Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

He committed career suicide live on national tv?

Details? Tell me more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Magres posted:

Details? Tell me more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmNM0oj79t8

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Magres posted:

Details? Tell me more

I'm pretty he committed career suicide as soon as he told the republicans to stop being the "stupid" party. The fact that he's not white made it that much easier for the republicans to disown him.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That's Chris Matthews saying "Oh my God" at the beginning, by the way

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

To elaborate, he sounded exactly like Kenneth Parcell from 30 Rock:

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2009/02/jimmy-the-page-responds-to-bobby-jindals-speech/

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm only a couple minutes in ago far so I'm sure I'll edit this with more reactions.

Good god, is the "I'm the least charismatic and most wooden school teacher ever and you're all my third grade students" thing an intentional shtick? I honestly feel like the man is talking to a bunch of eight year olds.

Okay, finished. THAT was what killed him? He literally just said cut taxes cut spending, and to cooperate with the president if the man toes the republican party line. Holy poo poo these guys really are that uninterested in governing - I had always kinda figured they were stupid assholes but that if Obama rolled over and let them have their way they would shut up and pass bills. I could not have been more wrong.

My comment on his speaking stands - that man is an awful, awful public speaker

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 22, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

XyloJW posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2009/02/jimmy-the-page-responds-to-bobby-jindals-speech/

Sounds and looks.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Jindal is also the "GOP needs to be smart" guy that has connections to intelligent design legislation

Also there's never a bad time to mention the exorcist thing.

Bobby Jindal posted:

Maybe she sensed our weariness; whether by plan or coincidence, Susan chose the perfect opportunity to attempt an escape. She suddenly leapt up and ran for the door, despite the many hands holding her down. This burst of action served to revive the tired group of students and they soon had her restrained once again, this time half kneeling and half standing. Alice, a student leader in Campus Crusade for Christ, entered the room for the first time, brandishing a crucifix. Running out of options, UCF had turned to a rival campus Christian group for spiritual tactics. The preacher had denied our request for assistance and recommended that we not confront the demon; his suggestion was a little late. I still wonder if the good preacher was too settled to be roused from bed, or if this supposed expert doubted his own ability to confront whatever harassed Susan.

The crucifix had a calming effect on Susan, and her sister was soon brave enough to bring a Bible to her face. At first, Susan responded to biblical passages with curses and profanities. Mixed in with her vile attacks were short and desperate pleas for help. In the same breath that she attacked Christ, the Bible's authenticity, and everyone assembled in prayer, Susan would suddenly urge us to rescue her. It appeared as if we were observing a tremendous battle between the Susan we knew and loved and some strange evil force. But the momentum had shifted and we now sensed that victory was at hand.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Magres posted:

I'm only a couple minutes in ago far so I'm sure I'll edit this with more reactions.

Good god, is the "I'm the least charismatic and most wooden school teacher ever and you're all my third grade students" thing an intentional shtick? I honestly feel like the man is talking to a bunch of eight year olds.

Okay, finished. THAT was what killed him? He literally just said cut taxes cut spending, and to cooperate with the president if the man toes the republican party line. Holy poo poo these guys really are that uninterested in governing - I had always kinda figured they were stupid assholes but that if Obama rolled over and let them have their way they would shut up and pass bills. I could not have been more wrong.

The best part was when he cited "volcano monitoring" in Alaska as a symbol of government waste. A month later Mount Redoubt erupted which sent an ash cloud over Anchorage. As one noted philosopher once said: "oops."

Of course never mind the utter stupidity of the governor of loving Louisiana of all places decrying monitoring and tracking natural disasters as government waste.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2013

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Magres posted:

Public speaking is just about the only difference between major politicians of a party. Jindal had the right background (ethnic! Christian convert!) and position (Governor) to be a future presidential prospect. So the GOP gave him the spotlight on national TV, and everyone realized at once that no one ever wants to hear another speech from him. Hell, that was 4 years ago, and it's still hanging around his neck.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

XyloJW posted:

Jack McBrayer is such a cutie. :allears:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

The best part was when he cited "volcano monitoring" in Alaska as a symbol of government waste. A month later Mount Redoubt erupted which sent an ash cloud over Anchorage. As one noted philosopher once said: "oops."

Of course never mind the utter stupidity of the governor of loving Louisiana of all places decrying monitoring and tracking natural disasters as government waste.

Wasn't this the same political party that was all about disaster relief funding for the states they owned but stymied the gently caress out of any aid to New Jersey and New York?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
FYGM at its finest

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
To further comment on Jindal chat, I don't know how he managed it, but he's even got many LA republicans against him for his yearly cuts to anything and everything his pen can reach. Our charity hospital system has been eviscerated and sold so brutally even the rapture believing, communist fearing racist health care folks I work with hate him.
Just today I read that he had line item vetoed developmentally disabled assistance, needy family assistance, arts grants and so on from next year's budget citing the "lack of lawmakers accounting for unexpected Medicaid cost increases". Increases he caused by screwing the system sideways and refusing the PPACA medicaid expansion. Jindal has become a rabid, reality denying "starve the beast" republican so blatantly he can't even rely on Louisiana prejudices to cover him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't this the same political party that was all about disaster relief funding for the states they owned but stymied the gently caress out of any aid to New Jersey and New York?

My favorite was Rick Scott applying (and being denied) multiple times for Sandy relief.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

To further comment on Jindal chat, I don't know how he managed it, but he's even got many LA republicans against him for his yearly cuts to anything and everything his pen can reach. Our charity hospital system has been eviscerated and sold so brutally even the rapture believing, communist fearing racist health care folks I work with hate him.
Just today I read that he had line item vetoed developmentally disabled assistance, needy family assistance, arts grants and so on from next year's budget citing the "lack of lawmakers accounting for unexpected Medicaid cost increases". Increases he caused by screwing the system sideways and refusing the PPACA medicaid expansion. Jindal has become a rabid, reality denying "starve the beast" republican so blatantly he can't even rely on Louisiana prejudices to cover him.

The university I got my bachelor's and master's degree has been utterly gutted and brought down to the very worst possible level by jindal's budget cuts. Other universities in the states have been utterly devastated as well. I do not know one single person in Louisiana who likes Bobby Jindal. Literally not a single one, anywhere. Not even republicans. I really, really do not understand how he is in office.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Exactly. The guy had everything lined up for him to be a party leader and a top-tier presidential candidate, but he just keeps stepping on his own dick, over and over and over. The guy is not nearly as good as the hype, and he can barely keep it together at the state level (a state that his party dominates and which is as conservative as he is). He's done nothing in the last four years to indicate he's ready for a national campaign. and I think he's wasted his shot. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

The same thing happened to Rick Perry - highly touted, looked like a comer, everything was aligning, and then he lost the ability to count to three on national television and his campaign organization was like that Three Stooges short where they run a bakery.

Liberals have an annoying tendency to greatly overestimate the strength of any new Republican arrival on the stage as The Next Big Thing That We Underestimate At Our Peril. Wasn't Sarah Palin supposed to be The Future Of The Party That We Dare Not Laugh At? 90% of Next Great Things fizzle out quietly before getting anywhere, usually doing it to themselves with their own weaknesses.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

FMguru posted:

Liberals have an annoying tendency to greatly overestimate the strength of any new Republican arrival on the stage as The Next Big Thing That We Underestimate At Our Peril. Wasn't Sarah Palin supposed to be The Future Of The Party That We Dare Not Laugh At? 90% of Next Great Things fizzle out quietly before getting anywhere, usually doing it to themselves with their own weaknesses.

Blame Reagan. Liberals laughed at him at first, then he got elected in a landslide. Ever since, liberals haven't trusted themselves as much on whether or not someone's too ridiculous to be elected.

Vlonald Prump fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 23, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hobelhouse posted:

Blame Reagan. Liberals laughed at him at first, then he got elected in a landslide.

Except he actually had an electoral history to back up the hype, and nearly beat Ford in the '76 primary.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Republicans have gotten pretty used to every republican voting for the R rather than for an actual person or about issues. There's a lot of those people but not enough to sustain the party forever. Just from 1950-2020.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Devour posted:

I'm pretty he committed career suicide as soon as he told the republicans to stop being the "stupid" party. The fact that he's not white made it that much easier for the republicans to disown him.

I've been looking for this quote for a while and will now bookmark the article, but back in 2008 the local New Orleans paper was doing a piece on Indian restaurants in Louisiana and the writer reached out to Jindal to get a quote:

quote:

The governor is not one to emphasize his Indian roots. Indeed, when I contacted his office to ask if he had a favorite Indian restaurant in Louisiana, his spokesperson called back to inform me that his favorite restaurant is McDonald's.

http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2008/07/why_have_indian_restaurants_be.html

This guy is SO drat phony I can't believe he managed to get elected twice, and the second time without any real opposition.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hobelhouse posted:

Blame Reagan. Liberals laughed at him at first, then he got elected in a landslide. Ever since, liberals haven't trusted themselves as much on whether or not someone's too ridiculous to be elected.
I agree, but it's really gotten out of hand. A lot of it also has to do with the media, where there's a premium placed on being the first to identify an up-and-comer, and no real penalty if they fizzle, so it leads to lots of articles about how obscure governor X or young new senator Y is the Next Big Thing.

It reminds me a lot of music writing, where every tiny local scene or microgenre will have someone come along and declare it The Future Of Music, on the off chance it turns out to be Seattle 1990 and the writer can dine out for the rest of his life as The Guy Who Discovered Nirvana or something. NME used to be really bad about this, every little blip on the scene would be inflated into an onrushing juggernaut, only to be kicked aside two weeks later by the next next big thing. Seriously, ambient dub-wave is going to rule the charts this summer, I guarantee it!

Liberals really need to be less Chicken Little when confronted by the other team. Acting trembly and un-confident and scared, and acting like every one of your potential opponents has super powers, and starting every contest with a half-surrendered "we're doomed" mindset is a lousy way to build support for your issues and your candidates. Ridicule and dismissal can be powerful tools, liberals should make better use of them.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

mints posted:

I've been looking for this quote for a while and will now bookmark the article, but back in 2008 the local New Orleans paper was doing a piece on Indian restaurants in Louisiana and the writer reached out to Jindal to get a quote:

http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2008/07/why_have_indian_restaurants_be.html

This guy is SO drat phony I can't believe he managed to get elected twice, and the second time without any real opposition.

Holy poo poo, I never heard about that, and I live nearby. You're going to be Governor of Louisiana, a state renowned more than anywhere else for its unique food, home to New Orleans, a city with one of the richest culinary traditions in the New World, and you have a spokesperson say your favorite restaurant is McDonalds? And it's not like this is the 80's when McDonalds actually had high customer satisfaction. This is in 2008 when McDonalds repeatedly polls as the least popular chain in the country.

I am beside myself at how out-of-touch his lies are.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I dunno. I'd believe that, in fact, it is Jindal's favorite restaurant.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Jindal wouldn't enjoy soul food as he has no soul.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Warchicken posted:

Yeah, Jindal wouldn't enjoy soul food as he has no soul.

What if it was made out of actual souls?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Warchicken posted:

The university I got my bachelor's and master's degree has been utterly gutted and brought down to the very worst possible level by jindal's budget cuts. Other universities in the states have been utterly devastated as well. I do not know one single person in Louisiana who likes Bobby Jindal. Literally not a single one, anywhere. Not even republicans. I really, really do not understand how he is in office.

I know people personally who do, and agree with what he does. These people use Breitbart.com as a news source and I haven't been able to convince them to stop. They continued to support the private school voucher program, even though it was doled out to private schools without any curriculum standard applied with money reappropriated out of the very fund whose sole purpose was to help schools in low income areas exist. Louisiana has come to hate Jindal a few years too late, and even now there are still the wholly delusional who support him on ideology alone. My university was gutted down to the bones too, and just this past year I participated in a sort mission with other pharmacy school organizations to try and convince the LA legislature to stop cutting our budget even further (it didn't work).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

What if it was made out of actual souls?

He would try to cast them out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to sound like a joke or hyperbole to anyone outside Louisiana, so be advised its not: if this stuff in Louisiana continues, LSU will be the only remaining university in the state, and that's only because it has a football team. And that will only save it for so long because eventually the education system will be so bad that no Louisiana students will be accepted by LSU anymore(already happens in many of their departments - generally they do not even consider applicants to the music program from Louisiana schools unless they are from a specific area or have extremely high test scores).

Basically if jindal has his way Louisiana will become the only state in the nation without a single university. This is the only possible end game for his policies - they don't make sense in any other framing at all. There is simply no way to view what he does in an honest way that doesn't result in the death of every school. Nichols, for instance, is totally hosed and is a complete embarrassment as an institution of learning. Southeastern is losing tenured faculty every year and replacing them with adjuncts.

It just gets worse every year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What about Loisiana Monroe? Without Louisiana Monroe where will crappy SEC teams get their one nonconference win?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

greatn posted:

What about Loisiana Monroe? Without Louisiana Monroe where will crappy SEC teams get their one nonconference win?

They'll bootstrap their way to the crystal football without Louisiana Monroe, just you watch :bahgawd:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

As the only state pharmacy school, no, we aren't any better off at all. We lost our entire undergrad chemistry degree and nearly half the biology faculty. The only reason the band exists is because the director of bands was the only qualified guy around to take over the VAPA responsibilities and he's a scary man.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

As the only state pharmacy school, no, we aren't any better off at all. We lost our entire undergrad chemistry degree and nearly half the biology faculty. The only reason the band exists is because the director of bands was the only qualified guy around to take over the VAPA responsibilities and he's a scary man.

Yeah, existing is about the only thing ULM music has to be proud of.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Isn't Bobby Jindal just the Indian/Muslim/Arab version of Michael Steele? The guy that Republicans felt was important to trot out out to deflect accusations of racism and xenophobia? Isn't it really just aligned with the same logic that led them to nominate Palin for VP? Because since she had a vagina and some Democrats wanted Hillary, the GOP thinking goes that "hey, let's nominate a female", as if that were the only reason anyone wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Michael Steele is a lot smarter and a lot more reasonable than Bobby Jindal, and a lot more moderate.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

greatn posted:

Michael Steele is a lot smarter and a lot more reasonable than Bobby Jindal, and a lot more moderate.

Yeah. Steele may be a token for the Republicans, but he's not anywhere near the nuttiness levels of Palin and Jindal, which is why he was disowned pretty quickly.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Damning with the faintest of praise.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ah Pook posted:

Yeah. Steele may be a token for the Republicans, but he's not anywhere near the nuttiness levels of Palin and Jindal, which is why he was disowned pretty quickly.
Steele is like a combination of Lumbergh and Al Roker. He's an urban educated guy. Jindal and Palin have hugely different backgrounds (Jindal's actually intelligent while Palin is a bonehead), but they both cut their political teeth and built their careers among the hyper conservative bases that can be found in various dumbfuckistans.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Isn't Bobby Jindal just the Indian/Muslim/Arab version of Michael Steele? The guy that Republicans felt was important to trot out out to deflect accusations of racism and xenophobia? Isn't it really just aligned with the same logic that led them to nominate Palin for VP? Because since she had a vagina and some Democrats wanted Hillary, the GOP thinking goes that "hey, let's nominate a female", as if that were the only reason anyone wanted to vote for Hillary Clinton.

They didn't know Palin was a raging idiot until it was too late. On paper, she looked ideal - a young, charismatic governor with sky-high approval ratings, female but supportive of GOP positions on women, who could play up the common sense of a working mother. Then she opened her mouth.

Palins nomination was the equivalent of a panicking undergrad writing up a term paper on Israel, flailing around hopelessly looking for a source, then finally finding one that sounds good, only to find after he turned it in he was actually quoting a Neo-Nazi. The only person who hasn't figured this out is Palin herself, and her cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Fulchrum posted:

They didn't know Palin was a raging idiot until it was too late. On paper, she looked ideal - a young, charismatic governor with sky-high approval ratings, female but supportive of GOP positions on women, who could play up the common sense of a working mother. Then she opened her mouth.
Well since she's back on :foxnews:, I think they disagree with you.