Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What happened to nVidias Broadcast Engine features that they announced at TwitchCon? Wasn't it supposed to be available "later that year"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

Completely anecdotal but I've been building pc's off and on since the 90s and the only hardware I've ever had fail has been Asus. I purposely don't buy Asus anymore.

I had that happen to me with Gigabyte boards (videocards are fine). I personally love ASUS motherboards, but yes, they're quite a bit overpriced.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Okay, this is so stupid that I have to share it with you guys.

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214163753639514112

quote:

If you find one or more of the DisplayLink connected screens are going blank for about one second, then coming back on, and the windows on the DisplayLink display have not moved to another display, it is probably caused by the monitor losing sync with the video output from the DisplayLink video output. This can be caused by long, or poor quality video cables. Video cables are no different to any other cables in terms of quality. Poor quality cables can cause:
Signal degradation
Video flicker
Video distortion
If you are seeing such an issue please check if swapping your video cable for another resolves the issue.

Surprisingly, we have also seen this issue connected to gas lift office chairs. When people stand or sit on gas lift chairs, they can generate an EMI spike which is picked up on the video cables, causing a loss of sync. If you have users complaining about displays randomly flickering it could actually be connected to people sitting on gas lift chairs. Again swapping video cables, especially for ones with magnetic ferrite ring on the cable, can eliminate this problem. There is even a white paper about this issue.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 10, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bring back loving dvi already

e: i've literally never had a dvi cable manifest a problem in my life, but in the last few years of having only like 10 dp/hdmi cables at work, i've had to replace 3 already.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
DVI/1440p 4ever

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I like usb c

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

bring back loving dvi already

e: i've literally never had a dvi cable manifest a problem in my life, but in the last few years of having only like 10 dp/hdmi cables at work, i've had to replace 3 already.

I mean, you can complain about that, but this, like Intel speculative execution flaws, is a problem that was known decades in advance, and has only become a problem now because of finer-grained signalling and less shielding on cables.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Dual link DVI topped out at just shy of 10 gigabits/second (including overhead). DisplayPort 1.4 allows up to 32 gigabits/second, and DP 2.0 will allow 80 gbit/s. That kind of data rate presents some quite nasty signal integrity challenges.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It sounds like you can fix that with a magnetic ferrite ring? Pretty wild though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly sounds like the best solution is (seven) more DVI cables :shrug:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So when it comes to DVI and HDMI cables it turns out that Monster Cable, with all their gold plated this and magnetic shielding that hooey, was sort of on the right track all along?

:stare:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, they're still hooey. You can get decent cables at a fraction of the cost of Monster, their business model revolves around making you more worried about a problem than you need to be worried about, and then capitalizing on your overraction.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Monster, their business model revolves around making you more worried about a problem than you need to be worried about, and then capitalizing on your overraction.

in all fairness it would be strange if it wasn't

eames
May 9, 2009

Somebody appears to have "accidentally" leaked an unreleased GPU via OpenVR.

The interesting part is that this unknown GPU is ~30% faster than a stock 2080ti, ~18% faster than the fastest overclocked 2080ti and the developer of the benchmark confirmed that the result appears to be legit.

I don't know what it is but I suspect it will have three to four 8-pin PCIe power connectors and I'm totally fine with that as long as there's some competition at the high end.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Piezo-electric lighters can do this to my monitor as well... 1440p over displayport.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Piezo-electric lighters can do this to my monitor as well... 1440p over displayport.

Same. I'm bouncing up and down on my gas lift chair to try to make this happen and I'm glad I'm working from home today because I probably look like a loving idiot.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In one of the recent interviews, Su did say that the infamous “big Navi” was still in the plans. I honestly didn’t expect (and maybe still don’t expect?) greater than 2080 Ti performance, regardless of price or TDP. Sounds too good to be true, but would be cool to see and bode well for consumers in the future.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

eames posted:

Somebody appears to have "accidentally" leaked an unreleased GPU via OpenVR.

The interesting part is that this unknown GPU is ~30% faster than a stock 2080ti, ~18% faster than the fastest overclocked 2080ti and the developer of the benchmark confirmed that the result appears to be legit.

I don't know what it is but I suspect it will have three to four 8-pin PCIe power connectors and I'm totally fine with that as long as there's some competition at the high end.

I'd much sooner believe this is some sort of timer bug than it is AMD having a preproduction GPU that is already 30% faster than a 2080Ti.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looking forward to the 7nm big navi that finally defeats the year old 12nm 2080ti

and comes out right before nvidia shrinks to 7nm and runs rings around AMD again

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Xbox One X power supply just has 2 connectors to the mainboard +12V and GND. The console has to power basically everything a PC has to power. CPU/GPU/mem/HDD/ODD/fans/etc. Why are PC power supply wiring so complicated still?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

So Xbox One X power supply just has 2 connectors to the mainboard +12V and GND. The console has to power basically everything a PC has to power. CPU/GPU/mem/HDD/ODD/fans/etc. Why are PC power supply wiring so complicated still?

legacy standards

almost all the power draw is on the 12v rails these days, and it's perfectly feasible to put regulators on the motherboard to supply the small amounts of power needed for things like SSDs. But the ATX 24-pin standard has 5v and 3v pins and there's no real "alternative" standard available besides just using a 12v barrel connector (which some mITX systems and similar actually do)

but if you're designing a custom piece of hardware that's going to sell millions of units, go hog wild and design your own connector, hell everybody pretty much does anyway

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I figured it was ATX but also 4 wires for SATA power which I guess you don't have to use at all if you don't have any SATA devices and your PSU is fully modular. I'm just old and grumpy and PCs still look exactly the same when I started building them in high school back in 1999 but now with more glass and awful lights.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

put a water powered generator on the motherboard, and the power supply can be a pump :eng101:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I'd much sooner believe this is some sort of timer bug than it is AMD having a preproduction GPU that is already 30% faster than a 2080Ti.

In a shocking twist of fortune, the benchmark software reported an unknown Renoir Vega GPU as active but was actually running on an external 3080, and the crazy rumors about Ampere were all true.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My Corsair H55 just arrived and I'm about to install it with Kraken G12 I got two extra 120mm fans from my Meshify C case. Are they any better than the one H55 comes with? I might want to use them instead?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sininu posted:

My Corsair H55 just arrived and I'm about to install it with Kraken G12 I got two extra 120mm fans from my Meshify C case. Are they any better than the one H55 comes with? I might want to use them instead?

They won't be optimized for static pressure if they're case fans so don't use them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Uhh, is it ok to connect a PWM (4pin) and DC (3pin) fan to the same header? I only have two headers for 3 fans now.
The 140mm front intake which is 4 pin, the radiator one which is 3pin and the VRM fan which I'll connect to the header I used to plug in the second intake.

I got to order some adaptor that lets me connect the radiator fans to the GPU itself...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

e: okay:

Sininu posted:

Uhh, is it ok to connect a PWM (4pin) and DC (3pin) fan to the same header? I only have two headers for 3 fans now.
The 140mm front intake which is 4 pin, the radiator one which is 3pin and the VRM fan which I'll connect to the header I used to plug in the second intake.

I got to order some adaptor that lets me connect the radiator fans to the GPU itself...

A lot of this is going to depend on what you can do with the BIOS controls that are specific to your motherboard. Look for a fan control section, you can run those two fans off the same header with a splitter just set the header as DC and it'll do voltage control to change the speed for the fans (even the PWM fan). You won't get any info about fan speed this way but it's better than nothing. In a lot of motherboards you can set curves for specific fan headers based on CPU temp, GPU temp, or Case temp if you have that sensor. You should then be able to select the header for the GPU fans and set up a fan curve.

Is the VRM fan (at least) not powered from the card? Have you looked for fan headers on your GPU? I have the EVGA hybrid cooler on my 2080ti and it used the existing headers for both fans. I know that's a cooler designed for my card but still.

The two GPU fans should be on the same header so you can control them by GPU temp and you can put the front intake fan on anything because it basically makes very little difference to your GPU and CPU temps the small difference between a front 140mm fan running at 50% or 75%. You can even get a little molex adaptor so that your front fan is just powered from a molex PSU cable connection for now (it's probably in the PSU cable bundle), or if you want hop on amazon and get a fan splitter for any fans you have that you want running at the same speed.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 11, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My motherboard supports both modes for all the headers and Noctua seems to say that it's ok to run their PWM fans in the DC mode.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66pTe8YM2s

tldr: the NV limiter has identical input lag and frame pacing to RTSS, so the only real caveat is the 40fps lower bound.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

This pump is loud af.. kind of high pitched noise.

E: I hate this. I can't set fans lower than 60% in DC mode so my computer at idle is nearly as loud as it was under load before. And I think I got to RMA this H55, this is madness and my day is ruined.
I connected it to pump header which is 100% at all times so it's not that.

E2: I solved the fan issue by running the fan calibration thing
Another edit: nope, the offending fans are still limited to 60%.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

Dual link DVI topped out at just shy of 10 gigabits/second (including overhead). DisplayPort 1.4 allows up to 32 gigabits/second, and DP 2.0 will allow 80 gbit/s. That kind of data rate presents some quite nasty signal integrity challenges.

isn't dvi signaling literally the same as hdmi/dp minus audio tho? add a couple pins for audio, bring back fat cables and connectors that don't break when someone breathes into it please. call it dp3.0 if you want just.. ugh

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DVI and HDMI are the same, display port uses a different method, though by attaching a dongle you can enable a compatibility mode.

Connectors are just a industry thing though, nothing's stopping dp from using a big ye old connector other than standards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but thought I'd ask.

Is the current consensus that the 1080ti is still a fantastic card and the upgrade to the "current" top card (2080ti I assume?) not worth the difference between them for 3440x1440?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DVI and HDMI were the same originally but they've diverged over time. Modes past 1080p60hz or so are handled differently, with DVI splitting the signal into two independent channels while HDMI stuck with one channel running at a higher frequency.

Then there's HDMI 2.1 which is pretty much a clean break and has more in common with DisplayPort than any previous version of HDMI or DVI.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

slidebite posted:

Is the current consensus that the 1080ti is still a fantastic card and the upgrade to the "current" top card (2080ti I assume?) not worth the difference between them for 3440x1440?

In the next year or 2 monitors , transmission standards, and GPU are all gonna see big changes I think. Gonna see what happens here in monitor and pci4, HDMI 2. news etc before I move on

Also Nvidia probably going to next process soon enough. Gsync finally useful on this card though so that's a benefit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

slidebite posted:

I mean "Worth it" is a loaded question, but the 2080ti or even the 2080S is a substantial upgrade. 2080S is a 30%+ increase in CoD FPS at 1440p, 2080ti is like a 40%+. That's ignoring the RTX options too.

I probably wouldn't suggest upgrading from a 1080ti to even a 2070S (that is lik 10-15% increase) but beyond that it's a pretty good step. Basically the "Super" refresh brought the next gen performance up to about what you typically expect from NVidia, and I feel like the newest titles seem to be flexing better on the 20xx series.

So depends on what you play and what kind of money you have burning in your pocket. I'm sorta holding out hope on a Spring/Early Summer release for the next gen but you can hope for whatever you want.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the replies guys - I actually meant to put this in the upgrade thread :(

But since I'm here and you are helpful, seems to me when the 2080ti came out there were some hardware issues... cards dying, awful coil whine, etc. Mostly worked out by now?

No rush though, might wait for the next gen. Just upgraded my system last month and the GPU is the only thing that's a carry-over (and admittedly doing pretty well).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sininu posted:

This pump is loud af.. kind of high pitched noise.

E: I hate this. I can't set fans lower than 60% in DC mode so my computer at idle is nearly as loud as it was under load before. And I think I got to RMA this H55, this is madness and my day is ruined.
I connected it to pump header which is 100% at all times so it's not that.

E2: I solved the fan issue by running the fan calibration thing
Another edit: nope, the offending fans are still limited to 60%.

Definitely RMA it. My H55 pump is very quiet even at 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Or see if you can return and replace it from the retailer.