Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

g0del posted:

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2153318/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/star-trek-online-alliance-reborn-matha-bundle
Free T6 ship and some inventory slots here. Useful for the newer players who don't already have all the ships they need.

I already have a Mat'Ha :mad:

But the added bank/inventory slots is still nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Had a fun new (terrible) experience today. Just so I've got this right, there is no mechanic to replenish a group during a TFO if people leave, leaving you in a situation where you can't possibly finish the mission, and then you get a 30 minute lockout timer when you give up in frustration? For every fun thing I find in this game, there is something else loving awful that ruins my day.

I feel like I should do something other than vent so I'll ask - what's the best way to improve your survivability? The TFO in question was To Hell With Honor and I was getting shredded by the ground turrets anytime I wasn't at least 10.1K off the ground. Should I prioritize taking my shield to Mk XV, or try and out-regen the damage with more Shield Healing or something else entirely?

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 26, 2021

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

There is a TFO for the Only Qo'noS Endures! event that you can run as a solo AFK if you just want to score the daily progress with minimal effort: To Hell With Honor. Go to the Private tab of the TFO selection screen, pick To Hell With Honor, fly to a corner of the screen and go fold some laundry while the TFO runs its course, get your 2 daily progress tokens while appreciating the synergy of mocking honor in name and deed playing that TFO this way. You can run the others solo as well, but you actually have to do stuff in them to progress.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I already had the elite services pack but was able to claim/apply it again from the Mat'Ha giveaway despite it being a "ONCE PER ACCOUNT" thing. YMMV, I suppose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peyote Panda posted:

There is a TFO for the Only Qo'noS Endures! event that you can run as a solo AFK if you just want to score the daily progress with minimal effort: To Hell With Honor. Go to the Private tab of the TFO selection screen, pick To Hell With Honor, fly to a corner of the screen and go fold some laundry while the TFO runs its course, get your 2 daily progress tokens while appreciating the synergy of mocking honor in name and deed playing that TFO this way. You can run the others solo as well, but you actually have to do stuff in them to progress.

Are you sure? It's been sitting there on the 'Destroy the Lukara' for a while now, and the Lukara's still at full health.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

g0del posted:

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2153318/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/star-trek-online-alliance-reborn-matha-bundle
Free T6 ship and some inventory slots here. Useful for the newer players who don't already have all the ships they need.

Thank you! I was able to get a code and redeem it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

kaynorr posted:

Had a fun new (terrible) experience today. Just so I've got this right, there is no mechanic to replenish a group during a TFO if people leave, leaving you in a situation where you can't possibly finish the mission, and then you get a 30 minute lockout timer when you give up in frustration? For every fun thing I find in this game, there is something else loving awful that ruins my day.
I thought the game only gave the leaver penalty to the first couple of people leaving, but evidently that's not the case. Sorry about that. I almost never see that, but I could see it happening more often to lower DPS players.

quote:

I feel like I should do something other than vent so I'll ask - what's the best way to improve your survivability? The TFO in question was To Hell With Honor and I was getting shredded by the ground turrets anytime I wasn't at least 10.1K off the ground. Should I prioritize taking my shield to Mk XV, or try and out-regen the damage with more Shield Healing or something else entirely?
The general solution in this game to dying too often is increasing your DPS. Tanking as seen in other MMOs doesn't really apply here. The disco rep space set gives some nice hull healing with the 2pc, which is why so many people run the shield and core. Hull Image Refractors is a decent emergency heal universal console with a good passive - it's about 7-8m on the PC exchange. Honored Dead is a good starship trait for survivability, and it's cheap on the exchange if you're not KDF.

You want to focus more on hull healing and regen than shield. Too many things in the game either strip or ignore shields to rely on them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Between different codes I've redeemed like three elite services packs now on the same guy lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As well if your ship has a lot of engineering may as well use Reverse Shield Polarity over DEM. It's a crutch but hey, it keeps you alive. But really the biggest thing is Iconian tier 2 rep trait that heals your hull with energy damage and the Hull Image Refractor, huuuuuge boost to survivability there, especially with the Disco 2pc added in.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Are you sure? It's been sitting there on the 'Destroy the Lukara' for a while now, and the Lukara's still at full health.
Yeah, if you let it sit there for a while it'll eventually just go Operation Complete as the Lukara flees the scene. Rough timing is about18 minutes total for the entire TFO, about 9 minutes to get to "Destroy the Lukara" and another 9 minutes or so until that times out (though it doesn't show a time counter for the latter part). You don't even have to move as it turns out, just let yourself get blown up when the ships spawn around your starting point and don't bother respawning, the TFO will still run to its conclusion.

Peyote Panda fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 26, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the new special event, is there anything on the list of TFOs that you can solo AFK?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

I said come in! posted:

For the new special event, is there anything on the list of TFOs that you can solo AFK?
Yup, To Hell With Honor. That's the one I was yammering about in the post right before yours.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kojei posted:

I already had the elite services pack but was able to claim/apply it again from the Mat'Ha giveaway despite it being a "ONCE PER ACCOUNT" thing. YMMV, I suppose.
Yeah they're supposed to be once per character but if you have multiple alts you can claim those service packs multiple times for each. And sometimes multiple times on the same character, since Cryptic.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Peyote Panda posted:

Yup, To Hell With Honor. That's the one I was yammering about in the post right before yours.

Note that it doesn't count for progress if you completely forget you were logged in and the game logs you out while you're doing something else for 2 hours.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Preechr posted:

Note that it doesn't count for progress if you completely forget you were logged in and the game logs you out while you're doing something else for 2 hours.
That's probably due to their fix for a bug that existed in the game earlier this year, but I don't want to give more details on an open forum.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

g0del posted:

That's probably due to their fix for a bug that existed in the game earlier this year, but I don't want to give more details on an open forum.

Why?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Asimo posted:

Yeah they're supposed to be once per character but if you have multiple alts you can claim those service packs multiple times for each. And sometimes multiple times on the same character, since Cryptic.

STO is an 11 year old game, based on a 15 year old game, which is based on the notes Cryptic took with them on a 17 year old game. It's a minor wonder we don't occasionally just find ourselves on fire.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

STO is an 11 year old game, based on a 15 year old game, which is based on the notes Cryptic took with them on a 17 year old game. It's a minor wonder we don't occasionally just find ourselves on fire.

They patched that mission out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, if it was something active and currently exploited that'd be one thing, but who cares about old patched bugs? We already know how big a mess STO is.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

As well if your ship has a lot of engineering may as well use Reverse Shield Polarity over DEM. It's a crutch but hey, it keeps you alive. But really the biggest thing is Iconian tier 2 rep trait that heals your hull with energy damage and the Hull Image Refractor, huuuuuge boost to survivability there, especially with the Disco 2pc added in.

For disco 2 piece, you're meaning tilly shield and core or shield/impulse?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Iymarra posted:

Correct, shield/core.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Yeah, if it was something active and currently exploited that'd be one thing, but who cares about old patched bugs? We already know how big a mess STO is.
It's not that old and they never officially listed the fix in their patch notes. But basically, during one of the big events earlier this year letting the event reward screen time out instead of choosing a reward could bug the daily timer, letting you finish the event in one day without buying it out. You still had to run however many event TFOs were required, but you could grind them all out in one day.

Iymarra posted:

Shield/core, because the usual impulse choice is the prevailing one from the comp rep.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I applied it to the same character as before. A pleasant surprise, to be honest, my butt dimension is huge now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If I had to make a guess I suspect it's because the c-store version is a one-time unlock, but the promo ones are technically a separate item/unlock because they have no idea how to actually operate a storefront. :toot:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Every time I apply some 3rd party website free stuff code that include the Elite Services pack it seems (for me at least) to reset whether or not I can claim it again on characters. I don't think I've paid for inv/bank slots in forever and I still have some slots in token form stored in my account bank.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I realise I keep asking about ship vs ship but uh..

Vor'ral or legendary Vor'cha - ignoring price point, which is less poo poo?

Also man I really wish that the disco klank ship I fly (Qugh/fleet qugh) did the disco-klank style warp. Would be nice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you hung on the map transfer screen for the duration of a full instance it used to count as participating, AND you'd be dropped into some random group's instance if you let it finish the transfer after the TFO instance was destroyed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They accidentally made every planet in sector space gigantic. Nice work.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's your regular reminder that Cryptic didn't(/couldn't) actually make sector space maps larger when they combined sectors, they just made everything on the map smaller instead. Until it bugs and suddenly isn't.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

They accidentally made every planet in sector space gigantic. Nice work.

:eyepop:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peyote Panda posted:

Yeah, if you let it sit there for a while it'll eventually just go Operation Complete as the Lukara flees the scene. Rough timing is about18 minutes total for the entire TFO, about 9 minutes to get to "Destroy the Lukara" and another 9 minutes or so until that times out (though it doesn't show a time counter for the latter part). You don't even have to move as it turns out, just let yourself get blown up when the ships spawn around your starting point and don't bother respawning, the TFO will still run to its conclusion.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, then, I sat on 'Defeat the Lukara' for almost an hour. Even tried approaching the Lukara and spawned the reinforcements. No aggro on me cloaked, nothing happened.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 26, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So if you want the new romulus pokemons that you cant get if you foolishly did the missions back in the day, you can do it with a buddy, they can share the mission with you or just scan the animals themselves until they turn red and you can catch them.

I tried to get a red animal on an alt then quickly swap to my main for the altai ones and the animal disappeared, but it works fine as a duo.

If you want to reset the progress on the % counter thing so the mission doesnt complete, you can just drop/share the mission back and forth again too.

I dont think you actually have to do anything on new romulus with your alt to get access to the missions, I took an old contraband alt there and was able to just run to the altai and start the mission. I hadnt done the crater one on my main but apparently I had done the altai one.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The moon mission is one of the best STFs cryptic has ever made, and its extremely fast just to do as a pug.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

So if you want the new romulus pokemons that you cant get if you foolishly did the missions back in the day, you can do it with a buddy, they can share the mission with you or just scan the animals themselves until they turn red and you can catch them.

I tried to get a red animal on an alt then quickly swap to my main for the altai ones and the animal disappeared, but it works fine as a duo.

If you want to reset the progress on the % counter thing so the mission doesnt complete, you can just drop/share the mission back and forth again too.

I dont think you actually have to do anything on new romulus with your alt to get access to the missions, I took an old contraband alt there and was able to just run to the altai and start the mission. I hadnt done the crater one on my main but apparently I had done the altai one.
You can also catch them from other players in PVP. That's how I got the kdf-only worm on my fedrom. If someone can find a driclae to share around I'll have them all.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Re: Solo AFKing To Hell With Honor

Cythereal posted:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, then, I sat on 'Defeat the Lukara' for almost an hour. Even tried approaching the Lukara and spawned the reinforcements. No aggro on me cloaked, nothing happened.
Wish I knew what might be triggering that. I've been consistently able to wait it out by just selecting a solo private match and literally not doing a thing when the TFO starts. My ship gets blown up pretty quickly and I don't even bother respawning, just waiting 18 minutes or so for the Operation Complete to pop up (or more accurately, coming back 22-24 minutes later for the transition screen and pressing the button to continue and double-checking that I got my progress tokens.

The mission map does look pretty cool. I should actually try playing the mission with some other dudes sometime but the last thing I want to do while playing an MMO about a franchise celebrating mutual cooperation for the betterment of all is to directly interact with other players, antisocial gently caress that I am.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peyote Panda posted:

Wish I knew what might be triggering that. I've been consistently able to wait it out by just selecting a solo private match and literally not doing a thing when the TFO starts. My ship gets blown up pretty quickly and I don't even bother respawning, just waiting 18 minutes or so for the Operation Complete to pop up (or more accurately, coming back 22-24 minutes later for the transition screen and pressing the button to continue and double-checking that I got my progress tokens.

Hmmm. I'll try actually engaging and suiciding, see if that works.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. I'll try actually engaging and suiciding, see if that works.
You don't even have to actively engage to do that. At some point in the TFO enemy ships spawn close enough to the starting point to blow you up if you're just hanging there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That did it!

It was the fact that I was never entering combat that was the problem.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 27, 2021

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Cythereal posted:

That did it!

Nice! Always glad to see one more passenger on the Easy Event Train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

That did it!

Can you clarify what exactly you did differently that fixed it, because I've now tried idling, entering combat, not entering combat and just sort of letting myself die and I'm just getting the eternal Defeat the Lukara thing.