Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also, not to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this meeting with Senators and Representatives happened yesterday, and this morning Trump threatened to take away Congressional healthcare and shat all over the people he just met with.

So it must have been a really productive meeting, is what I'm saying. Just the best meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JVNO posted:

Is a bipartisan bill in the realm of possibilities at all? I'm pretty sure the Democrats are opposed to any effort that would reduce the number of insured people.

No, since the grand total of republicans who *might* care for decreasing number of uninsured in the Senate is 2, and that's being very generous. That means the most votes it could get would be 50, so would be voted down by Pence on grounds of poor people not suffering being an affront to freedom from his PoV.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If they had a brain, they'd start work on tax reform.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Kale posted:

Honestly I think replies to official government twitter account should just be loving banned. Just make it read only, cut out all the loving idiots that call twitter a home.

The judicial branch disagrees with you

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kale posted:

Can I just say again how much I loving utterly loathe twitter and the braindead idiots, bots and meme macro spammers that reply to everything and call it anything resembling political discourse. Like what a bunch of shrieking idiots replying to half of this stuff, what's the loving point, just do a public statement or something and cut out the twitter factor.

Honestly I think replies to official government twitter account should just be loving banned. Just make it read only, cut out all the loving idiots that call twitter a home. I just can't see anyway it does more harm than good, I mean you'll always have Fox News and InfoWars for the people that love to spew extremist rhetoric and insults out all over the political landscape but it'd be a start.

Just don't read the replies, man.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She KNOWS that the GOP will never ever work bipartisanly so she's just calling their bluff.

Which is valid. Pelosi is often pretty bad at grandstanding, so this is nice to see.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can imagine McTurtle's ghoulish face when reading this, but Ryan probably just wanted to reply with something like :mad: "DON'T. PUSH IT. PELOSI"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

She's trolling them, it's great.

quote:

As Leader Pelosi writes, “Some of what we have heard is consistent with Leader McConnell’s market stabilization section in the BCRA. These provisions include a Short-Term Stability Fund, Long-Term State Stability and Innovation Program, and Cost-Sharing Subsidies. House Democrats are prepared to support these vital measures and exchange ideas on how we go forward in other respects.”

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 29, 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Just don't read the replies, man.

That's a fair point, social media is full of complete loving idiots anyway. It's really made Western Democracies substantially dumber in a very quick time. I'm not sure you get this level of straight down the middle division and poo poo spewing idiots running the show in the U.S without social media as a viable platform for spreading it. The very idea of coming together and agreeing on something with your fellow population to get anything actually done isn't even on the table because the sole thing resembling a clear cut policy goal has become "BTFOing" the other parties people on the twitterscape and getting to crow about it.

Not enough people care about policy for the sake of improving the country in someway or how things run anymore or what anything on the calendar in the senate or house might mean for them as long as they are convinced it fucks over the "snowflakes" or "cuckservatives" or whoever they're supposed to hate from their side of the aisle. This is just kind of the reality even if Trump goes by the end of 2018 the overall tone of U.S Politics and inability to get anything done in the 2010's won't change for the 2020's much unless social media changes or introduces some new rules or something. Like I'm not talking censorship but the whole decline into tribalism isn't a good look either.

Honestly I'm really struggling here guys, I can't think of much that twitter has made better really.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 29, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

For the love of god just let yourself have this brief moment in time to revel.

I mean, I agree, but...

Office Pig posted:

You wanna bet on this, or do you just feel like peddling more bullshit false hope?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Covok posted:

If they had a brain, they'd start work on tax reform.
The moment that they move on to any other matters is the moment they admit killing Obamacare is not the most important thing in their world. The instant they do that, Trump declares war on the GOP in Congress, as he's been threatening to do. It's a war they could win... probably... but it's going to be such an unpleasant and costly thing that the Republicans are doing anything they can to delay it. Maybe if they're really lucky, something will come along to distract him just in time. If not, it's going to be a poo poo-show.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Robot Hobo posted:

They kept the first bill locked in the basement of a different building, with armed guards posted to make sure no Democrat would be allowed to even see it. The word "bipartisan" was alternately used by Republican lawmakers as a punchline or an insult. If they did offer to cooperate now, it would stupid to trust for one moment that they'd operate in good faith.

I didn't know it would eat my face!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Unless Collins, Murkowski, and McCain publicly state they are not passing a bill with only Republican votes, it'll keep coming back. There's nothing else for them to do, they're waiting on the House for tax reform.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

I mean, I agree, but...

Yeah, I had almost forgotten. I apologize for that, for what it's still worth. Personal uncertainties compounded by the uncertainties of the inmates running the asylum made for a rash outburst you didn't really do anything to deserve.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

The moment that they move on to any other matters is the moment they admit killing Obamacare is not the most important thing in their world. The instant they do that, Trump declares war on the GOP in Congress, as he's been threatening to do. It's a war they could win... probably... but it's going to be such an unpleasant and costly thing that the Republicans are doing anything they can to delay it. Maybe if they're really lucky, something will come along to distract him just in time. If not, it's going to be a poo poo-show.

When congress reconvenes they'll have a little under a month to come up with a strategy to avoid hitting the debt ceiling and they're gonna need a budget soon too. They've wasted so much time on this go nowhere healthcare reform poo poo and now that stuff strikes me as way more important in the very near future because we're about to hit August. That poo poo should have been taken care of before the August recess already, like.....even McConnell seemed to admit it's time to move on from the Healthcare debate in his sore loser speech.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Yeah, I had almost forgotten. I apologize for that, for what it's still worth. Personal uncertainties compounded by the uncertainties of the inmates running the asylum made for a rash outburst you didn't really do anything to deserve.

That's totally okay, I was just teasing. It did get a lot closer than I expected, I have to confess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

When congress reconvenes they'll have a little under a month to come up with a strategy to avoid hitting the debt ceiling and they're gonna need a budget soon too. They've wasted so much time on this go nowhere healthcare reform poo poo and now that stuff strikes me as way more important in the very near future because we're about to hit August. That poo poo should have been taken care of before the August recess already, like.....even McConnell seemed to admit it's time to move on from the Healthcare debate in his sore loser speech.
Didn't he actually say "Mr. President (referring probably to Pence, but also probably directed at Trump), I think it's time to move on" explicitly?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Didn't he actually say "Mr. President (referring probably to Pence, but also probably directed at Trump), I think it's time to move on" explicitly?

Yep and in a very defeated and resigned sounding tone. It wasn't to Pence though cause he had already left by the time they went to take the vote. To be honest I'm 100% sure who the guy was chairing the senate that he was talking too.

In his own words

Turtle posted:

"The American people are going to regret that we couldn't find a better way forward. And as I said, we look forward to our colleagues on the other side suggesting what they have in mind. It's time to move on".

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Does Pence believe Trump is a divine agent or something? He really goes hard for that man

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pillsburysoldier posted:

Does Pence believe Trump is a divine agent or something? He really goes hard for that man

For evangelicals, this world is just a glorified time share, and an idiot like Trump could hasten the END TIMES...while also making life miserable for all the people who reject Christ's love in the meantime.

I'd imagine it also has a "if I'm publicly supportive, he won't do anything that might jeopardize my succeeding him" aspect, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wark Say posted:

The time you're thinking of, he was referring to the President pro Tempore of the Senate, who presides over the Senate and is a position analogous to Speaker of the House. It wasn't a message to the White House, it was parliamentary motion to table the bill.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Trump has already, sort of, declared war on congress though hasn't he? He's openly threatened senators on twitter and fired Priebus. It also seems like GOP congressman are starting to turn on him...slowly of course.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hahahaha, no.

Like, in general, not just this.

Sanctions bill was bipartisan

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Right now there is a guy trying to breed red heifers in Israel to precipitate the end of the world. So yeah Evangelicals are crazy and want the end of the world so they like Trump

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For evangelicals, this world is just a glorified time share, and an idiot like Trump could hasten the END TIMES...while also making life miserable for all the people who reject Christ's love in the meantime.

pretty much. basically watch the old documentary jesus camp to get a better idea at how broken these assholes are and that doesnt even show the worst stuff.

pillsburysoldier posted:

probaly to an extent. i think pence is trying to look loyal so he survives the various purges and if trump falls, he can take the reins.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://twitter.com/GainesvillePD/status/891086416511467520

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's likely more than trolling. The Dems may well be setting up to give Republicans an escape hatch re: impeachment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Right now there is a guy trying to breed red heifers in Israel to precipitate the end of the world. So yeah Evangelicals are crazy and want the end of the world so they like Trump

i dont get that poo poo. i keep my bitter inner atheist inside alot because my gf is pretty religious(not the bad kind) but how the gently caress do these people believe this bullshit. its not loving true. it was written by a bunch of persecuted people writing their angry revenge fantasy against rome/nero/one of them. most of the lovely parts of Christianity are birthed by that gently caress face paul who was probably legit mentally ill and was afraid of his own cock and wanted to the world to die so he could meet the dude he never met because he heard poo poo in his head. it doesnt help that american conservatism has made that poo poo even worse, they took all the bad poo poo the puritans believed and dropped all the decent stuff and here we are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's likely more than trolling. The Dems may well be setting up to give Republicans an escape hatch re: impeachment.

in what way?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Giggy posted:

Trump has already, sort of, declared war on congress though hasn't he? He's openly threatened senators on twitter and fired Priebus.
His threats are mostly of the "You'd better do as I say, or else" variety, leaving Congress one last chance of doing as he demands before he finally snaps. They're all on vacation/recess right now, so it's a threat on-hold, they can't technically disobey his demand until they are back in session.

That still leaves the possibility of Trump getting impatient before then anyway, or enough of Congress announcing they have no intention of diving back into healthcare this year.

Kale posted:

When congress reconvenes they'll have a little under a month to come up with a strategy to avoid hitting the debt ceiling
This is the part I'm worried about right now. If they get a debt ceiling bill to Trump's desk and he vetos it, can they override him? If it works like other bills, they may have to get it on his desk with more than 10 days to spare, or he could wait and veto it at the last minute with no chance to be overridden.

Trump's entire negotiation strategy throughout his career has revolved around one trick. He owes someone money because they did a job/provided goods to him. He then refuses to pay, knowing that the victim probably can't afford to spend all their time and money tied up in a lawsuit to get the promised money. Donald uses this as leverage to get them to drastically lower their asking price, despite having already agreed on the original deal.

When Donald Trump says that he's an amazing negotiator, this is what he's talking about, lying, cheating, and then bullying is his signature move, and he's proud of it. When Trump says he's going to use his negotiation skills to get the US better deals, he means that absolutely intends to do this trick, because it's one of only two pages in his entire playbook. He's going to look at this and think that he's finally found an issue that fits into his comfort zone.

Donald believes the debt ceiling shouldn't be raised, he may have a way to stop it, and anyone who might be able to explain that it doesn't work this way is someone he now considers an enemy. If someone tells him it'll cause the USA to default, he'll love it, because declaring bankruptcy is his the other play in his playbook. Bankruptcy always worked out for him in the past, and he's made it clear he doesn't believe this situation is any different. (no matter who tries to tell him otherwise)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fun reminder this police department covered up murders by members of the football team during the tim tebow era

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont get that poo poo. i keep my bitter inner atheist inside alot because my gf is pretty religious(not the bad kind) but how the gently caress do these people believe this bullshit. its not loving true. it was written by a bunch of persecuted people writing their angry revenge fantasy against rome/nero/one of them. most of the lovely parts of Christianity are birthed by that gently caress face paul who was probably legit mentally ill and was afraid of his own cock and wanted to the world to die so he could meet the dude he never met because he heard poo poo in his head. it doesnt help that american conservatism has made that poo poo even worse, they took all the bad poo poo the puritans believed and dropped all the decent stuff and here we are.

Yeah, the Pope is writing things like "here's a prayer to help you feel connected with nature and God's creation," meanwhile evangelicals have a hard on for the end of the world. It's loving bizarre. I'm not religious, but one of the above is way less understandable to me than the other.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

All that statements needs is to finish with, "...or one of you is going home" and it would read like something straight out of The Apprentice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Evangelicals hoping for the end times just want off this miserable ride. They believe whatever's next is better.

Mostly harmless until you get into the hucksters of the world who think it's their divine right to help move it along.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the Pope is writing things like "here's a prayer to help you feel connected with nature and God's creation," meanwhile evangelicals have a hard on for the end of the world. It's loving bizarre. I'm not religious, but one of the above is way less understandable to me than the other.

Evangelicals broke away from the Pope like 500 years ago. It was kind of a big deal.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

His threats are mostly of the "You'd better do as I say, or else" variety, leaving Congress one last chance of doing as he demands before he finally snaps. They're all on vacation/recess right now, so it's a threat on-hold, they can't technically disobey his demand until they are back in session.

That still leaves the possibility of Trump getting impatient before then anyway, or enough of Congress announcing they have no intention of diving back into healthcare this year.

I think the firing of Reince is pretty major though. He was the only real Republican with any power in the white house. I think it's also become clear to the GOP what's been clear to us from the beginning, Trump is incapable of loyalty and will throw any Republican under the bus for the pettiest of reasons. I was watching a clip on Fox Business (which no one watches) and a pundit said exactly this and that Reince deserved better.

edit - Also it seems inevitable that Trump is going to get rid of Sessions which would really gently caress him up.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/connortryan/status/891409301624979456

:stare:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Evangelicals broke away from the Pope like 500 years ago. It was kind of a big deal.

Not directly, for one thing, and also it doesn't matter because my main point was that some Christians are pretty chill, but the popular strains in America are sort of nuts.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Dat's ouah Mooch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Our government is a loving reality TV show.

• Locked thread