Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Time posted:

your math is really bad if you think a rental of a guy who explicitly said he would only sign a deal with the lakers is better than keeping that draft pick, which they can still use to trade for someone who will sign a deal with them.

Ainge is annoying as hell to be sure, but Paul George isn't good enough to go all in on for a year. Stop making me defend that Mormon idiot or the equally stupid celtics, drat

If you think Paul George literally has a zero percent chance of resigning than fair enough. I mean how realistic do you think that assumption actually is? Especially if he's on a Boston team with Hayward?

My point is the range is pretty wide and I don't think anyone says that the math is very clear cut.

Let's set the confidence interval somewhat wide:

75% Chance the Nets pick is top 5, 50% chance All-Star with that pick: 37.5% breakeven on PG resigning
90% Chance the Nets pick is top 5, 75% chance All-Star with that pick: 67.5% breakeven on PG resigning

I think at the most fair to Danny Ainge that range is a push.

And that's not even considering the fact that a Celtics team that signs PG is more likely to attract a second star, which makes the probability of re-signing PG even higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Eastern Conference

Bucks are going to be the 4th or even 3rd seed.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

GobiasIndustries posted:

Russ, George, Gay...then what, Adams & some no-name for the other guard spot?

Roberson can be played more with that lineup

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I almost wish the Sixers traded Okafor and uh, Jerred Bayless and Gerlad Henderson for PG right now

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Roberson I guess?

e.f.b.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

DRE BABY

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Woj is probably dying right now. guy is going to quit before he starts just to tweet

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I almost wish the Sixers traded Okafor and uh, Jerred Bayless and Gerlad Henderson for PG right now

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Eltoasto posted:

That's not what he said, he said he's going to elect to become a free agent (no brainer) and as of right now his preferred destination is the Lakers.

he has used every mouthpiece at his disposal except his own to make this known and sabotaged his trade value intentionally in the process. This is not a guy you go in on

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

Woj is probably dying right now. guy is going to quit before he starts just to tweet

Woj officially joined ESPN 2 days ago
Suddenly random espn people are breaking news
Hmmmm

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hmmmm

i'm imagining woj, chewing up the big scoops and regurgitating them into the smaller waiting mouths of ramona shelburne and jeff goodman

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hmmmm

All this is means is that there is something nuclear that he'll tweet out at 12:01 and all of our heads will explode.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
In the good all days the New York Knicks would have to have given up a first rounder to dump someone like Oladipo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

That Brooklyn pick is also a crapshoot. They could sign a couple guys and be better next year. Chicago, Sacramento, and Indiana are probably worse than them right now. Orlando isn't far off either. It could be the 6th or 7th pick.

Take another look at that roster, it's on fire. They just moved Brook who was their only player to sniff 5 WS or have a shot at starting anywhere else in the league, got back a worse guy (with a better upside, it was a good deal but not an immediate improvement) and they have ~20 mil to spend I think but no one will want to go there. It's a top 5 pick for sure and so is LA.

Time posted:

your math is really bad if you think a rental of a guy who explicitly said he would only sign a deal with the lakers is better than keeping that draft pick, which they can still use to trade for someone who will sign a deal with them.

Ainge is annoying as hell to be sure, but Paul George isn't good enough to go all in on for a year. Stop making me defend that Mormon idiot or the equally stupid celtics, drat

Same

Charlz Guybon posted:

Chris Paul, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, all sold for peanuts.

With their assets the Celtics could be starting Al Horford, Chris Paul, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, and Thomas/Bradley if Ainge went all in. Who cares if you're renting George, that's a title team.

No actually they could not add 60 million in salary for picks hahahaha what are you talking about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pubic works project posted:

All this is means is that there is something nuclear that he'll tweet out at 12:01 and all of our heads will explode.

Lowry probably

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

DRE BABY

Forgot about dre :doh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This thread is going so fast. Has anyone mentioned that Teague is probably going to Minnesota?

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880961199059476480

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/kosiszn/status/880972318499057664

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
*sets time machine to June 10th, 2016, bursts into my own living room*

Future self: KEVIN DURANT IS GOING TO JOIN THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS AFTER THEY BLOW A 3-1 LEAD IN THE FINALS THEN PRESTI WILL TRADE VICTOR OLADIPO AND ARVYDAS SABONIS' SON FOR PAUL GEORGE WITH ONE YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT

Past self: what the gently caress man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

This thread is going so fast. Has anyone mentioned that Teague is probably going to Minnesota?

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880961199059476480

Yeah was discussed

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

GobiasIndustries posted:

:stare:
Should I laugh more at Indiana for turning that trade down or Boston for sucking that much at trades?

If you add that to the 3 first rounders they tried to trade for Justise Winslow, it makes 7 first rounders. Other teams either don't like picks or there were insane protections and strings attached

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

poo poo got deleted

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

You'll have that pick for more than a year if it's a star, you don't have to give up a rotation guy on a good deal (Boston has no bad deals and can't do an OkC move where George leaving is still a moral victory), and the timeline for that pick matches their other assets better. They may be picking 1/2 next year and Paul George is a borderline all star, more like a top 30 guy than a centerpiece. He's had one really good season and a handful of solid ones, by the numbers you'd be hard pressed to call him even a top 30 dude I'm being generous cause I like him

What's the point of having a rotation guy on a good deal if you're planning for the future? If the Celtics aren't going to compete for a championship, what's the point in having a great 4th guy on a decent contract? Plus we know from the Sixers that it's tough to just draft a ton of young guys because eventually you'll have to move one because they can't all play at the same time.

Look at the end of the day the goal of any NBA team is to win a championship. The Celtics went from being in the ECF and in position to add 2 All-Stars to their team and just loving whiffed

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know everyone is "NEW CAP EVERY DEAL IS A GOOD DEAL" but $18M a year for Teague is not that great. 4 years ago if your team would have paid $10-12M for an average starting PG that will be on the wrong side of 30 for most of the deal when you already had a PG that was arguably better, you wouldn't have been too thrilled

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

East GMs.

https://twitter.com/DanFeldmanNBA/status/880983653190438913

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

poo poo, I watch plenty of NBA, and...

who??

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I know everyone is "NEW CAP EVERY DEAL IS A GOOD DEAL" but $18M a year for Teague is not that great. 4 years ago if your team would have paid $10-12M for an average starting PG that will be on the wrong side of 30 for most of the deal when you already had a PG that was arguably better, you wouldn't have been too thrilled

That seems high but at least it's short and Minnesota isn't exactly a top destination for free agents. Plus you need a decent PG to win in this league and there are only so many out there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whose getting Mozgov money at midnight

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

poo poo, I watch plenty of NBA, and...

who??

twitter people are trying to say he's the jazz's best perimeter defender????

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Away all Goats posted:

Whose getting Mozgov money at midnight

We're about to pay the 15-20th best point guard in the league 30mil a year.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Joe Ingles balled out against the clippers during the playoffs. It was hard to watch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That jrue deal

Whoa boy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/mikescriba/status/880981421741019136

Err wrong tweet but ill let it ride

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/880973894609514496

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Big Four and Also One More Who is Outstanding at Basketball but Very Much Not Big

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/880984160629702656

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Adun posted:

I find it really strange that NBA fans overvalue potential production for known production.

I mean it makes sense for GMs, it keeps them employed

For one year and he's publicly stated he's going to LA after. PG doesn't make them better than GS this coming year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

The Big Four and Also One More Who is Outstanding at Basketball but Very Much Not Big

It's called the box and 1

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So since the Rockets are meeting with Amir Johnson, what happened to him? Is he still a reasonably good defensive player? I've barely watched him ball in Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

warcrimes posted:

For one year and he's publicly stated he's going to LA after. PG doesn't make them better than GS this coming year.

DON'T NEED TO BE BETTER TO WHOOP YOUR rear end

• Locked thread