Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beach Bum posted:

55mph at 1°C loving blows. Granted I'm in jeans because I'm waiting on my gear to get repaired but even with silks AND quilts my legs get cold FAST. Even the bike doesn't like it, I got it warmed up in the driveway to halfway on the gauge and within a quarter mile it was right back in the cold zone, needle just plummeted. Brand new thermostat too.

Silk glove liners hold up well, though. My mitts aren't exactly toasty but I still have good control and feel.

What kind of bike is it that the motor doesn't heat up when it's not even freezing? That sounds crazy to me. Also, you want wind resistance at that speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Cold weather is great for combustion, sucking in all that cold dense air, the butt dyno thinks so anyway. Though I've been lucky, it's only getting to the high 20's low 30's when I'm on my way into work at night. By the time work lets out at 10am, it's already in the mid-30's to mid-40's.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

What kind of bike is it that the motor doesn't heat up when it's not even freezing? That sounds crazy to me. Also, you want wind resistance at that speed.

My yzf600 temp needle doesn't move very far even on hot days but that bike is lol anyways.

As far as jeans in cold weather... Get some carhart or ll bean insulated jeans

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

'08 Kawsaki Ninja 500R. It's always had a problem getting up to temp if you don't let it warm up, which is why one of the first things I did was throw a new thermostat at it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I think that just seems like a waste of money because it's an SV.

Oh yeah you're right I forgot it's a huge pile of poo poo I'll just leave it alone thanks for this clarity and good advice namaste

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh yeah you're right I forgot it's a huge pile of poo poo I'll just leave it alone thanks for this clarity and good advice namaste

Easy tiger, jokes are jokes on the joke forum.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well it's no Hawk GT :smugdog:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress all of you tell me how to put jets in my throttle bodies right now :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just drop them on top of the butterflies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can also make it run a bit richer by getting a small drill bit and boring out the injectors a little.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

gently caress all of you tell me how to put jets in my throttle bodies right now :argh:

Buy a 1st gen carbed SV, swap the engine over, then put your full race headers and pipe and pod filters on then spend the winter trying to get it all to work just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On it

Z3n posted:

You can also make it run a bit richer by getting a small drill bit and boring out the injectors a little.

I just snipped the tips right off I hope this is ok :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just put flat slides on it. They bolt right on.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I guess it just needed to warm up. Filled the cylinder up with dry lube, no effect. Wrapped my hand around the cylinder as best I could for a minute, key slowly started working. First from fork lock to off, took my hand off, couldn't turn it again. Apply body heat again, got it to turn to on.

Fired it up, moved it to the garage, key area is warm, key rotates freely now. Guess I'll stick it on the tender and pretend it doesn't exist on days below freezing if it's going to be like that. Don't want to get potentially stranded somewhere in the cold if just body heat doesn't do it in the future on a worse day.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Buy a lighter?

...if I own nice things, they don't stay nice.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Funny, that reminds me of how my XT350 ignition cylinder always used to freeze up in low temperatures. Only that bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks, guy in a loaded ute doing 60. When I try to pass you the best thing to do is definitely straddle the center line and continue to do so even when a car appears coming the other way.

Why the gently caress would you try manslaughter a oval office for doing 20 over the speed limit on a country road. Why.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You might think he's just some average dude, but in reality you came across King oval office: Policer of her Majesty's Thoroughfares.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

You might think he's just some average dude, but in reality you came across King oval office: Policer of her Majesty's Thoroughfares.

I've never even been to New Zealand.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

Lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'm happy it was an unusually warm day yeaterday, and I got to go for a nice ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

manslaughter a oval office

Mods, name change please

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PCOS Bill posted:

Awesome. Dry lube didn't work, still can't unlock the forks, I walked around to the right side of the bike while swearing at it and found a fresh creased dent with paint missing on the side of my tank. Guess my bike has been acted upon by an outside force in the last 24 hours. Thanks, ghetto neighborhood!

Could try lightly turning it while putting the key in quickly. Kind of like lightly trying to bump key it.
I've lost the original key to my bike, and only have copies now. They like to stick, and jiggling them like a bump key usually gets them to turn after a few tries.

This is, of course, assuming someone didn't intentionally gently caress with the lock, and it's not broken internally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

You should try it, we've got enough mental patients to keep you busy for a long time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So like, if I decided to either run my bike at the track a lot or get a track bike and fill the cooling system with whatever these people like to have in there, will it freeze solid in my garage over the winter? Is that a Bad Thing?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Not if you keep it in the living room, where it belongs. Or make it a nice blanket.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

captainOrbital posted:

So like, if I decided to either run my bike at the track a lot or get a track bike and fill the cooling system with whatever these people like to have in there, will it freeze solid in my garage over the winter? Is that a Bad Thing?

Evans Waterless Cooling is good down to -40f iirc. Get Evans, it is the best stuff

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have engine ice in my trackbike, -26 f freeze point and was run by a top of the pack advanced group rider without problems

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Buddy of mine sold his track-only SV650 in Houston with water-wetter in it and no coolant. He sold it to a guy up in Dallas on a freakishly cold day and warned him to be careful. They met halfway between Dallas and Houston.

Dude got caught in terrible traffic, bike sat still for something ridiculous like 6 hours uncovered in the elements and popped its freeze plugs. Be careful bros and broettes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ohhhh, it was on a truck or something.

"How does a bike freeze in traffic, if anything it would be on fire"

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Heh yeah, it was strapped to a trailer. Kindof a freak incident for a track bike. On the bright side, the buyer actually swapped the motor on the bike and uses it for CMRA.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So my MV is finally fixed (fingers crossed). The culprit was of course the sprag clutch in starter motor. Dealer replaced it under warranty, and it starts like magic now. Having pushed the biek for about 4 miles on foot as a result of getting stranded, I am happy to not do this again. Hopefully changing the battery to Yuasa ytz-10s was a worthwhile idea. Some dudes on MV forums recommended putting one in with over 300 cca.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Battery size doesn't matter, it's a design flaw, will do this after x number of starts forever. How many miles ends up depending on your riding style, but it's clear they haven't (probably can't) fix the core problem without a major motor revision. You can try and bump start it when this happens but it'll do it forever. You should have a two year warranty so start the documentation for a lemon law.

I think we estimated it to about 350 starts on my buddy's bike over the 15k miles he had it. It's sort of a pity cause they're super fun bikes but the starter sprag issue is ruinous. I'd love a Turismo Veloce as a toy but I'll probably never have one because of this problem.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 18, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why has no one designed a better aftermarket sprag clutch, then, like they do for the KLR doohickey or every other consistently-identifiable design flaw in a popular motorcycle model?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Why has no one designed a better aftermarket sprag clutch, then, like they do for the KLR doohickey or every other consistently-identifiable design flaw in a popular motorcycle model?

If you ride your MV on weekends, you won't pick up on the issue for at least 1-2 years, probably longer. And MV owners don't tend to regularly ride their bikes. This forum is definitely the outside case for MV usage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, lol if you think the average MV owner starts their bike 350 times. That's like 175 years worth

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
KLR doohickey is a much simpler item to manufacture than a sprag and there are way more KLR owners out there to sell to than MV owners also.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

350 times seems about right. Bike has almost 7k miles now. I am keeping the paperwork :]. I had a wonderful 150 mile ride today. Stopped at a locally famous biker restaurant, talked to a Motus rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

KLR doohickey is a much simpler item to manufacture than a sprag and there are way more KLR owners out there to sell to than MV owners also.

Triumph did a pretty good job of coming up with an uprated sprag for their big triples.