Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
Looking back, I think the only time the democratic presidential primary has had an obvious early frontrunner who then went on to win it was 2000.

The only other years I can think of that anyone was perceived to be in that position was 2008, and maybe 1984?

Whereas the republicans seem to have had someone clearly in front straight out of the gate every year other than 2008 since 1976.

I used to think this was due to the parties' differing views on authority, but they seem to be switching now. Maybe a 'next in line' nominating process is a sign of a dominant party in presidential politics?

gagelion fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
On balance it's way better to be the presumptive nominee than a scrappy underdog (a once in a lifetime, historical, incredibly well financed underdog is a little better) not that Hillary has absolutely any say in the matter.

gagelion posted:

Looking back, I think the only time the democratic presidential primary has had an obvious early frontrunner who then went on to win it was 2000.
Mondale in 1984 and Carter in 1980, other than 2008 there haven't been a whole lot of Democratic contests with obvious frontrunners (like 2 years out obvious) who lost either. Democrats have thrown a lot of free for all's usually to their detriment.

Hillary seems likely to have as strong a position as Gore did in 2000.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 12, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Kodiak posted:

Then using the phrase "similar circumstances" was some spectacularly unclear writing. You can't blame people for jumping all over that.

And this is me being charitable and not accusing you of blatant backpedaling.

That's understandable, given 'presumptive nominee' was the language used then and in the post I quoted. They bandied the term 'inevitable' about back then too but perhaps that isn't similar enough to basically assuring the primary will be a walk just like people did in 2008.

Cantor just got knocked over by a guy whose whole campaign could have been funded by Cantor's dinner bills and change. Let's go on talking about presumed victory and how the other guy has no chance.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

DynamicSloth posted:

On balance it's way better to be the presumptive nominee than a scrappy underdog (a once in a lifetime, historical, incredibly well financed underdog is a little better) not that Hillary has absolutely any say in the matter.
Mondale in 1984 and Carter in 1980, other than 2008 there haven't been a whole lot of Democratic contests with obvious frontrunners (like 2 years out obvious) who lost either. Democrats have thrown a lot of free for all's usually to their detriment.

Hillary seems likely to have as strong a position as Gore did in 2000.

Yeah I wasn't counting years where there was already a president since that's kind of assumed to be a walk, unless youre the whig party. :p

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

FAUXTON posted:

That's understandable, given 'presumptive nominee' was the language used then and in the post I quoted. They bandied the term 'inevitable' about back then too but perhaps that isn't similar enough to basically assuring the primary will be a walk just like people did in 2008.
Clinton really was never treated as inevitable from the start of the 2008 cycle, she was neck and neck with Obama in fundraising from the start (and fundraising is the real place where inevitability is a huge asset) She had a good stretch in the early debates where she was clearly standing above the fray while Obama was still learning to be a national politician but that had begun to fade by late fall.

The big difference between now and then is that if Clinton isn't inevitable someone has to actually beat her, no one is putting forward any names that seem remotely feasible. Every story written about Hillary in the run up to her 2008 candidacy mentioned Obama.

FAUXTON posted:

Cantor just got knocked over by a guy whose whole campaign could have been funded by Cantor's dinner bills and change. Let's go on talking about presumed victory and how the other guy has no chance.
Versus the thousands of elections each year that aren't stunning upsets.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
It seems like every time we get one of these upset elections, the presumed winner underestimates their opponent and totally checks out. I can't believe people still haven't learned their lesson after Hillary 2008 and Coakley....

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure how you'd characterize Hillary as checked out in 2008, she made some bad tactical calls and worse staffing decisions and her surrogates were mostly terrible but on a personal level she was her campaigns strongest asset. She won every debate and overcame a humiliating 3rd place finish in Iowa basically single-handedly in 5 short days, nobody sleepwalks there way into 21 state victories. Barack Obama in 2008 wasn't some dark horse running a fly-by-night operation he had outspent her by 6 million dollars by the time Iowa rolled around.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Rahm Emanuel will not beat Hillary (or anyone else) in 2016. I almost doubt he'll even win reelection as Mayor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's reasonable to point out that the "inevitable" candidate can still lose. It's loving bananas to quote a post talking specifically about Rahm Emanuel being a challenger and say it's a "similar circumstance" to 2008, which is what you did.

Also, Obama was widely recognized as a serious threat as soon as he entered the race, and as a possible future president as soon as he hit the national stage in 2004. You are misremembering the historical context.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm not sure how you'd characterize Hillary as checked out in 2008, she made some bad tactical calls and worse staffing decisions and her surrogates were mostly terrible but on a personal level she was her campaigns strongest asset. She won every debate and overcame a humiliating 3rd place finish in Iowa basically single-handedly in 5 short days, nobody sleepwalks there way into 21 state victories. Barack Obama in 2008 wasn't some dark horse running a fly-by-night operation he had outspent her by 6 million dollars by the time Iowa rolled around.

Word, I understand she was hitting the ground running after Iowa, but was she not phoning it in before that, or have I just fallen prey to the media spin?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gagelion posted:

Word, I understand she was hitting the ground running after Iowa, but was she not phoning it in before that, or have I just fallen prey to the media spin?

She campaigned pretty hard before Iowa, even got the endorsement from the Des Moines Register. The polls leading up to the caucus were a bit all over the place, but mostly showed a tighter race than what it wound up being, which was why Obama's win there was huge. But it wasn't because Clinton didn't put up a fight.

The funniest part was watching the election threads here go from near ecstatic jubilation to suicidal despair in the course of a few days after New Hampshire.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 12, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gagelion posted:

She phoned in her Iraq war vote. Other than that that isn't really an apt description of her faults.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DynamicSloth posted:

I said Democrat, Bloomberg hasn't been one for 13 years.

So? He can change to Democrat as well as anyone can.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

So? He can change to Democrat as well as anyone can.

Yes, so could Mitt Romney but neither of them will, neither have any bearing on my assertion that no "Democrat" could out fundraise Hillary this cycle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Conor Friedersdorf wrote up an endorsement for Russ Feingold over Hillary Clinton.

I love Russ Feingold, and would back him over Clinton in a second, but at this point, I don't think he'd stand a chance.

Rahm Emanuel has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much baggage to have a chance in hell at the presidency.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, there is a 0% chance that Rahm would ever run against Hillary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thanatosian posted:

Conor Friedersdorf wrote up an endorsement for Russ Feingold over Hillary Clinton.

I love Russ Feingold, and would back him over Clinton in a second, but at this point, I don't think he'd stand a chance.

Rahm Emanuel has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much baggage to have a chance in hell at the presidency.

The same can be said of Brian Schweitzer.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DynamicSloth posted:

You're stretching "similar" beyond what the word can bear, Hillary is more popular than she was in 2008 but more importantly she's running against an empty field. You can't overtake a frontrunner from the right in a Democratic primary and there doesn't seem to be anyone who can credibly mount a (successful) challenge from the left, it sure as poo poo isn't going to be Rahm Emmanuel, although I don't know where the notion he'd even think of trying came from.

Ask Mitt Romney about how easy it was running against an empty field.

I realize the Democratic base is pretty different from the Republican base and the circular-firing-squad effect will be far more minimal even at worst. But being the obvious, nigh-inevitable candidate can carry its own baggage too, everyone's fishing for another option who isn't you. Yeah, she served as Secretary of State fairly recently and did a good job, but Romney was only a couple years out of office in 2011 too.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Comparing literally any incarnation of Rahm to 2008 Obama is maybe the funniest joke in this entire site. Rahm is a repugnant human with the charm of a wet fart, not even going into his policy issues.

Seriously, I can sell myself Hillary as a reasonable candidate, with a lot of positions I disagree with but also with the political connections and experience presidents need to get things done. Rahm is basically the Democratic Ted Cruz, a douche who's totally wrapped up in enhancing his political power and influence and generally just Playing The Game and Being A Smug rear end in a top hat. It's not quite a perfect fit, Cruz is a Republican outgroup member and Rahm is a Democratic ingroup member, but they're a match in terms of the "nakedly self-interested sociopath" vibe they both project.

If there's a dark-horse candidate I just can't see it being Rahm. It better not be. :smithicide:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 12, 2014

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Majorian posted:

I keep hearing that Cruz is a lot smarter than he seems, that he doesn't believe the poo poo he's saying, that he's a complete charlatan who just loves winning arguments and will do anything to win, etc. But that characterization is belied by the fact that he genuinely seems to think that he has a chance of being elected president.

In an era where Majority Leader Eric Cantor just lost a primary by 12 points after outspending his completely unheard of wingnut challenger by 5 million to $100k, do we really, really, really think that writing off the 30% of the GOP that gets out the vote the hardest is a gimme, especially if they do manage to unite around a single Canadian?

Now, sure, in the regular order of things this just means the general will be Goldwater-esque, but a)he thinks he's Right (they all do) and b)when you're the nominee of one out of two parties in 201x you are absolutely never worse than 60/40 six months out and who knows maybe the economy tanks in September 2016 again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Seriously, I can sell myself Hillary as a reasonable candidate, with a lot of positions I disagree with but also with the political connections and experience presidents need to get things done. Rahm is basically the Democratic Ted Cruz, a douche who's totally wrapped up in enhancing his political power and influence and generally just Playing The Game.

If there's a dark-horse candidate I just can't see it being Rahm. It better not be. :smithicide:

Hillary is like everyone's Plan B. She's an acceptable alternative if nobody better shows up.

I'm not thrilled with her, but there doesn't seem to be anybody particularly impressive in the wings of the Democratic party, and she would be orders of magnitude better for the country than having any current Republican in office.

Rahm isn't going anywhere beyond Chicago.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think Hillary being "plan B" is pretty much a D&D sort of position. I think she is number one by a longshot in most Democrats' minds. poo poo I know that she's warmongering reptilian scum and I still get excited every once in a while when I think about her running.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Thanatosian posted:

Is Russ Feingold actually running for president or is this just Friedersdorf being a jackass yet again

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

Is Russ Feingold actually running for president or is this just Friedersdorf being a jackass yet again

Friedersdorf being a jackass. Feingold has barely even been in Iowa, and as far as I know hasn't been talking to the people you normally talk to if you're planning to run. Of course, we're still more than two years out, but still.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

I think Hillary being "plan B" is pretty much a D&D sort of position. I think she is number one by a longshot in most Democrats' minds. poo poo I know that she's warmongering reptilian scum and I still get excited every once in a while when I think about her running.

So do I, but it's not necessarily regarding any kind of eagerness for her style of leadership. I just love seeing conservatives stare blankly into the wreckage of the illusions they'd built up over months or years. There's something about the video of that crazy drinking lady on election night haranguing her contemporaries for backing ronpaul and not being big enough assholes on facebook, or whitepeoplemourning*.jpg thousand-yard stares that makes me smile. It's not the brief, humorous laugh of a good punchline, it's the kind of warm, fulfilled happiness that comes with being content in the moment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paul MaudDib posted:

I realize the Democratic base is pretty different from the Republican base and the circular-firing-squad effect will be far more minimal even at worst. But being the obvious, nigh-inevitable candidate can carry its own baggage too, everyone's fishing for another option who isn't you. Yeah, she served as Secretary of State fairly recently and did a good job, but Romney was only a couple years out of office in 2011 too.

Mitt Romney is a horrible comparison. Hillary is a very popular first or second choice among a mega majority of the Democratic Party. Mitt Romney was at best everyone's hold your nose and vote for him choice among the Republican Party. People hated Romney so much that they seriously contemplated voting for a Pizza Man, a Drugged up Cowboy, and a goddamn Sky Admiral instead of him. Meanwhile Hillary lost the choice between her and the coolest candidate choice in generations.

Nobody thinks Romney is likable, let alone likable enough.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

Rahm isn't going anywhere beyond Chicago.

He'll be facing a legitimate threat and could likely lose Chicago. Why stand for contested election to an office you wanted on your original path to 2016?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My Imaginary GF posted:

He'll be facing a legitimate threat and could likely lose Chicago. Why stand for contested election to an office you wanted on your original path to 2016?

Because it's either lose Chicago and maybe take Chief of Staff or a CabSec position in a Clinton admin, or leave Chicago anyway, weaken Clinton, drain her warchest, and possibly have her lose as a result. Then you're out on both and you've just hosed over a Clinton. The sharper of the two, no less.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FAUXTON posted:

So do I, but it's not necessarily regarding any kind of eagerness for her style of leadership. I just love seeing conservatives stare blankly into the wreckage of the illusions they'd built up over months or years. There's something about the video of that crazy drinking lady on election night haranguing her contemporaries for backing ronpaul and not being big enough assholes on facebook, or whitepeoplemourning*.jpg thousand-yard stares that makes me smile. It's not the brief, humorous laugh of a good punchline, it's the kind of warm, fulfilled happiness that comes with being content in the moment.

Thank you for reminding me this exists.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Given that he did win the nomination, it wasn't that terrible. Being the frontrunner obviously puts a target on you but on balance if you have a choice it's much much better to be in that position.

The Democratic primary is also unlikely to see the dynamic where certain candidates total inability to fundraise on their own is ameliorated by rich sugar daddies cutting them multi million dollar cheques. Without Adelson, Romney's primary journey would have been a lot smoother.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Nth Doctor posted:

Thank you for reminding me this exists.

Man, that was a nice trip down memory lane.

FAUXTON posted:

There's something about the video of that crazy drinking lady on election night haranguing her contemporaries for backing ronpaul and not being big enough assholes on facebook

Do you have a link?

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pfirti86 posted:

Man, that was a nice trip down memory lane.

Do you have a link?

http://youtu.be/wLoqti0lzAw

IMO the best part is her yelling about Romney winning the popular vote when California's polls hadn't, or just had, closed.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hillary-gay-marriage-npr-terry-gross

quote:

“So, just to clarify, just one more question on this, would you say your view evolved since the '90s or that the American public evolved allowing you to state your real view?" Gross asked.

“I think I’m an American. I think that we have all evolved, and it’s been one of the fastest, most sweeping transformations that I’m aware of," Clinton replied.

“I understand, but a lot of people believed in it already back in the '90s," Gross countered. "They supported gay marriage.”

“To be fair, Terry, not that many." Clinton said.

From there, Clinton became more contentious as Gross pressed her to specify the sequence of events.

"You know, I have to say, I think you're being very persistent, but you are playing with my words and playing with what is such an important issue," Clinton said as the interview continued.

“I’m just trying to clarify so I can understand," Gross said.

"No, I don’t think you are trying to clarify," Clinton said. "I think you are trying to say that I used to be opposed and now I am in favor and I did it for political reasons, and that’s just flat wrong. "

"So let me just state what I feel like I think you are implying and repudiate it," Clinton added. "I have a strong record. I have a great commitment to this issue and I am proud of what I’ve done and the progress were making.”

Clinton said she "did not grow up even imagining gay marriage."

“I did not grow up even imagining gay marriage and I don’t think you did either," she said. "This was an incredible new and important idea that people on the front lines of the gay right movement began to talk about and slowly, but surely, convinced others about the rightness of that position. When I was ready to say what I said, I said it.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Terry Gross is a perfect human being :allears:

e: vvv if she could, she would

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I can't help but feel like giving an honest goddamn answer would have served her so much better. "I believed it then and believe it now, but it wasn't politically feasible to come out in support of it publicly and the actions I took were those actions that were possible at the time to give it weight" or "I didn't support it then, but I've been convinced I was wrong, and I support it now." or even "I have no particular stance on gay marriage, but the people do, and I believe their voice should be heard."

If it wasn't just about politics, if it was honestly her opinion changing, well, she pretty much just managed to convince me that that (which is what I thought before listening to her) is wrong and that she did, in fact, change her opinion solely for political reasons and doesn't care one way or the other. Especially since the host was giving her the benefit of a doubt and actually arguing she was did support support it.

So... good job there, Hillary? :/ You managed to move me from "She was always right, but had to hide it for political reasons" to "She doesn't give a poo poo, and only supports it for political reasons."

Gonna go finish listening now.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 12, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Don't see Gay marriage purity being an issue in the primary given that a millennial candidate would be constitutionally barred from running, every old Democrat has "evolved" on the issue since the 90s, including Barney Frank.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Which makes her equivocating even funnier.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's the worst part! I don't care if she's pure, I don't care if she's always supported it or changed her mind or doesn't even care about it that much. So long as she's willing to back it at all she's fine.

All she is doing a convincing job in this interview of making me really, really dislike her though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be way fairer than she deserves she's not wrong in saying 'not that many', especially in her position, were public about their gay rights support then.

To be honest asking an old guard about their 'evolving' on gay rights has no real purpose other than to be smug, it's really hard to work up more than 'yea that was a dumb answer to a dumb question' to that.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be way fairer than she deserves she's not wrong in saying 'not that many', especially in her position, were public about their gay rights support then.

To be honest asking an old guard about their 'evolving' on gay rights has no real purpose other than to be smug, it's really hard to work up more than 'yea that was a dumb answer to a dumb question' to that.

It's because anyone claiming to have "evolved" on the issue is full of poo poo. What happened is: the media became more gay-friendly -> people became more gay-friendly -> politicians feel like they can be gay-friendly.

I'm no Hillary hater but her answer amounts to "I am an empty suit who does and thinks whatever the polls say I should."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

"I didn't think it was right or important before, but like the rest of America, my opinion has changed over time."

...I think it's a pretty reasonable answer? I mean, I felt the same way too?

• Locked thread