Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pirate Jet posted:

It was that and the fact that the biggest exposure Bad Faith ever got was the Chomsky interview

That interview was garbage and it was embarrassing that they were so proud of it. Nothing but a full hour of Chomsky trying to make a basic point that Biden is the better choice in a one-or-the-other election and BJG trying to do irrelevant thought experiments and complaining about how Biden wasn't going to help her personal causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's wild how all the high profile people that worked Bernie's campaign were 1. extremely stupid 2. extremely annoying and 3. opportunistic as gently caress

Obviously the state of the Left in this country is not great, but good lord, the hucksters that surrounded him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've still managed to avoid understanding what ForceTheVote is or was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I've still managed to avoid understanding what ForceTheVote is or was.

Oh that's easy. The plan was for The Squad to refuse to vote for Pelosi as Speaker unless she promised to hold an up or down vote of Medicare For All, and then leftists could mount successful primary challenges against the Representatives who voted no, based on their lack of support for M4A.

Now, you might point out that the M4A bill even if it did pass the House would never be taken up by the Senate, and the Biden had explicitly promised to veto the M4A bill if it came across his desk, meaning that Representatives would be free to vote in favor of the bill even if they opposed it. Like how most of the 2020 candidates co-sponsored the bill but then were opposed to it during the primaries.

Or you could point out that Joe loving Biden, the candidate most vocally opposed to M4A, the candidate who had specifically promised to veto M4A if it came across his desk, had just absolutely wiped the floor with Bernie Sanders in the primaries. SO we know that you can't actually defeat a primary opponent based on their M4A position.

But if you did point out either of those facts, that just means you're a lib, and you support Joe Biden who is a rapist so you're also an apologist for rape.

The whole thing was extremely loving stupid and people got really passionate about it. Basically,

Mike N Eich posted:

It's wild how all the high profile people that worked Bernie's campaign were 1. extremely stupid 2. extremely annoying and 3. opportunistic as gently caress

Obviously the state of the Left in this country is not great, but good lord, the hucksters that surrounded him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't say that I want to know.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That interview was garbage and it was embarrassing that they were so proud of it. Nothing but a full hour of Chomsky trying to make a basic point that Biden is the better choice in a one-or-the-other election and BJG trying to do irrelevant thought experiments and complaining about how Biden wasn't going to help her personal causes.

yeah we talked about this already and you started complaining about "accelerationists" so I wrote you off immediately.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pirate Jet posted:

yeah we talked about this already and you started complaining about "accelerationists" so I wrote you off immediately.

I'm going to stand by my point that Biden is a better choice than Trump if it's a binary choice. If you think otherwise I'm fine with writing you off as well.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Gripweed posted:

SO we know that you can't actually defeat a primary opponent based on their M4A position.
All of this is true but I remember some polling that a majority or sizable amount of Biden primary voters thought he actually supported it.

Turns out voters don't know poo poo! :smith:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

in a frictionless vacuum,

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm going to stand by my point that Biden is a better choice than Trump if it's a binary choice. If you think otherwise I'm fine with writing you off as well.

You and the Democrats and 90% of Bernie voters. You won, so whatever happens is on you and your cohort.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bernie Sanders FTW

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

You and the Democrats and 90% of Bernie voters. You won, so whatever happens is on you and your cohort.

I'm not even a US citizen. "Democrats are slightly less poo poo than Republicans" isn't some bold statement I'm making here.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
He's worse. Trump is the homie.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNHfeBJ81I&pp=ygUaYmVybmllIHdvdWxkIGhhdmUgd29uIHNvbmc%3D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sardonik posted:

All of this is true but I remember some polling that a majority or sizable amount of Biden primary voters thought he actually supported it.

Turns out voters don't know poo poo! :smith:

Yeah that really makes it clear that Democrat voters think that all Democrat politicians actually want nice things, but they also don't actually expect any of them to deliver it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Turning elections into an idiotic trolley problem was one of the Founders' great achievements...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bernie Sanders FTW

Gonna have to agree here.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The beverage guest is a real dud. Who cares, man!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he has an annoying voice but it was a pretty funny episode

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I thought it was a neat episode, although I feel like there was a missed opportunity in not discussing the insane three-tier distribution system for alcoholic beverages in this country, a ridiculous example of institutionalized rent-seeking that has empowered a legion of reactionary owners of small-to-medium sized distribution businesses

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 22, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

HannibalBarca posted:

I thought it was a neat episode, although I feel like there was a missed opportunity in not discussing the insane three-tier distribution system for alcoholic beverage in this country, a ridiculous example of institutionalized rent-seeking that has empowered a legion of reactionary owners of small-to-medium sized distribution businesses

I haven’t listened to the ep yet and don’t know anything about alcohol distribution but this post made me recall a specific childhood memory.

There’s always one kid in your class who cries when their mom leaves for way too long, like 3rd grade it’s still happening the first week of school. His dad was the local beverage distributor. In high school I remember he was very dumb but mostly harmless, and very good at golf due to the amount of time he spent at his parents country club.

I remember going to his house and it was insanely large, just room after room barely used or explained. His parents drove me home after a late night golf meet and his dad was absolutely hammered, hanging out the window and smoking a huge cigar. His mom was driving. I remember realizing that this dumb kids dumb dad was just as dumb as he was - but super rich. It was a crack in the meritocratic eugenic idea that only the supremely talented and smart people succeed in America.

Anyway I got kicked off the golf team for sucking rear end at it and never saw him again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
State controlled alcohol policy is the only issue where I agree with Republicans. Get the government out of the business of deciding which rums I can buy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

State controlled alcohol policy is the only issue where I agree with Republicans. Get the government out of the business of deciding which rums I can buy.

sometimes i think about how i can't buy booze on Sundays in the year of our lord 2023 and laugh. heehee

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

uber_stoat posted:

sometimes i think about how i can't buy booze on Sundays in the year of our lord 2023 and laugh. heehee
Here in FL we still have laws on the books requiring that stores have to have a separate place for you to buy alcohol that is not inside the main store. This causes things like Publixes that sometimes have a Publix Liquors next to the actual supermarket that have their own entrance.

I know there was an attempt to repeal this law a couple of years ago but it didn't make it through the legislature.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It was very strange moving from middle of nowhere Illinois where I could buy beer from a gas station until 1am, up to Milwaukee where you can't buy any alcohol outside of a bar after 9pm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I support that one state where liquor is only available through government stores. That seems like a good idea.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I support that one state where liquor is only available through government stores. That seems like a good idea.

Growing up in Washington you could only buy liquors in state run stores, and everyone bitched about the hours and locations. Then we decided to privatize everything and now booze is way more expensive lol

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Liquor laws are dumb as poo poo. Texas used to have one that beer over like 5% couldn’t have the word “beer” on the label, it had to say “ale”. So a ton of places wouldn’t sell in Texas because they would have had to alter labels they use everywhere else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The kids are still in cages.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

King

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1649584084371349505?s=20

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The kids are still in cages.

Biden or Trump. One of them is going to president, there are no other options. Which do you prefer?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

It’s awesome, I can search all the liquor store inventories in the state to find anything I want and the prices are the same everywhere

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Biden or Trump. One of them is going to president, there are no other options. Which do you prefer?

The one who did fewer rapes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AIDS.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is this really still an interesting line of discussion for anyone here?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1649584084371349505

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here in FL we still have laws on the books requiring that stores have to have a separate place for you to buy alcohol that is not inside the main store. This causes things like Publixes that sometimes have a Publix Liquors next to the actual supermarket that have their own entrance.

I know there was an attempt to repeal this law a couple of years ago but it didn't make it through the legislature.

One store is communism.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/774428910595477504?s=20

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

His written statement is going to show up any day now and then she can give her side of the story.

"Keep the Faith,
Brie"

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1409372457753055235?s=20

edit:
"Virgil plans to make a statement soon and I have not wanted to preempt his statement"
- June 28, 2021, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ross Perot