Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Mortal Kombat’s thirst for violence also undercuts itself.

A bunch of X-ray attacks (which are done during the fight, as opposed to fatalities which happen at the end) are absurd in the amount of damage people take, just to keep on fighting.

The one that stuck in my mind has Kitana stabbing you in both eyes with her fans, just for you to get back up and keep fighting.

Doesn’t the cowboy character have one where he just straight up shoots you in the head and you’re A-OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is an open-world RPG with absolutely nothing resembling level scaling, at all. Any given part of the game is always* around the same level range, generally structured by closeness to the core city in the middle of the map. That's not a terrible way to design the world, since it means you can't possibly make a wrong choice of which direction to go in at the start, but it means that it's basically impossible to just have every challenge be progressively harder; things are gonna inevitably go all over the place.

Pokemon can handle that better than most RPGs, because it's entirely possible to swap your team around to be an appropriate challenge level for what you're fighting, but it's never fun to go somewhere and learn 'oh, this area's absurdly stronger than what I have going for no reason', and it's also not especially fun to find out that your next objective is basically cleanup crew in Chump Zone. This is hardly a Pokemon-only problem, but I'm hitting it in Pokemon right now, so it's getting the brunt of it.

*The excpetion to the largely uniform scaling is that a bunch of areas have an enemy that's weirdly higher-levelled for no reason to such a point that if you're appropriately levelled for the area itself it'll wipe out out. This is also a terrible element of open-world games and I wish developers would stop doing it, especially in very stat-heavy games like Pokemon where there's no way you can just out-skill the thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How would you even level scale a game like Pokemon where you can change your party at any time? It also means you would never feel like you're getting stronger because the random trash would just stay around the same level as you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

How would you even level scale a game like Pokemon where you can change your party at any time? It also means you would never feel like you're getting stronger because the random trash would just stay around the same level as you

My immediate thought on that is to scale the actual 'bosses' (gym leaders, Local Evil Team admins, in ScarVi's case Titan Pokemon) based on how many objectives you've completed. Because the bad break on that one isn't random trash being high or low-levelled, it only feels like a problem when you hit those bosses and either steamroll or get stonewalled.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cleretic posted:

It's been mentioned a lot before, but the worst sufferer of this is Mortal Kombat. Because they had the comical weird hyperviolence, and it worked for them, but now they've gone so far into the uncomfortably realistic stuff that they're giving their own animators PTSD. You know you've gone too far when you get to include Robocop and Rambo as guest characters, and they're on the calmer end gore-wise.

In fact MK11 was so bad that it started to become a legitimate issue for fighting game Youtubers, a whole lot of the X-ray attacks were so gruesome that they'd get pinged by Youtube moderation. D'vorah started becoming a go-to target for combo or mechanical demonstrations solely because her green blood and general meat-components didn't raise the red flags quite as high.

pro player "sonicfox"'s youtube channel just puts a green filter over the whole screen through the duration of super animations lol

Len posted:

considering pokemon is a game where all the combat takes place on a different fight scene from the main walking-around-the-overworld screen, that sounds trivially easy
just set the enemy's level and hp when the fight starts instead of predefining them, since you don't need them outside of the fight screen anyways

enemy scaling in rpgs is lame though

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Warhammer Vermintide 2 was a good fun time with friends and each level ended with stats so i could tell my friends that they need to get their numbers way up or i could be told i need to get my numbers up

Warhammer 40k darktide removed that feature because apparently outside of playing with friends it made for a toxic environment because people are terrible. game is borderline unplayable as a result

I legitimately love that gamers are such shits they've basically ruined their own competitive scenes because they've become so awful devs just stopped including the competitive numbers by default.

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is an open-world RPG with absolutely nothing resembling level scaling, at all. Any given part of the game is always* around the same level range, generally structured by closeness to the core city in the middle of the map. That's not a terrible way to design the world, since it means you can't possibly make a wrong choice of which direction to go in at the start, but it means that it's basically impossible to just have every challenge be progressively harder; things are gonna inevitably go all over the place.

Pokemon can handle that better than most RPGs, because it's entirely possible to swap your team around to be an appropriate challenge level for what you're fighting, but it's never fun to go somewhere and learn 'oh, this area's absurdly stronger than what I have going for no reason', and it's also not especially fun to find out that your next objective is basically cleanup crew in Chump Zone. This is hardly a Pokemon-only problem, but I'm hitting it in Pokemon right now, so it's getting the brunt of it.

*The excpetion to the largely uniform scaling is that a bunch of areas have an enemy that's weirdly higher-levelled for no reason to such a point that if you're appropriately levelled for the area itself it'll wipe out out. This is also a terrible element of open-world games and I wish developers would stop doing it, especially in very stat-heavy games like Pokemon where there's no way you can just out-skill the thing.

Isn't that how pokemon has always worked though? Unless you over grind or manage to slip onto a route early, you're always just going to be cruising along, your pokemon gaining levels more or less on par with the area you're at because exp slows down as you start to catch up with the pokemon around you. Hell that's how most JRPGs work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

Puzzle Quest had the best level scaling system. Each area had a level range and every combat was the minimum level if you got there early, the maximum level if you got there late, and exactly your level if you got there in roughly the range they were expecting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuebot posted:

Isn't that how pokemon has always worked though? Unless you over grind or manage to slip onto a route early, you're always just going to be cruising along, your pokemon gaining levels more or less on par with the area you're at because exp slows down as you start to catch up with the pokemon around you. Hell that's how most JRPGs work.
At least the versions I played were very linear and heavily gated, usually behind gym fights. So outside weird sequence breaking you weren't going to be wandering into level 50 land when you're supposed to be fighting bug catchers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

Yes, but Pokemon hasn't been open world before now. In previous games they could sequence things linearly, because Lt. Surge just is the third gym leader, of course his level is between the second and fourth. It's a design approach that only becomes a problem when you introduce non-linearity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only way I could really see doing level scaling in an open world pokemon is by having the gym leaders break out a stronger team based on how many badges you have. Hell, considering the nature of pokemon's world, it could easily be explained as... the gym leader checks how many badges you have and gives you an appropriate challenge.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

The only way I could really see doing level scaling in an open world pokemon is by having the gym leaders break out a stronger team based on how many badges you have. Hell, considering the nature of pokemon's world, it could easily be explained as... the gym leader checks how many badges you have and gives you an appropriate challenge.

Yeah it's the obvious way to handle it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Randalor posted:

Isn't that literally how they show it off in at least one of the anime? They show brock or someone has like six pokemon, but since the person he's fighting is new he only uses two of them.

Splicer posted:

Puzzle Quest had the best level scaling system. Each area had a level range and every combat was the minimum level if you got there early, the maximum level if you got there late, and exactly your level if you got there in roughly the range they were expecting.

Puzzle Quest was a really good game, if brutally hard at times and the people who modded the DLC/expansion into the PC version are rad as hell because it adds a lot to the game. Shame every sequel and spiritual successor has been bad, broken, or a lovely mobile game. Incidentally I'm playing magic the gathering puzzle quest right now and it just makes me want to play real puzzle quest again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Splicer posted:

WoW has used a version of this at times and it's a good system.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Spider-Man 2018 is such a good game overall, I think I only have a couple substantial complaints. One I always forget until replaying it is how the city just fills up with groups of heavily armed prisoner escapees and paramilitary mercenary groups as you get further into the story, all of whom will attack you on sight.

It's fine story-wise, it just makes swinging around the city less fun when there's just constant sniper rifles and targeting missiles aimed at you wherever you go. I guess it's not the worst if you've already been clearing out the map challenges along the way so there's not much left to do outside missions, it just kinda brings things down compared to all the fun I had freely flying around everywhere earlier on.

This goes to something I notice with a lot of modern games where they want to show how robust the combat is so they make every encounter a major event with a full cast of enemies with powerful abilities. Letting you just plow through the occasional trash mob is good for psychology.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

pro player "sonicfox"'s youtube channel just puts a green filter over the whole screen through the duration of super animations lol

considering pokemon is a game where all the combat takes place on a different fight scene from the main walking-around-the-overworld screen, that sounds trivially easy
just set the enemy's level and hp when the fight starts instead of predefining them, since you don't need them outside of the fight screen anyways

enemy scaling in rpgs is lame though

Scarlet/violet has no random battles or load screens and every pokemon has a level you can visibly see by locking onto it. With the performance issues it has just from that I can't imagine it would run well if it also had to calculate that on the fly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maxwell Lord posted:

This goes to something I notice with a lot of modern games where they want to show how robust the combat is so they make every encounter a major event with a full cast of enemies with powerful abilities. Letting you just plow through the occasional trash mob is good for psychology.

Following some earlier replies, I don't think the map filling up like that is the worst thing ever - you don't have to stop and fight everyone along the way and you can constantly dodge stuff pretty easily while swinging around. But I don't think that really adds fun, and it occasionally adds extra difficulty when I'm trying to do specific missions.

I think the point you mention really jumps out now that I'm checking off random crime missions from the map. The early ones start off with simple trash mobs, but by this point in the game they're mixing in ones where you have like four elite snipers constantly trained on you alongside a squad of jetpack guys with disabling attacks, on top of a whole group of regular supersoldiers. That really tests my patience more than it feels like it should for just ticking low-level stuff off a list.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’ve never bothered playing the original final fantasy games that weren’t released in the US (2, 3 and 5) but I decided I needed a new phone time waster so I picked up the pixel remaster of 2 and good god this game is awful.
* the leveling system is tedious as hell and not fun at all. You have to “level” individual spells and stats and some spell functionality changes as you level but the game doesn’t tell you what the changes are/will be. I’m top of that, the game fails to mention that each character can learn a maximum of 16 spells and you have to spend a LOT of time grinding them to make them effective. It feels like a MMO.

* the game is crazy unbalanced and a bunch of spells are just loving broken. Dispel does nothing at all but berserk is just a flat attack buff with no downside and it STACKS so you can just keep recasting berserk until your party’s mage can 1-shot bosses by bonking them with their staff.

* has the same horribly obnoxious “random encounter every 5 steps” thing like in the early dragon warrior games and FF1 but coupled with incredibly long dungeon slogs that all look the same. It’s somehow less creative than FF1.

* the game is absolutely terrible at telling you where to go. The game’s idea of a hint is “go to <town>” without even giving you a general idea of what direction it’s in. Couple that with the “forced encounters every 5 steps” thing and just ugh.

The music is pretty though.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Frank Frank posted:

* has the same horribly obnoxious “random encounter every 5 steps” thing like in the early dragon warrior games and FF1 but coupled with incredibly long dungeon slogs that all look the same. It’s somehow less creative than FF1.

Not to mention the total design dick move of about 80% of doors in every dungeon going to some non-descript dead end room, so that the slog is mostly bumping around dungeons like a Roomba.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Paper Tiger posted:

Not to mention the total design dick move of about 80% of doors in every dungeon going to some non-descript dead end room, so that the slog is mostly bumping around dungeons like a Roomba.

And those dead-end doors lead to rooms with an even higher encounter rate than normal and they place you in the middle of the room instead of at the door so you have to walk out. I’m gonna finish the game but I don’t think I’ve ever played a game this unintentionally aggravating before

The random encounter thing is bullshit too because even the original Dragon Warrior had fairy water for when you wanted to get between point A and B without a gazillion pointless fights. The other thing the ludicrous encounter rate does is to make money absolutely meaningless by the midpoint of the game. You have so much of it that you can literally buy anything

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Dec 3, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All I remember from FF2 is that every fight would be stupidly difficult until you did enough grinding to level up once and then all of a sudden you're one shotting everything

That and the multiple characters who permanently leave your team with whatever you have equipped on them with no warning

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DrBouvenstein posted:

A podcast I listen to, "Bonfireside Chat" (Kole and Gary, also goons (at least one is) that have covered all the From-Soft Soulbourne series games) refers to that type of enemy as having,

"Settle down, Beavis" energy to it.

three pages late but that's a perfect way to describe it :allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
This isn't really dragging the game down per se, but I'm really conflicted about how Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus plays hard into the Jews having a secret worldwide cabal. Like how Set mentions how the Jews Da'at Yichud built a high tech secret underground facility in New Mexico "thousands of years before the Europeans colonized it".

I mean, there isn't a Jewish space-laser yet, but there's no reason there isn't one.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Opopanax posted:

All I remember from FF2 is that every fight would be stupidly difficult until you did enough grinding to level up once and then all of a sudden you're one shotting everything

That and the multiple characters who permanently leave your team with whatever you have equipped on them with no warning

The pixel remaster at least returns their gear when they leave but I eventually just started ignoring them and not bothering to level them since they come and go so frequently. Once you have berserk and haste, the game is totally broken anyway.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does Germany have an opinion on mortal kombat?

I seem to recall Saints Row had a weird thing of the games needing to say "oh bad guys are robots.", but then one of the games was set inside an in-universe matrix and suddenly its okay to kill matrix peeps and have red blood.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

Isn't that literally how they show it off in at least one of the anime? They show brock or someone has like six pokemon, but since the person he's fighting is new he only uses two of them.

Pokemon Origins, yeah, and I can't believe they didn't use that as a model for the game. Brock comments about how the guy doesn't have any badges yet, and so he slots away his team that were going to come up and just a couple pokeballs, with geodude and onix, show up.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The secret to FF2 is that dodging attacks makes you better at dodging attacks. Equipping your best gear at the start is a trap because it tanks your evade, which makes you fall behind the curve and never dodge anything ever. Keep your frontliners’ evade maxed and only add more armor when they can use it without losing evade, and suddenly the entire game is a cakewalk and you never need to grind.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Deep Rock Galactic

I love Refinery missions: they are fast paced killfests (like all DRG missions) but with the added puzzle "how do I build this :krad: grindrail through a cave-system-battlefield mid-firefight", which owns.

But there are a growing number of Driller players who are dead set on drilling straight to objectives so your grindrail network is three boring straight lines. I can't figure a way to tell them to cut it the gently caress out that isn't either super rude or whiney-- and who am I to tell them how to have fun anyway. I could play Driller myself to plug the team position, but thats my worst class and I'd rather play anyone else.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Snake Maze posted:

The secret to FF2 is that dodging attacks makes you better at dodging attacks. Equipping your best gear at the start is a trap because it tanks your evade, which makes you fall behind the curve and never dodge anything ever. Keep your frontliners’ evade maxed and only add more armor when they can use it without losing evade, and suddenly the entire game is a cakewalk and you never need to grind.

Nah. The game tricks you into thinking the “best” gear is the best just because it’s more expensive. There’s literally no difference between say a silver cuirass and full plate mythril armor. Just wear the cuirass. Anyway, just give everyone a shield and once you “level” shields to 6 or so everyone has 99% evade regardless of whatever armor you’re wearing. Before that, just cast Blink. The only thing that scares me now are enemies that can inflict status because they can wipe your whole party sometimes if you get unlucky - but I just picked up Barrier so I doubt they’ll even be a thing for much longer.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i just make sure im building the lines because yeah it turbo coaster time when its a refinery mission

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

verbal enema posted:

i just make sure im building the lines because yeah it turbo coaster time when its a refinery mission

I frequently make it a point to grab the rails and guide them everywhere except Driller tunnels but I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to do it as often as I should, frankly

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress "optimal play"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

I love Refinery missions: they are fast paced killfests (like all DRG missions) but with the added puzzle "how do I build this :krad: grindrail through a cave-system-battlefield mid-firefight", which owns.

But there are a growing number of Driller players who are dead set on drilling straight to objectives so your grindrail network is three boring straight lines. I can't figure a way to tell them to cut it the gently caress out that isn't either super rude or whiney-- and who am I to tell them how to have fun anyway. I could play Driller myself to plug the team position, but thats my worst class and I'd rather play anyone else.

This is because there is a very vocal part of the DRG community that absolutely lose their minds if you don't play in the optimal way and so a lot of people just have the game's fun squeezed out of it by joyless assholes who spend entire games throwing tantrums if you don't use the right element or meta set up for your skills or whatever. I love playing driller, and I've had entire games where people just lose their minds if I don't immediately start drilling tunnels perfectly straight towards the objective non-stop, gently caress me if I want to collect side objectives, shoot a bug or explore in any way. These same people also yell if I stop for like two seconds to let my drills cool down, it's been a huge factor in why I've basically stopped playing the game unless it's exclusively with the handful of friends I know who also play it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FF2 is generally considered the worst of the 2D FF games. There's a reason why it didn't originally come to the west.

Level scaling in open world games tends to suck and people tend to complain about it so I guarantee that if Scarlet/Violet had some form of level scaling, you'd have a different set of people in here complaining about it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Vandar posted:

FF2 is generally considered the worst of the 2D FF games. There's a reason why it didn't originally come to the west.

Guess I shouldn’t hold up hope for 3 or 5 then huh?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

The DS version of 3 is a nightmare hellscape because they encourage additional grinding because you take a penalty from swapping jobs that I'm pretty sure doesn't exist in any other version.

People love 5, it's like a regular holiday to play it every year in Games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Frank Frank posted:

3 is better but obviously a prototype of the job system, some of the later dungeons are bullshit, but I don’t know how well tuned the pixel remaster is. The DS remake was unbelievably grindy though.

5 is fantastic, don’t let 2 scare you off of it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RareAcumen posted:

The DS version of 3 is a nightmare hellscape because they encourage additional grinding because you take a penalty from swapping jobs that I'm pretty sure doesn't exist in any other version.

People love 5, it's like a regular holiday to play it every year in Games.

Is the pixel remaster of 3 any good? Seems like they reverted most of the changes from the weird 3D remasters in 4 and 6

Dewgy posted:

3 is better but obviously a prototype of the job system, some of the later dungeons are bullshit, but I don’t know how well tuned the pixel remaster is. The DS remake was unbelievably grindy though.

5 is fantastic, don’t let 2 scare you off of it.

Answered my question - thanks

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Is the pixel remaster of 3 any good? Seems like they reverted most of the changes from the weird 3D remasters in 4 and 6

Answered my question - thanks

Remember to keep mages in the back row if you use any, that matters for that game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Frank Frank posted:

5 is IMO the best of the 2D games and one of the best games in the franchise overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The new Pokemon probably should have made a clearer indication of the 'intended' order of things just to guide the player a little bit more since they didn't have any scaling. Hopefully the next ones refine on the things they did with these.