Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress yeah, that show ruled. I like when the swing kid made it over the bar and ascended and the kids made a cult religion around it, but the kid really just went home.

My favourite one was:

Edit: It's on YouTube and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mostly saw the Disney Afternoon stuff as reruns on the Disney Channel UK a few years after they'd originally been on. I liked Darkwing Duck a lot but my favourite Disney cartoon when I was a kid was Recess.

Recess was loving great. Not many kids show throw in a "battleship potemkin" reference in an episode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Talespin was like an anime gateway drug. Replace most of the Jungle Book animals with thin androgynous character models with different colours of spiky hair and it's like nothing else has to be different at all for it to work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure I even went to see the Recess movie in the cinema.

I know I got my dad to take me to see the Hey Arnold movie in the cinema and I was really disappointed by it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure I even went to see the Recess movie in the cinema.

I know I got my dad to take me to see the Hey Arnold movie in the cinema and I was really disappointed by it.

What the hell, this was a thing???

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It sure was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Recess was when I realized kids' cartoons were becoming bad, and we entered that hellzone where every cartoon was about kids going to school.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Recess was when I realized kids' cartoons were becoming bad, and we entered that hellzone where every cartoon was about kids going to school.

You're thinking of anime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

You're thinking of anime

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Some of those were good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy never went to school. :confused:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Some of those were good.

I'm sure some of them were, but I wanted to watch Aladdin or some kind of space adventures.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

anyamine.jpg

Not like they can both be poo poo!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I got a feeling that these could all be traced back to Doug.

As far as cartoons, Cartoon Network was soaring during the 90's with Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Cow and Chicken.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Are some of those like dirty Canadian knock-off shows, because I only recognize 4 of 'em.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

I got a feeling that these could all be traced back to Doug.

Something I'm really curious about : do people on the Internet hate Doug? Because I remember I liked Doug when I was little (both the Nick and Disney versions) and then a few years ago, I started getting the impression that people loving hate Doug.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something I'm really curious about : do people on the Internet hate Doug? Because I remember I liked Doug when I was little (both the Nick and Disney versions) and then a few years ago, I started getting the impression that people loving hate Doug.

I liked Doug just fine when I was like 5 but I can't imagine I'd enjoy watching it now. It was a terribly slow show with a lame sense of humor and asinine life lessons like "trying new foods is ok".

redbackground posted:

Are some of those like dirty Canadian knock-off shows, because I only recognize 4 of 'em.

Probably.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think it's way more likely that you just grew up than kids shows suddenly became poo poo. I have the same line in the sand drawn right behind Rocko's Modern Life, and stuff like Angry Beavers or Hey Arnold did nothing for me. But I have encountered people who are a bit older than I am who have that line between Ren and Stimpy and Rocko. There's people younger with fond memories of all this poo poo. Everything is relative.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I think it's way more likely that you just grew up than kids shows suddenly became poo poo. I have the same line in the sand drawn right behind Rocko's Modern Life, and stuff like Angry Beavers or Hey Arnold did nothing for me. But I have encountered people who are a bit older than I am who have that line between Ren and Stimpy and Rocko. There's people younger with fond memories of all this poo poo. Everything is relative.

Well yeah. And like I said my problem was that I was into imaginative, adventure-focused stuff and there was suddenly an over-abundance of shows set in very mundane "kids going to school" settings that I specifically turned to escapist fiction to... escape from. I'd grown up watching Darkwing Duck, Maya the Bee, Bumbo the talking car, Aladdin, and other shows like it, I had very little interest in something like Recess.

Although I will fight to the death on the hill that Rocket Power was a very bad show.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I was to old when all this wave of shows came on the air. But. Recess I remember watching as I was older and it had jokes for adults in it and I think I was watching for that. Not the kids playing at school.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah I also watched Sailor Moon as a kid. That was a good show.

Please don't tell Games that I like an anime.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best cartoon the Disney Channel had in the 90s was Gargoyles, of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah I also watched Sailor Moon as a kid. That was a good show.

One thing I remember about Sailor Moon was that all the adverts for it made it out to be a kind of Dragon Ball Z action show, because Cartoon Network got DBZ and it was hugely popular and everyone else decided they wanted a piece of it (I remember Nickelodeon doing exactly the same thing with this other show called CardCaptors).

Another thing I remember about Sailor Moon is that I thought it was some kind of weird Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon, because Sabrina is a blonde girl with magic powers and a talking black cat, while the main character in Sailor Moon was called "Serena" in the English dub who was a blonde girl with magic powers and a talking black cat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I remember about Sailor Moon was that all the adverts for it made it out to be a kind of Dragon Ball Z action show, because Cartoon Network got DBZ and it was hugely popular and everyone else decided they wanted a piece of it (I remember Nickelodeon doing exactly the same thing with this other show called CardCaptors).

I watched the original run, well before the DBZ wrestling audience revival you're talking about.

The early 90s dub stopped before the season which had lesbians in it, which may or may not be because it had lesbians in it. Then when the show got brought back when anime was blowing up and a different company dubbed those later seasons, they made the lesbian couple "cousins" to explain why they're always together and why they care so strongly about each other. It was pretty sickening, really.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 19, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy never went to school. :confused:

They did towards the end of the run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Savidudeosoo posted:

They did towards the end of the run.

Fair enough, I'd long since lost interest by that point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rocko's Modern Life is good because they got this in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I didn't watch it much because I'd aged out but didn't Hey Arnold have some really dark stuff in it? Like orphans, street people, poverty, muggings, etc?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My brother and I both had a reflexive revulsion to Rocket Power and The Weekenders, I think there was a particular height/width ratio to their awful faces that was like the visual equivalent of curdled milk to us.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

I'm a child of the 70s/80s and most 90s cartoons leave me cold (with some exceptions, like The Tick and Powerpuff Girls). I find Rugrats and stuff like Cow and Chicken that tries to ape the Kricfalusi sstyle repellent to watch. So yeah, tastes change.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Gonna take this opportunity to plug my video about Hey Arnold and its diversity and adult themes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC11j6_J7ME&t=1s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I didn't watch it much because I'd aged out but didn't Hey Arnold have some really dark stuff in it? Like orphans, street people, poverty, muggings, etc?

That didn't make it not boring.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/865424030710415361

Vincent d'Onofrio is a good Twitter follow, btw.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Endless Mike posted:

Rocko's Modern Life is good because they got this in.

To be fair, at least one in every three Rocko episodes had something in it that definitely shouldn't have gotten past the S&P board. at least.

I'm too old to have watched Recess. I only watched one episode I can remember, on a boring saturday visiting my mom. They had a plot where the younger kids got the main cast into what was obviously supposed to be pokemon cards, and of course they got hooked on it. And eventually they see the light and realize that as kids they should be playing on the recess equipment and playing ball and stuff, not wasting their time on this game. It was so ridiculously passive-aggressive of a swipe by disney of the phenom they didn't have an involvement in, and the end message really felt like old people sitting on a porch not trusting kids these days because they aren't playing hopscotch or chasing a hoop with a stick like they did. I'm glad I didn't watch the show after that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

prefect posted:

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/865424030710415361

Vincent d'Onofrio is a good Twitter follow, btw.

Awesome. The latest issue of Secret Empire has a scene made for him.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

He did confirm that rescue rangers started as literally Magnum PI with cartoons, when they sat down to write they said, "well we cant have them doing drugs" so the added other things to make it what it became. Its just interesting to me that the base wasn't The Rescuers, or Indian Jones, loving Magnum PI was the foundation!

Makes sense to me. Magnum PI was one of America's biggest cultural trends during the time period in which Rescue Rangers was in development. If you're going to spoof more mature entertainment with mass appeal via a kids cartoon show in the early 90s, Magnum PI is a no-brainer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pepper Ann ruled, suckers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think you all are forgetting something

Truly, this is what the kids going to the Digimon movie really wanted to see

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Um, excuse me. Angela Anaconda and everything else on KaBlam! ruled butt.

To bring this around to comics, reading House of Penance, I have a theory that the artist developed a style based on Klasky Csupo cartoons.

To me this looks like someone raised on Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.

edit: That's Ian Bertram, btw.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Huh, I read all of House of Penance (because I will read anything and everything to do with the Winchester House), and I'd never thought of the art that way before but it does seem to remind me of that style. It's great art, too.