Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Batmobile was good, it was just the terrible boss fight with it that sucked and stands out to people, especially since they repeat it for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Although, you gotta admit it was a brilliant troll when the Batmobile is destroyed and a second Batmobile is immediately airlifted in

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved that, especially because it was treated as an epic tearjerking sacrifice

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Dec 18, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This reminds me of something that bugged the hell out of me in Gotham Knights. Ever since the loving Nolan movies, every bat-vehicle has to be an ugly-rear end over-designed tank. Even the motorcycle. They managed to make the least cool motorcycle design imaginable. Bring back the slick art deco vibes of the TAS and the Burton movies. I will not use video game vehicles if they do not look cool, you cannot make me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Tumbler's rad as hell, I'd pick that over an art deco roadster any day if I was a billionaire superheroing around town :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Incorrect.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the batmobile felt like they just didn't have any idea how to further expand the arkham series after 3 increasingly slack games that were built around the same fundamental "just be animated series-type batman" gameplay, so they turned to the next iconic (and v. toyetic, which isn't a bad property for something you're putting in a video game) aspect of the character after spooking criminals and fist fights and gadgets. but the overlap between people playing arkham knight and people who would voluntarily pick up a vehicle combat game was pretty low, and they couldn't figure out a way to either integrate it into the core "lurk in vents, beat up goons, use gadgets" gameplay outside of scripted moments, and they didn't successfully make driving around gotham more fun than flying around gotham. so anytime you were riding in the batmobile it felt like you were just being forced to kill time until you were allowed to be batman again. because you were! there was nothing really mechanically wrong with it imo, it was simply not time spent being batman in the "be batman" game.

and like literally everything in the arkham games, the batmobile suffers from the collectathon list being too long by miles. but that's a deep and abiding sickness in the series and not the batmobile's fault.

Valentin has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Dec 15, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Batmobile should've turned into a robot like that one episode of Batman Beyond.

Yes, I want it to be CG animated as a bipedal robot.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kazil posted:

I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I really liked the Batmobile

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Tumbler really doesn't move like a tank though, it's fast and agile in a way that other batmobiles (including the gorgeous art deco ones) aren't and couldn't be. I don't think it looks great but Begins and TDK really sell it as a functional vehicle.

The Telltale batmobile is a sportscar that can transform and it's great

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FreeDifficultIvorygull-mobile.mp4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like I played a slightly different version of Arkham Knight because from what I remember the Batmobile stuff is largely frontloaded/tutorialized and the Riddler races are not some big aspect - Eddie has his whole own sideplot beyond them.

Though I am also in camp "the batmobile was pretty good" and I do kinda recall prioritizing the races to get them the hell out of the way ASAP...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The equipment upgrade and crafting system in Nioh 2 is way, way, too convoluted for its own good. It's driving me nuts that there's an option that says "improve your equipment's talents" or whatever, you click it; and it doesn't actually do that. What it does is let you replace said talents with random other talents, and their values never increase :psyduck: maybe I'm just missing something, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to actually engage with it at all because it's all layered in so much RNG you might as well just kill monsters until you get the item to drop for all the good it'll do you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My problem with the Batmobile in Arkham Knight is that the devs were clearly really in love with it, to the detriment of other stuff in the game, IMO. I won't go into spoiler stuff, since it sounds like Cleretic is playing it for the first time, but the state of the challenge maps at the launch of the game were loving dreadful.

I love the Arkham combat and stealth, and I ate up the challenge maps in Asylum, City and even Origins. When Knight came out, IIRC there were like five combat maps (one was a tutorial), five stealth maps (one was a tutorial) and fourteen Batmobile maps. gently caress that.

After years of DLCs and some free updates, that's been fixed. There are a ton more challenges of each type (even Batmobile), but at launch it was awful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Batmobile leads to a lot of silly contrivances to maintain Batman's no-kill rule, like electroshock tyres that fling people around nonlethally, or criminals with superhuman reaction times and dodging ability, or enemy vehicles that are mostly drones, or limited APCs that are vulnerable to nonlethal rocket strikes that makes them nonlethally crash.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That got me thinking about the Die Hard Trilogy game for Playstation with the With A Vengeance portion that had you driving around New York, you could run over hundreds of pedestrians and all that would happen is the windscreen wiper would clear the blood off the glass, no fucks given

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Batmobile leads to a lot of silly contrivances to maintain Batman's no-kill rule, like electroshock tyres that fling people around nonlethally, or criminals with superhuman reaction times and dodging ability, or enemy vehicles that are mostly drones, or limited APCs that are vulnerable to nonlethal rocket strikes that makes them nonlethally crash.

I ground a goon under my APC-level tire and then shocked him, but my magic radar says that he's alive, so who knows?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What's the statute of limitations on the "no kill" rule? If a random goon dies from batmobile complications weeks later in the hospital, is Batman free and clear because the guy was still alive at the time he left the scene?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

then they died WITH batman not OF batman, obviously

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's the statute of limitations on the "no kill" rule? If a random goon dies from batmobile complications weeks later in the hospital, is Batman free and clear because the guy was still alive at the time he left the scene?

It's a little known Bat-fact that Batman has a no-kill rule, but the Batmobile has an unholy lust for blood that cannot be sated until it has murdered every last criminal in gotham under its deadly wheels.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rockman Reserve posted:

then they died WITH batman not OF batman, obviously

Gotham Mayor warning everyone to stay inside during lockdown but all the badguys think they have a healthy enough immune system

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kazil posted:

Gotham Mayor warning everyone to stay inside during lockdown but all the badguys think they have a healthy enough immune system

bane is literally the only one smart enough to wear a mask and the one who canonically hosed up batman the worst. coincidence? you decide

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The equipment upgrade and crafting system in Nioh 2 is way, way, too convoluted for its own good. It's driving me nuts that there's an option that says "improve your equipment's talents" or whatever, you click it; and it doesn't actually do that. What it does is let you replace said talents with random other talents, and their values never increase :psyduck: maybe I'm just missing something, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to actually engage with it at all because it's all layered in so much RNG you might as well just kill monsters until you get the item to drop for all the good it'll do you.

Most of the itemization mechanics exist for NG+ and beyond, and on NG you’re best off just throwing on whatever has the highest attack/defense number that keeps you at medium weight. dismantle all/sell all/donate all on everything else.

Eventually you’ll be able to craft an armor set with set bonuses and you’ll want to reroll the affixes on it to things that help your build, since the difference between every affix being “gain 2.3% more gold from poisoned enemies on weekends” and “do 10% more lightning damage” is a pretty big difference on a mage for example when you add it up across all your armor. But on NG you naturally replace your gear too often to stress over it.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Dec 15, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's a little known Bat-fact that Batman has a no-kill rule, but the Batmobile has an unholy lust for blood that cannot be sated until it has murdered every last criminal in gotham under its deadly wheels.

You know what? I'm on board.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Titan Quest: Needing to pry out a suite of keybinds (actually rebind them to the numpad out of the way because you can't null keybinds in the first place) for loot filtering because it's bizarrely easy to hit the wrong key. Not only does hitting one instantly turn off loot names entirely, but it "breaks" the default setting and turns it back to hold-down-a-key mode, necessitating a trip back to the options menu to use the drop down loot filtering option that will actually stick. Just wildly clunky.

And of course beyond that, any ARPG that continues to drop functionally and even borderline monetarily useless common items to the point where they need to be actively filtered out is dumb! I'm towards the end of act 2 and I still sometimes open a chest and it's all low tier junk.

Though on that note another annoying quirk is that loot has physics applied to it, but the name tag doesn't appear until it stops moving. So oftentimes you'll kill an enemy or open something and then pass by a few seconds later only to find that you actually did get a drop of note, the game just didn't highlight it right away.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Titan Quest walked so Grim Dawn could run, mashing M1 to victory the whole way and pausing frequently to double-check its constellation build on the wiki.

That sounds like damning with faint praise but I really do love GD. But the constellations are kind if a drag.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Would explain why he works with the Red Hood, he's used to murderous sidekicks and the Hood probably has fewer casualties than the Batmobile would.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Red Dead 2

• There no's justification for why Arthur has to stash his rifles away.
  • It's obvious noticing the development scars when you see Ambarino, Guarma, and New Austin being bare-bones in content despite being fully-detailed.
  • You can sell a rare perk-granting item by mistake because the game doesn't consider it a key item.
  • The challenge and medal systems are trash.
  • This sort of game badly needed an RPG style interface and quest-log. What the gently caress is with this inventory screen?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Veotax posted:

and fourteen Batmobile maps. gently caress that.

After years of DLCs and some free updates, that's been fixed. There are a ton more challenges of each type (even Batmobile), but at launch it was awful.

If you want all the achievements you have to 5 star the races with each one, too. So run the race perfectly, change skin and do it again, repeat way too many times

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God I hate grinding

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just died in Dead to Rights 2 for a very dumb reason - Shadow glitched out an enemy. I sent him to kill him but he seemed to drag him off the floor vertically in a weird way, and then I could no longer lock onto the enemy as I think the game thought that he was dead, but he could still shoot ME, so there was nothing I could do there.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

kazil posted:

I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I really liked the Batmobile

I liked the Batmobile too

Mostly

Except for one thing

The goddAMN BATMOBILE STEALTH SECTIONS WHO THE gently caress THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Totally didn't post this in the wrong thread last night.
If you think Kojima needed an editor just wait until you hear Justin Roiland's new game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIh4OI6UGTE
Annoying enough the game is a pretty decent-enough shooter when it's not constantly non-stop vomiting words at you for looking at something, or for not looking at something, or for doing a thing it was totally telling you not to do, or for not doing a thing it was totally not telling you to not do.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Croccers posted:

If you think Kojima needed an editor just wait until you hear Justin Roiland's new game!
Annoying enough the game is a pretty decent-enough shooter when it's not constantly non-stop vomiting words at you for looking at something, or for not looking at something, or for doing a thing it was totally telling you not to do, or for not doing a thing it was totally not telling you to not do.

I keep seeing people saying this , but honestly I found the shooting to be mediocre at best.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Croccers posted:

there are only so many ways to describe this, and they will all get me probed in pyf

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

An Actual Princess posted:

there are only so many ways to describe this, and they will all get me probed in pyf

You can say the phrase "doo doo rear end garbage cashgrab", it's fine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hel posted:

I keep seeing people saying this , but honestly I found the shooting to be mediocre at best.
I didn't say Doom levels Good :colbert: , just decent enough.
It does fall apart if you're half-decent at pulling off headshots with Morty-gun though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
roiland’s mojo jojo-esque reiteration of every drat thing doesn’t work without Rick and Morty’s snappy pacing. there’s seldom anything actually funny about his dialogue, there’s just so loving much of it that it becomes the joke

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Most of the itemization mechanics exist for NG+ and beyond, and on NG you’re best off just throwing on whatever has the highest attack/defense number that keeps you at medium weight. dismantle all/sell all/donate all on everything else.

Eventually you’ll be able to craft an armor set with set bonuses and you’ll want to reroll the affixes on it to things that help your build, since the difference between every affix being “gain 2.3% more gold from poisoned enemies on weekends” and “do 10% more lightning damage” is a pretty big difference on a mage for example when you add it up across all your armor. But on NG you naturally replace your gear too often to stress over it.

I went and looked it up after you explained it and holy poo poo why doesn't the game just explain it in-game so I know not to waste time doing anything but blitzing the story. Time to do that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oxxidation posted:

roiland’s mojo jojo-esque reiteration of every drat thing doesn’t work without Rick and Morty’s snappy pacing. there’s seldom anything actually funny about his dialogue, there’s just so loving much of it that it becomes the joke

Rick and morty is far inferior to solar opposites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's not besmirch Mojo Jojo by comparing him to Justin Roiland.