Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I had a buddy pick up one that crashed all the time too, though this was before the AIBs came out. He got fed up, returned it, and bought a 2070S and I don't fault him for doing so. It'd be real nice if there was some rhyme or reason to who they work for or not. I still stand by it being the right choice for anyone whose willing to deal with the potential issues, problematic cards / systems appear to be a minority and it's a considerable jump in price for the 2070S. But to anyone who's not of the disposition to deal with it or doesn't have an easy to work with retailer (or really wants those last handful of frames) the 2070S isn't a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at "real-world non-nerd users".

just looking at my friends, it's either enthusiasts/work compute folks and people with a prebuilt desktop/laptop that move to new machines when they need a performance boost.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's been bluescreening every 10 minutes for 2 months now

have you, uh... considered rma'ing the card????

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The last time bluescreens every 10 minutes were happening with my ATi card it was because the 40mm fan on it was completely filled with dust and was not moving, so be sure to check that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, fair, I'll RMA it before we write it off. They may be exaggerating the frequency, they're frustrated with the crashes. I'll deal. I don't doubt the screenshot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 1, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe that's the best way forward, I give them $300 and I use it for Linux. It really actually does work on linux for reals this time, right?

Even slow-to-adapt stable/server distros like RHEL work with it. You'll find almost any game without complicated anti-cheat methods (Destiny 2 and this stuff) works in Linux, though, and faster than bare metal Windows.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 1, 2020

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Craptacular! posted:

Even slow-to-adapt stable/server distros like RHEL work with it. You'll find almost any game without complicated anti-cheat methods (Destiny 2 and this stuff) works in Linux, though, and faster than bare metal Windows.

Does anyone have a good guide for setting this up? I'm on a 9900kf and a 2070 and I'd love to just use pop OS and wine every day but I'm too stupid and ugly to figure it out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

I'm actually lucky that Valve made sure Team Fortress 2 will run on whatever :q: It will... actually run better on AMD Linux with a shitload of GameCache(tm). It will also probably run faster and more stable on Linux. You cannot defeat me in my present form.

viva la linuxution

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ta-dah!

The second fan finally arrived and I installed them. Got the adapter to connect them directly into the GPU too! Is it ok if the fan cables are touching the heat pipes? Pretty sure it is, but just to be completely safe.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 1, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

I still remember playing games at 640x480, and when Goldeneye on the N64 was the pinnacle of 3D shooters. So, yeah, everything still looks really good to me, too, even if it's not at ULTRA MAXXX.

Goldeneye on N64 was never even close to being the pinnacle of 3D shooters. It was always a weird low-resolution console game that ran terrible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sininu posted:

Ta-dah!

The second fan finally arrived and I installed them. Got the adapter to connect them directly into the GPU too! Is it ok if the fan cables are touching the heat pipes? Pretty sure it is, but just to be completely safe.

Yeah that's fine they won't get hot enough to melt the insulation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lambert posted:

Goldeneye on N64 was never even close to being the pinnacle of 3D shooters. It was always a weird low-resolution console game that ran terrible.

Introducing my Goldeneye playing friend to ut99 and quake 3 was pretty upsetting (for him).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

Goldeneye was an excellent game though. The variety of weapons, the multiplayer, the charming campaign... it really stood apart from the basic "shoot man in face" games on PC at the time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved those games too, but disliking Goldeneye just because it could barely hit 30 FPS at 320x240 and had an awkward controller is silly. It was a great game that I remember fondly. Perfect Dark only built on that foundation, but was pretty much pushing the N64 too far. Try playing PD in 16:9 high-res mode (it's actually supersampling on the x-axis!) and see how far the frame-rate plummets. Still looks great though, even though it can practically be a slideshow (I've played it recently extensively on a 75" 4K TV. RGB modded N64, Framemeister). Yes, I own the 360 arcade version that runs at 1920x1080 at 60 FPS, but where's the fun in that?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 1, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sininu posted:

Ta-dah!

Hello old friends (Strong Noctua Proponent here)

Tbh I should clean mine.... Although I'm either way cleaner than I assume or clean more often than I assume because nothing ever has really any buildup ever.

I think I never should have done retail PC repair stuff when I was younger. Some smells and sights you don't forget

E: for clarity I -know- I shouldn't have done retail PC repair , it was just a figure of speech. Lol what a miserable shitsistence

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sininu posted:

Ta-dah!

....that is a new center hub and post design I have never seen for Noctuas before. When did they change to that?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....that is a new center hub and post design I have never seen for Noctuas before. When did they change to that?

It's yet to be announced, can't tell much more!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Isn't it just nf-a12x25? It's relatively new, but I've had a couple running in my htpc for a while.
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-pwm

If I had cash to burn, I'd replace all of my 120mms with them

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't it just nf-a12x25? It's relatively new, but I've had a couple running in my htpc for a while.
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-pwm

If I had cash to burn, I'd replace all of my 120mms with them

Yeah, they're those. I wish I ordered two instead of one since I pulled one of them from my case and replaced it with the stock Fractal fan. It took 3 weeks to arrive, out of stock everywhere here.
I also thought that post was a joke when it likely wasn't now that I thought about it more...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Statutory Ape posted:

I think I never should have done retail PC repair stuff when I was younger. Some smells and sights you don't forget

Speaking of smells, I love the smell of new PC hardware, dunno why. Any time I get a new part or build a new rig the smell from the components is weirdly soothing to me.

E: also got around to finally swapping the fans off my Zotac Mini 1070, I found 2 Noctua 92mm (NF-B9 redux 1600) fans that fit perfect & aren't too loud at full speed but I've been tweaking the speeds since they're plugged into a chassis header on my mainboard. So far they've been great, GPU is still clocked at 1700/8900, boosts to around 2050-2100 consistently & never goes over 62ºC when I was running benchmarks at 1440p high/ultra in tests like Heaven or Superposition. Idles even lower, around 23-24ºC, it was surprisingly easy to pop the original shroud/fans off since they were just held on with 4 screws to the heatsink itself. I need a better solution to hold the fans to the heatsink though, zip ties didn't do the trick so right now I've got sort of a ghetto mod rubber band solution until I can find some kind of other way to keep them attached without worrying about the rubber band degrading. Thinking something thin like picture wire or twist ties, maybe even if I can find some paper clips & bend them in a way that I can run them through the original shroud hole mounts on the heatsink & through the screw holes on the fans themselves.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

nerdrum posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for setting this up? I'm on a 9900kf and a 2070 and I'd love to just use pop OS and wine every day but I'm too stupid and ugly to figure it out.
The first, and easiest thing I can start off with, is to realize that there's WINE that you pull from apt like any other Linux program, but WINE can have multiple versions and "Windows installations" installed. Running Windows games on Linux can and inevitably will involve a lot of library redundancies. Because of the huge amount of Windows software out there, WINE is the kind of project where a new patch breaks compatibility with some random number of the thousands of programs people run, so having multiple versions installed simultaneously is a feature and tying programs to specific versions instead of running everything under the newest version is actually a strength. The solution to managing this is to have a launcher that keeps a profile of which versions and settings to execute with each specific program you use.

The first baby-steps mode is using Proton (a modified WINE) aka "Steam Play" to play your Steam library. By default, Steam only shows games that either have native Linux executables or are verified to work 100% with specific versions of Proton. For instance, if I install DOOM 2016 on Linux, it also downloads Proton 3.16 (not the very latest version) because that version was tested to work perfectly within that game and who needs to run the game on the very latest build if an older build is tested perfect? In the Steam settings, there's a Steam Play page that allows you enable Steam Play for any game in your library, not just the ones that are guaranteed to work. You can use ProtonDB to see what games work well with what Proton version since each game's properties allows you to specify what version you want to use with which game.

Beyond that, Lutris is a game launcher that combines creating custom profiles for each game, with emulators, with an online scripting database that allows you to write scripts so anyone can easily install all sorts of games. If you have to make your own Lutris setup, the key term to remember is "prefix". Each WINE prefix might as well be considered "another Windows installation" to WINE. You basically want every video game you run to have it's own prefix, specified to a version of WINE that works. That means every video game has a minimal C:\ drive of it's own, sort of like creating a VM, rather than installing everything in one default prefix. That prefix itself means you can install the VC runtimes, or Media Foundation, or custom fonts or whatever you need for one specific game, without those affecting any of the other games.
Example: I play Hearthstone and Overwatch on my system, but each game has it's own copy of the Blizzard launcher that has just the specific game installed, and I had to sign in twice, because the best versions/settings for one game isn't necessarily the best for the other.

I don't know if your PopOS is LTS or regular, if you're using 19.10 onwards, consider adding the WineHQ PPA and installing the "staging" build that includes a lot of early-release patches for games and stuff. I can't help with that, because I use Fedora where staging is included out of the box. There's also a package called gamemode that is a library that reduces system overhead so games perform better; which is good for high end games and can be added to a game's profile in Lutris.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 1, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
How is that even close to worth the time?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

How is that even close to worth the time?

For most major games someone has made a script for you that installs it and makes it work. Most games from Steam work out of the box, and it's largely constantly updating "living games" that require regular attention. League of Legends is probably the most difficult one, someone went as far as to make changes to the Lutris install script that looks for a library and asks you if you want to disable it to improve performance. Most people buy their games on Steam, and 82% of non-native games are ranked either platnium or gold or silver in the ProtonDB stats. Which means for many people there's not much time needed to invest. You want to play, say, the Yakuza games? Fine, they work right out of Steam. Final Fantasy XV? Works.

For most older games, people make one Lutris script that handles the installer and it works forever. I manged to install Star Trek Elite Force from 2000 with no problems. I got Halo Master Chief Collection working just hours after release by following some YouTuber's config.

To have all my old rear end Windows 9x games, modern games, console emulated titles, and so on all managed and launched through one launcher is pretty great. I can see that part not being for everyone, but if you like Blizzard games then having Lutris to run those and keep things compatible with them for you isn't too bad. A lot of this stuff is an extension of the containerizing/VM-ing of software into their own little pens that you see in the business world, and when it comes to twenty year old games that want to spew stuff all over C:\WINDOWS and add custom registry entries, etc, having a dedicated sub-system for handling that game's peculiarities is kind of cool.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Elite force mention in 2020 gently caress yeah

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Statutory Ape posted:

What was especially neat was that it downloaded and automatically included installing the last made patch from the Lutris web site, since most deadware like this predates official sources for those things. You had to sit in a 25 minute queue at FilePlanet or some poo poo like that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I had a subscription to a download service to avoid that lol. Summer hustle money put on a prepaid Visa so I could download CS mods and start some CS servers from some hosting company.

Obviously I sold admin rights and then just kept doing the same thing on other servers so that my clan could eventually have "for free" a really big server, voice server , web hosting, and practice server

That was probably the most fun lemonade stand I ever had lol

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Update, still coil whine. I'll live with it I suppose

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't know what else you did, but try overclocking / downclocking by just a few MHz. Sometimes they resonate at particular frequencies and you can push them out of it enough to reduce it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't know what else you did, but try overclocking / downclocking by just a few MHz. Sometimes they resonate at particular frequencies and you can push them out of it enough to reduce it.

Hm, worth a try. I've noticed it does it playing The Witcher 3 but not Rez Infinite. I'll play with it in Afterburner later

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Have you tried undervolting to keep the fan speeds down?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ganondork posted:

Have you tried undervolting to keep the fan speeds down?

My card is watercooled :v:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Statutory Ape posted:

I stayed up many a school night playing the demo version, when I should have been finishing an essay or report or something.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You see, changing the voltage can alter the resonance so the sound goes away. Overclocking or under-clocking can do the same. If the whine annoys you it's worth goosing around the settings a little. I'm not sure why they mentioned fans since you are saying it's coil whine.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

You see, changing the voltage can alter the resonance so the sound goes away. Overclocking or under-clocking can do the same. If the whine annoys you it's worth goosing around the settings a little. I'm not sure why they mentioned fans since you are saying it's coil whine.

Yeah that's what I going to try as per a previous poster. I've been too caught up in DQ11 today to try it though

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I put a waterblock on my 1080 Ti and holy moly it sounds angry when running firestrike.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The new NV driver expands the FPS limiter range to 20-1000 so you can cap at 30fps for 4K monitors or whatever now.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

The new NV driver expands the FPS limiter range to 20-1000 so you can cap at 30fps for 4K monitors or whatever now.

Ooh, sweet thx. Will definitely want to see how the frame pacing is at 30fps.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Where is the fps limiter tool located? And did we figure out it's better than using RTSS? Thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Where is the fps limiter tool located? And did we figure out it's better than using RTSS? Thanks.

According to the Battle(non)sense guy NVs limiter has identical lag and frame pacing to RTSS, so NVs wins just by the virtue of not having to inject anything into the game process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

According to the Battle(non)sense guy NVs limiter has identical lag and frame pacing to RTSS, so NVs wins just by the virtue of not having to inject anything into the game process.

I tried it with Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is a notoriously difficult game to get good 30fps frame pacing, only Nvidia half-rate refresh works to eliminate stuttering but with even more lag (the game has bad lag on all platforms ootb). Unfortunately this is even worse - not as good frame pacing and seemingly (?) even worse input lag. That's one game though, I'll try it with others.

Requisite "god drat update the control panel" Nvidia, especially after that Battle(non)sense video where with AMD you can actually have control of these features on-the-fly from within a game with the overlay.