Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stare:

Were they...trying to do that

e: beaten

Do they all do that

I would assume not.

I’m not sure I’d ask a retired DC/MD/now Boeing test pilot about that because I’m afraid the answer might be “oh yeah, you should try it in an MD-11”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

tbf, if I don't check the thread title I can get the GiP CE thread, the NYC thread and the airpower thread confused because there is a startling amount of crossover topic wise

Same thing happens to me with this thread and the milhist thread.

Like, four or five times in the last year there was a really idiotic derail in that thread and I was half way through typing out "loving move on and talk about bumps on F16s or something" and then I checked the title and went "whoops, not mod here."

edit: once in a while the reverse happens. Something dumb is going on here and I'm like "ugh, maybe I should drop a comment in the mod forum or PM whoever runs this sub to give them a heads up that poo poo is getting stupid. . . . wait a minute."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I posit that DC-9s are always thread relevant.

The only thing that could make it more cold war is if it was delivering a nuke.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I just realized that the stall video ISN'T a simulator.

:stonk:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

tbf, if I don't check the thread title I can get the GiP CE thread, the NYC thread and the airpower thread confused because there is a startling amount of crossover topic wise

Same except CSPAM instead of NYC

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stare:

Do they all do that

Not ones that are still flying

:downsrim:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I just realized that the stall video ISN'T a simulator.

:stonk:

The animation that popped up showing the relative position made me think that too, but then i realzied the angle the light was coming in was shifting.

:barf:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I like the little pats on the back: "good job, we're not 30 feet underground"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

hobbesmaster posted:

It took me a second to figure out what I'm seeing here. That's impressive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Look up the 737-200 COD they proposed.

Better yet, I know I've posted this link before, but: https://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/05/airliners-landing-aircraft-carrier-oh-yes/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Look up the 737-200 COD they proposed.

Better yet, I know I've posted this link before, but: https://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/05/airliners-landing-aircraft-carrier-oh-yes/

This comment is interesting

quote:

Hello All – Sorry about coming late to the party.
My Father, Bruce Rayfield, was the Boeing engineer that came up with this concept. If you have an early edition of “Legend & Legacy: The Story of Boeing and Its People” by Robert J. Sterling you will find a small excerpt about the project. Just look up my father’s name in the index. It was “last one out of town..turn out the lights” era of Boeing in the 60’s and everyone was figuring out how to keep the company alive. My father thought a commercial derivative may have some opportunities in a military application.
They actually used a T-43 737 nav trainer that already had a tail hook to test the viability of an arrested landing. They successfully landed the T-43 on the carrier deck test runway at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.
The calculation for weight to thrust ratio for the 737 with full flap indicated it would not need a catapult to get off the deck. This was proven later when the Navy did test land a 737 on a carrier deck as indicated by a Boeing historian 20 years ago. They used full thrust reversers to land (no tail hook) and full flap/throttle to take off (no catapult).
The Navy looked closely at the 737 COD proposal but found a flaw in the concept. They could fold up enough of the 737 wing to fit it on an aircraft carrier elevator but they could not fold enough of the tail to get it into the lower deck. The Navy was unwilling to tie up an elevator to offload/load a COD. This would have a high impact on the efficiency of the aircraft carrier during operations.
So…all that is left is the excerpt in the” Legend & Legacy” book and the concept painting (shown on this page), which I inherited from father when he passed in 1997.
Cheers!

I wonder if it could be corroborated. Maybe the USN would have some records or something that'd be FOIA able?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Landing a 737 on a carrier without a tail hook and taking off without a catapult is basically Flight Simulator 10 :v:

large hands posted:

I like the little pats on the back: "good job, we're not 30 feet underground"

I like the hats, they're like train conductor hats.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s 717 number 1. The engineers had no idea why its stall behavior was a little weird so they asked for more stall testing and then that happened.

And?

What did they find?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is the only info I've seen on that test: https://www.avgeekery.com/time-boeing-717-went-inverted-testing/

The wing roots of an airplane are supposed to stall first so you still have roll control throughout a stall. In the video presumably the entire right wing stalled causing the plane to roll on its back and depart from flight control.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Platystemon posted:

And?

What did they find?

The wings didn’t fall off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some rando on Reddit says:

quote:

In this case the two wings were not aligned equally which created a stall in one wing prior to the other which induced the roll. That plane was the only flying one that had that condition. Hell of a recovery especially when they were anticipating the nose would drop straight down.
Those guys were very unhappy when they landed.

Former McDonnell Douglas/Boeing guy

quote:

I hear you but we ended up having to put in place additional checks when we mated the wings together at our subtler in Palmdale. It was a tooling issue that created the situation to begin with. Another one of those times when all the holes in the various processes lined up perfectly to create a fault.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Some rando on Reddit says:

So they didn't know it was going to roll, jesus that's ballsy they didn't panic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

And?

What did they find?

That massive testicles help stabilize the plane

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

So they didn't know it was going to roll, jesus that's ballsy they didn't panic.

They're both probably USAF TPS or USNTPS graduates, they've probably both departed from flight control and recovered from it on all sorts of aircraft.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They're both probably USAF TPS or USNTPS graduates, they've probably both departed from flight control and recovered from it on all sorts of aircraft.

From the YouTube comments they claim the guy in the left seat was a former blue Angel pilot and longtime naval aviator

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then based on the age of the video they might've even deep stalled C-9s for the navy!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm curious if anyone could tell what their altitudes were when they lost control and again when they regained it. It looks to be... a lot less.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm curious if anyone could tell what their altitudes were when they lost control and again when they regained it. It looks to be... a lot less.

15000 down to about 9500ish. The co-pilot taps the pilot on the arm as they're passing 10000 and they level out soon after, still it's like 5000 feet in 30 seconds.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Same thing happens to me with this thread and the milhist thread.

Like, four or five times in the last year there was a really idiotic derail in that thread and I was half way through typing out "loving move on and talk about bumps on F16s or something" and then I checked the title and went "whoops, not mod here."

edit: once in a while the reverse happens. Something dumb is going on here and I'm like "ugh, maybe I should drop a comment in the mod forum or PM whoever runs this sub to give them a heads up that poo poo is getting stupid. . . . wait a minute."

where's the milhist thread I want to talk about tank destroyers and so strategic bombing in ww2

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Smiling Jack posted:

milhist thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896814

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Smiling Jack posted:

where's the milhist thread I want to talk about tank destroyers and so strategic bombing in ww2

:getin: You're going to make friend fast.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Blistex posted:

:getin: You're going to make friend fast.

:thejoke:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let’s talk about Buran.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Let’s talk about Buran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2e-HLxHGs

I don't particularly care about the Buran but I love the Energia, it's my kind of brutalist ugly. Some soviet engineer was in a design room and got told,

"This design isn't going to lift what we want - add more rocket"
"Where?!"
"Everywhere"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love India’s PSLV for having a solid‐fuel third stage.

The second stage uses liquid propellants.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I will forever love the Indian space program for solving an engineering test problem by sticking a communications satellite on a wooden ox drawn cart

They needed to move it around for the tests and they couldn't use a truck as the metal interfered with the communication array, so instead of building some wildly expensive test site or vehicle or whatever they stuck it on a wooden cart, and towed it around the test range.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but Arms Control Wonk pod up on the Saudi attack.

https://www.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/1208107/an-iranian-missile-attack-on-saudi-arabia/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49751536

probably a pun in there but i didn't get enough sleep last night to find it

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

bewbies posted:

Some power electrical engineer had a really bad day when they had to power down 10000 houses and a couple of turbines.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

:thejoke:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bewbies posted:

French, fried?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bewbies posted:

Well, it's a good thing he didn't piss himself. There's an apocryphal story (the logic is sound, but the source was my high school physics teacher) where a line worker got his gantry stuck on a high-power line, and was fine...until he had to take a piss. The second the stream hit the ground, :supaburn:.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, it's a good thing he didn't piss himself. There's an apocryphal story (the logic is sound, but the source was my high school physics teacher) where a line worker got his gantry stuck on a high-power line, and was fine...until he had to take a piss. The second the stream hit the ground, :supaburn:.

Mythbusters tested peeing on the third rail, and found that the stream is so broken up by the time it hits the ground, it doesn't carry electricity well.

Then again, that was with a few hundred volts, and a 100kv+ line will probably behave slightly differently.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NightGyr posted:

Mythbusters tested peeing on the third rail, and found that the stream is so broken up by the time it hits the ground, it doesn't carry electricity well.

Then again, that was with a few hundred volts, and a 100kv+ line will probably behave slightly differently.

Yeah, the difference in this (again, apocryphal) case was that the gantry was already grounded on the high voltage line, but when the stream hit the ground, the current found a new pathway. >.>

-----

Because Science did a decent breakdown on "Rods from God": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Q2zlOdmr4

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the difference in this (again, apocryphal) case was that the gantry was already grounded on the high voltage line, but when the stream hit the ground, the current found a new pathway. >.>

-----

Because Science did a decent breakdown on "Rods from God": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Q2zlOdmr4

Covered just about everything except the logistics of quickly de-orbiting an 8 ton rod from whatever is launching it and that while the kinetic energy it's carrying might be similar to the explosive power of a MOAB it'll end up sinking most of that energy into punching a deep hole in the ground.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 20, 2019