Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ease posted:

Quick someone train those African kids in TV repair!

Or how to do veterinarian work. I will pay you $7k to fix my broken pet while you live on $1 a day. This gig will set you up for a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If anyone is looking to take a tutorial to improve their photography, nintendo put up a great interactive photography tutorial up on their wii store.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have an advice question, but it's not a camera technical question, but whatever...

My friend let me borrow his beautiful Petri 35 that he wasn't using. He didn't think it worked, but I loaded in some 35mm film and we got it going. We shot a roll, and we realized that the rewind feature wasn't working. So I said I'd go to the camera shop where I drop my stuff off at and see if they could fix it or at least get the camera out.

Well, the girl took the camera and went into the back. She came back out saying she couldn't figure out how to get the back open. I showed her and she went back in. She came out later with the camera and the film out of it.

However, at this point I noticed that the.. uh... mechanical part that forwards the film was pulled way out and sticking there. I was like, "Oh, uh..looks like this is broken too." And she said that she knows a repair guy that she can call if I need it.

But now that I'm thinking back on it, that piece worked perfectly before I handed her the camera. And I'm guessing she thought that pulling it may have released the back, and she may have pulled it with so much force that it broke the spring action mechanism inside.

Well, I've managed to somewhat fix it to where I can forward the film again, I think... but I also now notice there's a shard of glass in the viewfinder. WTF? How should I handle this?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How long do you think film will be manufactured at a realistically affordable price?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

aliencowboy posted:

How long do you think film will be manufactured at a realistically affordable price?

In 35mm format? Long enough for you to not have to worry about it right now. 120 as well, but less variants. Large format is already getting expensive and will increase.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
As long as they keep cranking out Tri-X, I'm good.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ringo R posted:

Yesterday I had one of my panoramas printed and the guy at the counter showed a bit of interest in it and seemed to get the $$$ look in his eyes.

Unfortunately this is a print shop in Thailand, a country where copying and stealing is completely normal and the police would probably laugh at you if you said one of your photos are being sold without your permission. I know it's not a masterpiece but I've got this sinking feeling that it might be sold at some cheap market somewhere around here soon :( Since I printed it for myself I didn't put my name anywhere on it, not that it'd help much, but anyway.

If you see it somewhere, take a photo of it on sale and report it to the cops. I handled the preliminaries of a copyright case when I was at Lumphini PD (Indian guy being accused of selling bootleg furniture by a Thai), the cops took it as seriously as anything else we got.

rear end is my canvas posted:

Rhombus said the lab mysteriously lost his film there... hmmm...

They claim they gave it to the wrong person (had a numbered ticket just like you get here), who never came back with it. It wasn't really commercially viable work, mostly crossprocessed crap from my Lomo LC-A over a period of a few years traveling, so I think they were telling the truth (lovely slapadash customer service). They just shrugged and said "whoops", and I was left with 4x6 prints and some really lovely 1MP scans of some of my favorite shots I've taken.

Really loving sucked, I hope their lovely shop got torched in the Red Shirt riots or flooded.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Haggins posted:

I shoot twice a month for a non-profit no kill pet rescue here in town. It's pretty much an all volunteer organization with the exception of maybe a receptionist and a vet. The photos I take are used for the rescue's website to help get the animals adopted. To me it's charity work and I have no inclination to charge.

Count me as someone that also wants to do this. Except that I live 90 miles from the nearest city and the animal control in the small town I live in does jack poo poo for animals.

Case in point: http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/161152/2/TIMELINE-Reported-incidents-at-Whispering-Pines-horse-ranch

poo poo went on since before 2009. Sickening, but at least something has finally been done about it. And the real kicker is that he is only a co-owner of these horses but managed to steal the property out from under the real owner in a real estate fraud scheme then filed a restraining order against the other owner.

When I move to Reno, or if I move to another city, offering photography services to the shelters is the first thing I'm going to do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

As long as they keep cranking out Tri-X, I'm good.
This and medium format portra.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm still really bummed out about Plus-X, though. That was a good 50% of the film I used.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Red Shirt riots or flooded.

Remodeled after being gutted in Red Shirt riots then flooded.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

McMadCow posted:

I'm still really bummed out about Plus-X, though. That was a good 50% of the film I used.

You could try something like Lucky SHD 100 if you really need a substitute.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I figured this would be the best thread to ask this question in because it's a discussion thread. Sorry in advance if I'm wrong, and because I'm so completely lost when it comes to photography and its equipment. Also, I realize this may be a non-starter anyway, but thanks for any help you can offer.

What would be a good gift in the $50-75 range for a photographer about to graduate from art school, or what kind of questions/information should I be looking for to help me figure it out? I know he's focused on digital photography and rents a studio from a friend and lights to do shooting in for relatively cheaply, so I could always put money toward time there or a memory card for his camera, but I'm wondering if there's any tips or help you can give me. I know that for more detailed suggestions I'd have to get some more technical info on what kind of equipment he uses or what kind of... photograph style... he does, but aside from saying "tell me enough about your process that I can buy you a Christmas present" I don't even know what kinds of questions to ask. Or maybe there's some book or magazine or something else I'm not even thinking of that'd be easier.

Thanks again for putting up with my astonishing ignorance.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
In general I think buying equipment as a gift is a bad idea, unless a person specifically asks for it, because they probably know a lot more about what they need than I do.
The best photography related gift you could give is a book from one of their favorite artists.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

In general I think buying equipment as a gift is a bad idea, unless a person specifically asks for it, because they probably know a lot more about what they need than I do.
The best photography related gift you could give is a book from one of their favorite artists.

Yeah, seconding this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Get them the best UV filter you can afford!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Reichstag posted:

This is a great idea. If they're anything like me they can never bring themselves to buy awesome photo books because they are saving for actual gear. I'd love a book.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Amazon gift card- If they want/need photography stuff, they'll put it towards that, else they can buy something else they like. I know people hate gift cards as gifts.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Thirding the book idea. Or if you know they are always reading a specific art-related magazine but don't subscribe, get them a subscription. It's not like, an astonishing gift up front, but at the same time they get something for the rest of the year and they'll appreciate it every time it shows up in the mail.

I would also recommend books about art history. It's buried here in the forums, but someone mentioned (and I'm paraphrasing) that learning about the history of art gives an artist context and depth that they can draw upon and provides new meanings and interpretations to their work. I studied some art history in college (Judeo-Christian art history from about 200BC to 1500AD) and was surprised to find that even though it was a totally different subject, I could apply it to my primary major (international relations) and could apply my primary major to it. And it helped me understand the world in general. It's interesting, relevant, and educational.

Another less interesting suggestion would be maybe a gift card to either a local art store, or a web retailer like Newegg or Amazon.

really though, the book is the best idea of all. Or if you have a favorite artist, you could pick that one so that you can share what you like about art with them.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

indigi posted:

What would be a good gift in the $50-75 range for a photographer about to graduate from art school, or what kind of questions/information should I be looking for to help me figure it out?

Buying "a book" is probably as difficult as buying "some gear". I'd suggest buying a subscription to either kelbytraining.com, lynda.com, or safarionline.com

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

indigi posted:

I figured this would be the best thread to ask this question in because it's a discussion thread. Sorry in advance if I'm wrong, and because I'm so completely lost when it comes to photography and its equipment. Also, I realize this may be a non-starter anyway, but thanks for any help you can offer.

What would be a good gift in the $50-75 range for a photographer about to graduate from art school, or what kind of questions/information should I be looking for to help me figure it out? I know he's focused on digital photography and rents a studio from a friend and lights to do shooting in for relatively cheaply, so I could always put money toward time there or a memory card for his camera, but I'm wondering if there's any tips or help you can give me. I know that for more detailed suggestions I'd have to get some more technical info on what kind of equipment he uses or what kind of... photograph style... he does, but aside from saying "tell me enough about your process that I can buy you a Christmas present" I don't even know what kinds of questions to ask. Or maybe there's some book or magazine or something else I'm not even thinking of that'd be easier.

Thanks again for putting up with my astonishing ignorance.

The best photography gift ever

http://www.amazon.com/Antonin-Kratochvil-Persona-Michael-Persson/dp/8072097830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322092628&sr=8-1

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If he's graduating from art school, he's probably broke as hell, so anything you can do to help get his business off the ground like paying for a short portrait session would probably be good. Hell, a coffee shop gift card would probably go over well for those late-night editing sessions. I like getting nice coffee for gifts, but then again, I'm a caffeine addict. Plus if worst comes to worst, he can buy food with it.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Or maybe buy a pro account on a website for him/her. Smugmug, 500px or something.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Drewski posted:

Or maybe buy a pro account on a website for him/her. Smugmug, 500px or something.

Or pay for registering a domain name. A domain name would be a gift that could potentially last a lifetime. Does GoDaddy do gift certificates?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Yes.

http://www.godaddy.com/gift/gift-cards.aspx

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
All the feedback is great and very appreciated, thanks! I'm going to look into all the websites suggested as my first option and search Amazon for some good books about artists or periods in art history I know he likes, or maybe a giant picture book. He's already got a domain name picked out and is working on his website, but that would have been a great idea as well. Thanks again.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

GoDaddy also has really really awful commercials so it'd be cool to support a different registrar.

If your recipient likes to shoot film, then buying them some consumables is probably a reasonably safe bet too!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Trying to come up with a logo for my business cards and junk, I used a aperture blade in the O of my logo. Then everyone pointed out it's cliche as gently caress. So goons, I ask you, what else is round and says PHOTOS? :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The number on my bank balance after buying equipment.

There are a few things, but they'd all have to be in some sort of 3d profile to be recognizeable, like top of a film canister or something. Not really recognizeable by itself.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Makes for a poor business card logo though. Heh, poor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe the front element? Not sure you could make it recognizable with a single color though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I tried the front of a lens but it got too busy.
Maybe I'll just leave it. I suppose it's fairly insignificant really.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

A5H posted:

Trying to come up with a logo for my business cards and junk, I used a aperture blade in the O of my logo. Then everyone pointed out it's cliche as gently caress. So goons, I ask you, what else is round and says PHOTOS? :(

Do you really need a logo?
Other round things: Flashbulb, film spool, lens barrel

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Do you really need a logo?
Other round things: Flashbulb, film spool, lens barrel

I'm knocking up some cards and just thought it would be a nice touch?

What do you guys reckon?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it would look better without any gimmick, really.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I think it would look better without any gimmick, really.

Oh okay. I'll just sack it off then.
Doesn't it look a bit low effort as just text though?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Nobody dismisses people because they don't have gimmicky logos. The opposite is true though

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

A5H posted:

I agree with just leaving it as plain text. Its a nice font and looks clean and sleek without it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sweet. I'll just do it as text then. Cheers guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A5H posted:

Maybe. I love minimal logos though. It's hard for me to look at it objectively.