Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RX 5700 with XT bios checking in.

Where I was using Afterburner to overclock the xt-bios-flashed 5700 to 2050 MHz with +20% power and a small bump to mem clocks, I'm now using AMD's Radeon software's Automatic Undervolting option which seems to set max clocks to 2039 MHz while reducing current. It runs cooler and quieter at about the same speeds as the manual overclock.

Drivers have been good for me other than 19.12.2, where I had problems with both Chill and RIS/CAS but no other versions have had those problems.

Monster Hunter World Iceborne ships with FidelityFX CAS and it makes a big difference to performance. CAS + DX 12 is giving me 70+ fps at 3440 x 1440 with all options maxed other than disabling fog (game looks better without for me) and leaving AO at Mid rather than High.

It's definitely bottlenecked on my 3770K though, not the 5700. Thanks, Capcom, for bringing the heat death of the universe just that bit earlier than expected.

E: For contrast, DX 11 with the SpecialK mod and no CAS was running at in the low 40's for fps with some more options turned down. Not a good comparison since I had yet to realize at the time just how CPU-necked this game is and that turning down graphics options wasn't needed on the 5700.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Specifically HDMI audio is multiplexed on the video pins that have direct counterparts on DVI, so it's easy to see how GPUs and monitor controllers might just treat DVI as if it were HDMI and have audio work even though it's not specified.
Exactly, HDMI audio and other data is just shoved in to the vestigial "porch" sections of the DVI signal that are left over from its VGA heritage. HDMI signaling can run just fine over DVI cables, though obviously DVI cables aren't certified for the higher speeds of later HDMI modes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are people still running Unigine Heaven for benchmarks? I swear I've seen it listed in more modern benchmark runs so not sure why.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shaocaholica posted:

Are any of the announced AMD APUs faster than what's in the current consoles? I guess they'll never have GDDR ram attached to them tho.

No, definitely not the Pro/One X at least. The bandwidth is a huge bottleneck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh hey, guess what guys? Wolfenstein: Youngblood has RTX now! Only six months after everyone dropped it because of what a turd it was!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

would have been bigger news if they added rtx to the original

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I played this without rtx for a couple hours, I'm not interested enough to reinstall, put it like that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Speaking of console specs. I'm most interested in what Nintendo will pursue with the rumored "Super" Switch.

We know the launch Switch had a Tegra X1 SoC with the GPU downclocked to run at 768MHz docked and has different performance profiles while in handheld mode. Those being 307.2MHz/384MHz/460MHz. The last profile being added after release and as far as I know is only used with BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mortal Combat 11. The CPU is also downclocked to 1020MHz for both docked and handheld.

The newer Switch revision and the Switch Lite are still using the Tegra X1, but it's on 16nm instead 20nm. Clocks have been kept the same, so this has given the newer models better battery life over the older models.

I've been wondering if Nintendo will keep the Tegra X1 for the "Super" Switch, but move it to an even smaller die (probably 12nm. maybe 10nm. 7nm is likely to expensive for Nintendo atm) and use that to push the docked and undocked clocks higher while maintaining battery life. Maybe push the CPU to 1350MHz for both docked and handheld with docked GPU at 1075MHZ and handheld adding a 664Mhz profile. Although maybe I'm just being to hopeful for a 40% increase.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh hey, guess what guys? Wolfenstein: Youngblood has RTX now! Only six months after everyone dropped it because of what a turd it was!

Hopefully Doom Eternal will have it on or close to launch now that they've done the needful on Id Tech.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of console specs. I'm most interested in what Nintendo will pursue with the rumored "Super" Switch.

We know the launch Switch had a Tegra X1 SoC with the GPU downclocked to run at 768MHz docked and has different performance profiles while in handheld mode. Those being 307.2MHz/384MHz/460MHz. The last profile being added after release and as far as I know is only used with BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mortal Combat 11. The CPU is also downclocked to 1020MHz for both docked and handheld.

The newer Switch revision and the Switch Lite are still using the Tegra X1, but it's on 16nm instead 20nm. Clocks have been kept the same, so this has given the newer models better battery life over the older models.

I've been wondering if Nintendo will keep the Tegra X1 for the "Super" Switch, but move it to an even smaller die (probably 12nm. maybe 10nm. 7nm is likely to expensive for Nintendo atm) and use that to push the docked and undocked clocks higher while maintaining battery life. Maybe push the CPU to 1350MHz for both docked and handheld with docked GPU at 1075MHZ and handheld adding a 664Mhz profile. Although maybe I'm just being to hopeful for a 40% increase.

I feel like the Switch would do best not segmenting the userbase right now until after the Sony/MS dust settles. You run into unfavorable comparisons if you try to do a graphics jump alongside the PS5/Xbox PC, and I don't think they could hit a performance profile that would be that significant while keeping it portable.

If they can get a free die shrink you might see that power go towards a bigger/brighter screen maybe.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
A physically larger screen would hurt its portability, so I think that's unlikely. Though a 1080p one instead of the current 720p one would be an easy drop-in and eat up any performance bump they'd otherwise be able to give it, so that might not be a terrible choice.

They wouldn't necessarially need to bifurcate the playerbase any more than the PS4/Pro did--just give the upgraded hardware the option to run at higher res / higher FPS, leave it up to developers to figure out what that actually means for a given game, and call it a day.

I don't think anyone is really buying the Switch for its super high end graphics already, so that an upgraded one would compare poorly to a PS5 in the visuals department is something that they're just going to have to deal with regardless of when they launch (assuming they do an upgraded one to begin with)--getting it out before the PS5 might actually be the best option for them, in that sense.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
I’d assume any new, more powerful Switch would run the same-ish Tegra X1+ that’s in the 2019 Shield. It got a clock bump, but IIRC it’s a smaller size - 7nm I think - which probably means more manageable heat within a switch.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

they should make power gloves from thermally conductive materials so you can turbo charge your switch

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ganondork posted:

I’d assume any new, more powerful Switch would run the same-ish Tegra X1+ that’s in the 2019 Shield. It got a clock bump, but IIRC it’s a smaller size - 7nm I think - which probably means more manageable heat within a switch.

according to this random internet article https://androidpctv.com/comparative-nvidia-tegra-x1-plus/

quote:

As we can see in our comparison, the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ SoC is only a minimal improvement over the previous Tegra X1, as the tests reflect we only have a small increase in power, the jump at 16nm is totally imperceptible at the level of performance and it seems that we are the same as with 20nm. At the level of graphic power this model is still in the top and allows us to play in maximum detail to any title, in this aspect NVIDIA remains without rival.

e: It looks like the X1+ really is the new switch's chip. I'm not sure why they haven't moved down to 7nm its definitely weird. but they've always been late adopters of new technology (except RTX of course)

Setset fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 15, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cost, moving to 7nm now would undoubtedly be much more expensive on a per device basis when you factor in all of the design costs. On top of that, Nvidia cut Nintendo a deal on the Tegra X1s in the original switch basically to keep the Tegra design group open at all.

Switch is $300, with the dock and joycons, so thats pretty dang cost constrained vs for example the cheapest 7nm iPhone, which is $599. (i know that this is an extremely inexact comparison for a million reasons, but its just an illustration of cost sensitivity)

All that said, as Apple and others move off of 7nm and on to other processes, it is likely that the costs will come down and Nintendo can move on to a new part. Some other relevant info, Nvidia announced on their automotive side that they were moving away from their custom RISC CPU cores and on to generic ARM Coretx stuff. Dunno if thats going to impact the Switch/Shield side of things too.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 15, 2020

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, this is so stupid that I have to share it with you guys.

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214163753639514112

Holy crap. I had a monitor this was driving me crazy over. I always thought it was from moving the cable somehow, but no matter how careful I was it would always happen when I stood up and never happen while just sitting and using it even when I would shake my desk or the cable to see if I could get it to flicker. I happened to have an HDMI adapter and have been using it without issue instead of the apparently completely garbage displayport cable.

Winks fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 15, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, I think at this point that whenever we get a new GPU thread, that tweet needs to be embedded.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the hell is up with these youtube recommendations I'm getting about an RX 5900? That's not confirmed yet, is it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
According to Videocardz? AFOX submits Radeon RX 5950XT, RX 5950, RX 5900 and RX 5800 XT to EEC

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Your GPU box may have tamed its art, but rest well knowing your API is still going hard

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Cygni posted:

Your GPU box may have tamed its art, but rest well knowing your API is still going hard

I'm so confused. A...ripped armadillo with Mjolnir? A normal rabbit in a hoody? A teapot?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's referencing various public domain models that are often used in graphics research

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_bunny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_dragon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_teapot

the armadillo is also from stanford but isn't worthy of a wikipedia page apparently

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That could have been much more tasteful but then I realized god let RGB happen.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I finally gave up on fighting over the last Morpheus II on ebay and slapped a couple of NF-A12x25s on my EVGA 1080 SC2.
There were screw bosses and shroud support tabs in exactly the wrong places, so it looks like the janky mess of zipties, hot glue and chopsticks it is but it's quiet* and cooler than before.

*most of the coil whine is muffled

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gyrotica posted:

I'm so confused. A...ripped armadillo with Mjolnir? A normal rabbit in a hoody? A teapot?

A tea pot that's very cross!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

monsterzero posted:

I finally gave up on fighting over the last Morpheus II on ebay and slapped a couple of NF-A12x25s on my EVGA 1080 SC2.
There were screw bosses and shroud support tabs in exactly the wrong places, so it looks like the janky mess of zipties, hot glue and chopsticks it is but it's quiet* and cooler than before.

*most of the coil whine is muffled

wait is morpheus II discontinued? Raijintek is still selling it on newegg's marketplace, if it's on the way out I might pick up a spare

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, hmm yeah, they still list them there. That listing wasn't coming up on google anymore (and I was really trying to spend less than $80+tax) so I thought they were discontinued. Maybe not.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

it's referencing various public domain models that are often used in graphics research

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_bunny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_dragon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_teapot

the armadillo is also from stanford but isn't worthy of a wikipedia page apparently

Oh man, the real-life Utah Teapot is in the Computer History Museum? :swoon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And is also still being made by the original German company: https://frieslandversand.de/teekanne-1-4l-weiss-utah-teapot

They apparently did not know about their fame until 2017, whereupon the "Haushaltsteekanne" was renamed accordingly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

$60 shipped to the US. Tempting...

E: Classic

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 15, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And is also still being made by the original German company: https://frieslandversand.de/teekanne-1-4l-weiss-utah-teapot

They apparently did not know about their fame until 2017, whereupon the "Haushaltsteekanne" was renamed accordingly.

OK, now that's just cool. I.. don't need one, though, I have a teapot. drat.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So, my brother did a rig update recently and basically did so according to the guide on these forums. The consensus seems to be that an AMD build is the best bang for your buck atm and the CPU, RAM etc. certainly isn't causing any problems. However, he uses a lot of Source Filmmaker for his projects and it apparently despises AMD GPUs. It's essentially discontinued software but he seems to be tied to it for the moment so there's not much he can do. The card he originally got was a Radeon RX 5700 XT, upgrading from a GTX 970. He got a refund for the AMD card and is back to using the 970, which should hold him for a while, as it was mainly the CPU that was horribly out of date.

My question is, do NVIDA have anything coming up that might make upgrading to one of their new cards (on a sane budget) an appealing prospect? He does 1080p gaming and wants something that'll handle any new VR poo poo coming out etc.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nothing like that is coming soon. Does he like to animate 3D models having sex?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Haha, nah, mainly music video and LP'er stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDU91RgMC4 .

Youtube pays a pittance so he probably should though. If he overclocks his 970 a little it'll probably last a while yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd say, get that EVGA 2060 KO card. The real constraining thing that blows up the budget is his interest in VR, but also given that VR headsets are not cheap at all you're kind of expected to be okay with Outrageously Expensive Hardware to begin with. But that said, it should be okay but not much better for stuff out there right now.

VR is kind of the bleeding edge frontier of stupid, and nobody knows if it's just going to eventually end up ever being more than a plaything.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah it's a bit unusual, he has the oculus hardware already but he honestly seems to just want to be ready for that Half-life Alyx game. Dumb I know but I suppose we've all been guilty of wanting a new rig for that flashy new game at some point. Suppose it'd be nice for him to be able to play cyberpunk properly too. Maybe he can scrape by with the 970 for a while.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rookoo posted:

Yeah it's a bit unusual, he has the oculus hardware already but he honestly seems to just want to be ready for that Half-life Alyx game. Dumb I know but I suppose we've all been guilty of wanting a new rig for that flashy new game at some point. Suppose it'd be nice for him to be able to play cyberpunk properly too. Maybe he can scrape by with the 970 for a while.

Yeah, I've got a 970 and I think I'm gonna hold off on newer titles (Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk) until I upgrade the card.

Not entirely certain if I'll upgrade to an upper-end 20xx (2070S or higher, might even splurge on a 2080 of some form), or just hold off on those games until we see what the next generation looks like.

I do wonder how much of an upgrade a 1060 6GB is over the 970 for 3440x1440 gaming, because I could easily get ahold of one of those if I staggered the GPU upgrades with my wife. (Tempted to upgrade her 1060 6GB with something good from the 20xx line and then use that card until the 30xx comes out, then maybe give her that one and take the 20xx. If the 1060 6GB isn't a big up over the 970, then that plan falls apart though.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hold off as in, don't preorder them? You shouldn't do that anyway :v:

The GTX 970 might still work if you're willing to turn down options, depending on what quality-performance tradeoffs are possible in the games once they're released.

A GTX 1060 is about equal to a GTX 980, it won't really help if the 970 ends up being unplayable - the 980/1060 is only like 10 to 15% faster than a 970 (a bit more for minimum framerates due to the larger amount of VRAM, but even a 1060's 6 GB will most likely fill up in your resolution).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

orcane posted:

Hold off as in, don't preorder them? You shouldn't do that anyway :v:

The GTX 970 might still work if you're willing to turn down options, depending on what quality-performance tradeoffs are possible in the games once they're released.

A GTX 1060 is about equal to a GTX 980, it won't really help if the 970 ends up being unplayable - the 980/1060 is only like 10 to 15% faster than a 970 (a bit more for minimum framerates due to the larger amount of VRAM, but even a 1060's 6 GB will most likely fill up in your resolution).

Ah, no, no preordering here haha. Nah, "hold off" as in "just wait to play the games after a new card, even if that is 6+ months after they launch".

At 3440x1440 I kinda felt like I was struggling to find a happy medium between graphics and framerate for Doom 2016, which is why I've decided to upgrade before I try anything newer than that (or replay it).

I had a feeling that the 1060 was probably close enough to the 970 that it wouldn't be a significant difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If bios flashing is not a blocker, an RX 5700 flashed to the XT bios has been a very good match for my new 3440 x 1440. Even MH Iceborne is in the 70+ fps range with all options maxed other than fog disabled (because it looks better without the constant haze) and AO at Medium (because I can't see a difference) - and a newer CPU than this 3770K should bump that number up.

Performance between a 2060S and 2070S for $289 was a very good deal for 3440 x 1440.