Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I know we get less light in the winter, but is the quality of light also diminished? I swear even the noon sun doesn't really help me from November to March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Beachcomber posted:

I know we get less light in the winter, but is the quality of light also diminished? I swear even the noon sun doesn't really help me from November to March.

UV intensity is proportional to the angle of the sun in the sky. The closer to the horizon, the more time the light spends passing through the atmosphere where certain wavelengths are absorbed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dokmo posted:

I just moved into a place with a water softener. I've never had one of these things before. Problem is, it is cranked way too salty. Is there a way to adjust it? I couldn't figure it out.

What do you mean "cranked way too salty"? If you literally have a salt taste to you water the softener is broken. The salt is only used to clean the media that softens your water. The last part of the cycle is to rinse all the salt out of it. You should never be able to taste it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'll be driving through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia as part of a move. I've got most of a fifth of rum that I'd prefer not to get rid of. If it's in my trunk, will I have to worry about it?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm trying to find an mst3k clip where crow makes a mistake or faux pas, he laughs and says "boy is my face red". I think it's from the Mike Nelson era, but I can't remember exactly. Googling didn't really help much. Any ideas?

Edit: found it. It's in Space Mutiny for anyone interested.

I can never get time stamps to work, but around 24:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa42pxJyq64

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 9, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hooah posted:

I'll be driving through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia as part of a move. I've got most of a fifth of rum that I'd prefer not to get rid of. If it's in my trunk, will I have to worry about it?

Nah, if it's not "easily reachable" then you're good. Just make sure it doesn't roll around and bust open making your whole car smell like booze. I can tell you from experience that's a problem.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

hooah posted:

Made that drive many times and would have loved that rum in my stomach! Don't drink and drive folks, but that stretch really sucks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of which, has anyone driven long distances recently? Specifically across states like Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. I might have to make a drive like that soon and I'm wondering if folks are actually wearing masks in the rest stops. Or am I better off bringing a bunch of empty Gatorade bottles instead?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I just did a round trip from OKC to Chicago by way of STL and mostly stopped at the big name chains, Loves, TA, Flying J, etc. In those 100% of the staff and 50-75% of the patrons had masks. The places with slot machines were the worst on the ratios. In general it seems like it was local patrons who weren't wearing them. I gave them a wide berth and never stayed inside for more than a few mins though, enough to grab a piss and buy a soda.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

There are a few factors at play here.

Yesterday, in New York City, the Sun hit zenith at just under thirty‐two and one half degrees above the horizon, on or near noon. On July eighth, it reached that height at eight thirty in the morning. The intensity of sunlight is roughly the same at those two times.

The difference is that in July, it continued climbing for four and a half hours after that, peaking past seventy‐one degrees. Noon on these two days are very different things as far as sunlight is concerned.

Methanar mentioned that the lower the Sun is, the more air mass it goes through on its way to the ground. Another factor is that when light comes in at a shallow angle, there’s less of it per acre of level ground. Imagine you’re in a room with a bare lightbulb. You hold a clipboard. If you put the board flat‐on to the light, it casts a shadow of maximum size. As you tilt it toward edge on, it casts a smaller shadow, intercepting less light.

It’s the same with any region on the surface of the Earth. The closer the Sun is the horizon, the less light falls on that region. It’s not just fewer hours of sunlight that makes winter cooler. The remaining sunlight is on average less intense, too.

The final factor works against the others: the Earth’s orbit brings it slightly closer to the Sun in the northern hemisphere’s winter. We’re closest in early January and farthest in early July. The difference in sunlight intensity, for equal angles, is about one part in eight. This makes the northern hemisphere’s seasons milder and the southern hemisphere’s seasons more extreme. We’ll swap in a dozen millennia or so. This is one of the factors that causes ice ages.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 9, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
For more reading on the cycles that cause perturbations in the climate a great place to start is the Wikipedia page on Milankovitch Cycles.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a way to send and receive messages on Instagram without having the IG app installed? I read somewhere that Facebook Messenger + Instagram merged together but I don't see any option on my app.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I just saw Peter Dinklage in the meme thread and was reminded of a movie I tried watching that he was in a while back

It took place in Germany essentially present day, and the film was completely in German until his character showed up. When he'd have a conversation with somebody else, he'd talk exclusively in English and they'd respond in German. I kinda figured at some point they'd mix the two languages, or one would switch over, or that it would otherwise be acknowledged in some way, but it never happened.

As somebody who's American and never had the privilege to travel outside the US, is that actually representative of real bilingual exchanges for modern day Germany or was that just a weird directorial choice? I wasn't really sure where to ask beyond kramering into an actual German thread :sweatdrop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone else would have to tell you how common that sort of conversation is in Germany, but I can tell you how it happens.

It’s pretty common for people to have more competence in understanding a language than in forming original thoughts in that language. It’s called “passive bilingualism”. If a person grows up, say, consuming English‐language media but having little reason to converse in English, they could be a passive speaker of English.

If two people meet, where they aren’t active speaker of a shared language, but each is a passively speaker of a language spoken by the other, that sort of conversation results.

It can be frustrating when trying to raise a child as bilingual. The kid understands the second language but takes the low‐effort approach of only responding in the dominant language.

TVTropes has many examples of it in fiction and some anecdotes about real‐life instances.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 9, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I just saw Peter Dinklage in the meme thread and was reminded of a movie I tried watching that he was in a while back

It took place in Germany essentially present day, and the film was completely in German until his character showed up. When he'd have a conversation with somebody else, he'd talk exclusively in English and they'd respond in German. I kinda figured at some point they'd mix the two languages, or one would switch over, or that it would otherwise be acknowledged in some way, but it never happened.

As somebody who's American and never had the privilege to travel outside the US, is that actually representative of real bilingual exchanges for modern day Germany or was that just a weird directorial choice? I wasn't really sure where to ask beyond kramering into an actual German thread :sweatdrop:

Sounds to me like a directorial decision to make peter stand out even more than usual.

Unless peter actually speaks german, it wouldn't make for a great real world 2 way conversation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In my experience, it’s not unusual for Germans to have poor or no English skills if they aren’t in groups that have a lot of international contact (tourism, academics, etc). It’s a pretty big country!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone driven long distances recently? Specifically across states like Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. I might have to make a drive like that soon and I'm wondering if folks are actually wearing masks in the rest stops. Or am I better off bringing a bunch of empty Gatorade bottles instead?

Anywhere rural and it's very likely nobody is wearing a mask, including the staff.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why do most Canadians hate Ontario, specifically Toronto?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

It can be frustrating when trying to raise a child as bilingual. The kid understands the second language but takes the low‐effort approach of only responding in the dominant language.
That's what happened to me -- my father is from Italy and spoke Italian to me when I was growing up, but I would answer him in English. So now I can understand spoken Italian fairly well, but I struggle to speak it. It's frustrating to know that somewhere in my brain is stored the Italian word for [xyz] but I can't retrieve it on command to speak it, only to comprehend it.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I don't know if it's fair to say Canadians *hate* Toronto, exactly. But Torontonians/Ontarians have a reputation of thinking Toronto/Ontario is the best/most important/only important part of Canada. This ticks off other Canadians. There's also a general unhappiness in "Western" Canada because that's a really dumb name and those four provinces don't have much in common, but because Ontario/Quebec call it Western Canada that's just what it's called now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

There are a few factors at play here.

Yesterday, in New York City, the Sun hit zenith at just under thirty‐two and one half degrees above the horizon, on or near noon. On July eighth, it reached that height at eight thirty in the morning. The intensity of sunlight is roughly the same at those two times.

The difference is that in July, it continued climbing for four and a half hours after that, peaking past seventy‐one degrees. Noon on these two days are very different things as far as sunlight is concerned.

Methanar mentioned that the lower the Sun is, the more air mass it goes through on its way to the ground. Another factor is that when light comes in at a shallow angle, there’s less of it per acre of level ground. Imagine you’re in a room with a bare lightbulb. You hold a clipboard. If you put the board flat‐on to the light, it casts a shadow of maximum size. As you tilt it toward edge on, it casts a smaller shadow, intercepting less light.

It’s the same with any region on the surface of the Earth. The closer the Sun is the horizon, the less light falls on that region. It’s not just fewer hours of sunlight that makes winter cooler. The remaining sunlight is on average less intense, too.

The final factor works against the others: the Earth’s orbit brings it slightly closer to the Sun in the northern hemisphere’s winter. We’re closest in early January and farthest in early July. The difference in sunlight intensity, for equal angles, is about one part in eight. This makes the northern hemisphere’s seasons milder and the southern hemisphere’s seasons more extreme. We’ll swap in a dozen millennia or so. This is one of the factors that causes ice ages.

Thanks! Several times we've ended up in Australia and/or the tropics for a few weeks during winter, but that's unlikely to happen again, especially this year.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Grouchio posted:

Toronto is the largest english speaking bloc and near the center of the federal government and therefore gets the most attention to the detriment of the rest.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Toronto also has the dubious honour of launching Doug Ford's career - first as a council member and now premier of Ontario. He's the closest we've got to a Trump-like figure, a spot which otherwise would have been taken by his late brother, Rob Ford. I don't know what it is about large municipal governments, but they spawn some terrible politicians. Rob (former mayor of Toronto) passed away after a long and sordid career of drug and alchohol abuse, petty corruption and scandalous outbursts.

OK, there's a question. Boris Johnson, Giuliani, the Fords... seriously, what it is it about large cities that creates such terrible politicians?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think it's more if your someone who craves power and the benefits that come from it you work your way through to the largest city you can find. That's why people like mcconnel and pelosi end up in dc, it's where the power is. The fords and guiliani couldn't push past being in charge of a city yet but they tried. If you are looking for power because it's a way to do something in particular you have a decent chance of coming out ok like aoc or ilhan. If you're looking for power because you want to make someone else pay because you were bullied as a kid you become a trump

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

That sounds weird as gently caress. I've been around plenty of foreigners with varying degrees of fluency in Danish, and the conversation is always either in English or in Danish, though sometimes switching up a bit. But never just one person speaking English and the other person speaking Danish.

Except my ex girlfriend, whose father was English. Dinner conversation would be in Danish, except for the dad who would speak English to his daughters, and Danish to his wife. Everyone answered in Danish, except me. I just spent ten seconds trying to pick a language and didn't get to say anything.
This only applied when dinner conversation was not reciting Shakespeare. That was fully English and equally hard to join.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Can anyone help me find a video or a sound clip wherein an anthropomorphic bug-lady speaks?

I'm working on an audio thing and I'm trying to give a person direction on how to speak as a sexy bug lady, but she just sounds like a sexy lady. I'm trying to find an example of an "alien bug lady"... I like the sexy voice she's putting on, it just needs to sound alien. But good lord I can't believe what an awful time I'm having trying to find a bug lady speaking. All I get are ladybugs, a ton of Lego videos fighting Shelob (does she speak?? I could have sworn she spoke in the books but I can't find an example in the movies or the cartoons) and everything except what I'm looking for :\

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bugs can't talk IRL so any of it will be up to the artistic discretion of whoever makes the media it's in. I dunno what the voice performer could really do other than talk normally and have someone use post-production to add in clicky sounds like a mandible moving and poo poo?

Not specifically insect but Zerg Kerrigan seems like a decent prototype to use :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTb-G6dyu0

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A sexy bug lady would sound a lot like SNL's Victoria Jackson imo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

regulargonzalez posted:

A sexy bug lady would sound a lot like SNL's Victoria Jackson imo

Ha, that's pretty accurate, you know, thinking of just the shrillness of it in your ears.

Actually, what I should have asked was, could someone think of an example in film, cartoons, television, whatever of what you think of as "an insectoid female"? Kerrigan is a good one, and Victoria Jackson. Maybe if I told this person to try and combine the two.

VVVV Well, gently caress, here's a weird question. Why can I play every single YouTube video EXCEPT this one? It just stays on a loading loop. No other videos do this. What the hell is going on is this supernatural VVVV

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 10, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I got you, friend

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H5kEG5nLA

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My father is 79 years old and is dealing with a lot of stress right now due to my mother's health problems. I want to get him a Medical Marijuana card, in a state with legal medical marijuana. How does someone go about getting approved for Medical Marijuana? I would assume the family doctor couldn't do it, unless he can?
Edit: Does https://www.armmjcards.com look legit? You pay $100, present with a compliant, and they prescribe the card? Seems a bit scammy to me. It's again not for me, for my father who has been drinking gin and I really want to help him, and he wants it.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 10, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If you're in a state with legal medical marijuana, then yes, a doctor writes you the prescription for a card. Then you take the card to the dispensary, they check it, and sell you your weed.

edit: Arkansas looks like you need to have a qualifying condition.

From here: https://www.arkansasmarijuanacard.com/qualify-for-arkansas-marijuana-card

quote:

The following is a list of the current qualifying conditions:

Cancer

Glaucoma

Positive status for HIV/AIDS

Hepatitis C

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)

Tourette’s syndrome

Crohn’s disease

Ulcerative colitis

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

Severe arthritis

Fibromyalgia

Alzheimer’s disease

A chronic or debilitating disease/medical condition/treatment that produces one or more of the following:

Cachexia, or wasting syndrome​

Intractable pain, or pain that has not responded to ordinary treatment or surgical methods for more than six (6) months

Peripheral neuropathy

Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy

Severe nausea

Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis (MS)

Any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the Arkansas Board of Health

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cheese Thief posted:

My father is 79 years old and is dealing with a lot of stress right now due to my mother's health problems. I want to get him a Medical Marijuana card, in a state with legal medical marijuana. How does someone go about getting approved for Medical Marijuana? I would assume the family doctor couldn't do it, unless he can?
Edit: Does https://www.armmjcards.com look legit? You pay $100, present with a compliant, and they prescribe the card? Seems a bit scammy to me. It's again not for me, for my father who has been drinking gin and I really want to help him, and he wants it.
Even in states where it's legal, you usually have to find a marijuana doctor to write you the prescription, since a lot of doctors don't want to risk their medical license prescribing something that's federally illegal. I have no idea whether or not that particular site is reliable, though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How could I forget Antagone, I'm ashamed

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

drat, so beaten.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Thanatosian posted:

Even in states where it's legal, you usually have to find a marijuana doctor to write you the prescription, since a lot of doctors don't want to risk their medical license prescribing something that's federally illegal. I have no idea whether or not that particular site is reliable, though.

It would require 2 doctors visits at least, 1 to get the diagnosis. I mean he's going on 80, I think a diagnosis of severe arthritis wouldn't be hard to get. And I'm sure it's true but he's so stoic to admit to it. If my mother lives I know she has all of the qualifying conditions and should have already had her card. I'll talk to him about it more and try to get him to the doctor for a diagnosis. Thanks

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have a Chuddagedon salt thread like we had the Sweet Liberal Tears thread in 2016?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Check the Arkansas medical marijuana sub on Reddit, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do and which clinics are legit / easiest to use.

Honestly don't think of it like you're going to a "real" doctor and asking for a bottle of Oxy's, they want to approve you as long as you don't give them a reason not to.* You'll probably be surprised at how easy it is.

Edit: *here in Ohio, at least.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 10, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Check the Arkansas medical marijuana sub on Reddit, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do and which clinics are legit / easiest to use.

Honestly don't think of it like you're going to a "real" doctor and asking for a bottle of Oxy's, they want to approve you as long as you don't give them a reason not to.* You'll probably be surprised at how easy it is.

Edit: *here in Ohio, at least.

Not being a person who liked being high I have no idea how any of this works so here's my stupid question:

Who are these doctors? PCPS with a belief in the legalization of pot? Hippies who happen to have medical licenses? Doctors who truly believe in the efficacy of medical Marijuana but also DGAF if randos get their medical card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Slimy Hog posted:

Not being a person who liked being high I have no idea how any of this works so here's my stupid question:

Who are these doctors? PCPS with a belief in the legalization of pot? Hippies who happen to have medical licenses? Doctors who truly believe in the efficacy of medical Marijuana but also DGAF if randos get their medical card?
It's probably a mix of supporting legalization of pot and wanting to make easy money. I had a friend who worked for a doctor that would do consultations over skype for medical marijuana.
It's similar to when I was in high-school and we had to take a swim test; there was no shortage of doctors who were willing to turn your $20 into a note saying you needed to be excused because of your eczema.