Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I ordered a Galaxy S II on sprint.com to replace my Pre that is about to die. I did this because some local stores didn't have it and a bigger store is always ridiculously busy when I am off work.

UPS said the phone was delivered to my front door but it wasn't there when I got home. I have no idea if it was stolen or just not delivered or what.

I am about to call Sprint Customer service later (or at least try because my handset is really hosed up right now, which is why I am getting a new phone). Does anyone have any experience with this and the likely result? I really don't want to burn an upgrade and $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I ordered a Galaxy S II on sprint.com to replace my Pre that is about to die. I did this because some local stores didn't have it and a bigger store is always ridiculously busy when I am off work.

UPS said the phone was delivered to my front door but it wasn't there when I got home. I have no idea if it was stolen or just not delivered or what.

I am about to call Sprint Customer service later (or at least try because my handset is really hosed up right now, which is why I am getting a new phone). Does anyone have any experience with this and the likely result? I really don't want to burn an upgrade and $200.

I can't imagine you'd be on the hook for the price of the phone or your upgrade if you didn't receive it. Call Sprint and tell them what happened. You didn't sign for it so I can't see how you're responsible for it.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Nevermind, it was delivered to the wrong apartment, as in just left on the front porch. Luckily that person was nice enough drop it off at my apartment's office this morning.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
What am I missing about the way "Sprint repair centers" work? My buddy dropped his Arrive and the screen cracked, but the phone worked fine still. So I told him to try a Sprint repair center because I've heard they replace screens sometimes. They tell him sorry, that's a $100 Assurion deal. So he pays it, gets a refurb, and then half a year later he plugs in his recharger and the port pushes inside the device and breaks. Once again, sorry that's an Assurion replacement. What exactly will a repair center fix!? Is it just a matter of they carry two parts for only the top three devices or something? He said the first Arrive was perfect, the refurb though was a bit rickety in several places and now he's afraid to shell out another $100.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ease posted:

I'm also having weird touchscreen problems and ghost touches on my 3d. It happens on any rom I'm on, but I almost think it only started when I installed boot manager.

I'm getting pretty frustrated waiting for cm9, and also want to jump ship or get the nexus when it comes out.

I'm having this issue as well. I brought it in to the local repair center and all they did was reset the phone after running some 'diagnostics'.

The problem has returned and I'm not sure what my next course of actions should be.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

OldPueblo posted:

What am I missing about the way "Sprint repair centers" work? My buddy dropped his Arrive and the screen cracked, but the phone worked fine still. So I told him to try a Sprint repair center because I've heard they replace screens sometimes. They tell him sorry, that's a $100 Assurion deal. So he pays it, gets a refurb, and then half a year later he plugs in his recharger and the port pushes inside the device and breaks. Once again, sorry that's an Assurion replacement. What exactly will a repair center fix!? Is it just a matter of they carry two parts for only the top three devices or something? He said the first Arrive was perfect, the refurb though was a bit rickety in several places and now he's afraid to shell out another $100.

It seems that USB ports are indestructable and any defects or short lifespan can only be caused by clutzy "customers". Your friend is horrible and does not deserve nice things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What irks me about companies like HTC that have an extensive stable of phones in market, yet are experiencing sales slumps, is that there is a relatively dedicated if not substantial market to be cracked open by developing either a stock alternate ROM or AOSP-friendly drivers released to developers, in parallel with their customizations.

Sell the phone with sense or whatever, make the stock rom or drivers available, you probably will be hailed as the second coming on XDA.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

It's not a matter of parts, because if it's repairable if we don't have parts we order a replacement at no charge. Because we sure as he'll don't have parts for the arrive.

TEP or Total Equipment Protection is two services in one: sprint repair services and asuriom insurance. The idea is basically anything deemed repairable is covered by sprint at no extra cost, and when it isn't deemed repairable asurion coverage is there.

What you are running into is bad luck and problems that are on the Grey area of repairable vs non repairable. For better or worse, if the screen has more than two inch on cracks it is no repairable. Doesn't matter if the phone works fine, the screen is one of the most expensive parts. Basically, if you can't cover the crack with a quarter (Spiderwebs are bad). In the same way, if the charging port is pulled off to where a good portions of the pins are ripped off the board, that is beyond repair. So sometimes charger port problems are covered, sometimes they have a deductible. Depends on the damage.

Refurbs are hit or miss, honestly I personally have had multiple and they have been fine, but it's not always the case.

It's a tricky subject and a balance that's hard to uphold. Some techs are pickier than others. In the end a good portion of repairs are covered, but unfortunately not everything.

It's worth noting sprint is the only wireless carrier even willing to do repairs in store and has repair centers (from what I understand Verizon only swaps phones).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My Evo 3D stopped receiving calls today. Like, callers would hear ringing until it went to voicemail, but the phone itself would never register a call. Text messages were fine and I could call out, just couldn't receive calls.

I called Sprint from my wife's phone and they had me reset some stuff and basically reactivate my line. While I waited for all that, the support guy asked me if I'd installed anything recently. I said that I installed the most recent update, and he said "oh, you mean the ice cream sandwich update?"

I guess that's a step up from the last Sprint person I talked to who didn't know what ICS was, but still, wtf. There isn't a phone on Sprint that has official ICS yet is there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

My Evo 3D stopped receiving calls today. Like, callers would hear ringing until it went to voicemail, but the phone itself would never register a call. Text messages were fine and I could call out, just couldn't receive calls.

I called Sprint from my wife's phone and they had me reset some stuff and basically reactivate my line. While I waited for all that, the support guy asked me if I'd installed anything recently. I said that I installed the most recent update, and he said "oh, you mean the ice cream sandwich update?"

I guess that's a step up from the last Sprint person I talked to who didn't know what ICS was, but still, wtf. There isn't a phone on Sprint that has official ICS yet is there?

Nope. The 3D will probably be the first (unless Samsuhahahaha like they'll release an update for the SGS2E4GT) but maybe the rep was baiting you into admitting you rooted/flashed :tinfoil:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

What irks me about companies like HTC that have an extensive stable of phones in market, yet are experiencing sales slumps, is that there is a relatively dedicated if not substantial market to be cracked open by developing either a stock alternate ROM or AOSP-friendly drivers released to developers, in parallel with their customizations.

Sell the phone with sense or whatever, make the stock rom or drivers available, you probably will be hailed as the second coming on XDA.

That's because it's a tiny market not work pursuing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

Nope. The 3D will probably be the first (unless Samsuhahahaha like they'll release an update for the SGS2E4GT) but maybe the rep was baiting you into admitting you rooted/flashed :tinfoil:

I would think the Nexus S 4G would be the first Sprint phone to get it. Either way, it was a weird conversation. Oh, and the reactivation fixed the problem of receiving calls, which in and of itself was pretty bizarre.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

brc64 posted:

That happened to me a couple months ago (the error 16 thing that some people had happen immediately after rooting, except I hadn't done anything to my phone in a while). I had to flash back to a Sense ROM, let them run their reactivation thing, and then leave it until the next day for it to actually get sent out. I still don't know what caused it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

I would think the Nexus S 4G would be the first Sprint phone to get it.

I'm starting to think the Nexus S 4G won't get ICS until the GNex releases.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

goku chewbacca posted:

Even with the change in discount structure, using my discount of 23% as an example, it's still cheaper to keep a 2 line Everything Data family plan thn have 2 discounted singe line plans.

Currently it looks like this: $129.99*(0.77)=$100.09 +$10data(x2 lines)=$120.09
Discount only on line 1: $110*(0.77)=$84.70+19.99=$104.69+$10(x2 lines)=$124.69
Two individual lines: $69.99*(x2 lines)*(0.77)=$107.78 +$10(x2 lines) =$127.78

EDIT:
Did some Everything Plus Referral Plan math for people that are shopping. With the discount structure change, you would need ~15% larger discount to continue to break even with EPRP family plans.
code:
1 line EPRP: $59.99          +$10 data      = $69.99    14.3% discount
2 line EPRP: $109.99         +$10(x2 lines) = $129.99   18.2% discount (old was 15.4%)
3 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99   +$10(x3 lines) = $154.98   22.7% discount (old was 19.2%)
4 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99*2 +$10(x4 lines) = $179.97   27.3% discount (old was 23.1%)
5 line EPRP: $109.99+14.99*3 +$10(x5 lines) = $204.96   31.8% discount (old was 26.9%)

How are you getting discounts on EPRP lines? I just grabbed the $109+$20 for two lines, and when I tried to add my AAA discount, they said that EPRP lines are ineligible for a discount?! I was extremely pissed, as I just switched from ATT and the rep I spoke with said it would be no problem to add a discount to the plan.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

How are you getting discounts on EPRP lines? I just grabbed the $109+$20 for two lines, and when I tried to add my AAA discount, they said that EPRP lines are ineligible for a discount?! I was extremely pissed, as I just switched from ATT and the rep I spoke with said it would be no problem to add a discount to the plan.
He's not; those calculations just show what discount (off of a regular plan) each EPRP rate is equivalent to. (eg. a discount >14.3% beats eprp for a single line)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Heh, called up to find out my ETF for Sprint the other day, at the time I was shopping around for a new carrier. Guy I talked to told me the number and didn't bother with any sort of retentions at all. Then he asked, "you switching to another carrier?" I told him maybe, and he said "Man, hope you find something better out there, good luck!" and hung up.

Kind of bizarre.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

What was the guess-date for GNex? April? I guess I can tough it out with my Epic4G a while longer :unsmith:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
If you have a family plan with a corporate discount on Sprint, you may be able to get out of contract without an ETF because of the plan structure changes. There are reports of people calling in and getting their contracts waived.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TurboLuvah posted:

Sucks but unfortunately that dude was wrong, there is no way to discount eprp.

rock2much posted:

What was the guess-date for GNex? April? I guess I can tough it out with my Epic4G a while longer :unsmith:

No idea.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mark Larson posted:

If you have a family plan with a corporate discount on Sprint, you may be able to get out of contract without an ETF because of the plan structure changes. There are reports of people calling in and getting their contracts waived.

Eh, already switched to T-Mobile and they covered my ETFs anyway. I wasn't on a family plan, unfortunately, nor corporate discount :(

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Saw this today, its relevant for people who are interested in getting around an ETF.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3839688-SPRINT-Changing-T-C-again-Feb2012-Get-out-of-Contract-ETF-free

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So Sam's Club is offering cell phone warranties in partnership with SquareTrade:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/17/4193783/sams-club-launches-a-new-approach.html

Any thoughts on this, specifically how it compares to Sprint/Asurion TEP?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lovie Unsmith posted:

So Sam's Club is offering cell phone warranties in partnership with SquareTrade:

Squaretrade is pretty awesome as far as warranties on the poo poo I buy on Amazon goes, from the article it seems like the terms dictated by Sam's/Squaretrade on that plan are a little more harsh than what I've seen on Amazon.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Saw this today, its relevant for people who are interested in getting around an ETF.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3839688-SPRINT-Changing-T-C-again-Feb2012-Get-out-of-Contract-ETF-free

Okay so this kind of thing is new'ish to me, can I get a tl;dr on what you can and can't do? Basically I'm considering switching to AT&T for the Lumia 900, but it's not out till March. Do these "policy change" things expire, as in if you haven't left Sprint by X date then you automatically agree to the terms because you paid your next bill, etc?

EDIT: Nevermind! http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=46982444&postcount=78 Looks like the cutoff date is Feb 10th.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Lower deductible but you lose the free in-store repairs when a full replacement isn't needed for faulty hardware.

Is Sprint still doing in-store warranty replacement or is that back to being direct with the manufacturer?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Huh, interesting to see people have success with that being that it's not a change to the contract.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

datajosh posted:

Huh, interesting to see people have success with that being that it's not a change to the contract.

I just finished reading the thread and as far as can tell it is (I am also dumb so who knows). People keep making it about the discount but it's more about this change:

The second line is no longer included in the family plan, it's now you do one line and all others are added on. A petty change to note, but still a change right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there any reason to consider Squaretrade on an iPhone 4S over Applecare+? It seems like it's nearly identical to Applecare+ except that Squaretrade has a deductible on all claims.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If they grandfather you into the discount then it's not a change...if they don't then it absolutly is.

I'm always surprised that they don't just make a change going forward. To retroactivly change your contract like that seems like it shouldn't even be possible without redress, otherwise what's to stop them from just saying that your plan now has a $25 gently caress you fee, the monthly rate is doubled, and the ETF is now $1,000.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

OldPueblo posted:

I just finished reading the thread and as far as can tell it is (I am also dumb so who knows). People keep making it about the discount but it's more about this change:

The second line is no longer included in the family plan, it's now you do one line and all others are added on. A petty change to note, but still a change right?
Oh yeah, re-reading that it kinda sounds that way. Gonna have to talk to my wife because having LTE and ICS right now would be kinda sweet.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

datajosh posted:

Oh yeah, re-reading that it kinda sounds that way. Gonna have to talk to my wife because having LTE and ICS right now would be kinda sweet.

I like the idea of switching to Verizon's network, but not paying Verizon's costs and having data caps. Although it keeps looking like Sprint will eventually go that way anyway...

I want to know more about this 800 MHz rollout..
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollout-will-drop-your-jaw/

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

:stare:

Now... Will we need different devices to take advantage of that, or will my EVO 3D (if I still have it at that point in time) be able to take advantage of such a thing?

Edit: not the LTE portion of the article, but the better 3G coverage at 800mhz I mean.

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 19, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

I like the idea of switching to Verizon's network, but not paying Verizon's costs and having data caps. Although it keeps looking like Sprint will eventually go that way anyway...

I want to know more about this 800 MHz rollout..
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollout-will-drop-your-jaw/

the nickel and dime horseshit is pretty much all that's keeping me from switching. Luckily I don't have a family plan and would still be hosed for an extra 20 or 30 bucks every month with Verizon unless I go all Jainist on my usage and expectations of plan features.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

ThermoPhysical posted:

What exactly is the holdup? What does Sprint need to do to make ICS work on one of Google's own phones?

I want my ICS :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

900ftjesus posted:

Lower deductible but you lose the free in-store repairs when a full replacement isn't needed for faulty hardware.

Is Sprint still doing in-store warranty replacement or is that back to being direct with the manufacturer?

Honestly, with older phones like the Evo and Nexus being 'good enough,' I'm not even sure why people bother with insurance at this point. The $100 deductible is pretty killer, let alone the monthly cost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Yes, sprint still does repairs in house. To me the tech part is pretty good, especially for normal people. We actually do repairs whether it is warranty or not, the only thing that warranty matters for is if you want to go through the manufacturer and if you need a replacement battery (batteries are not covered by TEP). More often than not its fixable/replaceable, its just major damage that requires a deduct able. I would agree that the standards for the screen to be repairable are absurd.

If someone doesn't have TEP, repairs are $35, and we will still do them in or out of warranty.

And even once you hit a deductible most people are simply unwilling to buy off eBay or Craigslist, I honestly tell people all the time and they just opt for insurance.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I called yesterday, and the nice lady was ready to cancel and waive the ETF if I wanted to. I asked what my cutoff date was, and it's 30 days from my next bill. She also gave me a no strings attached 25$ credit on my next 3 bills. That is pretty rad.

I was ready to switch to Verizon, and get a pair of nexuses until I actually looked at their pricing. gently caress that. If I ever made a switch, it would be to T-Mobile, but I'm pretty sure their service sucks just as much as sprints around here.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Honestly, with older phones like the Evo and Nexus being 'good enough,' I'm not even sure why people bother with insurance at this point. The $100 deductible is pretty killer, let alone the monthly cost.

Absolutely agree about the Evo and Nexus S, they're too cheap used to even bother with TEP.

I carry TEP on brand new phones at launch for a few months until used phones drop enough to be reasonable replacements if I drop/water damage anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't for get as well that most major credit cards offer purchase protection, many for 90 days.

For my recent example. I bought a Droid Razr on 11/23 and broke it on 1/6 (I hesitate to say I broke it since the screen cracked in my pocket with no bunt force trauma to the device, but that's another story.) I then bought a Galaxy Nexus at $649 full retail.

American express should give me the $299 + Tax subsidized price (around $310) back and I should be able to sell a parts only Razr for around $100.

That makes my Galaxy Nexus cost me around $250 which is the price of a decent used phone.

Honestly though, in the future, I may just buy my phone at full retail and then buy a subsidized phone that has the highest resale value (likely an iPhone) and sell it right away. That way if my phone gets destroyed in the first 90 days, I'll get the full purchase price back from AMEX.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 19, 2012