Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep them with disassembled sets. It makes it easier to rebuild things, ya know? Most sets get taken down after a few months and put away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What are y'all doing with your old instructions?

I think I've finally gotten over the idea of hanging onto old boxes - I might hang into a few for particularly big or special sets, but I'm making a bit of an effort to stop keeping new ones and throw out some of the old ones I had stuck in a closet. I'll probably be forever too lazy to resell any of these sets, or they'll be missing odds and ends (like minifigs) that the box probably wont do anything meaningful to the resale value.

But now I also have drawers and drawers full of old instructions. I feel weirder about throwing them away despite all the instructions being available online, but their inconsistent sizes also makes them annoying to stack in drawers.

It's weird to think about throwing away things that you are able to store just fine. :can:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I mostly use fat (2"+) three ring binders and those plastic sleeve inserts that you used for reports in grade school.

Most sets can fit back to back in a single sleeve. Large ones usually go one booklet per. Store em vertically on a bookshelf.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is that any good for the big honkin manuals you get for UCS sets and other 1k+ piece sets? These things seem a little hefty.

Waltzing Along posted:

I keep them with disassembled sets. It makes it easier to rebuild things, ya know? Most sets get taken down after a few months and put away.
I put my dissembled sets into ziplock bags (and label them with what they are, and the set # if I'm not particularly lazy) And all those dissembled sets have been going into a big storage tub.
Would be nice to keep 'em together but seems less convenient for storing the way I do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird to think about throwing away things that you are able to store just fine. :can:
It just feels like they take up a lot of space they maybe don't need to. Like maybe I could be using these drawers for something else? (No immediate idea what)

I'm a horrible pack rat and I'm having a bit of a compulsion to clean up and get rid of poo poo I don't need, partially because now some of my storage clutter has extended out of my closet space so it'd be nice to try to consolidate some of my storage bins so I have more room to put away lego for the new lego :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I get rid of instructions for sets under $150 or so, otherwise it’s just too much.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It seems a bit paradoxical because if you have the space to have so many $150 and under sets then how don't you have space for the instructions for them

Also can't you just flatten the boxes

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
I still have all my instructions going back to the sets I got as a kid because my dad took the front and back of the biggest cardboard box he could find, taped 3 edges to make a giant folder, and chucked everything flat into there slid behind a chest of drawers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Habibi posted:

I mostly use fat (2"+) three ring binders and those plastic sleeve inserts that you used for reports in grade school.

Most sets can fit back to back in a single sleeve. Large ones usually go one booklet per. Store em vertically on a bookshelf.

I tried that last year and didn’t love it. A lot of manuals are heavy and the sleeves aren’t really meant for that. Instead I just have them in a small plastic bin.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

It seems a bit paradoxical because if you have the space to have so many $150 and under sets then how don't you have space for the instructions for them

Boxes flatten, but when you have like 50 large boxes it starts to take up a decent amount of space even when you try to squish them into the back of a closet.

and again, is it really worth it? is there much of a market for people buying sets with their original box, but opened? If I was after some "white whale" and was willing to settle for an opened box, I'd probably prefer whatever keeps shipping costs down, which would probably forgo original box and instructions. Similar consideration for selling my sets: I feel like shipping from Canada can be pricy to begin with, so unless I can get lucky and find local buyers, I feel like it'd be real pricy to basically have to ship the box in a box, rather the smallest box I can fit a bunch of compressed ziplock bags into.

Hanging onto instructions is probably a bit more useful for resale. I'm debating a criteria of "expensive sets, GWP/promo sets, and Creator 3-in-1" as sets to keep instructions for but who knows, I'll probably just see about getting a bin big enough I can toss them all in or something. It's just the varying sizes that might make them annoying to stack (or require me to pull out a ton of stuff when I need to put away a new big manual)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 16, 2023

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I recycle the boxes and put the instructions and sticker sheets (if I leave some or all of the stickers unused) into airtight document boxes. Stickers usually get stacked up into ziplocs, as do smaller manuals.

I'll only save a box if it's from a vintage set that came with one, and I'll still look for a way to get rid of it.

According to Brickset I have at least 1147 sets, so storing packaging is absolutely not going to happen. But all the instructions so far fit into like 3 or 4 boxes that are about 1-2 cubic feet each.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 16, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxyclean posted:

Boxes flatten, but when you have like 50 large boxes it starts to take up a decent amount of space even when you try to squish them into the back of a closet.

and again, is it really worth it? is there much of a market for people buying sets with their original box, but opened? If I was after some "white whale" and was willing to settle for an opened box, I'd probably prefer whatever keeps shipping costs down, which would probably forgo original box and instructions. Similar consideration for selling my sets: I feel like shipping from Canada can be pricy to begin with, so unless I can get lucky and find local buyers, I feel like it'd be real pricy to basically have to ship the box in a box, rather the smallest box I can fit a bunch of compressed ziplock bags into.

Hanging onto instructions is probably a bit more useful for resale. I'm debating a criteria of "expensive sets, GWP/promo sets, and Creator 3-in-1" as sets to keep instructions for but who knows, I'll probably just see about getting a bin big enough I can toss them all in or something. It's just the varying sizes that might make them annoying to stack (or require me to pull out a ton of stuff when I need to put away a new big manual)

Any bigger set is significantly more valuable with the box. It shows that you actually care about the set so it is more likely to be complete and in good condition. Even more so with extra pieces. If you keep them with the set it increases the value by showing you took care of the set.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
When I want to start building a set I tear up the box and toss the bags/instructions into a bin, box pieces get recycled, then when I’ve built the set, instructions get recycled too and leftover parts come into a mason jar that collects all leftovers and brick separators.

I already got a ton of boxes/instructions from before I did that and I have still to sort through them. Probably gonna keep some UCS stuff but ehhh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Butterfly Valley posted:

In this economy?!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I flatten my boxes and then wrap stacks of them in seran wrap and stow them under my bed. It satisfies the completionist nerd part of my brain while being pretty out of sight, out of mind.

Although I don’t break down boxes for the huge UCS sets like the falcon and the Star destroyer and those take up an annoying amount of space.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

veni veni veni posted:

I flatten my boxes and then wrap stacks of them in seran wrap and stow them under my bed. It satisfies the completionist nerd part of my brain while being pretty out of sight, out of mind.

Although I don’t break down boxes for the huge UCS sets like the falcon and the Star destroyer and those take up an annoying amount of space.

I use the Titanic box to store a bunch of other boxes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

It just feels like they take up a lot of space they maybe don't need to. Like maybe I could be using these drawers for something else? (No immediate idea what)

You've been brain-washed by the THROW OUT THINGS nerds. Even Marie Kondo stopped with that poo poo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You've been brain-washed by the THROW OUT THINGS nerds. Even Marie Kondo stopped with that poo poo.

There is no happiness with three kids around, you can not spark joy, you’re too moist from the tears.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

obi_ant posted:

There is no happiness with three kids around, you can not spark joy, you’re too moist from the tears.

:siren: DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR KIDS :siren:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

don't throw out those stacks of old newspapers, where else are you gonna store the cat piss??

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:siren: DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR KIDS :siren:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I keep the boxes and throw out the sets, is that wrong?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The true solution is to rent out a storage unit in order to store the LEGO that don't fit in your home.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Like 1/3 of the shed in our backyard is Rubbermaid containers full of Lego, so….

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I simply memorize the instructions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

don't throw out those stacks of old newspapers, where else are you gonna store the cat piss??

If you were just going to throw them away, why the heck did you subscribe?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
1966 buick riviera

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Nice set. But what did you do with the instructions?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Oxyclean posted:

I have a bunch of stackable document bins in the back, with the instructions sorted by theme.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It's easy enough to find instructions online, you don't need to keep them unless you intend to resell later and think things like the box and paper instructions will add value. Once my booklet pile exceeds the size of a small file box, I'll start tossing stuff I don't care to have lying around.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

1966 buick riviera

loving gorgeous, and I'm not just saying that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reynold posted:

It's easy enough to find instructions online

Yeah but then you have to print them out to use them, so not a good solution!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Your inkjet printer needs the exercise anyway, when's the last time you checked your cartridges or even ran a test print?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I look at them on an ipad and it works pretty well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dogen posted:

I look at an ipad

That sounds like a miserable life :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I think I've finally gotten over the idea of hanging onto old boxes - I might hang into a few for particularly big or special sets, but I'm making a bit of an effort to stop keeping new ones and throw out some of the old ones I had stuck in a closet. I'll probably be forever too lazy to resell any of these sets, or they'll be missing odds and ends (like minifigs) that the box probably wont do anything meaningful to the resale value.

But now I also have drawers and drawers full of old instructions. I feel weirder about throwing them away despite all the instructions being available online, but their inconsistent sizes also makes them annoying to stack in drawers.

I used to keep a big box full of old instructions, but eventually realised they were just taking up space and I was never going to re-use them. I downloaded all the digital copies (or scans for some of the older sets that aren't on the Lego website) and threw the instructions out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
All you digital instructions people are gonna be real upset when you’re trying to build sets after the apocalypse :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In that situation the only instructions I need are how to build the fully functional ar-15. They're already printed and in my shelter (which is built out of burps).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

xzzy posted:

In that situation the only instructions I need are how to build the fully functional ar-15. They're already printed and in my shelter (which is built out of burps).

This place is not a place of honour... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Flyinglemur posted:

loving gorgeous
Aw, thanks, but you're just saying tha-

Flyinglemur posted:

, and I'm not just saying that
Oh! Dang! Well thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

obi_ant posted:

Most of my sets don't last long with my two toddlers playing with them, but that's ok because the joy I get from watching for 4 y.o. boy create new things all by himself, or watch as he creates little stories with all the figures that he wants me to partake in, is worth it.

He took apart a little car the other day to make a skeleton/lava monster wagon. Just a horse harness and some wheels with skeletons holding onto it. He had so much fun with that thing.