Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Powered Descent posted:

A related bit of trivia that I think is neat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

For a few applications, like high-sensitivity radiation detectors, you can't use steel that was made after 1945, since it's all ever-so-slightly radioactive. (Steel production involves a lot of air being blown through it, and as mentioned, that air now has various radionuclides in it, which will end up in the metal.) So to build your super-sensitive detector, you need a source of high-quality steel that was made before the first atomic bomb went off. The main source of this? Sunken warships from the First World War.

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Fortunately for modern radioimaging, the commander of the German High Seas Fleet decided that after their ships were interned in the Scapa Flow, it would be preferable for them to be sent to the bottom than to suffer the ignominy of being split up between the Allied nations.

They didn't gently caress around, either.

quote:

the German crews had spent the idle months preparing for the order, welding bulkhead doors open, laying charges in vulnerable parts of the ships, and quietly dropping important keys and tools overboard so valves could not be shut

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Prewar steel is cool, but raiding medieval church roofs and Roman shipwrecks for old lead is cooler.

Lead ore comes from the ground contaminated with lead‐210, ultimately from the decay of uranium‐238. Refining the lead removes the uranium and most of its daughters, but no chemical process can separate lead from lead.

If you want your lead to be less radioactive, and you can’t afford a facility full of ultracentrifuges*, the only thing you can do is wait. Its half‐life is twenty‐two years, so it takes centuries for it to be suitable for some applications.

*If you do have ultracentrifuges, Mossad wants to know your location.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where's the 2020 election-specific chad-enfreude thread? Does one exist?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grouchio posted:

Where's the 2020 election-specific chad-enfreude thread? Does one exist?

This one might be the one you're after, it started as the regular Trump thread and then devolved into "lol they lost"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946225

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Memento posted:

This one might be the one you're after, it started as the regular Trump thread and then devolved into "lol they lost"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946225
Cool, cool. What pages does it turn into 'lol they lost'?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember reading a short story a long time ago that had an interesting premise and I'd like to read it again.

I think it took place on a bus, and it's basically a conversation between a regular person and God, or a god, who explains that there's a process for a species to become a god. They have to attain a certain degree of (technological?) advancement, and we as humans have made it to the step of creating nuclear weapons so that now we, as a species, have the power to destroy ourselves and our planet. Of course, it's very primitive compared to the power of a god, but it's only one of the first steps with many more to follow. Then he describes how this power (of destruction?) becomes easier and easier to use, where eventually every individual member of the species will be powerful enough to destroy the world at will, but none of them chooses to, at which point they'll have becomes gods.
I'm not explaining it very well, but that was the basic gist of it. I remember it being written pretty methodically, like a lecture clearly outlining every step of the way but in the form of a conversation.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This it?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yup, thanks. Interesting to read again a decade later. Every once in a while it would pop into my head but I could never figure out the right terms to find it on google.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The terms were “conversation with god bus nuclear weapons”.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol, yeah, for some reason I thought there was an egg involved or something, maybe that threw it out of whack. Also I didn't try very hard I think. :v: Thanks again!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You might have gotten that from Andy Weir’s “The Egg”, which passed around the Internet for years before he hit it big with The Martian

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Can anyone tell me what the writing around this pic is/means? Or anything about the pic? Or if there's a better, more specific thread to ask in?

Thanks!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

You might have gotten that from Andy Weir’s “The Egg”, which passed around the Internet for years before he hit it big with The Martian

Oh yeah, that's definitely it! I only vaguely remember reading that, but it must've been around the aame time. Cool to reread it, thanks again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can anyone tell me what the writing around this pic is/means? Or anything about the pic? Or if there's a better, more specific thread to ask in?

Thanks!

I tried googling the words and found this which is similar/identical to the insert.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1855-1201-72

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Memento posted:

Google Play Music no longer exists. I used the app to listen to music from their streaming service, which I subscribe to, and listen to podcasts that I downloaded from Patreon or wherever. Youtube Music now has all my streaming library and playlists etc, that's fine, but there doesn't seem to be a way to listen to downloaded podcasts on it. Is that correct? Android 11.whatever on a Pixel 3a phone.

Guess I'll go back to whatever music app I used before Google Play Music. I can listen to the audio file straight from the downloads window, but it doesn't save where I'm up to, and now that I don't have a commute, I generally can't listen to a whole podcast in a single sitting. The firstest of the first world problems, I know, but still.

I have the Google podcast app which works okay. It let's you download tracks if you are in a place with spotty service. The issue is when it forgets everything that I've subscribed to and what I've listened to.

I started using spotify after the 3rd time it erased my profile...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's an Android app thread in IYG. I'm using AntennaPod for podcasts because my needs are simple.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried googling the words and found this which is similar/identical to the insert.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1855-1201-72

You rock, FGR. I was having a hard time reading the letters thanks both to my lovely eyes and the elaborate font.

Super cool that it's a prayer to St Catalina, and my name is a variant of that! So, many thanks!

(It's stuff like this that makes me proud of these here forums.)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Are you doing a bit? It says saint Catherine (catharina).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Quabzor posted:

I have the Google podcast app which works okay. It let's you download tracks if you are in a place with spotty service. The issue is when it forgets everything that I've subscribed to and what I've listened to.

I started using spotify after the 3rd time it erased my profile...

Yeah I use that for other podcasts I'm subscribed to through there, and it seems to be pretty good about remembering where I'm up to and even being able to pick back up on my desktop. I just want one of the audio player apps on my phone to also be able to play downloaded audio files.

El_Elegante posted:

Are you doing a bit? It says saint Catherine (catharina).

quote:

Saint Catherine of Palma (1533–1574) was a Spanish nun canonised in 1930. She is also known as Catalina Thomás, Caterina Tomàs i Gallard, and Catherine or Catalina Thomas or Tomas.

She's got lots of names my goon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you're the oldest son of your father, who is an earl, and he dies, you become the new earl, right? But what happens if you then legally change your gender and you have a younger brother? Do you become a countess or does the title pass to your brother?

I don't know if the rule about boys taking precedence over girls was scrapped for everyone in 2015 or just for the monarch specifically, but if that's the case then I want to know what would have happened in this scenario if it had happened in 2014 or earlier.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

If you're the oldest son of your father, who is an earl, and he dies, you become the new earl, right? But what happens if you then legally change your gender

You're talking about a monarchy, which by definition makes the rules/laws. So the answer is "whatever the hell they want" is what happens.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tiggum posted:

If you're the oldest son of your father, who is an earl, and he dies, you become the new earl, right? But what happens if you then legally change your gender and you have a younger brother? Do you become a countess or does the title pass to your brother?

I don't know if the rule about boys taking precedence over girls was scrapped for everyone in 2015 or just for the monarch specifically, but if that's the case then I want to know what would have happened in this scenario if it had happened in 2014 or earlier.

Believe it or not, but the fight against male precedence is actually a minor campaign/discussion in circles of nobility right now. These things move slowly though.

I think a matter that includes gender reassignment would have to be tested in court. But given that unborn babies have received titles, I think the now female but male-identified at birth countess would be allowed to hold their title. Not if you draw a conservative rear end in a top hat as judge perhaps

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here’s an article from 2016 on the subject: https://www.tatler.com/article/trans-toffs

quote:

Until 2004, transgender people were not formally recognised
by English law in their acquired sex. Then came the Gender Recognition Act (GRA) 2004, which allows them to be fully recognised in their new gender by the law, provided they meet certain criteria. But the lawyers who thrashed out the act must have debated the issue of trans toffs, because they made one exception. Section 16 states: 'The fact that a person's gender has become the acquired gender under this Act (a) does not affect the descent of any peerage or dignity or title of honour, and (b) does not affect the devolution of any property.' So, as the law stands, the marquess's transgender brother would not get the dukedom.

Things may have changed more recently of course.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have a 4k computer monitor. Is it possible to play a game in windowed mode with 1920x1080 resolution?

My computer struggles to run some games in 4k, and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve connecting the 1080p monitor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a 4k computer monitor. Is it possible to play a game in windowed mode with 1920x1080 resolution?

My computer struggles to run some games in 4k, and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve connecting the 1080p monitor.

Yes - but you might still run into issues. My suggestion is to upgrade your video card. You don't have to get something top of the line to drive 4k in video games. Might still need to spend a few hundred bucks, but it'll work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Unless I'm missing something, couldn't you just dial the fullscreen resolution down a bit? It'll make everything slightly blurry which is annoying but also means you don't need anti-aliasing :v:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Easiest way to display something from my PC to my Samsung TV? I could connect it via a 30 foot HDMI cable but I'm sure there are better options? I just want to display something on the TV when I stream some TV shows so I can sit on the couch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is your TV on the home wifi? Can you cast to it from your phone?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have a long run of HDMI over cat 5. The cable is a bit more flexible and there's flat one you can stick to the skirtingboards with double sided tape or hide under a carpet etc

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Easiest way to display something from my PC to my Samsung TV? I could connect it via a 30 foot HDMI cable but I'm sure there are better options? I just want to display something on the TV when I stream some TV shows so I can sit on the couch.
Chromecast, probably. Assuming you mean "easiest" as in "requires the least work, and I don't mind spending $30."

This assumes you have a wifi network.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you have windows 10 and your samsung is a smart tv you shoukd be able to miracast to it. My lg smart tv came with it and its free. You just click on the notification section of the task bar or select project from the start menu, then select connect to a wireless device and then click on your tv in the list

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Regarding brain implants such as Neuralink, what sort of protection exists to prevent brain-hacking? If insufficient, how would brain implant cybersecurity be updated or augmented?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grouchio posted:

Regarding brain implants such as Neuralink, what sort of protection exists to prevent brain-hacking? If insufficient, how would brain implant cybersecurity be updated or augmented?

Congratulations being more worried about it than the people making it are

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Memento posted:

Congratulations being more worried about it than the people making it are
Answer the question Memento

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, without being flip, the current answers to your questions are "there is none" and "no one knows"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ask in the SECFUCK thread in YOSPOS for laughs.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It doesn’t really “work” at all. It looks for certain electrical pulses and reacts to them. Spoofing those would be the same as spoofing the interface that it reacts with. It’s pretty much one way.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Grouchio posted:

what do you think neuralink does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

what do you think neuralink does
Rather than what it does, I find it a forerunner to proper brain implant tech. Hacking the brain is going to be a serious ethical/legal concern in the mid-century.