Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I may be over-nerfing them, but when I say "adjusted brackets" I mean something like this:

Aaaah, so you're giving Pulse Lasers the Snubby PPC treatment and increasing their short and medium ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: the LB-X autocannons need to be actually bad at something. Or at least not "best in show" compared to every other autocannon.

Any weapon that wasn't mentioned probably won't matter for the terms of the mission.

Edit: This spritework is going to kill me. I'm up way too late and I'm nowhere near done. I really need some help.

This is what I'm shooting for:

If anyone has a free moment and wants to try a little coloring I'd really appreciate these being given the same treatment. I've already done the bits I intend to make 'glass' in blue, I just need the rest colored in from low/dark to high/light.

Anyone who can pitch in and do even one (or part of one) would be much appreciated.

I'm working on this guy:

(if anyone else grabbed some)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I don't think there's too many flubs or inconsistencies, but I'm sure there's a couple!

(I'm going to fool around with gimp or photoshop and see if there's a faster way to do those heh because I was clicking pixels in paint.)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 28, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'll try pitching in on number 3 there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Gonna start on

too.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

This might work, I'm not sure I'm fitting your style sheet though. I may have been too random.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 28, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

As an aside I think this is a really cool aesthetic even if it makes zero sense architecturally lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm giving my mousing finger a break but I can probably do the last one pretty quickly since there's a ton of pieces that are easy to copy and paste.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Fixed some errors I found on the first one I did:

Working on that last one now, too.

e:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 28, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Thank you all for the help! That was a big load off my shoulders!

vorebane posted:

This might work, I'm not sure I'm fitting your style sheet though. I may have been too random.

A bit too random, but I appreciate the effort. This is a start I can work with much more easily.

Here's the usual height map teaser. It's looking pretty flat... I guess that's what happens when you fight on one of Luthien Armor Works' artificial islands.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 28, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ooooh, a crashed dropship. I hope it has surprises.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ok I'm glad it can still be useful. I'll give number 2 a swing and try to be less spastic this time.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
What are the pink and green patches?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just tried to fill in what looks like the lowest levels first with the darkest shade, then worked my way up one at a time on the palette. (With a few darker bits on the high levels for accent)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

What are the pink and green patches?

The Hell's Horses haven't been watering the grass.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Hell's Horses haven't been watering the grass.

Ahhh, yes, that's why I was confused.

Nature? On LAW Property?? On Black Luthien???

:psyboom:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ok so I've discovered I'm really good at being spastic. I think this should be better though. Thank you for the opportunity to screw with your wonderful sprite work!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Will we finally discover the fate of Hero of the Draconis Resistance, Korean Robert?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Nature? On LAW Property?? On Black Luthien???

Balance in all things. It can't all be assassin-filled zen rock gardens and koi ponds. Besides, trees make decent canaries. If they're dying on the spot it's time to put the plant into detox mode again.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Besides, trees make decent canaries. If they're dying on the spot it's time to put the plant into detox mode again.

"Detox Mode"; Gotcha (smile)

:flame:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dolash posted:

Will we finally discover the fate of Hero of the Draconis Resistance, Korean Robert?

You mean Tai-i Hanso Steele?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Will we see clanners with tandem charge warheads?! :black101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Will we see clanners with tandem charge warheads?! :black101:

That experiment died with Takashi Kurita, hopefully. Plus Clanners almost never use regular SRM racks to fire them out of.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Simplifying some plans now that I'm writing down numbers and have had a chance to sleep on it. gently caress all those autocannon dice.

Current Autocannon Plans:
- AC/2 is now the Light Autocannon. 5 damage, Clan LB-5X ranges. I don't think this is any way overpowered because AC/2s are complete garbage.
- AC/5 is now the ER Light Autocannon. 5 damage, Clan LB-2X ranges with a twist: Min 10, Short 20, Medium 30, Long N/A (Yes, that means it's +0 ToHit from 11-20 hexes, and +2 to-hit from 1-10 and 21-30). See AC/2. King of medium-long range, but the damage is still lovely.
- AC/10 is now the Heavy Autocannon and gets the Clan LB-10X ranges (6/12/18). Yes that's basically a lower-heat ammo-eating PPC. No, I don't see any problems with that.
- AC/20 is now the Assault Autocannon and gets the Clan LB-20X ranges (4/8/12)
- LBX and Ultra Autocannons are unchanged except they get the old standard Autocannon ranges. I want the specialty autocannons to be sidegrades rather than direct upgrades, they sacrifice a little range for damage/critseeking.

Pulse Laser Plans:
- Large Pulse Laser is getting 10 damage 4/8/12 range. Short but viable. The -2 ToHit is staying even though I hate it. The Sagittaire is even more of a monster now between pulse lasers, a targeting computer, and its new "friendships shmendships" quirk: improved targeting short. Yeah, that means the Sagittaire's pulse laser range modifiers are effectively -4/-1/1 I mean, they were before too but holy poo poo did I not want to give Large Pulse Lasers any extra range for them to abuse.

:smithicide:

- Medium pulse laser is 7 damage 3/6/9
- Small pulse is 5 damage 3/6/-

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now I want, like, a modded version of Megamek to play around with all these changes, it seems really cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Super ultra ER AC/5 is more BV than an LB-10X

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

- LBX and Ultra Autocannons are unchanged except they get the old standard Autocannon ranges. I want the specialty autocannons to be sidegrades rather than direct upgrades, they sacrifice a little range for damage/critseeking.

The Lights/LBs/Rotaries/Ultras are better than standards to compensate for the greater relative boost DHS gives energy weapons and missiles, as a note.

It probably won't matter here since you can also select both the OpFor and player 'mechs, but it's something to keep in mind. The big problem with ballistics is that they started out weak-ish and ended up weaker after DHS came along.

Titans of Steel, which is a heavily Battletech-inspired PC game, solved this problem by giving all 'mechs shield systems that only worked against energy weapons and reducing the power of ammo explosions (like, you'd normally only have 1 or 2 rounds of ammo exploding which is Bad But Survivable). It's an interesting thought but would require a deep level rebuild of the mech design system. It also had some pretty cool rules for damaged systems that still worked but less effectively and a pretty neat mech construction system.

It felt very 3025-ish, except without the golden BB explosions. Mechs tended to last a while even under heavy fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Now I want, like, a modded version of Megamek to play around with all these changes, it seems really cool.

If you can tolerate circa 2014 builds there's a patch that never got merged to allow loading custom equipment via xml files. But that wouldn't let you mess with the custom minimum range rules.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

The Lights/LBs/Rotaries/Ultras are better than standards to compensate for the greater relative boost DHS gives energy weapons and missiles, as a note.

They're better because the original autocannons were never balanced and Clantech made that imbalance more obvious. I'm just playing around here because I want to actually field a JagerMech (which quirks crippled even more) and I don't want the pilot to feel cheated that they were given a JagerMech rather than something good.

If it goes bad I'll revert the changes mid fight if need be.

dis astranagant posted:

Super ultra ER AC/5 is more BV than an LB-10X

It's only one shot for five damage. I'm also still playing with the ranges, we'll see what happens if one of the Clan `Mechs winds up with an AC/5.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 29, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

- AC/5 is now the ER Light Autocannon. 5 damage, Clan LB-2X ranges with a twist: Min 10, Short 20, Medium 30, Long N/A (Yes, that means it's +0 ToHit from 11-20 hexes, and +2 to-hit from 1-10 and 21-30). See AC/2. King of medium-long range, but the damage is still lovely.

For some reason I cannot wait to see this.

[madden]
"Now, now look, sometimes you have to let the quarterback use his arm and make plays down the field. And this guy, he's really got a cannon. If you want to, uh, to keep the defense honest you need that in your offense. That'll put points on the scoreboard for you."
[/madden]

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was really hoping I'd have the update done today, but let me share what I've been struggling with. I downloaded the latest version of MegaMek which replaced all the nice, clean `Mech TGAs with... this.

VVV A JagerMech. Also a nightmare to clean up into something I can use.

A 15-20 minute sprite coloring job has turned into an hour+ clean-up process.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What the gently caress is that poo poo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's only one shot for five damage. I'm also still playing with the ranges, we'll see what happens if one of the Clan `Mechs winds up with an AC/5.

It is but 30 range with nothing but short and medium brackets gets around that nicely, given a map to abuse. I'd loathe to run into some kind of Annihilator variant wielding them on a hill or open ground. Even if it gets stuck brawling everything counts as medium range under your system changes. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, if nothing else.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

That experiment died with Takashi Kurita, hopefully. Plus Clanners almost never use regular SRM racks to fire them out of.

Fine fine. STREAK tandem charge warheads. :unsmigghh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Defiance Industries posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo

Someone just discovered Photoshop's outer glow tool

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thick enough outline that you can magic wand that poo poo away pretty easily

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Thick enough outline that you can magic wand that poo poo away pretty easily

Nope, too much of the outline shares colors with internal details. Trying makes it a disgusting mess. I always do shadows by hand anyway, it just means I have to redo the outlines to get what I want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can't you just grab them from an old version? No need to clean up garbage when backups exist.

If you don't have an old version handy and don't want to play guess which version you need I could zip up the images folder from version 40, it has good lineart.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 29, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I always did a little cleanup anyway (because sometimes the old linearts had rare very dark blue pixels rather than black and because my preferred shading doesn't always match MegaMek's). It's unfortunate that I've got to do this for every sprite, but it just means the linework gets to look very bright and colorful while I clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Titans of Steel sounds neat, and is apparently freeware.

Those weapon changes seem to give weapons actually viable niches, which is great, I apparently haven't got the Battletech chops to imagine how they'd play out though. It does seem to be yet another reason canon Battletech should stop everything and start reading this thread, though.

• Locked thread