Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Look at Alan Moore having bad people do bad things in his comic, someone rape him, see how he likes it. There, a reasoned response to BrianWilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's not wrong, though. Alan Moore writes about rape a lot. Almost as much as Frank Miller writes about whores. At a certain point it becomes off-putting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's worth noting that Geoff Johns hasn't written about people getting their arms ripped off nearly as much as Alan Moore has written about rape.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
Speaking of hypocrisy, I like all the people using "Alan Moore writes about rape in his fiction and is therefore evil and all his opinions should be dismissed" as a way to defend a company that knowingly employs a man who has sexually assaulted multiple co-workers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

purple death ray posted:

He's not wrong, though. Alan Moore writes about rape a lot. Almost as much as Frank Miller writes about whores. At a certain point it becomes off-putting.

Do you like Kirkman's comics?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

gus rules ok posted:

Speaking of hypocrisy, I like all the people using "Alan Moore writes about rape in his fiction and is therefore evil and all his opinions should be dismissed" as a way to defend a company that knowingly employs a man who has sexually assaulted multiple co-workers.

That is not what anyone is saying.

It is amazing how both sides are so passionate about their strawmen.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

Almost as much as Bendis goes "Bendis? Bendis! Bendis. Bendis. Bendis. Bendis Bendis" and as often as all black people have lightning powers and frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

apologies if this comes off as dismissive but efofrtposting is clearly for losers i'm not even gonna backspace for that typo

cool

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

gus rules ok posted:

Mysteriously some of us haven't said squat "defending a company", but you keep on building that strawman. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah Im out of this one. Have fun with whatever is happening here.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

"All of Frank Miller's work is about whores. ALL OF IT. IT'S ALL WHORES.

WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES
WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES.

Just like in that Shortpacked comic, WHORES WHORES WHORES, ha ha I showed that motherfucker, always writing about whores. Like in Sin City, and uh

um

er

well, Catwoman in Year One

and uh

well those are the only two that spring to mind but gently caress him if he thinks I'm going to read like thirty issues of Daredevil screaming WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES over and over again

Give Me Liberty? GIVE ME WHORES
Ronin? More like WHORENIN
300? MORE LIKE 300 WHOR-

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

taichara posted:

Mysteriously some of us haven't said squat "defending a company", but you keep on building that strawman. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

If you're not one of the fans who mysteriously pop up any time someone mentions Moore in the context of criticizing DC in order to desperately try and change the subject, this time using the hilariously hypocritical topic of sexual assault, then you're not included in the comment. And no, it doesn't make me feel better to see people attack Moore for writing about sexual assault in a fictional story while remaining silent on real, actual sexual assaults; it makes me feel a lot worse to see it happening, in truth. I really dislike how DC treats their creative staff in general, I am disgusted in the specific case of Berganza, and I get annoyed at how easily DC fans overlook it, particularly in cases like this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is everybody ok?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Is everybody ok?

Geoff Johns ripped my arm off.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

Is everybody ok?
doing great, not like that hack piece of poo poo tom king who can't stop writing about little girls watching loved ones die and going crazy because bitches am i right

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Geoff Johns ripped my arm off.

That's rough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

doing great, not like that hack piece of poo poo tom king who can't stop writing about little girls watching loved ones die and going crazy because bitches am i right

Man, look, you know I'm roughly on the same side and I am certainly not someone who can say "stop getting mad at this conversation" without being a massive hypocrite, but I think this is goin' a bit far for everyone.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Man, look, you know I'm roughly on the same side and I am certainly not someone who can say "stop getting mad at this conversation" without being a massive hypocrite, but I think this is goin' a bit far for everyone.
Can we at least all agree that it's better to snarkily breezily dismiss people with one liners than have actual conversations? As long as we all agree to that no one has to be mad, we can just all have fun laying down sick burns against assholes whose books we mostly read on Tumblr or whatever

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

gus rules ok posted:

I get annoyed at how easily DC fans overlook it

Would you like this thread to consistently read like these last few horrible pages? Business practices were the topic over comic books about 70% of the time during the N52 and it was pretty dreadful.
Maybe there isn't a "but Eddie Bazinga" caveat every time somebody says "Today's Superman was real swell!" But it's not like he's not discussed whenever it's actually pertinent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Can we at least all agree that it's better to snarkily breezily dismiss people with one liners than have actual conversations? As long as we all agree to that no one has to be mad, we can just all have fun laying down sick burns against assholes whose books we mostly read on Tumblr or whatever

63% of Edge & Christians posts include Tumblr or complaining about people not having actual conversations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

63% of Edge & Christians posts include Tumblr or complaining about people not having actual conversations.
Tumblr number is very high, people shitposting poo poo will never not be a bugbear for me. Case in point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I finished reading Vigilante tonight. It is a good, but extremely problematic book once you figure out some of the troubling themes. Like the overarching theme of a rich, white, conservative bringing justice down on the poor, the minority, or the addicted who is menacing the fellow rich, white people. At the same time there are moments that are very liberal in its ideas or thoughts, but the book doesn't turn the corner into them. In fact there is an issue that swerved into objectivism and how the homeless have the right way of living because of it. The book also paints the Vigilantes as bad, which they are, but needed tools to keep the "rough element" in check.

The book reads like a trumper fan fiction if one of them wrote a comic book today.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm surprised more "rape in Moore's books" conversations don't include the circumstances of Moore's life he explained in his "final" interview.

He and his classmates were molested in grade school, and several of his adult friends have been sexually assaulted/raped. He pulled stats for his community and saw sexual assault numbers far worse than violent crime.

None of that excuses how readers may react to the use of rape and sexual assault in Moore's stories, but imagine if "rape apologist and arrogant hermit Alan Moore" was instead framed as "childhood sexual abuse victim Alan Moore..."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
realtalk here: If Alan Moore got into a wizard fight with Grant Morrison who would win? I imagine Alan is some type of prepared spellcaster, so he'd have powers at the ready but we can also leave the scenario open enough here that Morrison has some time to lay down sigils.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

More like DEFECTIVE Comics

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
G-Mo probably has numerous active spells inked into his skin that protect him from Moore's magic so it'll come down to an old fashioned fist fight. Grant's written more Batman comics so I gotta give him the edge.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Would you like this thread to consistently read like these last few horrible pages? Business practices were the topic over comic books about 70% of the time during the N52 and it was pretty dreadful.
Maybe there isn't a "but Eddie Bazinga" caveat every time somebody says "Today's Superman was real swell!" But it's not like he's not discussed whenever it's actually pertinent.

I found it was pertinent to the conversation but not being mentioned at all, which was more or less my point. Perhaps I expressed it poorly, my bad.

Mr Hootington posted:

I finished reading Vigilante tonight. It is a good, but extremely problematic book once you figure out some of the troubling themes. Like the overarching theme of a rich, white, conservative bringing justice down on the poor, the minority, or the addicted who is menacing the fellow rich, white people. At the same time there are moments that are very liberal in its ideas or thoughts, but the book doesn't turn the corner into them. In fact there is an issue that swerved into objectivism and how the homeless have the right way of living because of it. The book also paints the Vigilantes as bad, which they are, but needed tools to keep the "rough element" in check.

The book reads like a trumper fan fiction if one of them wrote a comic book today.

That sounds like some sort of bizarre mirror universe version of Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind. Who's the writer of that run?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Morrison and Moore have fought before, as pirates.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's no universe in which Grant Morrison is as powerful a wizard as Alan Moore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rhyno posted:

G-Mo probably has numerous active spells inked into his skin that protect him from Moore's magic so it'll come down to an old fashioned fist fight. Grant's written more Batman comics so I gotta give him the edge.

True, but I'm p sure every englishman keeps a few knives on him and I don't know if Morrison is as good at disarming as batman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grant would just summon a magical Batman to fight for him.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Dark Souls taught me summoning help is always cheating!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gus rules ok posted:

I found it was pertinent to the conversation but not being mentioned at all, which was more or less my point. Perhaps I expressed it poorly, my bad.

That sounds like some sort of bizarre mirror universe version of Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind. Who's the writer of that run?

Marv Wolfman for the first half and Paul Kupperberg for the last half. It really is a bizarre comic. there is an arc where the IraniansQuracians were the bad guys poisoning the precious rich, white children with crack to destroy the countries foundation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Incidentally,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morrison and Moore have fought before, as pirates.

I skipped over commenting on this before, but I wanted to say that the subway vagrant-pirates were one of my favorite bits of Seven Soldiers and I wish someone would revisit it and a lot of the other neat little details about the DC world it added in

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Moore would try to trap Morrison in a nine panel grid, described with meticulous detail. Grant would become aware that he's in an argument on a message board, and use Quitely to confuse everyone with experimental layouts.

Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch use a Quija to contact Roz Kirby, so they can find out what Kirby is building in the afterlife. Wait, that was actually a story Millar told.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love comic books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wish someone would revisit it

Tsk tsk. Someone hasn't been reading their Midnighter.
http://www.cbr.com/midnighter-and-apollo-1/

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
:aaa: Well, now I'll have to!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

"All of Frank Miller's work is about whores. ALL OF IT. IT'S ALL WHORES.

WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES
WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES.

Just like in that Shortpacked comic, WHORES WHORES WHORES, ha ha I showed that motherfucker, always writing about whores. Like in Sin City, and uh

um

er

well, Catwoman in Year One

and uh

well those are the only two that spring to mind but gently caress him if he thinks I'm going to read like thirty issues of Daredevil screaming WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES over and over again

Give Me Liberty? GIVE ME WHORES
Ronin? More like WHORENIN
300? MORE LIKE 300 WHOR-

Daredevil also has the whores thing as a pretty huge plot point. How could you forget that.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just noticed a listing on Amazon for Peter David's Young Justice getting new trades. I've been waiting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nuns with Guns posted:

realtalk here: If Alan Moore got into a wizard fight with Grant Morrison who would win? I imagine Alan is some type of prepared spellcaster, so he'd have powers at the ready but we can also leave the scenario open enough here that Morrison has some time to lay down sigils.

I imagine that Moore is akin to Spider Jerusalem, hermiting away and spellcasting for his own sake, until reluctantly sucked back into wizardy due to G-Mo's increasing magical influence. While Moore is the more powerful wizard, Morrison has the infrastructure and the influence to keep his reign. Moore would win, though it's just take some time, probably 100 issues, 112 max.