Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mountaineer posted:

Whoa, that can't be right. At my store there's a phone number posted in the breakroom for a hotline where you can anonymously report things like this.

At the three different retail jobs I've worked, they've all had pretty much the same policy that if a co-worker is making you uncomfortable then you report it to your direct supervisor, and if for some reason you are not comfortable reporting to them then move higher up the chain. It sounds like you fear reprisal if you report the situation to anyone in your store, so you should have to right to go to the district manager or corporate HR or whatever. Perhaps my state has better laws about this, but I would think most places these days would treat sexual harassment as a serious issue.

I say get that number if you can, and don't let anyone know why you want it.

I disagree with Coffee Wolf and probably wouldn't tell your father if you seriously intend to report the co-worker's behavior to HR. He might realize it was you who reported him, and you come back to the potential problem of facing reprisal at work.
Depends on what your father is like, though, and if you really think he could work things out amicably with this friend of his.

This. A thousand times this. If you can't talk to the guy about it, talk to your manager. If you can't talk to your manager, talk to their manager. If you can't talk to that manager, you go to HR. And if anyone is funny about giving you the number, make sure you report THAT as well.

The female customers probably don't seem to mind so much because they know they're going to be far away from this guy in short order - if they had to be around him all day I imagine they'd feel similarly to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I will probably end up asking the manager for the number to HR. I'm just so worried it'll come back to hurt me. :/ wish me luck, goons.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

silversiren posted:

I will probably end up asking the manager for the number to HR. I'm just so worried it'll come back to hurt me. :/ wish me luck, goons.

If anything, it will make them less likely to fire you, for fear of it looking like reprisal for the sexual harassment claim.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure 'Wanted to report sexual harassment' followed by 'fired' makes a lawyers eyes light up in dollar signs.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
It's not so much that I am afraid of them firing me, just that the problem coworker will try to start poo poo, or the managerial team will look at me as sort of a tattle tale.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

silversiren posted:

It's not so much that I am afraid of them firing me, just that the problem coworker will try to start poo poo, or the managerial team will look at me as sort of a tattle tale.

And it's this which allows poo poo like the above to happen and go on.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

silversiren posted:

It's just as illegal to retaliate in other ways against someone with a legitimate grievance.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

The General posted:

And it's this which allows poo poo like the above to happen and go on.

Wherein the problem lies! Because I spoke to a few female coworkers and they said the same thing I did.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

silversiren posted:

Wherein the problem lies! Because I spoke to a few female coworkers and they said the same thing I did.

Is a minimum wage job really worth putting up with harassment and being forced to walk a fine line to maintain everyone's perception of a 'wont cause trouble' demeanor? gently caress no.

Bring it up with someone. You don't have to phrase it as "Oh my god, so and so totally came on to me and is trying to FORCEFULL HAVE SEX WITH ME!!!". Just say something like:

"Hey, so I don't want to get anyone in trouble or cause any issues, but this one employee is kind of making me feel uncomfortable by doing [insert SPECIFIC THINGS] around me. I'm not really sure who to tell, if I should even tell anyone, or if I should bring it up with so and so in person; but I just want to let someone know."

Bam. Problem solved. Any manager that is actually a human will analyze that as a request for help rather than 'nagging' or 'snitching' or 'tattling'. Just make sure to bring it up with someone higher up on the food chain. If the actions of the creepo ever do escalate, there will at least be a mental record that you were already concerned at one time in the past, and the situation is deteriorating.

What will most likely result by letting someone know (considering that management consists of real humans instead of Ryandian space monsters) is that they will tell the guy to knock that poo poo off, and that will be the end of it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Avalanche posted:

What will most likely result by letting someone know (considering that management consists of real humans instead of Ryandian space monsters) is that they will tell the guy to knock that poo poo off, and that will be the end of it.
You left out the part where the guy keeps on doing it, and (local) management does nothing :downs:

Edited.

The General fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 17, 2012

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Some chucklefuck thought it would be HI-LARIOUS today to splortch a shitload of shave gel all over the shelf today. What makes people think that kind of thing is okay? To just...open up things that you havent paid for and mess around with them? I saw a lady test a stick of some sort of makeup on her hand once and then put it right back on the shelf despite the safety seal now being broken and it having clearly been rubbed against skin. Ruining stuff and making huge slimy messes= totally fine, apparently. People who do this need to be shot out of a cannon.

Also, I can't remember if I've said this here or not, but whoever came up with the idea of multicolored assortments of things on peg hooks also needs to be shot out of a cannon.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Today was my last day, I start my courier gig on wednesday. I'm out, y'all! Hopefully for a long, long time. Wish me luck, I'm off to haul medical samples.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Zeth posted:

What makes people think that kind of thing is okay? To just...open up things that you havent paid for and mess around with them?

In my store we actually have people who get into the spray paint cans and give them a "test spray" on the shelf or floor, getting paint everywhere and on other merchandise. It's mind-boggling that anyone thinks this is okay.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I can't remember if I posted this a while back... but at one point a year ago, Bed, Bath, and Beyond decided they would start saving money by limiting shipments of supplies to our stores. They wanted it to be the same number of supplies to all stores.

They apparently based this amount off of stores that used far less supplies than some others did.

Now our location is at a mall. A big mall. A busy mall.

So what is the supply they limit us on? TOILET PAPER. We have bathrooms that are for the public. Our customers use them, some mall employees use them, customers that aren't shopping in our store use them, the corporate guys use them...

And suddenly we start getting half the amount of toilet paper we always have to order. The greatest part about this is when they start having to send people over to Walmart to buy packs of toilet paper because the bathrooms are almost out and we have no more toilet paper left.

I got to do this one day and it was great fun. Busiest time on Saturday, I had to drive out of the mall's insane parking lot, into Walmart's insane parking lot, and of course wait in Walmart's massive lines of idiots.

Oddly enough, the cheapest (per unit/length/whatever) toilet paper Walmart had was in little 4 roll packs. I felt odd bringing something like 20 of those up to the register.

---------

One other fun bathroom related thing however... Recently we had some customer break the door off of one of the women's bathroom stalls for God knows why. One of the managers placed the order for a new door and put a bunch of tape over the doorway with a big "OUT OF ORDER" sign in the middle.

One of our workers went into the bathroom one day and sees, sitting in the doorless stall, some asian lady taking a poo poo. The lady is looking in rage and strain at her as she comes in like: "HOW DARE YOU SEE ME LIKE THIS."

....Try using one of the other 3 stalls? Also thanks for tearing down all the tape and sign and leaving it on the floor.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
So the other day a woman comes in at around 9 AM to buy her daughter a bike. She picks one out, checks out, leaves.

About noon she comes back. The bike's training wheels are broken off and she wants a different bike. Not another of the same bike but a completely different model. The manager lets her exchange for a different bike and off she goes.

About 5PM she comes back AGAIN this time with the chain broken off the bike. She wants a 3rd model. What the gently caress? It's not like we sell the shittiest bikes in the world. Other customers don't have this problem. The bike is all scuffed up and has obviously been ridden and wrecked and scratched by pavement/gravel.

The manager says "No, I can put the chain back on but I won't give you a new bike. This one's been damaged all to hell" She demands another bike. He tells her no again and she says "Then give me my money!!" He says "You cant just ride a bike all day, beat it up and then return it." She demands her money again. Eventually he gives in and gives her a refund.

Is it just me or is there something weird about what this lady did? I feel like she was trying to pull something over on us by asking for a different bike each time. 3 Bikes in a day! I don't think I would have refunded the 2nd bike either. I would have told her it was too damaged and used for us to take back. Especially after they broke the first one in just a few hours.

Am I wrong about that? The whole thing just gave me a weird vibe.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Buggiezor posted:

Also we don't price match! Yes I understand some places do, but we are not Wal-mart!

An old post... but sometimes I like to go a few pages back and catch up on reading stuff when eating lunch or whatever.

My store does price match... but only brick and mortar stores. Yet we get people (usually Indians -_-) who come in and show some item on amazon that is $400, but selling for $250 (I assume it's used and from a seller probably but dunno) and get furious that we won't sell ours to them for that price. They'll also be like: "This is only for the red one can you give me the black one for that? WHY NOT!? YOU PRICE MATCH! NO YOU PRICE MATCH EVERYONE PRICE MATCH THIS!"

Some lady recently came in and wanted some item we had that was listed on overstock.com for half price. She repeated insisted one of our other stores does that ALL THE TIME for her. I wish I could've told her to go to the other store but she was already in this: "I'm ready to report you for not bowing to my will" mode. I think the thing she wanted was $500... but on overstock it was something like $280. She also wanted to have us to let her use a 20% off coupon on the matched price as well.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The bags. Dear god, the bags. Recently our city just repealed a law saying that all stores had to charge 5c for plastic bags. This only means that you are no longer obligated to. You are allowed to charge whatever you want for products you sell in your store, and bags are a product that we sell.

But the wonderful, wonderful customers at our store? You should see the shitstorms we get every ten minutes about this. And they all blame us cashiers. It's gotten so bad that we have to post notices up everywhere saying that yes, we can charge for bags, and yes, we've been doing so for 25 years, long before any laws went into place. Of course anyone who's going to lose their poo poo over 5 cents isn't going to read them.

Even the supervisors have gotten so sick of them that basically bitching about the bags is a free pass for the cashier to be a smartass. Almost all of them like to scream at us that what we're doing is illegal. "So bring a lawyer." Some of them ask why they don't get a choice. "You do have one. You can buy the bags, or you can not buy them." A lot of them ask where the money's going. "Towards my paycheque."

I wish I could actually get through to these people on why they're still saving money even if you buy a hundred bags at this store, or how it's not meant to raise money for the environment (???), it's supposed to deter you from filling landfills with them, or a thousand other things. But no, how dare a business try to make a profit off of things that they sell, the greedy bastards!

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Buggiezor posted:

So the other day a woman comes in at around 9 AM to buy her daughter a bike. She picks one out, checks out, leaves.

About noon she comes back. The bike's training wheels are broken off and she wants a different bike. Not another of the same bike but a completely different model. The manager lets her exchange for a different bike and off she goes.

About 5PM she comes back AGAIN this time with the chain broken off the bike. She wants a 3rd model. What the gently caress? It's not like we sell the shittiest bikes in the world. Other customers don't have this problem. The bike is all scuffed up and has obviously been ridden and wrecked and scratched by pavement/gravel.

The manager says "No, I can put the chain back on but I won't give you a new bike. This one's been damaged all to hell" She demands another bike. He tells her no again and she says "Then give me my money!!" He says "You cant just ride a bike all day, beat it up and then return it." She demands her money again. Eventually he gives in and gives her a refund.

Is it just me or is there something weird about what this lady did? I feel like she was trying to pull something over on us by asking for a different bike each time. 3 Bikes in a day! I don't think I would have refunded the 2nd bike either. I would have told her it was too damaged and used for us to take back. Especially after they broke the first one in just a few hours.

Woman with 3 kids and all of them have broken bikes. She buys a new one for the first daughter, returns the old one to the store saying it "broke". Demands another model, which just happens to match the model that her second daughter has. Returns with the second daughter's used bike saying that it "broke". Demands a third model to replace her third broken bike at home. When this is refused, flips her poo poo until she gets a refund.

Net gain: 2 free bikes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Buggiezor posted:

Customer has three old broken bikes, hatches scheme to replace them for free?
(On preview I see miryei guessed the same thing.)

I hate to be so paranoid about customers' motivations, but certainly I've had times when it appeared customers were trying to scam us for free poo poo. I try not to worry about it if a manager lets them get away with it. Not my decision, not my responsibility, not my money.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Customer has three old broken bikes, hatches scheme to replace them for free?
(On preview I see miryei guessed the same thing.)

I hate to be so paranoid about customers' motivations, but certainly I've had times when it appeared customers were trying to scam us for free poo poo. I try not to worry about it if a manager lets them get away with it. Not my decision, not my responsibility, not my money.

I just don't see a girl who's small enough to still need training wheels completely wrecking a bike in 2 hours of riding. Or less, a kid that young isn't going to ride for 2 hours straight with no breaks. Let alone doing it twice in a row.

You're not being paranoid, it's something that people legitimately do. Sometimes managers have their hands tied by company policy and can't stop the customer from getting away with it--I was actually friends with a manager from a previous job outside of work, and he loving hated it when he had to give someone a refund for something they stole.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Buggiezor posted:

As for why I no longer want to work in retail, we had ANOTHER group of customers last night hanging out 15 minutes after closing time. This happens all the time! We make 4 announcements! One at 15 minutes till close, one at 10, one at 5, and one telling everyone "We are now closed!"

Sadly, Bed, Bath, and Beyond policy is that we can NEVER make announcements that we are closing. A few managers I've been with have made announcements that the associates should come up to make their final purchases.. but that's as close as we get. Minus one manager who was cool and usually would make a closing announcement about 5 til. Thankfully he never got in trouble for it.

I've been there when we literally had customers stay in the store 50 minutes after the store closed. Hell, just last week there were 2 ladies that purchased their stuff about 20 after... walked to the door, stood there for a few minutes, then walked back into the store and looked around for another 20 minutes. The nice part was I forgot they were there, and while I worked in the back to get some things down... I got pissed at the ladder and yelled (with them maybe 15 feet away): "YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF poo poo!!!!!!!!" Sadly this didn't encourage them to leave.

quote:

How can these people be so self-centered that they don't care that they're in the store after hours and are keeping all the staff from being able to close the tills and go home? I won't even go into a restaurant if it's within 20 minutes of closing because I don't wanna eat in a rush and I don't want to be THAT PERSON who makes them stay late to serve me. Some people just have no consideration.
I've stayed late at a restaurant 2 or 3 times before... Like... 20-30 minutes late. My server got something like a ~40% tip almost for that (from me at least... one of the guys in the group I'm sure probably gave 10% or less for slowish service at one point... he's actually refused to tip many times so I hate going out to eat with him).

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Buggiezor posted:

This. My store is currently asking for donations from Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation. For those who don't know, it's a foundation that was created in honor of a young girl named Alex who made a lemonade stand to "raise money to help find a cure for all children with cancer." After she passed, people carried on her stand and it became a Cancer Research Foundation.

High-five, ALS goon! I do this every year, volunteer work. Even ended up on the local news as I was dressed as a giant lemon. However, this ends up bring out the worst in customers, its almost a 50/50 split. And we go above and beyond, by popping popcorn, serving cookies, face painting, even handing out fake tattoos and arm bracelets. It's amazing the amount of people that will walk by, each of their 17 children get lemonade, arm bracelets, popcorn, etc, and still gawk/bitch/moan/whine/swear (yes, swear. In front of their children, no less) when we ask for a donation. I'm sure if one of their children get cancer, knock on wood that they don't, they would be asking for all the tea in China and then some.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

miryei posted:

Woman with 3 kids and all of them have broken bikes. She buys a new one for the first daughter, returns the old one to the store saying it "broke". Demands another model, which just happens to match the model that her second daughter has. Returns with the second daughter's used bike saying that it "broke". Demands a third model to replace her third broken bike at home. When this is refused, flips her poo poo until she gets a refund.

Net gain: 2 free bikes.

This seems to be the most likely explanation, but personally? If I had a couple of kids who managed to completely destroy bikes to that degree, they wouldn't be getting new ones, free or otherwise.

As I've mentioned before, I used to work for Chick-fil-A. We had a lady who'd come in every Wednesday, at almost exactly the same time, and order the same thing. A #1 (which is an original fried chicken sandwich with two pickles, and waffle fries) with a Coke with a shitload of Polynesian sauce. Every loving time, she'd eat it, all of it, throw her trash away (at least she cleaned up after herself), and march right up to the counter and complain loudly about how gross it was, and demand a refund. This being Chick-fil-A, where customer is king, she would usually get part or all of it refunded, or a coupon, depending on which manager was handling the complaint.

Now, if we were a location that had more employees, like the bigger CFA in the next town over, this might have worked indefinitely. That CFA has around 40-50 employees, with probably 15 people on deck at any given time. Our CFA had about 15 employees total, many of us with set schedules, so it wasn't long until we noticed a pattern, and we all knew her face and her routine. Finally, a manager named Heather, who'd go back and forth between being awesome and being the bane of my existence, had enough of her bullshit and says to her, "Ma'am, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your meal today. However, I've noticed that you visit us quite often, and that you always get the same thing, and you always find your meal unsatisfactory. I think you might better find another restaurant to patronize, since we cannot live up to your standards."

I was absolutely floored. I couldn't believe she said that, or that the woman actually nodded, left, and never returned. I'm glad she did, though, because no one else would say anything for fear of losing our jobs. Heather's the boss' sister-in-law, so she didn't have anything to worry about.

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003

silversiren posted:

I'm a little late on this but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I spent summers working in a factory back when I was in college and once inadvertantly reported sexual harassment on a couple of the guys I worked with. The end result was that I didn't work directly with those guys and they were told to leave me alone, and that was that. The handful of women I worked with were surprised I did it, and earned their respect for it. I know factory isn't retail, but the idea that they won't want a lawsuit is still the same.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Rabidbunny posted:

I'm a little late on this but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I spent summers working in a factory back when I was in college and once inadvertantly reported sexual harassment on a couple of the guys I worked with. The end result was that I didn't work directly with those guys and they were told to leave me alone, and that was that. The handful of women I worked with were surprised I did it, and earned their respect for it. I know factory isn't retail, but the idea that they won't want a lawsuit is still the same.

Except when you're working in a factory you're not working in a massive chain of factories that has hilariously high turnover and hilariously low brain requirements, in a retail establishment there is a fair likelihood that the manager immediately above you will not only not give a gently caress about a lawsuit, but they might not even think about it if someone doesn't specifically mention it. Those same types of managers are the ones that are likely to want to be left alone and not do any managing, and as such as likely to make the situation worse for the person bothering them rather than the person at fault.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Brut posted:

Except when you're working in a factory you're not working in a massive chain of factories that has hilariously high turnover and hilariously low brain requirements, in a retail establishment there is a fair likelihood that the manager immediately above you will not only not give a gently caress about a lawsuit, but they might not even think about it if someone doesn't specifically mention it. Those same types of managers are the ones that are likely to want to be left alone and not do any managing, and as such as likely to make the situation worse for the person bothering them rather than the person at fault.

I thought it was more of a "If I have to file a report my bosses will think I'm a bad boss" sort of deal.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The General posted:

I thought it was more of a "If I have to file a report my bosses will think I'm a bad boss" sort of deal.

Their boss is their uncle they don't care what he thinks.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
The nerve of some people who waste my time for nothing.

So today a man came in asking if we had any complete watercolor gift sets that included not just the paints but also stuff like papers and an easel. I told him we did not, but I that I was more than happy to help him pick out the supplies to make his own. The man declined and told me that he'll look elsewhere, but will return if he couldn't find what he wanted at other stores.

About 20 minutes later the phone rings, and it's the watercolor man telling me to go on and pick out whatever I think will make a nice watercolor gift set within his price range, and he'll be there to pick it up later that afternoon. It was a very slow day today so I didn't mind being his personal shopper since it gave me something to do. I spent at least an hour carefully reviewing which products will give him the best bang for his buck and made several calculations to make sure everything was within his budget. I collected his supplies and placed them behind the counter for when he returned. A while later, I went out for my lunch break.

When I came back, my coworker told me the watercolor man stopped by while I was gone only to not buy anything! He refused them all and left because he wanted literally everything to fit inside the box easel (a storage case with an attached easel, or vice versa) he was interested in earlier. Other items included included a block of watercolor paper and the paints (which was a gift pack of like 10 tubes, a brush, and fold-out palettes). How would he know anyway which items would fit or not? And if he really wanted to present everything inside the box easel, if he took apart the paint set pretty much everything I provided for him except for the papers would have fit. Or you know, go find a large enough box to fit everything in? Or even better, do your own drat shopping and pick out your own loving supplies.

But no. He didn't want any of the items at all. Because they weren't right. :rolleyes:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

MaxDuo posted:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond is like every other retail business and corporate has no idea what it's like pounding the ground so they can't make closing announcements.

This is the biggest loving horseshit I've ever seen. I doubt the average customer shopping that late at night at BBB buys enough to break even on the extra wages.

Unless Christopher Walken's in the back. That reminds me, I know it came out like 6 years ago, but do you ever get people asking if you sell the remote from that movie?

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
We have two announcements that come on automatically at 5 minutes till close and again when we close. But the woman in the announcement is so quiet most people don't even hear it. It's quieter than the music we're playing so it really just sounds like the store goes quiet for a minute. I think technically we're not supposed to make announcements but none of the managers care so we do anyway. The intercom is so much louder than the automatic message that it really does a much better job alerting people that we're closing.

Attention, Attention all Toys R Us guests, the time is now ___ and your Toys R Us store will be closing in ___ minutes. Please make your final decisions and bring them up front for a quick an easy checkout. Once again the time is now ___ and your Toys R Us store will be closing in ___ minutes. Thank you!

How can you just ignore all of that? 4+ times! Sometimes I go up to someone in person after close and say "Can I help you find something? We're shutting down the registers soon." and I get "OH You're CLOSED?!" :v:

This is very trivial but I also hate when a manager refunds an item that was bought online that we don't have in store, then tells us lowly floor associates to put all the reshop/returns/out of place merch back where it goes. There's no place for this!

Also we have a man who runs the register at the service desk some nights and refuses to help put stuff back where it goes. We can have like 4 carts of reshop that we have to do before we can go home at night and he'll just stand up there at the service desk and watch all the floor associates scurry around. Even the other cashiers help! his excuse is "I don't know where any of that goes." You've worked here like 4 years at LEAST! loving learn!

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 18, 2012

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
My favorite thing about closing time is the people who rush in literally 5 minutes before closing but oh it's okay we only need like two things and we'll be out of your hair. Of course they're gonna take more than 5 minutes. Every single time.

The most ridiculous is when we've closed up and locked the doors and we still have people coming up and knocking on the doors and trying to pry them open despite the big fat sign directly in front of their face saying the store's closed.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Drakkel posted:

The most ridiculous is when we've closed up and locked the doors and we still have people coming up and knocking on the doors and trying to pry them open despite the big fat sign directly in front of their face saying the store's closed.

When I was in retail management, there were times I had to call the cops to get rid of people raging and beating on the doors because we wouldn't re-open the store for them 30 minutes after closing.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

OneTruePecos posted:

When I was in retail management, there were times I had to call the cops to get rid of people raging and beating on the doors because we wouldn't re-open the store for them 30 minutes after closing.

Wtf, where did you work?

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Around early December we had someone force their way into our store about 30 minutes after close. We were supposed to extend our hours starting that night but the managers had the week wrong. But our automated phone message said "open till 11"

At 10:30 we are all cleaning up the store and the manager on duty had deactivated the doors and locked the entrance doors on the front of the building but not locked the exit doors over around the front corner. We were cleaning up from the Christmas madness earlier that day and suddenly we hear "Hey! Are you going to help us?!" Everyone freaked out because the guys had literally grabbed the deactivated doors and forced them open. They were high out of their minds and yelled at us for closing early. At the time we hadn't realized our hours were supposed to change so the Manager threatened them with the cops and yelled at them to get out.

The next morning the Store Manager got a call from corporate and they were very mad we had closed early and the customers had called and complained. It was scary stuff though, and from then on the Manager who was on duty that night always remembered to lock ALL the doors.

Also its pretty common especially around the holidays for people to bang on our doors. Nobody tried to force them open until that night though.

:supaburn: "MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW!!! LET ME IN! MUST BUY TOYS!"
It's loving 11:15PM! Don't wait till the last minute the night before, rear end in a top hat.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The plaza I work in (Ok, outdoor mall. Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) recently had an event to celebrate the 4th. Two hilarious things happened with regard to that:
1) Some guy came in, almost yelling at us because the airbrush tattoo guy set up outside our store (hired by the mall, but set up within spitting distance of us) was about to close up, and his kid hadn't gotten a tattoo or something. This guy was pissed and basically demanding that we "do something about this", so we called mall security. Apparently, the mall security's response was "Good luck with that".

2) We closed at 9:30, our usual time. Some fireworks started at about 9:35, finishing at let's say 10, as we were finishing cleaning up and were tooling around the store, making sure everything was done. As I cleaned the cashwrap and feature sections, no fewer than 10 people try to open the door. A few tried the door, then looked at me with this hurt expression in their eyes, like somehow I was going to open it for them. I simply pointed at the sign with our hours and went back to work.

Taco Pirate
Jun 3, 2011
Christmas Eve the store I work at closes early, at like 7 PM. There's still a ton of shoppers at that point, so getting them out the door takes extra time, and people always try to sneak in while we are letting customers out.

My managers are extremely gung-ho about locking up (some of them even do it early) so this "forgetting to lock up" business is completely foreign to me, but we definitely get people banging on the doors after we're closed, or bringing $350 worth of clothes (which is a lot of stuff at the cheap store I work at) to the register at 9:59 PM, taking a really long amount of time to ring them out and bag everything. My favorite are the people who are like "Oh I'm SOOO sorry to be here so late! I feel SOOOoooOOOoo bad!!!1" Well then ... instead of being a douche who is forcing us to delay closing up just for your special rear end, why don't you put the stuff on hold and come back tomorrow morning ...?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Shnooks posted:

Wtf, where did you work?

You would be amazed. This happened all the time when I worked at Hasting. I think it has a lot to do with the area its in and the general culture of the area. This town was and is still getting worse when it comes to gang violence and as much as I hate to use the word "ghetto" like.

People would bang on the doors, kick at them and basically try to rip them open all the time yelling and cussing at us. The gas station I work at now in a small town? People may knock and wave at the most or just see the doors locked and leave.

I try to let people in as often as I can so they can use the restroom or grab a drink. If the tills closed I just do the math with the tax and see if they have the cash for it.
'

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The parking lot outside our store is a popular spot to watch the fireworks, so on the 4th we put up a big sign saying "bathrooms out of order" so people wouldn't keep barging in while we were trying to close. There was one guy who was amazingly offended by this and walked around the whole store asking every employee he could find why they were out of order. You'd think if you had to go that bad you'd immediately go find some other store with a bathroom as opposed to spending 45 minutes investigating why one isn't available.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

D34THROW posted:

This is the biggest loving horseshit I've ever seen. I doubt the average customer shopping that late at night at BBB buys enough to break even on the extra wages.

Some of them are actually suspected thieves / scammers :smith:

quote:

That reminds me, I know it came out like 6 years ago, but do you ever get people asking if you sell the remote from that movie?

Oddly I haven't heard any of those references as a question for maybe a year now. :confused: But I still hear people walk in and say stuff like: "HAY LETS LOOK FOR THAT REMOTE THAT CONTROLS TIME"

But for about my first 3 years... it was a regular occurrence each week. There was some point where we got some prank call about the Beyond section every day. I remember one day one worker and I were putting several things into topstock, when some kids who were maybe 14 came up and : "Hey an you guys help us? Where's the BEYOND SECTION?! HEE HEE HEE HEE HEEEHEEHEEHEE HEE"

There was another nice time when we used to sell a few gag remotes (giant remotes) and some lady called our store asking about remotes. When they gave her to me, she started telling me this big story about how she had a man coming over for a hot date and she didn't have enough time to put her face on and do everything to get ready. Said she wanted the remote to control time so she could pause it and give herself enough time to get ready. I think my response was: "You should go after guys who will like you even if you're ugly. That remote only exists for Adam Sandler anyway." And then I hung up. Fun times. I think she took about 5 minutes of my time with this call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Someone over in the Comic Strip Megathread made this:

Fake edit: the original strip is from Tina's Groove.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 18, 2012