Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DrDork posted:

What case are you using? I have an abnormally large one, so there's tons of empty space in there to allow for excellent airflow. Wonder if that's part of our different experiences?

I also cannot remember if I cracked it open and repasted it with some better goop. It's absolutely something I could have done, but I simply do not recall.

In the case or even out of the case made no difference. I suppose I could have had two bad paste jobs but I just sent it back and ended up with the MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X which had a great cooler and some of the quietest gpu fans I’ve ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If you're rocking a 1060 or higher and don't have to upgrade now, for literally every reason imo, don't.

Lot of new display tech, including next gen HDMI and dp on the horizon. Most powerful console gen relative to average gaming PC is about to drop.

I literally wouldn't even buy an HDMI cord rn if I didn't have to.

Imo now is a horrible time to spend anything substantive on this. If, ofc, that is a concern to begin with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fuf posted:

I'm in the same situation and it's annoying but I think the answer is wait until the next generation.

I was thinking about upgrading to a 2070S but I looked at some benchmarks for games I care about and in some cases it was only like 15-20 extra FPS. It didn't seem worth it for like $400.

You'll get more than 15-20FPS but yeah, in general I am having a tough time justifying the jump. I have a big chicken and the egg situation going on with needing a new PSU, GPU and VR rig so I'm probably just going to drop $1500 when the 3000 series comes out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

B-Mac posted:

In the case or even out of the case made no difference. I suppose I could have had two bad paste jobs but I just sent it back and ended up with the MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X which had a great cooler and some of the quietest gpu fans I’ve ever heard.

Possible, but seems a little unlikely. If I did re-paste it, I'd imagine the stock was less a "bad" paste job as much as simply a generic stock paste job--you often can drop 5C or more on a lot of coolers by using some higher quality paste. Would be nice if I could remember poo poo for more than like 2 days. :shrug:

Glad you found a solution that worked out for you, though! If nothing else, I'm sure the GamingX was cheaper than the Hybrid.

And yes, my room is usually ~22C/72F.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Lol. So many goons getting upgrade anxiety from having to turn down a couple of settings.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Maybe I'm just :corsair: as gently caress but medium gfx in many titles still looks really good to me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ChazTurbo posted:

Lol. So many goons getting upgrade anxiety from having to turn down a couple of settings.

I go through this every few years, since I don't usually upgrade my PC mid-life

I get something that's good enough to drive everything at max or near max details, then stick with it for 4-5 years and by the end I have to dial down the settings more and more and eventually get to "low" and it makes me feel sad and disgraceful

so then I throw it all out and refresh my build, and all is well in the world for 2-3 years, then the cycle starts again

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mindblast posted:

Maybe I'm just :corsair: as gently caress but medium gfx in many titles still looks really good to me.

I still remember playing games at 640x480, and when Goldeneye on the N64 was the pinnacle of 3D shooters. So, yeah, everything still looks really good to me, too, even if it's not at ULTRA MAXXX.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I was playing 1024x768 in college when everyone else was doing 800x600. Now I just play with obsolete hardware that's still fine but really old.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ChazTurbo posted:

Using VR I am very limited in what settings I can turn down, and FPS is pretty important not to get sick. But it's kind of a weird time right now with 7nm around the corner and I'm lazy so

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

If you're rocking a 1060 or higher and don't have to upgrade now, for literally every reason imo, don't.

Lot of new display tech, including next gen HDMI and dp on the horizon. Most powerful console gen relative to average gaming PC is about to drop.

I literally wouldn't even buy an HDMI cord rn if I didn't have to.

Imo now is a horrible time to spend anything substantive on this. If, ofc, that is a concern to begin with.

So my two PC's have old GTX 760 and 770 and since it isn't a DirectX 12 GPU it is running into issues with World of Warcraft. The game just randomly locks up from time to time and is super annoying and the only fix is to go to DX11 legacy mode which kills our already lowish FPS. I know it is a bad time to look at replacing our GPU's but what would be the best bang for the buck right now. We only play 1080P and really just focused on having good FPS in raids.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ChazTurbo posted:

I know, in the GPU enthusiast thread of all places. The last place I'd expect such chicanery.

this guy is the one that plays unmodded minecraft

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

god this blows posted:

So my two PC's have old GTX 760 and 770 and since it isn't a DirectX 12 GPU it is running into issues with World of Warcraft. The game just randomly locks up from time to time and is super annoying and the only fix is to go to DX11 legacy mode which kills our already lowish FPS. I know it is a bad time to look at replacing our GPU's but what would be the best bang for the buck right now. We only play 1080P and really just focused on having good FPS in raids.

A cheap RX 570 or a used RX 580/GTX1060 would suit you well.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mindblast posted:

Same. I keep textures on ultra and everything else medium or even low if it's a faster paced online game because I won't notice those details and all the frames help.

Granted I have to on some newer games simply because of the 3440x1440 res

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

B-Mac posted:

A cheap RX 570 or a used RX 580/GTX1060 would suit you well.

I guess I was just curious if a 1660 for ~200 was worth the extra cost over a 580.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

god this blows posted:

I guess I was just curious if a 1660 for ~200 was worth the extra cost over a 580.

It’s about 15-20% faster. Right now a new XFX 580 and is $160 versus $200 for the 1660. A new RX 570 is ~$120 and is about 35% slower than the 1660. Wasn’t sure what your budget was so I went on the cheaper end.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I would absolutely be buying used GPUs for your stated use. You can get GPUs that will easily fulfill your needs for <$100 a pop, no need to pay the first owner tax when your requirements are so low.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I would absolutely be buying used GPUs for your stated use. You can get GPUs that will easily fulfill your needs for <$100 a pop, no need to pay the first owner tax when your requirements are so low.

I am ok spending a little bit more just saw people posting that it is not an opportune time to buy a video card and wondering what is a decent one to get.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

god this blows posted:

I am ok spending a little bit more just saw people posting that it is not an opportune time to buy a video card and wondering what is a decent one to get.

you saw people saying it was a bad time to buy a GPU so you decided to buy a GPU? :confused:

1660 super, 2060 super, and 2070 super are probably the go-tos at the moment

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 30, 2020

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

you saw people saying it was a bad time to buy a GPU so you decided to buy a GPU? :confused:

The reason I'm shopping now is that there is an issue with WoW with a DirectX 11 video card and I want to play the game without issues since Blizzard's fix is to put it into Legacy mode which kills the FPS.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
And since your only goal is to fix that problem, and now is a terrible time to buy low-end GPUs, you should buy cheap used GPUs that solve your problem without wasting money on things you won't use. You can buy new RX 570s or RX 580s, or you can buy ones someone else bought 3 years ago because the low-end GPU market has been stagnant forever.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ChazTurbo posted:

Literally won't play a game if I can't ultra max it

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Literally won't play a game if I can't ultra max it

You must have some sick hours in vanilla Skyrim!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I have a 1060 6gb and do 1440p60 ok on modern games with just a few settings down. Might get a new card later this year though. Outside of the 1060 3gb the 10 series are probably worth keeping until the console drop unless trying to push 1440p144 or 4k.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

god this blows posted:

Not if you're playing WoW. If you want to step up a bit I bet you can find a 1070 or a 1070ti for around $200. I you really want new (and its totally reasonable to want that) I like the 1660S the most in that range.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Lockback posted:

Not if you're playing WoW. If you want to step up a bit I bet you can find a 1070 or a 1070ti for around $200. I you really want new (and its totally reasonable to want that) I like the 1660S the most in that range.

I appreciate you understanding wanting a new video card over a used one. With that in mind I’ll keep an eye out for used ones and hope that Blizzard can fix whatever they messed up that is causing the game to crash.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

god this blows posted:

I run WoW at 4K pretty well (like, 7/10 in presets) on a 1060 and I'm pretty sure it can max out anything lower than that, so I wouldn't recommend spending much unless you're running at 4K too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So apparantly EVGA doesn't even sell the 2080ti 120mm AIO cooler anymore so I guess that answers our question about it being a little unimpressive relative to a well air-cooled card.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm dying to upgrade from my 970 but Nvidia won't release their new flagship :argh: c'mon Nvidia hurryup get a move on! I want to see if those prices drop.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Cactus posted:

I'm dying to upgrade from my 970 but Nvidia won't release their new flagship :argh: c'mon Nvidia hurryup get a move on! I want to see if those prices drop.

This is the boat I'm in. Getting a bonus that I plan to allocate some of towards a new build in March, but I'm torn between getting a 2070 or something, or waiting to see what the new flagship costs/what it does to prices for video cards.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a 1660 super and upgrading it again in a year...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Lager posted:

This is the boat I'm in. Getting a bonus that I plan to allocate some of towards a new build in March, but I'm torn between getting a 2070 or something, or waiting to see what the new flagship costs/what it does to prices for video cards.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a 1660 super and upgrading it again in a year...

This is a situation where the huge Steam backlog is an advantage. I'm using this time to catch up on games I got in sales 3+ years ago and never got around to installing. And Hades, because Hades is loving excellent.

I'm still impatient though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I consider replacing the GTX 980 in my SFF PC with something faster every month or two. Since I'm not spending $250 for a 30% speed increase (GTX 1660 Super or similar), I figure the minimum upgrade would have to be the RX 5600 XT/RX 5700/RTX 2060 (Super) tier, but that's already $300+ and I realize I don't really play anything that runs badly on the computer yet so the GTX 980 will do fine until it explodes.

Maybe new cards will be cheaper next month :v:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Co-worker wants to repurpose a Dell XE2 for a low power gaming rig for her kids. Only game they really care about atm is Fortnite. What is the best low profile slot powered card for that these days?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Co-worker wants to repurpose a Dell XE2 for a low power gaming rig for her kids. Only game they really care about atm is Fortnite. What is the best low profile slot powered card for that these days?

Nvidia 1650.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Nvidia 1650.

Perfect, that's what I was thinking.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Cactus posted:

New Geforce GPUs are probably not coming until August or thereabouts. Even then I doubt their release will affect prices for in-stock Turing GPUs all that much. Nvidia mandate the lowest price that vendors can charge and they don't want to train people to wait 2 years and always be on current hardware -1. The used market is your best bet.

Now Navi 20 release, that could put price pressure on Nvidia. AMD might show something at Computex, but RTG's record on these things is pretty bad. Launch might not be for some months afterwards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I impulse bought a used 1080 non Ti custom cooler for $240 but with shipping and taxes it was closer to $290 :(

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
What is the overall thread consensus on the rx 5700xt ? I have a sapphire rx480, and the sister computer my cousin uses (with the exact same specs as mine) had his rx480 fizzzt due to a bad psu (mine did as well, but it was still under warranty).

We are looking to upgrade from our faithful i5 2400 sandy bridge mobos, and go to a 3600 ryzen processor. With this in mind, we are both hemming on either a 2060 super, a 2070 super, or an rx5700xt.

My cousin wants his for 4k gaming, me I mostly still game at 1080 at 144 on medium settings (ie overwatcg).

thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Guigui posted:

What is the overall thread consensus on the rx 5700xt ? I have a sapphire rx480, and the sister computer my cousin uses (with the exact same specs as mine) had his rx480 fizzzt due to a bad psu (mine did as well, but it was still under warranty).

We are looking to upgrade from our faithful i5 2400 sandy bridge mobos, and go to a 3600 ryzen processor. With this in mind, we are both hemming on either a 2060 super, a 2070 super, or an rx5700xt.

My cousin wants his for 4k gaming, me I mostly still game at 1080 at 144 on medium settings (ie overwatcg).

thanks!

it's good price to performance but is currently wracked by driver bugs that render it effectively unusable for a lot of people, while others have no problems at all. It's very weird and nobody has pinned down what exactly is wrong yet.

that said the price is not that good, the 2060S and 2070S are about 12% more expensive per frame and have drivers that actually work, so you're paying 90% as much as the "premium" brand for something that may have massive problems. The 5700XT basically slots squarely in the middle of the 2060S and 2070S, it's the same price as the 2060S but faster while the 2070S slots about 12% on top of it but is 25% more expensive.

5700 XT is possibly a bit weak for 4K gaming, as well. 4K monitors are very cheap but the GPU to drive it is very expensive. The 5700XT will be OK for older games but newer AAAs are going to struggle in it, 4K60 has been perpetually "maybe next generation" for years now. The 2080 Ti is the first card that is solidly above 60 fps (around 70fps) in everything (except RDR2 which melts everything at the moment). That's about 40% faster than a 5700XT.

On the flip side, 5700XT is probably overkill for 1080p144, you would probably be fine with a 2060S. But there's no kill like overkill.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Guigui posted:

thanks!

It’s a very good card if the drivers don’t give you trouble. Personally they have given me only minor trouble and the card has performed well for the price. Like Paul said though, there are a number of people who have endless trouble with drivers. If you can buy one from a place with a good return policy I’d try my luck with but return if it ends up giving you headaches.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 31, 2020