Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
A sounds the most chaotic.

Also. Whatever did the attack on the blockade do?
And why do I feel this was all planned to have a popular politician die for a greater cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It sure seems like Amaris the lesser had accepted that he was basically a dead man for going there. Still, sucks to lose one of the few characters I liked. :negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The current new player waiting list is four people.

Times they are a changin

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

rjmccall posted:

Hanse would take Akira. If Akira does well, it will help to shift Kurita loyalists away from Marcus and Theodore. Meanwhile, Akira will likely feel grateful to Hanse for the opportunity, and Hanse will have a lot of chances to influence him. So C.

My thoughts exactly. Plus Akira is from a famous family but NOT a family high in succession.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Back Hack posted:

G Time to have a family reunion on the graves of their enemies.

The NRWR taking of the kiddie gloves? I smell war crimes in the making

Pretty much. Even if they are not told to do warcrimes in any fashion they are going to be doing missions behind enemy lines with little chance of direct comms with HQ, delivering revenge for the death of a beloved leader. So I am getting my New Kentares after all!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I think I'm going to go with B

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

G, maximum Kurita, maximum chaos.

Tch. Amaris, war is not personal. Then again, war is not a game and toying with clans like a cat with a mouse when you have the means to finish them is what got the prior Amaris killed. If you're going for a decapitation strike, don't miss.

I got the impression it was never a decapitation but dismantling the entire idea of the clans. Fight then on their terms and grind them into dust with their own rules of honour and engagement. Create the perfect fight and make them lose it. Killing Amaris isn't the action of a winning side or perfect mechwarrior it's cowardly and shows that the clanners lost at their own game, that all their vaunted warrior perfection failed. That's why they're now bringing our their big guns, because they're saying, Hey we were giving you a fair fight but if you're going to be shits about it we're just going to wreck you like we always could have but chose not to because we wanted to beat you by your own rules. I note the decision to upgrade the weapons came before the message reached Amaris the younger. I'd guess it was an already planned for contingency. At least that's my reading of it.

The clans killing Amaris while sad is ultimately their admission of failure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's twice we've seen them stoop to headhunting and twice it's backfired. The first time the Khan of Khans and his entourage got to make all the gudfite noises they could want, being met in open battle by a likeminded Coordinator. But in the end the Draconis Combine went not to the Hell's Horses, but to Hanse Davion. This time they're denied all of that: their prey being a glorified civilian caught unawares, the hunters second class warriors (not that anyone would say that to their faces).

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
B

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
A - Theodore, for no good reason.
Also - signing on, will probably get PM soon.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 12, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
B.

Take the monk. Maybe he knows magic.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
G, and see if you can rustle up a few more big-shot Kuritas while you're at it. The more, the merrier.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Friend Commuter posted:

G, and see if you can rustle up a few more big-shot Kuritas while you're at it. The more, the merrier.

Get a the entire DS military to dress up in Kuritan samurai-mechwarrior garb, give them vaguely plausible names and have everyone be a Kurita.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
So, uh, have we seen what the D variant is? The Prime is 2 Gauss and 2 Republic PPCs, the A is a UAC/20 and 6 MPL urban combat build, the B is 4 LRM-15s and 2 Snub-nose PPCs, and the C is paired LBX-10s and Large Pulse Lasers, but I don't think we've seen anything on a D variant. So they're bringing a pair of Gauss Rifles and Republic PPCs, an A, B, or C model depending on need, and 2 of these mysterious D variants that are apparently designed explicitly for ruthlessly curbstomping the clans.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

With those being the non-tryhard builds, it makes you really wonder what they could have in store. "Oh, Gauss Rifles and near-clantech PPCs weren't the real build. Nor were Ultra AC 20s and medium pulse lasers. No, those were so we could offer you a fair fight. But now you've made us angry, and you're not going to like us when we're angry."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably C3i lances using the power of massed fire support. It's about the most anti-clan but brutally effective tactic you can field.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

I'll admit, my first thought was they're sending out lances with two units loaded with Arrow IV launchers or something.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
You know what? B I wanna see what Teddy has planned.

Also, even though it's probably way too late, I'm going to go Crusader for hostile MVP for its massive area denial (and multiple kills-or-near-kills) and Hunchbuddy for friendly MVP for winning it in true Hunchback fashion by throwing caution to the wind.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
C

Be the puppet Hanse deserves, Akira.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zebulon posted:

I'll admit, my first thought was they're sending out lances with two units loaded with Arrow IV launchers or something.

The Dragoon II definitely has space for 2 Arrow IVs and plenty of ammo while retaining a couple lasers for backup weapons. I think massed LRMs is probably more effective though. In place of two Arrow IVs you can have 4 LRM20s with Artemis V and 10 tons of ammo + C3i. The Republic has Clan level LRMs, too, so it's not like closing in to point blank with those things is a good idea, either.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

The Dragoon II definitely has space for 2 Arrow IVs and plenty of ammo while retaining a couple lasers for backup weapons. I think massed LRMs is probably more effective though. In place of two Arrow IVs you can have 4 LRM20s with Artemis V and 10 tons of ammo + C3i. The Republic has Clan level LRMs, too, so it's not like closing in to point blank with those things is a good idea, either.

The B variant is already 4 LRM-15s + Artemis and 2 Snub-nose PPCs, so they have massed LRMs handled.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hmm. iATMs? Silver Bullet gauss rifles? Davy Crockett AIV?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm. iATMs? Silver Bullet gauss rifles? Davy Crockett AIV?

That last one would be hilarious. "We have all the major 'mech roles covered. Sniper, Brawler, Missile Support, and TACTICAL NUCLEAR STRIKE!" "Wait, what was that last one?" "... Missile Support?"

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Wasp ammo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zebulon posted:

The B variant is already 4 LRM-15s + Artemis and 2 Snub-nose PPCs, so they have massed LRMs handled.

Yea, I'm not sure. Massed C3i backed missile spam is just about the most cheeseball + anti-clan sensibilities + deadly effective in battletech tactic that I could think of. Artemis V is just silly on LRM20s, all you need is to roll an 8 for the cluster hits and you get all 20 missiles connecting. You're guaranteed 12 missiles per volley, and are likely going to get at least 16. With C3i providing short range, + the LRM mechs being able to likely sit stationary or walk at most, they can easily hit even fast clan targets.

Dragoon IIs aren't exactly super cheap (going by SSW, they cost ~13m cbills before you add weapons and ammo, with the quad LRM20+ AV version being 18m), but they're still cheaper than probably anything the same weight that the Clans have.

e: If you had a different base chassis you could use a standard engine and Endo-Steel to reduce the price down to 11.5m cbills, but you have to drop to LRM15s instead of 20s.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 12, 2017

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
B

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

pun pundit posted:

Wasp ammo.

Locust ammo would be better.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
G

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

F

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was originally thinking they were going to load full energy fits in prep to go guerrilla.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
B

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

goatface posted:

I was originally thinking they were going to load full energy fits in prep to go guerrilla.

Guerrilla? We're winning this war, no need to back down. Uncle Stevie may be gone, but I'm sure he left some crazy plan on contingency. :colbert: One that would undoubtedly have a smug pre-recorded message to broadcast to the Clans after their demise.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
B

Putting unqualified people in charge is what space feudalism is all about.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaodai posted:

Guerrilla? We're winning this war, no need to back down. Uncle Stevie may be gone, but I'm sure he left some crazy plan on contingency. :colbert: One that would undoubtedly have a smug pre-recorded message to broadcast to the Clans after their demise.

"Attention, Clan Warriors. If you are seeing this, then I am already dead. And so are you. Your assassination may have been successful, but all you've done is set in motion the events that will lead to your own annihilation. I do congratulate you on your efforts. You've traveled hundreds of light years, engaged in a grueling ground war against equal opposition, all so you could stab one old man to death in his sleep. Truly, the superior breed of warrior. I'll be seeing you soon." *Uncle Stevie downs a big tumbler of scotch*

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
F) Take Chandrasekhar Kurita to Luthien

This is the only choice which makes sense to me; we don't need another warrior, we need a thinking General, and they don't come any more conniving than Uncle Chandy.

Besides, taking a know-nothing Monk and making him Emperor is like a bonafide 'thing' in Asian History (look it up), so we're not going down that route.

Also, as much as I disliked the whole Uncle Amaris arc, the idea of fighting that 'end-game' excites me more than liberating Luthien (how many times are we going to have this fight, alternate time-line or not).

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Zaodai posted:

"Attention, Clan Warriors. If you are seeing this, then I am already dead. And so are you. Your assassination may have been successful, but all you've done is set in motion the events that will lead to your own annihilation. I do congratulate you on your efforts. You've traveled hundreds of light years, engaged in a grueling ground war against equal opposition, all so you could stab one old man to death in his sleep. Truly, the superior breed of warrior. I'll be seeing you soon." *Uncle Stevie downs a big tumbler of scotch*

Question for those following the thread more closely than I am: how sure are we that Uncle Stevie is dead?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
~reasonably

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dav posted:

Question for those following the thread more closely than I am: how sure are we that Uncle Stevie is dead?

We're not certain at all. All we have is that some Elementals were raiding a base that they believed had Uncle Stevie in it, and that Amaris the Lesser received a message from Andurien that required his bio signatures to unlock that everyone involved assumes is the notice that Uncle Stevie died. He could easily still be alive. Plenty of characters have come back from more proven deaths than that.

That said, very clearly the NRWR wants to give the public projection that he is dead, and the smug message to the Clans would totally do that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone know where the technical post on the Dragoon II series is? I can't find it in the thread.

• Locked thread