Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skeezy posted:

Buying that shirt asap.

I just jumped on one. They're only like $28 so it's not that expensive to buy all 3 if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's actually $69 if you buy 3 according to some deal I saw

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ordered but forgor to add my disney card discount :qq:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Boxman posted:

Also, Braksgirl: (I'm putting it here rather than e-mailing for publicity reasons) we got our little last care package from your company. I wasn't expecting anything else, so it was a great surprise. The only danger is us getting too excited. We still have more than two weeks to go!

Just so I can take full credit, that package came from me. ;) But I'm glad you like it. Have fun and try not to perish from excitement in the interim!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is anyone familiar with the Windsor Hills area near the park? Condos there are super cheap for when we would be going, like $60-70 a night.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm going to Disneyland and DCA tomorrow. Staying at Great Wolf Lodge down the street. I was once an annual passholder to DLR, but it's been a few years. Any must-sees, or advice for tomorrow?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
next time one of you guys are in the parks can you scope out how much this shirt is for me thanks

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

next time one of you guys are in the parks can you scope out how much this shirt is for me thanks

It's $29.99 according to the Shop Disney Parks app.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks, totally blanked that app. Hope it goes on sale online soon.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for a very short time a portion of the Part 2 of the yesteryear shirts were on the website, and it was a It's a Small World shirt

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Windsor Hills area near the park? Condos there are super cheap for when we would be going, like $60-70 a night.

Yes it's not too far form the park, converted apartment complex. I think that was the one where one of the buildings was swallowed up by a sinkhole. Try to avoid that building.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Disney finally edited the film at Rockin Rollercoaster, only took them what 10+ years to figure out what Steve Tyler did with his hand in the film..

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Disney finally edited the film at Rockin Rollercoaster, only took them what 10+ years to figure out what Steve Tyler did with his hand in the film..

https://twitter.com/IamStevenT/status/766331530708918272

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is a thing now.. everyone who rides please share your pics.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The row behind are loving it :laugh:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That might be the best rock n roller picture ever haha

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We used to have to hide all those but for some reason they stopped caring. *shrug*

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

It's important to show your solidarity with Steven Tyler

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

He's still just so relevant.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Braksgirl posted:

He's still just so relevant.

He's actually on a pretty well selling solo tour right now. I bartended one of his concerts and people seemed hyped, so I dunno, maybe he is.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
He played at Endymion extravaganza this past year just before Pitbull and put on a hell of a show. Love me some Steve Tyler.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

couldcareless posted:

He played at Endymion extravaganza this past year just before Pitbull and put on a hell of a show. Love me some Steve Tyler.

Do we really want to have a world where Steven Tyler opens for Pitbull?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He's going to be opening for a Beyonce show in Las Vegas next year. That should be good enough?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even the beatles would open for pitbull or beyonce in the moder nstate

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
what is this thread

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

This is no place for Beyonce.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Has anyone stayed at Saratoga Springs? I am going with family in late October and I'm so excited. The pool looks amazing. Only thing is it looks like it's a longer ways out to the parks (except for Disney Springs).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Leelee posted:

Has anyone stayed at Saratoga Springs? I am going with family in late October and I'm so excited. The pool looks amazing. Only thing is it looks like it's a longer ways out to the parks (except for Disney Springs).

We stayed there two years ago, nice place, kinda meh in terms of themeing. Doesn't feel as whimsical as you'd expect from a Disney resort.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wife & I are at the Hotel Del Coronado right now, and the Grand Floridian really is a dead ringer for this place, except the Del is obviously really old. Disney even copied the trash cans:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I found the trash can ornaments at one of the Xmas stores. I laughed out loud.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Leelee posted:

That's where my wife and I have most of our DVC points. It's a fine resort. The rooms are nice, the pool areas are good, especially the main pool near the front.

One of the few knocks on it really is that it's SO big that it makes the buses a little difficult sometimes if you don't stay in the right area.

We always request Congress Park villas to stay at. That way you have a nicer pool, the walkway bride to Disney Springs Marketplace, and reasonably short walk to the main lobby area. Plus, if you have a car, you're very close to the resort exit if you want to make a trip somewhere off property.

Although the on-site restaurant, the Artist's Palette, is consistently one of my least favorites to eat at when staying on property. I'm not sure why, but the food there has never been enjoyable to me. Port Orleans, AK Kidani Village and even Pop Century have better on-site dining.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Oh, thanks for the tip on where to stay- I'll have to see if we can request that area to stay!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Leelee posted:

Oh, thanks for the tip on where to stay- I'll have to see if we can request that area to stay!

Yeah, Congress Park is the place to be since the walk to/from the main buildings and pool and Disney Springs isn't bad. Anywhere else the walk is pretty far and there are some sections that are downright remote. The treehouses might as well be a separate resort. The reason for the lack of theme beyond "I don't know, whatever, horses? Yeah, horses" is because Saratoga started life as The Disney Institute. Surely there's nothing more fun than spending school vacation week in Walt Disney World than to spend that vacation going to school in Walt Disney World? :allears:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Lincoln posted:

Wife & I are at the Hotel Del Coronado right now, and the Grand Floridian really is a dead ringer for this place, except the Del is obviously really old. Disney even copied the trash cans:

Hey I stayed there at Christmas! This is what I thought as well, having just gone to DLR.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Just some quick thoughts on Disneyland Hotels. I'm at Paradise Pier right now. It's barely a Moderate level hotel. Not at ALL worth the price.

Grand Californian is beautiful but they blew their wad in the lobby and forgot to spend some money on the rooms. It's mighty convenient with the CA gate right there in the hotel so I guess they can charge whatever they want for that little perk.

Disneyland Hotel is awesome and I love it. The rooms are gorgeous. It's by far my favorite and I would 100% stay there again.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Just some quick thoughts on Disneyland Hotels. I'm at Paradise Pier right now. It's barely a Moderate level hotel. Not at ALL worth the price.

Grand Californian is beautiful but they blew their wad in the lobby and forgot to spend some money on the rooms. It's mighty convenient with the CA gate right there in the hotel so I guess they can charge whatever they want for that little perk.

Disneyland Hotel is awesome and I love it. The rooms are gorgeous. It's by far my favorite and I would 100% stay there again.

Totally agree with all points above.

In other news, I just planned my FastPass+ selections, and of course the Frozen ride isn't available. :-(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

Disney wasn't offering a cast discount for Paradise Pier, so we decided against it, and ended up at the Annabella (which was decent, if a little old and in need of some room updates) and the walk to the parks was about the same as if we had stayed at Paradise Pier. Really not mad about skipping out on that (a little mad I couldn't afford the Disneyland hotel)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to be a short nerdy post but I can't get over how amazing the audio systems are at Disney, let alone Splash Mountain (which i'm starting to feel like some creppy insane fanboy about but that ride is probably the most impressive in the world).

I've been working on installing a PA system at my work, which is the same type Disney uses for their outdoor stuff. They're pretty expensive but impressive. These are ginormous outdoor speakers, which makes Disneys theming even more impressive that they hide them well.

ANYWAYS, one of the effects on Splash Mountain that I think is amazing, that I don't think they've managed to really replicate that much is the synchronized audio throughout the ride. A perfect example of this is when you crest up that second lift hill and go into Brer Territory. The music slightly creeps in, louder and louder as you go past some scenes of Brer Rabbits Life. Then, and this is probably IMHO the most impressive effect in Disney, you go under a tree that has a couple of bird houses that have birds whistling that are PERFECTLY synchronized with the song playing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPnHxqnfUo) . This is insane and I can't fathom how they do it. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPnHxqnfUo

That's not to mention how great the sound design is period on that ride; but that's basically a staple of Disney especially after all the practice they had throughout the years. The ride itself is set up like a movie in it's own right; the opening "shots" of brer country is a stripped down version of the primary song.

To get technical, having the song play at all points is pretty easy, you just line more speakers up to the amp playing what you have. But having something be synchronized exactly to something else is what boggles me, equally so when that involves a moving object interacting wtih sound.

The answer I believe lies in how to do it with animatronics, you'd take the "full" audio track and then put a stripped down part of what you only want the animatronic singing on top of it, so you have positional and synchronized (which is also impressive in it's own right for rides that date back to the 50's like Pirates of the Carribean, but they were able to get over the not perfect synchronization by using the "drunk pirates" excuse), and you can actually do this as a hobbyist using programs like Visual Show Automation (https://www.brookshiresoftware.com/) . Even 50 years (I think Pirates turns 50 next year holy hsit) later it's stupidly hard to get a perfect synchronization, especially when it's objects that aren't connected. If you listen closely you'll see that the birdhouse is piping out only the audio of the birds, not the instrumental version of "How Do You Do" at the same time.

You can see the POTC method of doing it once you get into the bayou itself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPnHxqnfUo), it still has the illusion of being synchronized with Brer Goose and Brer Frog and all the other inhabitants saying "How do you do?" but it's a bit off tune. Which is why that god drat bird house is so impressive. They also replicate this effect probably 100 times more as the ride goes on, only getting more impressive because the animatronics are lined up to the boats position. They hide "refreshing" the audio by doing another measure of the main theme, but it's still stupidly impressive.

Anyways i'm sure i'm overthinking this as it's probably a simple effect (which is alot of what disney does, but stupidly impressively (look at haunted mansion)) but just something else that impressed me about Splash Mountain and I wanted to share my craziness. Don't even get me started on how they somehow managed to get Animatronics very close to water without causing everyone in the show building to be zapped to death.

TLDR: Disney Illusioneering is more impressive than Disney Imagineering

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 26, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been to a good number of amusement parks around the eastern United States, and honestly Universal and Disney are head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to immersion. Parks like Six Flags and Cedar Point have a tighter focus on thrill rides and record-breaking coasters, or traditional rides like drop towers and Scramblers, but Disney and Universal are the only ones that put the majority of their budget and innovation into unique, often story-based attractions. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean are rare elsewhere and never done to the same scale, and most log flume rides have very simple (often natural) theming rather than the complex sets and animatronics of Splash Mountain even if the ride experience itself is the same or even more extreme. There's plenty of attractions like the Harry Potter ones that simply haven't been done before ever.

It's a very noticeable difference in intent. Disney and Universal tend to get a lot of flak for their high ticket prices compared to the competition, but they really do offer experiences that literally don't exist elsewhere. The only park that really comes within reach is SeaWorld, with rides like Journey to Atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah there aren't many parks that meet the Disney standard of theming and story telling. Phantasialand in Germany opened a log flume a few years back which is so much fun to ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_sS2hjAJI8

It reminds me of Splash Mountain with the same theme tune being altered throughout the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tLemGOIuA

They also just built this monster that I sadly missed out on riding by a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOPcFh3_O84

Dugong fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 26, 2016