the future.

It could be an issue selling. Again, use limit orders and that does not mean you're gonna buy or sell all your shares and your brokerage may have weird commission structures but generally you will likely be okay. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Baddog posted:

Hmmm. The difficulty there is the markets aren't protected in any way. How is he investing?

He got cozy with some government officials who then allowed him to expand his company into China. It's very lucrative to be close to party officials, but he can't really say anything unsupportive without risking his business.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know if anyone is following $PEN, but it's halted. Marc Cohodes seems to do good work, but I didn't take a position because betting on number go down in this market has not worked very well for me.

Cohodes is an interesting guy and I respect the hustle, but he can also get overly emotional about his positions and gets way out there. He's connected to a guy named Fraser Perring who's a total conman, and they both blocked me on Twitter for asking questions about Perring's "research" which was like six out of context bullet points and a bunch of conjecture.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Baddog posted:

What are your current etf choices again? I'm definitely overdue for a rebalancing, I need to sit down and think it out before end of year and see what I can shift.

I need more international stock and this article has given me a kick in the rear end, but it's hard to think of a country that has a well regulated/fair market and isn't a tire fire or non competitive right now. Taiwan?

Why not just do a total world ETF? It'll change over time when/if the US's share of the market/global GDP decreases. Vanguard VT or VTWAX will do the trick

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

I tilted heavy into value at the start of last month. My retirement stuff is currently in a mix of ETFs because not all my accounts have the same choices:

~60% US:

VTV, ~20%
RSP, ~20%
VXF-equivalent, ~30%
VOO-equivalent, ~20%
VFH, ~10%

those numbers are ballpark, I'd have to check my spreadsheet for details

~40% int'l:

VEA and IEFA-equivalent, equal amounts

sometime in 2021 I'll rotate out of US value and tilt from total int'l to a factor int'l such as momentum or growth

I was in emerging mkts for a while but will revisit those in 2021. If you want heavy Taiwan exposure without going to a Taiwan-specific ETF, check out EMXC or FRDM. They're both broad EM funds heavy in TSMC (and no China).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can't take that "Relative power of empires" graph seriously at all.

One of the interesting questions, I think, is that if you are a US citizen, you're probably going to stay in the US through the decline and while it may impact your standard of living to a degree, it probably won't be all that bad. Of the empires he lists, really only Russia and Imperial Germany had precipitous and calamitous declines. Otherwise, yeah, being an Ottoman subject in 1740 wasn't a great situation but it was also not some kind of world-ender.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ranbo das posted:

He got cozy with some government officials who then allowed him to expand his company into China. It's very lucrative to be close to party officials, but he can't really say anything unsupportive without risking his business.

People like this are very objective about China’s relative might, yes.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

jokes posted:

People like this are very objective about China’s relative might, yes.

Yah I remember for awhile there everyone was convinced japan was going to end up dominating everyone. Seems silly in retrospect. There's still a lot of fakery behind china, but there is also real power now, not just fifty dudes squatting behind the curtain smoking cigarettes. But I think ji xinping basically becoming dictator for life and kneecapping the meritocracy side of the party will definitely gently caress them up at some point here.

I'm more concerned about the US topping out and being on the back 9. I was thinking this pandemic might be the tipping point, because you can't lead the global economy when you're a loving plague state. Was a bit wild to see dalio showing some data that says that point may have been ten years ago.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dumb question but why is it that when Trump tweets about all time highs for the stock market, things immediately plummet and then recover shortly thereafter? Why is it a sell signal?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maybe the market thinks he’s the moron who’s last to cross the finish line which means it’s time to reverse?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sand Monster posted:

Dumb question but why is it that when Trump tweets about all time highs for the stock market, things immediately plummet and then recover shortly thereafter? Why is it a sell signal?

People taking profits. "Oh we're at the top? I should check my portfolio and sell!"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dalio definitely seems beholden to China now.

Jack Daniels posted:

lol drat that had a good rear end drop last time which saved my short back then. glad I'm not in now, :thanks: to folks ITT pointing out how crazy these guys are getting now on the pump.

its still coming though sometime soon

I posted this earlier, but here is some excellent TA that will tell you when to short TSLA. Seems to be holding true right now. I wonder if it will drop when Elon starts selling shares in Texas, or if he can just say "I would never sell except I need to fund SpaceX" and it will just shoot up higher for some dumb reason. I saw a theory that they'll just raise $5 billion every 3 to 4 months and I don't see why they wouldn't.

https://twitter.com/ParikPatelCFA/status/1334497433469022208?s=20

paternity suitor posted:

Cohodes is an interesting guy and I respect the hustle, but he can also get overly emotional about his positions and gets way out there. He's connected to a guy named Fraser Perring who's a total conman, and they both blocked me on Twitter for asking questions about Perring's "research" which was like six out of context bullet points and a bunch of conjecture.

I noticed that re: overly emotional. Although I have to say the $PEN story is insane, they made up a fake doctor / person to do "research," complete with fake social media profiles. I don't know if their devices are actually killing people (although they seem to be), but I can't see ANY situation where that's a positive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Baddog posted:

Yah I remember for awhile there everyone was convinced japan was going to end up dominating everyone. Seems silly in retrospect. There's still a lot of fakery behind china, but there is also real power now, not just fifty dudes squatting behind the curtain smoking cigarettes. But I think ji xinping basically becoming dictator for life and kneecapping the meritocracy side of the party will definitely gently caress them up at some point here.

I'm more concerned about the US topping out and being on the back 9. I was thinking this pandemic might be the tipping point, because you can't lead the global economy when you're a loving plague state. Was a bit wild to see dalio showing some data that says that point may have been ten years ago.

The cyclical nature of Empires isn’t a “what goes up must go down as soon as they top” concept, it’s usually a breakdown of the systems that ensured their dominance and ascension to start. Pretending American business is the reason we were/are The Hegemony is dumb— they’re just the primary benefactors.

American business and capitalism flourishes because of our military might. Diplomacy and “playing ball” economically by allowing trade and poo poo are preferable alternatives to the, uh, spikier option.

There’s zero reason to think that’ll ever end in the near future. Instead of fading, you’d more likely see a capable demagogue turn America into the completely evil, hateful aggressor it’s been toying with becoming for the last 100 years. That’s also good for business.

This is why the people who point out the American decline are usually people who have very little real understanding of political science/politics, are actively seeking to please their foreign overlord, or are just doomsayers.

Buying US stock instead of foreign stock is, at its core, a bet on the US military. You really can’t divorce the two, this is what Ike was always talking about. You only get “competition” or whatever when you remove that elephant from the room. Foreign stocks might outperform but they’re usually a hedge.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 9, 2020

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Door Dash looking to open at 175 wowzers

edit: lol I'm gonna try to buy some with the hope that market hype + pandemic will drive it up.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 9, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Door Dash looking to open at 175 wowzers
IPO price was $102. Underwriting is literally embezzlement.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
How soon until we can buy puts on that? Monday?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to read their report that pretends current volume and revenue will grow in the next couple years.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I wonder if the traders have grand expectations for growth like Door Dash getting into logistics in general or something.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Sand Monster posted:

If you’re an algorithm reacting to tweets time is of the essence because there are other algorithms reacting to tweets and your move needs to be in before theirs. The less information you have to process the faster you can react. At a bare minimum, a Trump tweet indicates that a thought has occurred to a spiteful senile pervert who is the president of the United States. Most of the time it doesn’t really matter but if it did matter it could only be bad; ergo, sell.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Door dash crypto vaccine distribution concern.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

indications for door dash now at 190

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Door dash crypto vaccine distribution concern.

Blockchain mcdonalds delivery now available on doordash

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Mahan's law still applies. He who rules the waves rules the world, and for the foreseeable future that is the USA for better or for worse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ranbo das posted:

Mahan's law still applies. He who rules the waves rules the world, and for the foreseeable future that is the USA for better or for worse.

Ah, but China has TikTok so the decline has already started.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Opened at 181. I got some orders filled at 182. chasing hype. lets go lol.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Door Dash worth ~ 70Billion+

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Femtosecond posted:

Opened at 181. I got some orders filled at 182. chasing hype. lets go lol.

Brave man.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Quick question

I know you have to pay taxes when you sell stock (and gained money from that)

What's the situation if you, say,
1) bought stock of company A at $60 per share
2) at a later date, bought stock of company A again, at $100 per share

now the stock is at $80 and you sell everything. What's the tax?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

b2n posted:

Quick question

I know you have to pay taxes when you sell stock (and gained money from that)

What's the situation if you, say,
1) bought stock of company A at $60 per share
2) at a later date, bought stock of company A again, at $100 per share

now the stock is at $80 and you sell everything. What's the tax?

Your broker will send you tax documents but generally it’s a first in first out situation, you’d pay $0 in this situation.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Door Dash at 182 can gently caress right off. That's my technical analysis of this situation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shappa posted:

Door Dash at 182 can gently caress right off. That's my technical analysis of this situation.

Hmm yes but have you considered that doordash is funding an anti-vax campaign to ensure their business remains strong for the next 5 year time horizon?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
What determines what stocks I can and can't buy? Right now I'm using a Schwab brokerage account I got mostly for free international ATM withdrawals. But I don't see DASH on there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought the BA dip but it just keeps on dippin.

:comeback:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Greatest Living Man posted:

What determines what stocks I can and can't buy? Right now I'm using a Schwab brokerage account I got mostly for free international ATM withdrawals. But I don't see DASH on there.

Try typing it and pressing enter, any quick results might not populate because it's only been up a few hours. IPOs are also something you don't really want to touch as your first thing, they tend to tank sharply and you want to know how they work as opposed to a stock with a few years on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Rolo posted:

Yeah when I got my AAL call I did CCL too.

E: what sort of calls are you writing? Just out of curiosity.

Covered calls, I only really deal in multiple of 100 shares of stock. I can't even sell naked calls because I'm a Robinhood plebian.